Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Yeah, I hate the kernel level anti-cheat as well, and I don't consider it a solution. I wish those dipshits shooting themselves into space would redirect their efforts to solving this problem.
There are not really many actual software solutions to the problem. Even kernel-level, while intimidating sounding, is not a real answer. Machine learning has promise but it relies on validation from massive amounts of data from human reviewers, and it's relatively situational: things like new guns, new modes, even new skins could throw it off. There is no way to "win" this war via anti-cheat software, it will be a perpetual back-and-forth at best, or just a cheater fiesta like Warzone currently is at worst.

But there is a way to fix the problem, on a given platform, I posted this in response to people saying Riot doesn't know how to deal with toxicity in League (after the post announcing they were removing all chat). Every company knows how to reduce cheating, reduce toxicity, in every online game and every social media site. Hire people to review stuff and punish the offenders. For toxicity, it actually requires more nuance and training because toxicity is getting layers to it now because of the new wave of extremism and the vast variety of ways people are finding to be hate-filled bigots, but cheating? Cheating is super easy to spot 99.999% of the time.

But none of these corporations are going to spend money hiring people and setting up an infrastructure to deal with a problem that ultimately probably is a wash, give or take, for them financially in the first place. Despite Warzone having maybe the biggest cheating problem of any major shooter since... I dunno, original CS? They are raking in cash faster than they can spend it so while it sucks for everyone else, it's not enough to actually deter people from spending money on the game. Twitter isn't going to spend money to have people actually take action on reports, nor do they have any interest in banning anyone that doesn't potentially cost them advertisers. Same with FaceBook. Same with Riot.

It's not that complicated to fix these problems on a per-platform basis, it's just the companies don't care to do it.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Would be nice if Deadly Premonition Origins was released on Steam.
In the current state of affair, the pathetic reality is that we have got a much better shot at emulating the Switch version than suffering through the PC one.

Though the PC is the Director's Cut and I don't know if players would miss out much. But between vanilla and no playable game at all...

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
It's not that complicated to fix these problems on a per-platform basis, it's just the companies don't care to do it.
I agree that human review is the only reliable way to catch cheaters. But then what is the punishment? If the game is F2P, banning an account will not do much of anything. Hardware IDs can be spoofed, and so can network info like MAC address and IP. Maybe something like a VAC ban, where your ability to use the service hosting the game is also affected. I suppose people would create new Steam accounts to continue cheating, but if they're continuously caught quickly and banned, maybe they'd get tired of trying.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Does any one know how hard it is to get an indie game on the N/S Japan eShop? Are Nintendo a lot more strict on stuff that shows up on there?

So say an indie game releases on Steam and N/S day 1 and both have Japanese language options but the game is not on the JPN eShop
-----
Also I joined the ondeck thing when it only had like 300 people and now it's at over 22k.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Then you're probably playing the latest and greatest, I'd imagine? I try and check in on it once in awhile as it's the closest to a zombie survival game as I'd want from a game. Though state of decay gets pretty close
I am playing surivial scenario on Westpoint with the only change of no zombie respawns

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Source:

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
Speaking of Deadly Premonition. Where the fuck is 2? It was supposed to hit PC by now.
I've been waiting for that since the Switch version ran notoriously bad.

I'm actually wondering if No More Heroes 3 might hit PC as well. Would LOVE to play that in 4K
i have faith we'll see no more heroes 3 sooner rather than later, emulated versions scaled nicely and it seemed like a decently built product even if its budget showed. deadly premonition 2 on the other hand seemed like a technical nightmare (as is par for the course, but it didn't seem as endearing this time around) so i wouldn't be surprised if they're going to drop a director's cut update smoothing out some of the edges that will release on pc at the same time

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Would be nice if Deadly Premonition Origins was released on Steam.
In the current state of affair, the pathetic reality is that we have got a much better shot at emulating the Switch version than suffering through the PC one.

Though the PC is the Director's Cut and I don't know if players would miss out much. But between vanilla and no playable game at all...
The only game of the last decade or so I've never been able to get to work satisfactory even with lots of tinkering, I did once consider if emulation would be easier but in the end I couldn't be bothered and watched a let's play, something I almost never do.

Reactions: Li Kao

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Speaking of Deadly Premonition. Where the fuck is 2? It was supposed to hit PC by now.
I've been waiting for that since the Switch version ran notoriously bad.

I'm actually wondering if No More Heroes 3 might hit PC as well. Would LOVE to play that in 4K
NMH3 should be around Feb-March by Marvelous timing compared to their previous ex-Switch exclusives.
Marvelous exclusivities are all around the 150 -170 days more or less, so yeah, Feb-March if the same timing applies with NMH3 but it's a when not an if.

About Deadly Premonition 2, I asked the same thing yesterday but Rising Star is completely silent and I don't think Thunderbolt will answer me, I guess we will have to wait but if you want to push a bit for an answer, I invite you to ask them via Twitter or mail, in case you are lucky.

• Eyes

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
deadly premonition 2 on the other hand seemed like a technical nightmare (as is par for the course, but it didn't seem as endearing this time around) so i wouldn't be surprised if they're going to drop a director's cut update smoothing out some of the edges that will release on pc at the same time
ACTUALLY, that makes a lot of sense and I wouldn't be surprised at all, didn't think about this possibility in particular.

Deleted member 113

Space Crew is getting an extensive free update next week (and change its name to Space Crew: Legendary Edition).
The expanded scope and content make it seem like the game is worth a look. Especially since it's currently on sale on Steam and Humble.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Era is now owned by a corporation that shelled out 4.5 million bucks for the site.
Maybe the mods should be paid.
The mods make a fucking tipping jar instead so that the era users are paying the mods.

What a fucking shitshow.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Space Crew is getting an extensive free update next week (and change its name to Space Crew: Legendary Edition).
The expanded scope and content make it seem like the game is worth a look. Especially since it's currently on sale on Steam and Humble.
I absolutely loved Bomber Crew. Really fun game. Couldn't quite get into Space Crew so maybe ill give it another go now. Cheers!

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I kinda feel bad for you Wok as you keep talking about The International but doesn't seem to be anyone here that follows (or in my case understands) the e-sports scene :(

• Sad
  • This!
Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I once did bet on some weird esports site on CS:GO results. I had no idea what the fuck I was doing, I was just in it for the prize and I somehow got 2nd place, but the remaining prizes after 1st place were randomly distributed with RNG among the top 5 or 10 (forgot) and in the end I still didn't win anything. :disappointed-face:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I watch the CSGO events all the time. Its fun and tactical. You see the skill, team and clutch aspects.

But with Dota its just too much. Too many characters, skills, locations, strategies, bouncing around the map etc. So much weird shit.

Its not a good spectator sport which why its so surprising both Dota and League do such massive numbers. All that stuff is way over my head. I think if it was 3v3 it would have been more watchable.

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol - 76% off
It might be worth it but the port is shit, no remote play, horrible options and settings. It was a really lack luster showing when they released that

• Sad

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I used to follow the League pro scene very avidly, but I threw out the baby with the bath water so to speak when I swore off playing the game. I spent way too much time and even more money on it than was healthy for me :oofblob:

It was at least a learning experience and the lessons learned there told me to slam the eject button on Genshin more recently after I got in a little too deep.

I should've gotten a Dota obsesssion instead because at least then I could've gotten out with some sick skins that I could resell instead of sitting on a cool grand worth of useless skins in League :fingergunsblob:

Last edited:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I don't think this has been mentioned but Valve updated their not-allowed-content guidelines to include NFTs and Cryptocurrencies as elements that are not allowed to be on the Steam ecosystem, so yeah, don't expect blockchain based products on the store anytime soon. (Good, if you ask me)

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I kinda feel bad for you Wok as you keep talking about The International but doesn't seem to be anyone here that follows (or in my case understands) the e-sports scene :(
I've been watching it religiously and been having a ball. There's been some absolutely incredible Dota over the last week. This last match saw a couple of spectacular games where the two time consecutive defending world champions were eliminated from the tournament by an underdog team. And it's not just that they went out of the tournament, but how they went out. The underdog team were not at all overawed by the moment or their opponents and paid absolutely no respect to them. These defending champions are known to be very cocky and taunt their opponents non stop during matches with the ingame chat voice lines so it was absolutely hilarious to see a player from the underdogs literally type out 'ez game' in all chat mid way through the second game. It was mildly toxic, thoroughly deserved and hugely entertaining. What a match, what a tournament.

I do find it a bit odd that a PC gaming focused forum isn't super interested in one of the most popular games in the world, and especially during the biggest esports tournament which has been delayed for 2 years. It's not like this is a console focused board where it's not really meant to be on our radar.

But, also kind of used to the fact that the games I play or enjoy don't get much chatter over here. For example, I've been playing this Chinese battle royale game called Naraka Bladepoint for the past couple of months. It's a great game, does a lot right (it also does have some problems but overall great fun) and I don't think a single person has ever even mentioned it in this thread. It is what it is.

EDIT: I should add that Naraka Bladepoint isn't some obscure game. It has remained on the Steam global top sellers list since it released in early August and hits 150k peak CCU daily. It's a melee combat focused battle royale so instead of guns you have swords, spears, katanas and such. Every weapon has several combo attacks and counters and the combat itself is highly technical, which is it's main draw for me. Somewhat similar to a fighting game in that regard. The game looks beautiful and has a Chinese Wuxia theme which is not that common. A really fun game in my opinion.

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
That moment you realise you're no one...

You are playing against Team Spirit.

You do not ban Magnus because you can counter it.

Team Spirit instantly picks Magnus.

You lose against Team Spirit.

You don't ban Magnus next time you play Team Spirit because you're stupid.

Got your back.

Fun and balanced gaming begins again.
Mag's only real issue is horn toss cast point and since it's a fun hero to watch I don't really feel bad it is getting a lot of love.

Last edited:

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I don't think this has been mentioned but Valve updated their not-allowed-content guidelines to include NFTs and Cryptocurrencies as elements that are not allowed to be on the Steam ecosystem, so yeah, don't expect blockchain based products on the store anytime soon. (Good, if you ask me)

What about those games that hide cryptominers running in the background. No idea if that crappy Fall Guys ripoff game still does it, but reviews suggest so (not testing it out myself).

That name alone lol

• Eyes

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
What about those games that hide cryptominers running in the background. No idea if that crappy Fall Guys ripoff game still does it, but reviews suggest so (not testing it out myself).

That name alone lol
That IDK, I guess if users report the game with enough detail, Valve team would take a look and do the thing but IDK.

• Eyes

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
What about all the games available on Game Pass? :toucan:

And all the books available at your nearest library?

And all the other opportunities? There is an infinite supply of affordable stuff trying to catch your attention. The only limited and valuable element is your time.
Time to research on how to clone yourself or learn Kage Bunshin no Jutsu

• This!
  • Evil
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What about all the games available on Game Pass? :toucan:

And all the books available at your nearest library?

And all the other opportunities? There is an infinite supply of affordable stuff trying to catch your attention. The only limited and valuable element is your time.
I didn't include Game Pass for the sake of a concise post :coffee-blob:
And I only read books in the late evening.
Are you trying to give me a panic attack ? Because it's not wor...
:sweaty-blob:

• Comfy
  • Evil
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Deleted member 113

Ok, I'm a good reasonable boy, I'm dropping Octopath Traveler !
Now to choose my next game ! Yeah !
1550+ games on Steam :suicide-blob:
And you want to buy even more games! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

If I may make a suggestion, since I suffer from the same problem (huge backlog, and I frequently can't decide what to play), I did something a while back that helped me both cut back on my purchases, and also help me (somewhat) decide what to play.

I created a new category in my library, and then I went through my owned games, and I added to it the "top shelf" games (the games that were well received, the games that I really wanted to play when I bought them, but ended up "forgetting" about them, ...). On this category, in order not to excessively "crowd it", when I have multiple games in a series (say, various Yakuza sequels) I only list the first game that I'm yet to play, and when I complete it, I remove it, and replace it with the next entry.

Then... when I check this category for ideas on what to play, I use the view that shows their cover/vertical capsule art.
Essentially, what I ended up with is like a "virtual shelf" of sorts, and my process of selecting games became a bit like when I used to hang around VHS rental clubs, looking at the pretty artwork in the covers, and selecting what to rent next by how good their covers looked. :LOL:

But seriously, it's surprisingly effective, especially since some of these games have lovely cover/vertical capsule artwork. It puts you in the mood to play these games. And with 1500+ games, you're sure to have selections from pretty much every genre.
And, when I'm thinking about buying new games, I frequently take a look at this list and their covers, I find unplayed games that appeal more to me than the new ones, and I end up saving a few €. It really helped me cut back on my purchases.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Time to research on how to clone yourself or learn Kage Bunshin no Jutsu
I refuse to run with my arms behind my back ! Come to think of it, it was a turn off when I watched some SMTV gameplay trailers.

I created a new category in my library, and then I went through my owned games, and I added to it the "top shelf" games (the games that were well received, the games that I really wanted to play when I bought them, but ended up "forgetting" about them, ...). On this category, in order not to excessively "crowd it", when I have multiple games in a series (say, various Yakuza sequels) I only list the first game that I'm yet to play, and when I complete it, I remove it, and replace it with the next entry.
Sound advice, not too dissimilar from fantomena curated backlog, with the interesting analogy to a video shelf added.
Cool. But the last time I tried to curate my backlog I had a 600+ game list. I MAY have a selection problem :face-with-cold-sweat:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.