Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have beaten Spelunky 2 again! With some good gear:

The first time, I did it in a daily run. This time, I have done it in a normal run, so I could unlock the special character.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Steam hit 23 million concurrent users today. I know the all time record is 24 million in March when the COVID lockdowns were in full effect, but I don't think the lockdowns are quite as prevalent currently (I know they are virtually nonexistent in the States). I think 25 million might happen during the winter.

As someone who played Dota for years, this is pretty crazy to see.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Its possible. If Cyberpunk does 750k - 1 million concurrent in December that could push it close to 25 million.

Also PUBG continues to fall off huh. Only in the 300kish concurrent now. It was north of 600k not that long ago.
I don't think Cyberpunk will do quite that well since it's also on GOG and Epic, but it might at least beat Fallout 4 which I think is the all time record for a single player game on Steam with about 500k

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Picked up Conan Exiles yesterday from a Polish retailer for ~$13 and it's really addictive. I'm especially surprised with how well it runs since I'm used to all the survival games running like shit, but I get 60-140 fps all the time and it plays really smooth. Made a small base on an island and I'm hunting for thralls now.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That's what I was hoping Conan would be, polished every-other-survival-game. But when I played the alpha it seemed just as janky as any. Maybe I'll try it again.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
That's what I was hoping Conan would be, polished every-other-survival-game. But when I played the alpha it seemed just as janky as any. Maybe I'll try it again.
I honestly ignored the game for a long time because it seemed janky and broken just like other survival games, but I really craved a good survival game to play recently and was looking at recommendation threads on Reddit, and Conan came up a lot, so I thought I might as well try it for such a low price. I only played single player so far, but I can say that it works great and I didn't encounter any bugs or such yet. Maybe waiting a few years was a good call since my experience isn't soured by early, broken versions of the game.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I don't think Cyberpunk will do quite that well since it's also on GOG and Epic, but it might at least beat Fallout 4 which I think is the all time record for a single player game on Steam with about 500k
It will definitely beat the Fallout 4 record.

CDPR has a much bigger following today than even Bethesda did back in 2015. The marketing has been ridiculous and steam version has been in top sellers for more than a year now as a preorder. GOG and Epic versions will probably be 30% at best. The rest should be Steam. The PC version will be the best way to play too as console versions are most likely gonna be a mess so that will bring in a boost to the sales.

The game comes out on a Thursday so that weekend should be massive. I think well north of 500k.

Just hope it doesn't get delayed again :anguished-face:

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
fantomena,
Finished Sea of Solitude in one sitting, such a fantastic game! Dragged little bit in the latter half when it became fully linear but man is it gorgeous and love the "story".
definitely want to play it as an abstract story-driven game in the Journey/Abzu/GRIS vein, will play it when it's added to Game Pass with EA Play (hope they finally add Jedi Fallen Order by then)

Reactions: Le Pertti

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Chairmanchuck Do you know why Carto was removed from Steam Store on China? All I know is that it was made by a Taiwanese developer company so my assumption would be something related to mainland China regulations, but perhaps you can tell me something about this little mystery.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lets take a look at horror games this time in "Discoveries in Discovery Queue"!

Last Year: The Nightmare

A Dead by Deadlight - type game with a high school background. The students can have 4 different classes to craft objects and help beat them.

It's Halloween night in 1996. Serial killers are chasing you as you try to escape from your high school. You play as one of The Teenagers on the run, or play as one of The Killers doing the hunting. Last Year: The Nightmare feels like surviving through a haunted house with your friends.
Teenagers can:
  • Complete different objectives in the school and work together to escape.
  • Hide in the science lab and build a bomb to use against The Killer.
  • Play as 4 different classes like Assault, Technician, Scout, and Medic. Each class crafts different items to help you escape.
  • Team up with other players and beat up the Killer using baseball bats.
  • Play as medic and give medicine to your friends to help them.
  • Sneak around in the library and plant proximity mines.
  • Hunt the killer down with a shotgun while wearing a football helmet for protection.
  • Get chased and hide from The Killer while you are alone in the basement.
Killers can:
  • Choose different Killers to play as. Each Killer has different abilities to help you hunt down and kill The Teenagers.
  • Use the environment to perform surprise kills like smashing through windows and concrete walls.
  • Turn invisible to move around sneakily and open doors and objects to mess with the heads of other players.
  • Grab Teenagers and push them off ledges and buildings to their death.
  • Plant poison gas traps in lockers and school desks to disorient The Teenagers.
  • Place bear traps on the ground and wait for Teenagers to step on them and get trapped.​
The Swine

Short horror game about isolation and witchcraft. Mainly a walking simulator with puzzle elements.

Say goodbye to southern hospitality in the backwoods of America.
The Swine is a short horror experience (under an hour) that explores isolation, witchcraft, and unforeseen consequences in your rural homestead.
  • Explore your home and property as it changes day-by-day.
  • Find ‘corrupted’ Tarot cards and live through their esoteric meanings.
  • Encounter the occult group “The Swine” and their dark methodologies.
Immerse yourself:
  • Realistic graphics bring you closer to the terror.
  • Detailed environments bring the story to reality (leave the lights on or off, open all the doors and drawers, feel the dust and humidity of your old creaky house).
  • Find small clues hidden away that hint about events to come or events of the night before.
  • Discover a strange new breed of esoteric magic and it’s dark abilities
  • Talented Voice Actors bring the characters to life.
Fear the unknown: Who are these people that have crashed into your quiet life? What do they want? What twisted dogma do they believe?

Horror Story: Hallowseed

EA Horror game with around 1.5h of gameplay. Very good atmosphere with very tense moments.

The game takes place in the fictional location, Hallowseed.
A place forgotten by time, wrapped in a mysterious demonic terror!
3 friends were camping, when an obscure event takes them, causing 2 of them to disappear.
Alone in an unknown place, Michael seeks answers about what happened, while trying to find his friends.

The game focuses on telling a story where the player gradually gets involved, until he realizes his role in this tragedy!
Hallowseed is the first game of Horror Story series by Jeff Winner.

Labyrinthe

Coop horror game where you try and discover the truth behind a hedge maze. Able to play it in 1 playthrough with 3 other friends.

Labyrinthine aims to be a true horror experience complete with all of the horror staples you may be used to. While navigating the regions of the happisburg hedge maze, you will be solving puzzles, collecting items and escaping the horrific entities that lie within it. Cooperative has been the focus since the start of development, so heading in with friends is recommended!
Found items will also provide you with a brief respite from the horrors of the maze, whether it's a simple compass to help you keep track of your heading or a flaregun to allow your friends to find you. Notes are scattered around that will provide clues and give you insights into the history and lore of the maze.
When playing online, you team can be an essential asset if you work together and plan ahead... but staying together isn't always the safest option..
Surviving the maze will require navigation skills, puzzle solving and planning. Do not fall prey to that which awaits in the maze...

The Hedge Maze at ol Jonny Honk’s Fair has been there as long as anyone can remember, but it's never been open. The rumor is, a kid named Charles got lost in it, went in and never came out. When a cop went in after them they went missing as well. No one’s entirely sure, but the locals tend to keep away from it. The maze lives right on the edge of the Local Fairgrounds, and they are hoping to open it up as an attraction.
Built on the land of Ethel Fir. A twice widowed woman who died in 1935 leaving no will and no heir. It's said the maze was a crazed project she had worked away at for years before her death. She had fervently planted and shaped the trees muttering about looky loos, and nosey brats as it grew bigger each year, surrounding her house and grounds, and slowly growing taller and taller. After nearly 8 years without anyone seeing her, the local authorities assumed her dead, and entered the maze. They found her home in a state of disrepair, food clearly long rotten, and it appeared no one had lived in it for quite a long time. They searched the home, and what they could of the maze itself, but failed to find her body or any information regarding her death. Without a will in place, her property was left to the state, and turned into a local park, open to the fair when it visited town.
It's said that from time to time kids will wander in on a dare, or couples will enter trying to find old Ethel's home as a quiet place to be together. Often they come out safe and sound, if a little excitable, but the town has always had a higher than normal rate of missing persons. No one has ever been found in the maze. In the light of day it's simply an overgrown hedge, and a dilapidated home from the late 1800s.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Played my first round of Phasmophobia in VR and it's pretty cool.

Also found out that VR players are quite popular in the game.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I seem to recall a lot of you like Genshin Impact.

Now if only they'd allow it to run on virtual machines, but I guess that kernel-level anticheat is more important to protect the holy gacha.

Status
Not open for further replies.