Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
i got a new tablet and have been trying to login in on the steam app but it keeps saying i have had to many attempts on this network for days now. how can i get this fixed? everything ive seen has said to wait or use a vpn and i dont have a vpn. ive waited 24 hrs a couple times now and nothing works.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Drool :blobdrool:
But one thing I'm wondering, these ultrawide monitors must need a beast of a gpu to feed them ?
It's actually not too bad, since it's basically two 1080p monitors side-by-side. The Samsung G5 (5120x1440) is much hungrier.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Deleted member 113

Sometimes, I'm the last guy on the planet to play certain games. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

3 years after buying it, I finally started playing... Sonic Mania. :giggle:
In my defence, at launch I had problems with the game (on launch day, I was unable to launch the game, something related to the DRM solution used), and it remained unplayed until today.

Yeah, I can see why it got a positive reception.
It's a lot of fun. It's a bit of a "best of" game, referencing stages from past entries, but adding some new tricks to its formula.

Playing that first stage, I wish this team would remake the first Sonic. :)

The game (and DLC) are on sale until tomorrow, in case anyone is yet to play it.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Secret of Mana has been enjoyable so far i'm more or less halfway through and it's sort of the game I needed after Evenicle.
I have considered purchasing Trials of Mana after I finish this but I might also just wait until the halloween sale to get Atelier Lydie & Suelle to complete the mysterious trilogy, assuming that game goes on sale, otherwise it'll be Christmas sale material I guess.

• Love
Reactions: ISee and Echoes

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lets take a look at some coop games this time in "Discoveries in Discovery Queue"!

Cake Bash

It's Mario Party but with cakes, and muffins and donuts. Do muffins and donuts count as cakes? Otherwise it should be called Sweet Bash. It has a demo you can try too!

Fight to be the tastiest cake in Cake Bash! A frantic four player party game where adorable drawn-to-life cakes beat the crumbs out of each other.
Pick your favourite cake and battle in a variety of lifelike arenas with unique goals - cover yourself in sweeties or hurl fruit into a pie, there’s plenty for everyone!
To cool down, try an assortment of minigame treats - roast perfect marshmallows, pipe the finest frosting, or be the last flan standing in Fork Knife.
Guide your cakes through the bakery as they dress to impress the customer in Get Tasty! Buy delicious toppings in a series of games to be the chosen one...
You could also just play your favourite mode again and again, it’s up to you!
Compete on the same screen, find challengers online or battle well-baked bots. It’s time to get out of the oven and into the fray!

Abracadabrew

Memory game for up to 4 players where you need to remember as many recipes as possible!

Abracadabrew is a fun and chaotic, memory-based, local couch co-op game for 1 to 4 players. Cooperate with your friends while using your memory skills to brew as many potions as you can before dawn. Gather ingredients hidden around the room while communicating and staying focused to unlock new brain-racking potions combinations!

Alpaca Ball: Allstars

Arcade football game with Alcapas as players. Up to 8 people can battle it out to see who is the best paca in the group.

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! Play the craziest kind of football with the furriest alpacas around the world.
Block, ram your opponents, and dive-kick your way to that dream goal!
Enjoy frenetic local multiplayer with up to 8 other people or play online with your friends via Steam Remote Play (they don’t even need to own the game)!
Take your alpaca to glory in solo career mode, or share the credit with the local two-player co-op!
In Silence

Game with a multiplayer similar to Dead by Deathlight with an interesting blind "bad guy". Has a singleplayer experience that is pretty decent.

In Silence is being developed in order to provide a different online horror experience. You can hunt survivors as Rake by using your hypersensitive senses or play as a survivor yourself, use proximity voice chat and work together with other survivors to either escape Rake, or fight back.
Rake’s vision depends on sound. The less sound there is, the less Rake’s able to see. Rake can hear the slightest bit of noise over huge distances and run at an incredible speed. With traits like these, It’s not hard to guess what Rake could do in the right hands.
You may be a heartbeat away from being face to face with a monster because of a step you took, a toy you stepped on, or a vase you broke… But was it your plan all along? You could use noise that objects like a TV or a Radio make in order to distract Rake and escape the area, or maybe to set up a trap instead....

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Secret of Mana has been enjoyable so far i'm more or less halfway through and it's sort of the game I needed after Evenicle.
I have considered purchasing Trials of Mana after I finish this but I might also just wait until the halloween sale to get Atelier Lydie & Suelle to complete the mysterious trilogy, assuming that game goes on sale, otherwise it'll be Christmas sale material I guess.
What a coincidence, I am playing it too. So far so good, it's great to experience less known Square jrpg's.

Reactions: ISee

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm curious about the indie scene in Japan. Outside of Crafttopia has there been another Japanese Indie game that has done pretty well for itself (I'm not sure of Mobage would could since I'm not sure if some of those companies are small and make those big hits or if they are big companies that make other big hits.)

There are not that many Japanese Indie devs and those that are around will sometimes get their games localized to English by someone like Playism or others. Some of them do sell rather decently and stuff like that but has there been an indie game that just came out and became huge? Do the ones that usually become big "successful" because they are done through kickstarter and have a famous dev behind the game? I would imagine that language would play an issue but that's doesn't mean that you can't make a simple to understand game that you don't really even need written language to play.

Also I know that there are some Japanese companies that are now acting as publishers for smaller indie titles and it can be a profitable thing to do without having to do a large investment. But so far most of that seems to be focused on western titles.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I'm curious about the indie scene in Japan. Outside of Crafttopia has there been another Japanese Indie game that has done pretty well for itself (I'm not sure of Mobage would could since I'm not sure if some of those companies are small and make those big hits or if they are big companies that make other big hits.)

There are not that many Japanese Indie devs and those that are around will sometimes get their games localized to English by someone like Playism or others. Some of them do sell rather decently and stuff like that but has there been an indie game that just came out and became huge? Do the ones that usually become big "successful" because they are done through kickstarter and have a famous dev behind the game? I would imagine that language would play an issue but that's doesn't mean that you can't make a simple to understand game that you don't really even need written language to play.

Also I know that there are some Japanese companies that are now acting as publishers for smaller indie titles and it can be a profitable thing to do without having to do a large investment. But so far most of that seems to be focused on western titles.
Fate/Stay Night is originally an indie title (they called them doujin) and now it is one of the biggest anime IPs in Japan. There are also a few publishers like DMM Games or Dlsite. Both of them are steam-like platforms for indies to publish their own titles, now they also help them publish on steam.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Fate/Stay Night is originally an indie title (they called them doujin) and now it is one of the biggest anime IPs in Japan. There are also a few publishers like DMM Games or Dlsite. Both of them are steam-like platforms for indies to publish their own titles, now they also help them publish on steam.
I guess that Fate would technically count seeing how (even though it was already popular, years ago) in more recent time it has gotten even more popular in general?

I guess what I was trying to find out is if we have i"ndie darlings" from Japan that have come out In maybe the last 5 years that come from a small team (maybe 20 or less people) and it ends up selling millions of copies type of thing. The Fate VNs did start out small and became big but that took years and is not really "recent" or at least not as recent as what I myself am looking for. I guess what I'm looking for is to see if there has been a new Japanese IP from an indie group that became pretty big, rather than an already existing IP becoming even larger type of thing.

What you said it true DMM and DL Site do exist and both of them (not just DMM) have released stuff on Steam. It may be a platform and language issue as to why we don't hear about to many indie hits from Japan in recent years (There have been a number in the past but it just doesn't feel like it happens to often. An indie hit from Japan a number of years ago was stuff like Game Dev Story)? If anything I would say that we are hearing more about Chinese indie devs making pretty successful games (G Impact doesn't count since that had a budget of well over $10 million USD and they company that made that game already had a very successful mobage). There have been Japanese devs that have been able to get their games translated to English and Chinese so they have more of a global reach. I think N/S is the main platform for indie devs in Japan, which is not bad but it seems like that's pretty much it and some of them are able to release their titles for the west on N/S as well. I am not 100% sure but I don't think Indie devs in Japan have the PS4 as their top priority and just skip that platform in some cases (and I don't blame them)

I wonder if there are other reasons because non Japanese Indie games tend to multiplatform and also multilingual as well. Maybe the mind set of younger devs is different from older devs because before Japanese devs seemed to only cater to Japan and only think about releasing in Japan since they didn't think people in other countries wanted to play their stuff.
How do you even tag someone who's all emojied out on their username? Looks like it's impossible. Maybe that's the point... :thinking-blob:

Got a 14 day gamepass thing and checked out that flight sim, flew around my little town. Looks exactly as shitty as I expected from looking at the bing maps.

Water dunes!

Another big one.
At least it's not Apple Maps

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I guess that Fate would technically count seeing how (even though it was already popular, years ago) in more recent time it has gotten even more popular in general?

I guess what I was trying to find out is if we have i"ndie darlings" from Japan that have come out In maybe the last 5 years that come from a small team (maybe 20 or less people) and it ends up selling millions of copies type of thing. The Fate VNs did start out small and became big but that took years and is not really "recent" or at least not as recent as what I myself am looking for. I guess what I'm looking for is to see if there has been a new Japanese IP from an indie group that became pretty big, rather than an already existing IP becoming even larger type of thing.

What you said it true DMM and DL Site do exist and both of them (not just DMM) have released stuff on Steam. It may be a platform and language issue as to why we don't hear about to many indie hits from Japan in recent years (There have been a number in the past but it just doesn't feel like it happens to often. An indie hit from Japan a number of years ago was stuff like Game Dev Story)? If anything I would say that we are hearing more about Chinese indie devs making pretty successful games (G Impact doesn't count since that had a budget of well over $10 million USD and they company that made that game already had a very successful mobage). There have been Japanese devs that have been able to get their games translated to English and Chinese so they have more of a global reach. I think N/S is the main platform for indie devs in Japan, which is not bad but it seems like that's pretty much it and some of them are able to release their titles for the west on N/S as well. I am not 100% sure but I don't think Indie devs in Japan have the PS4 as their top priority and just skip that platform in some cases (and I don't blame them)

I wonder if there are other reasons because non Japanese Indie games tend to multiplatform and also multilingual as well. Maybe the mind set of younger devs is different from older devs because before Japanese devs seemed to only cater to Japan and only think about releasing in Japan since they didn't think people in other countries wanted to play their stuff.
FSN was top of VN chart back when it was released in 2004, so it was a huge hit right away.

I think we need to separate games that are only popular in local market (due to no localization) and games that are popular internationally. I have a number of examples from Japan regarding the former but can't think of any regarding the latter, such as Nyanko Daisensou or Monster Girl Quest trilogy. The former is a major mobile hit and the latter is highly appreciated among the Doujin crowds.

Tbh, I am not sure if the premise is true. I can't think of an internationally-popular title (not only indies) from China before Genshin Impact. Many of them (eg. Azur Lane, Arknight, Honor of Kings) are popular in China or Japan but not in English-speaking communities. And they are totally not indies.

I think it just comes down to the fact that big hits in indie scene is not easy, especially when we comes to international market. Minecraft, Hollow Knight, Terraria, Rimworld and Stardew Valley are definitely exceptions but not the norm.

Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Mmh, I think my dumbphone charging cable is dead. I would have really appreciated for it to live a little bit more :anguished-face:
Press F to curse like a sailor.
That sucks. What happened with my tablet also, the USB port broke and it was a Lenovo special port so none of the others could charge. Don't think I got even one year of use from it. It was in storage so the warranty ran out.

I'm so glad my MacBook Pro charges over type C and has four of those ports!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Short off-topic rant.

I realized today that Im very tired of influencers and people making a big deal about it when an influencer does something wrong.

Like, I read today about an influencer doing an experiment of becoming a homeless person and people giving her shit about it.

And Im like

Both to people giving her crap about it and to her for having to make a big deal about becoming a homeless person.

There are far more important things in life that getting mad about influencers doing shit and caring about what an influencer does.

Influencers are just an extended marketing arm trying to become your friend. I don't care about them and I have been ignoring them so far because I don't care about them and now Im sick of influencers because their faces and what they do are plastered around everywhere and it's getting increasingly difficulty to ignore them and people caring about what influencers do.

/end rant

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm just not sure how to see influencers. They are all inevitably walking brands, but at the same time, lots of them just do so much good that I don't think they would be able to achieve otherwise. I try not to go too "peanut gallery" on them.

Reactions: Li Kao

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm not following any influencer, and I even started blocking a couple tech YT channels that I've watched for years.
While those channels aren't lying or doing crazy or dubious stuff the constant bombardment with brands, adds and highly expansive products was getting to annoying:

Watch YT add, watch second YT add, watch 11 minutes of "cool" rambling about an expansive product that is practically an add and in addition suffer from "today's video is sponsored by XYXY" shenanigans. I'm willing to suffer from some advertising if I get well-produced content. but I'm tired of the constant ultra-bombardment and so I quiet. I do not watch that shit anymore, but for a couple of channels that provide "valuable" information.

All the other "fun" TechTubers/Influencers can f* right off currently.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
There are far more important things in life that getting mad about influencers doing shit and caring about what an influencer does.
True. However, social media thrive on addictive content for their users. If you feed drama about meaningless stuff to people, they come back, engage, like, comment, check notifications, etc., which leads to more ad revenue for social media companies. Maybe that is human nature, maybe that is the epoch.

What's included:

• 4 kegs
  • 1 premium legendary card

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
True. However, social media thrive on addictive content for their users. If you feed drama about meaningless stuff to people, they come back, engage, like, comment, check notifications, etc., which leads to more ad revenue for social media companies. Maybe that is human nature, maybe that is the epoch.
I agree, I also think this isn't the sort of thing we can go black-and-white blame game on. People's window of attention for meaningless entertainment hasn't really grown wider because of the entertainment itself in my opinion, but because the world around them pushes them toward something to cope with an increasingly bleaker and lonely reality.

Maybe it's just me, but at least these influencers have the positive of allowing their audiences to connect with each other, which is something TV or even books don't really allow. Silver lining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomasety

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I was taking a look at my Kickstarter account. I wonder why I stopped backing crowdfunded games.

(✅ means game received)
<snip>
So I compare this with my Kickstarter list (and I'll thrown in the one time I used Fig too) and I have backed about 12-15 games and projects (a few board games in there too). Only 1 has been a total ghost town, with no chance of recovery. The others are either still in development (one notable one is about 2 years late, but still posting updates) or delivered whatever they were promising. So of that 12-15, I have at least 10 games (board or video), 1 where there is no hope, and a few who are still in development and probably will one day come out... I hope.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

I personally don't see anything special it but I trust Simon Carless more than my own first impressions.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

I personally don't see anything special but it I trust Simon Carless more than my own first impressions.
Trust what Simon said, it has a veeeeeery good chance to become something big if the initial response is positive and drives attention/engagement.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This project has been a thing for a while now. I don't think it's a game for everyone but the streamer/youtube audience is going to go absolutely bonkers over it, and for good reason. It does stuff that very few games have ever done from a technical standpoint, and has come up with a creative and interesting way to build a game around it.

I know, no shit sherlock, but still.

It is really kind of surreal seeing this go from a thing producing interesting twitter videos to that fully-fledged game that's capturing people's attention. Good on him.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
No problems with 2004 so far. (expect some minor issue after install, don't remember what it was though)

Status
Not open for further replies.