Community MetaSteam | October 2019 - The Horrors Of Empty Wallets, A Digimon Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Monooboe and all other achievement hunters
Steam has responded regarding the achievement rarity list

Sounds like they haven't done anything to the achievements since it was introduced to Steam. I hope that they do more with achievements, more stats hopefully :D
Haha wow untouched since 2007.XD But yeah hopefully when they fix this and they are working on the new system they realize that they could also do something more.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
At the very least they should allow different (customize-able by the devs) "achievement lists" per game. Commonly for things like base game and individual DLCs, but could also be uses for Single/Multi player achievement distinction or even just game speficic categories.
That would be nice.

Reactions: lazerfox

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Motion Twin transfers development of Dead Cells to new studio Evil Empire
But Motion Twin themselves remain as a Co-Op. I guess this is just to deal with differences on how to deal with the realities of developing a large team to continue providing new levels, and things.

I feel it's also a bit weird to think of "co-ops" as being truly different from "capitalism", since even a Co-Op can always decide to just spin-off, as seen here.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Ohhh nice. they using full steam integration or we got no idea yet
One thing that always really annoyed me with FIFA was that you can't launch it without having this stupid config menu pop up first which you can't even navigate with a controller. Just start the damn game! Also I can't believe there is still no in-game graphics menu. I mean come on how many FIFA games are there already and they can't manage to include it year after year?

If they do the steam inegration right. I'll get it day one. Otherwise I'm gonna wait for FIFA21 and see if they make the necessary improvements.

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I activated my 4 months of free Game Pass last week to play Outer Worlds....

but instead I only played Forza Horizon 4 :coffee-blob:

its a really cool game tho, and looks gorgeous...
I probably play more of that before diving into OW :drinking-blob:
I hope 505 don't botch the PC like every major title they had at launch
I mean they are publishing it, but who is doing the "port"?
maybe its even in house at KojiPro

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
One thing that always really annoyed me with FIFA was that you can't launch it without having this stupid config menu pop up first which you can't even navigate with a controller. Just start the damn game! Also I can't believe there is still no in-game graphics menu. I mean come on how many FIFA games are there already and they can't manage to include it year after year?
That is a pain, any time I ever play a FIFA game it's on my TV so I have to remember to bring my wireless keyboard/mouse to get rid of the menu. I haven't play 20 yet, but another thing, why don't they have HDR in the PC version when it is in the console ones?

I activated my 4 months of free Game Pass last week to play Outer Worlds....

its a really cool game tho, and looks gorgeous...
I probably play more of that before diving into OW :drinking-blob:
I bought Forza before pc game pass. Was well worth it, played the game a lot and loved it. Waiting on the DLC to go on sale and I'll go back to it then.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
EXTREMELY fucking disappointed in them right now, not gonna lie ...
I was too, but reading the article, I can understand some of the motivation. It seems like their implementation of the co-op model needs some tweaking. Programmers shouldn't be able to hamstring the design team, using one of the examples from the article. Anyway, that was a fascinating read.
Man, I know Programmers should have minimal input on graphic design decisions because it's not in their expertise, but did they really need to have a branch where it goes against everything they stand for? The article basically says "we don't have war chest, pay inequality, less input from other people but we want that to happen anyway because it's easier". Really disappointed in them, especially since I thought they were leading the way to a better work environment for the game industry. And naming that branch Evil Empire is not funny.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Happy Halloween Eve Meta.

The high holiday is nearly upon us.

Tonight I curry favor with the dark lord technology by sacrificing my old razer controller over a pentagram of ancient RAM modules.

May his bits guide my next technological year to greatness.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Man, I know Programmers should have minimal input on graphic design decisions because it's not in their expertise, but did they really need to have a branch where it goes against everything they stand for? The article basically says "we don't have war chest, pay inequality, less input from other people but we want that to happen anyway because it's easier". Really disappointed in them, especially since I thought they were leading the way to a better work environment for the game industry. And naming that branch Evil Empire is not funny.
yeah, pretty much all of this

they just decided to not even try doing it the co-op way (which are absolutely possible at any scale) and instead just went "fuck it, capitalism is good actually" ... sigh ... so disappointed

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Remember Kojima said Guerrilla Games sent him a drive with their engine on it and told him its his for the game. So they modified b4 it was suitable for what they wanted to do with DS.

So yea it I doubt anyone else would be able to easily port it to PC. It has to be an internal job otherwise it could be a disaster.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
From the dev of Battlesloths:

It's a miracle that indie games come out at all really.

Battlesloths is mostly a no budget game. When we were originally making it I was unemployed living off a credit card. Battlesloths was something I worked on while looking for another job. Then humble bundle came along and really dug our game. We were one of the early humble original games (the second one, I think) so a lot of the process was still pretty early. For example, we are before the trove program had been conceived.

The humble original deal amounted to something like 15 cents per game. It funded about 1 months worth of development. Which was enough to get some hardware to make sure the mac build wasn't busted, get a good score from Jason Graves, and a sweet rap song from some of our nerd core friends. Almost all of the money was spent on marketing and development.

battlesloths 2025 was far more substantial, taking almost a year, making at least one developer completely broke (me) and putting mental and physical health in a pretty bad state. We really put it all on the line. Adding online was not easy.

There was a disagreement about how we dealt with the humble bundle keys obligation.

Personally... I didn't think it was a big deal. In a userbase that factors in the millions, ~120K keys out in the wild could only help get us noticed. Even still... what percentage of humble subscribers would have even looked at our game had it not been in that bundle. I figured even 2 years ago that only a small percentage of humble monthly subs would even use those keys. So I pushed for what is now known as "2025" to be distributed. It was unfortunately a deal breaker leaving us with a hard decision of whether we go it alone or get with a publisher. Hence... Battlesloths became Battlesloths 2025, a sequel.

The plan was to circle back when I had time and whip together a steam version of the classic edition. It just never became viable. Having 2 battlesloths skus on steam would have been confusing too. When the contract expired... it just made more sense to honor our original promise to fans to give these keys.

Better late than never, right?

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
"we don't have war chest, pay inequality, less input from other people but we want that to happen anyway because it's easier". Really disappointed in them, especially since I thought they were leading the way to a better work environment for the game industry. And naming that branch Evil Empire is not funny.
You wouldn't pay programmer who can only code 'hello world' and the one doing OS kernel the same either. I don't know about you but the idea of always trying to convince 10 other people and then the next dude convincing 10 other ones is like 80% of dev time was spent on convincing.jpg. Just horrible.

Reactions: xinek
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
An EA employee said that they'll look into the regional prices for Star Wars:

oh thank fuck ... hopefully they'll actually do it!

(also - paging MegaApple)

Maybe I should apply and get selected with high amount of salary. I could then use that money to buy all Steam games.
but Tim would be your boss ... do you REALLY want that? :p

Reactions: MegaApple

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
You wouldn't pay programmer who can only code 'hello world' and the one doing OS kernel the same either.
I don't know why you made a non-realistic scenario that doesn't have to do with anything I'm saying. Obviously convincing 10 other people waste dev time, but they could've managed to figure and work that out. I'm surprised they haven't done that since they've been around for more than a decade.

Reactions: lashman

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I really like it :p
Me too in theory but I don't understand how it decides what to show and there should be a refresh button. And give me a link to directly go to here (and redesign that page).

Only fake Germans can resist them fast cars. You passed the test.

Only one month left until I get my drivers license back, then it's off to the races again. 🏎 🚓 🚓 🚓 🚓

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Everyone is equal in the company meaning they all get the same salary. With the newly formed company Evil Empire, they are scrapping this model; the co-op model.
If I recall right, I read in an interview that their model does not scale, according to them.

You wouldn't pay programmer who can only code 'hello world' and the one doing OS kernel the same either. I don't know about you but the idea of always trying to convince 10 other people and then the next dude convincing 10 other ones is like 80% of dev time was spent on convincing.jpg. Just horrible.
That was something like that.

Reactions: xinek
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
If I recall right, I read in an interview that their model does not scale, according to them.
their implementation might not ... but co-ops as an idea can scale to whatever

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
their implementation might not ... but co-ops as an idea can scale to whatever
Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. You would probably have to segment the company according to area of expertise, with some kind of process in place to deal with input from other areas -- for example, if some design person doesn't like the software architecture (swapping around the annoying programmer who blocks design lol), it takes more than just one person to cause useless delays.

Also, based on my experiences in corporate America, it's also pretty easy for a dumb shit in a high management position to constantly make stupid decisions and negatively influence work and progress. On top of that, consider how the vast majority of upper managment don't actually deserve their positions. And then throw in the yes-people and sycophants. Ugh. I'd be interested in reading more about what works and what doesn't with the all equal kind of organization.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. You would probably have to segment the company according to area of expertise, with some kind of process in place to deal with input from other areas -- for example, if some design person doesn't like the software architecture (swapping around the annoying programmer who blocks design lol), it takes more than just one person to cause useless delays.

Also, based on my experiences in corporate America, it's also pretty easy for a dumb shit in a high management position to constantly make stupid decisions and negatively influence work and progress. On top of that, consider how the vast majority of upper managment don't actually deserve their positions. And then throw in the yes-people and sycophants. Ugh. I'd be interested in reading more about what works and what doesn't with the all equal kind of organization.
it can work and scale to whatever size you want it to ... it just takes a bit of commitment and thought

case in point:

Reactions: MJunioR

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Well, it's a console-like experience, only smoother and at higher resolution.
Still a pity it doesn't have bells and whistles.
Thats what I’m referring to. I feel that by purchasing these subpar version I’m telling Kt that this shit is okay when its not.

Reactions: MJunioR

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Random Twitch loot no one was waiting for appears.

They cool. Now those other wannabe Germans down there though.... :blobxorcism:

Turtles coming back?

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Random Twitch loot no one was waiting for appears.

They cool. Now those other wannabe Germans down there though.... :blobxorcism:

Turtles coming back?

Activision brining back licensed games?

Reactions: JMTHEFOX and PhaZZe
Status
Not open for further replies.