Community MetaSteam | November 2021 - Bienvenidos a Mexico. Sombreros no incluidos

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Happy birthday to one of the RPG GOATs I'll fight all nerds who disagree
My favorite moment from Final Fantasy XV was when it was over.

Lmao and there it is. Don't really care either way but at least now I'll have the option of playing AC Valhalla down the line' I guess. I still need to finish Origins' DLC and then play Odyssey, though, so not anytime soon. Can't really think of anything else by them that I'd really give a shit about. Oh, the new Splinter Cell if it doesn't turn out to be complete shit.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
5€/$5 coupons for fanatical. minimum $20€.

[Hidden content]
I used the first one to buy an impulse anniversary gift to myself. Made Nocturne 20 euros or so.
Not gonna jump on it but I will definitely play it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
It's probably one of those weasly way of saying something but it is so vague it can mean anything or more likely mean nothing.

So have they sold as well as the games used to sell on Steam? Almost definately not.

Have they sold as well as Uplay (or whatever the hell it is called now)? Again very likely not.

However they have probably sold better than a lot of the other exclusives on EGS, therefore they have sold well.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Interesting thread, shows how many games with a lot of user reviews just aren't covered by mainstream media at all. Some commercial opportunities will only open if you have official reviews on Metacritic.

There are also some devs that won't release a 1.0 version until they straightened out the EA PC version a bit. Because a Console or 1.0 version will mean a final Metascore

That begs the question: Are they releasing too soon anyway when they "bemoan" that the metacritic score doesn't reflect the patched product.
Or is that the world we live in and most game are only finished after the public played the EA/Beta version for a few months/years?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Funny, earlier today I was reading these hidden gem lists off-site and kept seeing the same popular indies over and over, so I was thinking about asking what people's favorite games were that aren't on meta/opencritic.

I thought to sort my Steam library by metascore and then making a collection out of the unrated games, but unfortunately you can't make a selection that way.

Anywho, a couple of my favorites that would fit the bill are BallisticNG, Hexcells, Pictopix and Higurashi When They Cry.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Funny, earlier today I was reading these hidden gem lists off-site and kept seeing the same popular indies over and over, so I was thinking about asking what people's favorite games were that aren't on meta/opencritic.

I thought to sort my Steam library by metascore and then making a collection out of the unrated games, but unfortunately you can't make a selection that way.

Anywho, a couple of my favorites that would fit the bill are BallisticNG, Hexcells, Pictopix and Higurashi When They Cry.
Interesting idea, here are my picks.
I'm noticing that Steam seems to miss a few that do have Metacritic scores, also there's a surprising amount of games that have console scores but not PC ones - I left them out if I thought they're quite known (i.e Subnautica Below Zero, various Ys games,... ), but there are probably still some of these in the list.

1bitHeart
428 Shibuya Scramble
Anima: Gate of Memories
Hexcells
Higurashi
The House in Fata Morgana
LiEat
Lobotomy Corporation
MO: Astray
One Finger Death Punch
Pharao Rebirth+
Skautfold: Shrouded in Sanity
Skautfold: Usurper
Touhou Luna Nights
Umineko
The Vagrant
World End Economica Trilogy
Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament
Gujian 3

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

There are also some devs that won't release a 1.0 version until they straightened out the EA PC version a bit. Because a Console or 1.0 version will mean a final Metascore

That begs the question: Are they releasing too soon anyway when they "bemoan" that the metacritic score doesn't reflect the patched product.
Or is that the world we live in and most game are only finished after the public played the EA/Beta version for a few months/years?
It's an interesting point, many games nowaday keep getting updates and the experience may change drastically like the Metacritic reviews for NMS hardly reflects how the game is today, the negative critics were justified though Hello Games kept working on it, but the situation could be vastly different if it was labelled as an early access title.

About the 1.0/Console version, I've heard/read similar opinions, some even said that even if the game is successful on pc it may not even exists for some publications if there isn't a console version.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
It's an interesting point, many games nowaday keep getting updates and the experience may change drastically like the Metacritic reviews for NMS hardly reflects how the game is today, the negative critics were justified though Hello Games kept working on it, but the situation could be vastly different if it was labelled as an early access title.

About the 1.0/Console version, I've heard/read similar opinions, some even said that even if the game is successful on pc it may not even exists for some publications if there isn't a console version.
I was reading a Sable review where 1/2 of it was based on bugs that were fixed in the first few days. It sucks, but that's going to be the review forever.

Raw Fury messed up by not pushing it back a tad.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Note to self (and others): DO NOT give a single F about cosmetics and progression in Halo Infinite
The game is awesome and I haven't had so much fun in PvP since Rocket League (at launch - f 'em going with Epic), but the battle pass and cosmetics were making me approach it with a bad mentality. The objective says "capture the flag"? Doesn't matter, you have to snipe 5 flying vehicles for the weekly challenge, so camp in a corner and don't help your team. Defeat 10 enemies conquering your zone? The game mode now on rotation is Slayer, so quit every game until you get the right one, and so on.

I really hope they change the progression system, because while I can ignore it I know an increasing number of players will play bad just to stay on track with the weekly challenges
Also known as achievements, and how they ruin the experience.

Quelaag beaten in Dark Souls, ok....I get why the series is beloved now.

The lore is DEEP
The Zwei is LONG.

• Eyes

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada

That's quite sad. GOG was the only alternative to Steam that I felt like was bringing something truly interesting to the table. Unfortunately it also had a problem where some developers would just stop updating their games on the platform after a while (presumably because of poor sales) so it made buying newer stuff there kind of a gamble.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

I mentioned midyear I heard other services had been cutting into GOG's already precarious position. No super duper insider information. It is a situation that I do not see improving anytime soon since there are a few companies on the scene who are riding losses in order to gain market share. GOG was already working on a shoestring budget and could never match without more funding, which will not materialized.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Just in case people don't miss it:

Neverwinter Nights is on sale on Steam & GOG
I mentioned midyear I heard other services had been cutting into GOG's already precarious position. No super duper insider information. It is a situation that I do not see improving anytime soon since there are a few companies on the scene who are riding losses in order to gain market share. GOG was already working on a shoestring budget and could never match without more funding, which will not materialized.
Well there's another thing that also hinders GOG releasing more & more Old games which is it's super difficult to untangle the spaghetti that is the mess of who owns what for licensing and all that nonsense.

Microsoft was having massive problems doing the same exact thing with their backwards compatibility stuff for Xbox and they're not working on 20+ year old games.

While Microsoft said two years ago it had “no plans to add additional original Xbox or Xbox 360 titles to the catalog,” the surprise addition of more than 70 games will be the final time we’ll see new backward compatible games. “While we continue to stay focused on preserving and enhancing the art form of games, we have reached the limit of our ability to bring new games to the catalog from the past due to licensing, legal and technical constraints,” explains Peggy Lo.
Older PC games or more over just older games runs into the problem of finding the owner of licenses for games defunct companies that no longer exist then asking for permission or buying the rights or what have you. A lot of it isn't nearly as simple as people think. The whole notion of abandonware doesn't really exist in the scope of when you're going to sell stuff again online.

Which also leads back to then they've (in theory) got to put time back into making the game playable on modern hardware.

Last edited:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I have a strong feeling that people that did purchase Ubisoft games from Epic did it because of the coupons stuff that they will sometimes do.
I know a few people that have specifically bought stuff from EGS that was from ubisoft because it ties it to your uplay account and them tossing out massive coupons/sales so they could grab stuff that that was normally 60$ for 5$ - 10$

Once they did that since it gets tied to your uplay account you don't have to do anything with EGS again

I already ran into that problem because I'm a huge fan of Assassins Creed and half of my collection is on uplay and half is on Steam (I'd prefer steam since it has achievements/cards that I give a shit about, I know uplay has achievements)

• Eyes

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I know they're popular to shit on, but I'd welcome the return of Ubisoft to Steam. I still wanna try Division 2. Had a lot of fun with Ghost Recon. R6 Siege is my most played shooter ever. And the last couple AC's are really pretty, if a bit long but can be paced out with a break here and there. So I don't overly mind them when I want a pretty open-world romp.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, gog was made, did well & grew as Steam dominated as they have since the beginning (even though competitors like Stardock have always been coming and going, mostly going and for good reason). If any storefront had an impact on this and other smaller sellers then it must be a newer development like say, EGS taking all their visibility away, which by the way could be inferred from both statements in this very article and their previous huge news, where they said they'd stop providing customers their fair price package program in a futile attempt to lower the 30% cut they used to take (though I dunno if that actually went anywhere, it's clear where pressure for it came from), since Steam has just maintained business as usual so if they're the cause gog would have never been viable. It's also worth remembering gog shifted away from the good old games it thrived on, maybe they should have capitalized on that and if they then found they've exhausted the classic PC library (which they haven't mind) they could have moved to console & arcade libraries (outside first party stuff I suppose, unless they managed some sweet deals, which isn't impossible) and offering roms & isos with emulators (much like they do DOSBox and ScummVM based releases, this is a field with potential given many people get the classic collections just to access games legitimately in order to then run them in their own emulators of choice) rather than try and be just another store without (but at times with and other debacles) DRM and largely the same games as everywhere else, but far from all, or getting their own client going, or stop charging in $, or whatever else people never wanted from them. Oh well.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
And now there are several publishers that do the same thing that gog did in the beginning, like Zigurat, Piko and Nightdive. Zigurat and Piko have released emulated arcade and console games, something GOG was supposed to do at some point.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It does suck having different companies with different quality levels (some times the same company) do so. If gog (or anyone else) did roms/isos it would ideally have a set of standards, like a PC Virtual Console/Arcade service, but including releases by all of them in their store anyway. Nightdive was among gog's early partners in such releases after all but I guess the money was no longer there so they started selling everywhere. Maybe doing it early on they'd have shaped the current retro releases so we wouldn't have so many different styles, some good and many bad, some with roms accessible and others not, etc.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
XP changes coming to Halo Infinite tmr. Sounds pretty good to me. Have some rewards to winners would be even better.
Yea I would much rather they award a little extra for doing things like winning, double kills, being best on your team, having least deaths etc etc. The little fun competitive things.

At the end of the day its just levels. People want to see progress bar level up so who gives a shit. Make more levels so people level up more frequently for the satisfaction. Make more junk items to give away every time you level up. There is really no fix to battle passes.

New modes/maps/events/weapons are the best thing to look forward to with this game. I really want to see them push this engine and their infrastructure. Give me a larger 24vs24 mode or a battle royale. Give me more fun and clutch team modes other than oddball/ctf.

I don't expect much from everything else.

Deleted member 113

Downloaded Erica, it's 36GB! I'm going to assume it's like 4K video all the way through or something.
A friend told me at least 11GB are audio files for "alternate" languages.
He was lamenting the fact that these languages weren't DLCs that you could disable on the DLC tab, since that would surely save some bandwidth.

FunnyJay