Community MetaSteam | November 2021 - Bienvenidos a Mexico. Sombreros no incluidos

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Oh, november! New thread! Yay!

Also I have gotten messages from two people today who got screwed by "Vote for my csgo team" phishing scams. What the hell?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
For information, I only have 1 blocked person on my list of contacts on Steam. It is someone who has managed to message me on Steam Chat without being in a common group chat with me, and without being among my contacts, obviously. I don't think he is a scammer, but he is clearly a hacker.

To this day, I have no clue how he has been able to do this.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
Anyway, nothing to do with the phishing going on.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Mor

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ge0force asked me if I could help him, asked him with what, he wanted me to vote for his cs go team, deleted him as friend, sorry dude, but someone is on your account.
I'm really sorry. I got a similar message from @Mileena and was so stupid to vote. The scam site is using what looks like the official login page from Valve (https and everything) and uses it to take over the account. After that, the same question to vote was sent to everyone in my friendlist. I suddenly got tons of messages on Steam and WhatsApp.

I've de-authorized all devices and changed my password. I hope I'm fine now. My apologies!

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
lol just launched FH4 and got greeted by an announcement for FH5 but they called the game "Forza 5"... :thinking-blob:

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm really sorry. I got a similar message from @Mileena and was so stupid to vote. The scam site is using what looks like the official login page from Valve (https and everything) and uses it to take over the account. After that, the same question to vote was sent to everyone in my friendlist. I suddenly got tons of messages on Steam and WhatsApp.

I've de-authorized all devices and changed my password. I hope I'm fine now. My apologies!
No worries, you can re-add me if you want.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don't click links people send to me and I haven't clicked any of the spam ones going around, but do let me know if I message any of you so I can deal with it asap.

• This!

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I actually troll a lot of these "hackers" and also click their links. Nothing actually happens until you enter your "real" credentials. Just enter total crap and reassure the hackers that you voted. One got so annoyed that he removed me from his friend list :white-frowning-face:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I got hacked last year too (was it last year?)

I didn't have 2FA at the time, only email steam guard, which was on me. The only thing they did was play CSGO for a while, realize I had no items, then got my account back in a few hours thanks to support.

Stay safe friends.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
These phishing attempts are getting more sophisticated over the years. Sometimes I got emails trying to change my password with the same exact header and lettering which my bank uses. Like, the only difference is the email address, so if someone isn't careful to look (and/or doesn't have 2FA), that's game over.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Kinda of feeling left out... no spam messages for me either. And I have both Ge0force and Milena on my friends list.

Was it because I was in invisible mode? Maybe non-public inventory? Or.... it was something about me?? 😭

Edit:
These phishing attempts are getting more sophisticated over the years. Sometimes I got emails trying to change my password with the same exact header and lettering which my bank uses. Like, the only difference is the email address, so if someone isn't careful to look (and/or doesn't have 2FA), that's game over.
Oh yeah, they are very clever. It doesn't help that every company over here these days sends the bills/proof of payment over email, and sometimes they have data leaks. So it's not uncommon to get a very legit looking email with even some of your info.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Its November already :confused-face:

Best and worst thing about this month is black friday so what is everyone shopping for this year?

I'm gonna look into some nice wireless over ear headphones and maybe finally jump in on a 4k monitor.

Also great thread lashman :cat-heart-blob:

• Hug

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I do use it. The site seems to mimic the official 2FA login from Valve and I think it uses a fake Chrome address bar to give the impression that the site is secure.

Feel free to see how it works, as long as you don't enter your "real" code from the Steam app it shouldn't be harmful:
Uh... I don't if it's a good idea to have a live link to the scam site here because the forum generate the preview of the link. At very least it appears to be fetching a image from their server even if you don't click or anything. (I'm probably talking out of my ass now...)

But yeah, that's clever. It's simulating like it's opening a new browser window with a correct Steam URL and "Valve" as a certificate name, but it's just a layer inside your current browser. Very legit looking. It also placed Firefox in the "window" title so it's not only for Chrome.

Very easy to fall for this.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Oh, that's pretty convincing. They didn't just replicate the steam login prompt but built a website to mimic a browser window too.

The illusion breaks if you try to maximize or minimize the "window". The window controls also looks a little blurrier than any native app does on my end, probably because I'm on a 4K TV with 200% scaling. So it probably looks right on any non-scaling screen.

But yeah, never ever login to steam through a page like that. Open steam in another browser tab and login through there. If you are already logged in but the real looking page still says you are not logged in, abort abort.

Deleted member 113

One of the good things about seasonal events is that it sometimes motivates you to get off your ass, and finally play certain games. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The latest one:

I'm rather enjoying it. It's a survival/adventure game, where you gather resources, and try to escape with your son during a zombie pandemic.
Yeah, I know, zombies yet again. Not to mention it, "survival" is usually enough to scare me away from a game. But this one has a nice, melancholic vibe to it, from the graphics, to the piano soundtrack, that I rather like. It's well worth a look. (y)

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Does anyone know if the Windows Store version of Forza Horizon 5 will have cross-progression with the Steam version? I am currently planning on playing the game through Game Pass for PC but I am thinking down the line that I'll pick up the game eventually on Steam when it goes on sale.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao