Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Especially because I worked for the Corona/Vaccination hotline ;)
I am currently looking for the names of the 4 companies that are left and trying to apply there. It's not like there is not enough to do, just yesterday, in the evening shift, I did 142 calls in 8 hours. Corona isn't over, on the contrary, it is picking up again in Germany and I can't fathom why the health ministry would downsize so much.

The company I work for offered a market research WFH employment but I declined that because it is only 20 hours. A few days later the secretary of the company CEO called me and asked when I was available for a chat with the CEO, dunno what that is about. maybe for other projects, but normally, CEO's don't try to recruit/hold employees directly instead of HR or Supervisors.
Wish you all the best in your search

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Guardians of the Galaxy reviews are better than I expected. Still gonna wait for it to come to Game Pass, though.

Wait, it's coming to game pass?

• Evil
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
In that case, here are some much more specific gameplay tips.

Sounds like you haven't cleared the 3rd boss yet, so I'll try to avoid spoiling anything past that.

First off, boss gimmicks.

For the prospector, the goal is to kill the pack mule during the first phase so you have a truckload of cards to use in the second. If possible, you want some empty spaces on your side of the board when the first phase ends so you can immediately start playing things.

The angler is the one that spooks me the most, since the second phase can get out of control fast. Ideally, you want a high cost, powerful card in your hand when the first phase ends. He'll slot in bait buckets across from your existing cards, so you want to sacrifice all of them to drop a huge fatty and kill him before he gets a chance to do anything. During the first phase, make sure you're drawing Squirrels on the turns where he threatens to hook things (unless he's trying to hook a near-dead creature, then it might be best to let him).

I think they trapper may be the easiest once you understand his gimmick. The goal is to suicide cards into all 4 traps, but to do so slowly (otherwise he'll often just kill you before you restock). If you've upgraded Squirrels to Bees, they can be used to set off traps, which is really helpful for preserving your stronger cards. If you set off all 4 traps, you'll have 5 pelts to trade during the second phase, and it should be smooth sailing from there.

Other tips:
Try to avoid spending items until you hit your first backpack event so you can get a free pack rat. In addition to being pretty useful, pack rats are also a rare, and for reasons you may not have seen yet, having a lot of rares in your deck will pay off later.

Once you have the squirrel head wood carving (or the insect head, if you've upgraded to bees), meeting the wood carver and looking for body carvings is a great idea. While not everything you'll find is good, certain sigils are absolutely busted when applied to squirrels/bees. Things like undying, triple blood, the sigil that grants a worker ant on play. Get a good one and you can win the run right there.

During the early fights, never accept a peace branch and always focus on getting as much overkill as you can. Getting a stash of teeth early makes visiting the trapper very rewarding, since cashing in 2-3 golden pelts will make your deck way stronger. Only ever buy golden pelts though. The hare and wolf pelts are just going to lead to a more clogged deck.

Unless you get a way to generate lots of bones easily, you typically want only a couple of bone based creatures, but you do want some. They can help generate momentum in tight spots when you don't have much to sacrifice.

Mantis God is insane. If you can increase one's attack power at a camp fire, you can steal fights left and right, since a 2-attack Mantis God will deal 6 damage on turn one. It's strong in boss fights too.

Certain rares are much stronger in the early game, like Ouroboros and Geck. If you see these near the start, take them (unless it's a choice between them and a Mantis God). Late game, you can probably pass on them.

Some fights can run long enough to make you run out of cards if your deck is too slim, so trying to keep deck size as small as possible isn't a great strategy. That means you also can't really rely on just one super-card to win, so try to make sure you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. (This is why a woodcarving that buffs squirrels/bees is so strong. It's consistent.)

This last tip I didn't even figure out during my playthrough, and it seems way busted. But if you're really stuck, maybe it could help. Apparently, if you visit a campfire and repeatedly send up a poisonous creature, like an adder, then when it gets eaten, it'll kill all the people around the campfire. Apparently this lets you use all future campfires 5x each with no risk of losing your creature. Seems nutty when applied to stuff like Mantis God.
Ok, these are fantastic tips. One thing that I keep seeing is that you can upgrade squirrels, but I've only ever had the option to "upgrade" them via the woodcarver with the movement sigil -- useless, but I've seen it several times. Bad luck? Whatever it takes to upgrade to a bee, I haven't seen that yet.

One thing you touched on is deck size -- I think I've been investing upgrades into one "big" card too much, and then it gets drawn more and more infrequently due to the fact that you can't skip taking cards and your deck keeps growing. I'll try a new strategy there.

That adder campfire trick is AMAZING. I have the feeling that there are tons of these hidden mechanics to keep discovering.

Thanks for writing all this up -- going to be playing a bunch today to try to get past this act. Fortunately, the gameplay is so fun and absorbing it's not a chore.

Reactions: Avern and Wok

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
WARNING: please don't download windows 11 unless you wish to hate windows forever

just had to reinstall my pc after it was stuck on the "getting ready" screen, of course with the "all of my personal files kept" setting
reinstalled it, get here; all of my personal files are gone, but the bugs still remain

tried going back, but there's no button for that because "my license is about to expire", even though this is a pc with windows 10 literally bought for it

nothing too big was lost, i was just really REALLY lucky that i managed to send in that programming obligatory assignment that was due to tomorrow 11 pm

Deleted member 113

WARNING: please don't download windows 11 unless you wish to hate windows forever
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two days before Windows 11 launched.
To maintain some coherence, a couple of days before Windows 13 launches I'll upgrade to Windows 11. :LOL:

But seriously, it's never a good idea to upgrade to a new OS at launch.
Historically, only after at least one big service pack do most recent Windows OS releases become somewhat "stable".

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two days before Windows 11 launched.
To maintain some coherence, a couple of days before Windows 13 launches I'll upgrade to Windows 11. :LOL:

But seriously, it's never a good idea to upgrade to a new OS at launch.
Historically, only after at least one big service pack do most recent Windows OS releases become somewhat "stable".
i'm so fucking glad i didn't force download windows 11 on my main pc

now i'll have to download all of my fucking crap again

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I usually wait like 6-12 months before updating to a new Windows but this time I think I will wait 18-24 with all the bad feedback regarding 11.

10 is still really good for me. Up there with XP as the best imo. MS will eventually iron out all the issues with 11 so I don't mind riding 10 out longer.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
$1 for 1 month of XGP Ultimate (for newcomers):

Ditto with XGP (without a restriction to newcomers):
I will wait for the same deal for 3 months. :evilblob:
Can you please post this in the console thread instead? I like this thread better when it's mainly for Steam. We do have a thread for consoles and other PC launchers. Or if you want, you can make a game pass thread.

It's just that...I don't care for game pass and I use this thread only for Steam stuff.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I admit I am quite hyped for GotG just by the word of mouth that is going around now. I don't know anything about the game. So hopefully it does come to game pass!
From what i've seen it looks like a solid enough AAA romp nothing amazing but a good, solid, fun game made even better if you like the cast. I may be wrong but I expect it to turn out better than most people think it will be.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Can you please post this in the console thread instead? I like this thread better when it's mainly for Steam. We do have a thread for consoles and other PC launchers. Or if you want, you can make a game pass thread.

It's just that...I don't care for game pass and I use this thread only for Steam stuff.
Said the man who mentions game pass at least once a day here.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I am too lazy to make an XGP thread. However, my goals do not including making you anxious, so I will be careful next time.

You can report my post to make it disappear. I won't take any offence if you do that, and it is a more discreet way to send the message. ;)
I feel like reporting posts is an under-used feature.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Did i told you that i am enjoying playing Bully a lot. R* really should make sequel with bi bigger map and college themed it would be really beneficial for them. They really can be more creative and do some crazy things while keeping project relatively small to take a break from their more demanding big titles. Oh well i hope that Hogwarts Legacy will fill that hole next year (i hope that it will be released next year).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Did i told you that i am enjoying playing Bully a lot. R* really should make sequel with bi bigger map and college themed it would be really beneficial for them. They really can be more creative and do some crazy things while keeping project relatively small to take a break from their more demanding big titles. Oh well i hope that Hogwarts Legacy will fill that hole next year (i hope that it will be released next year).
One of my biggest shames in life, I never really fully played Bully, always tried to get into it and played a few hours and then quit. Does it really hold up? Feels like some gameplay elements would feel little dated.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
One of my biggest shames in life, I never really fully played Bully, always tried to get into it and played a few hours and then quit. Does it really hold up? Feels like some gameplay elements would feel little dated.
I mean it is PS2 game and you can feel that but i am still having fun. For example analogue controls are really bad because they are not really analogue but just 4 or 8 directions so moving around can be annoying. But charm is there, creative mission design is there, r* humor is there. And more i play it more i am noticing how Bully kinda had big impact on RDR2 for example and some of the mechanics there.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
No chance Rockstar would sign off on that.

They have people working 100hr work weeks for years now so they can put out GTA6 polished and on time. It will make them billions and that is all suits care about. Bully is irrelevant for them and Red Dead is probably finished too.

• Sad

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
No chance Rockstar would sign off on that.

They have people working 100hr work weeks for years now so they can put out GTA6 polished and on time. It will make them billions and that is all suits care about. Bully is irrelevant for them and Red Dead is probably finished too.
RDR is far from dead, it outsold original by a lot, like a lot. It is not GTA level but it is still i think almost 40M seller and how many companies can achieve that?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
RDR is far from dead, it outsold original by a lot, like a lot. It is not GTA level but it is still i think almost 40M seller and how many companies can achieve that?
Story wise the age of cowboys is pretty much played out. So unless they do prequel prequels or spinoffs I don't think they'll do anymore Westerns.

There was rumors of them doing some medieval open world game a while back so maybe that is what that Red Dead team does next. Or they remake the first game. But I doubt it with the effort they put in the GTA trilogy.

• Eyes

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I expect Mor to post something so that my post makes sense. :toucan: Do not get your hopes up, it is just another hint for this rumour.

Sorry, nothing to add but that makes a little sense in terms of placeholder as by the look of things, it's already being playtested.

• Eyes

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
Sorry, nothing to add but that makes a little sense in terms of placeholder as by the look of things, it's already being playtested.
if nobody has posted it already, there's tweets going around that surveys regarding playtesting ff tactics and tactics ogre are already out

if someone has posted it already, i didnt notice
i was too busy trying to recover all that was lost to no avail

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Story wise the age of cowboys is pretty much played out. So unless they do prequel prequels or spinoffs I don't think they'll do anymore Westerns.

There was rumors of them doing some medieval open world game a while back so maybe that is what that Red Dead team does next. Or they remake the first game. But I doubt it with the effort they put in the GTA trilogy.
They have a lot of space and cowboys are far from played out. Give me sequel with Sadie as bounty hunter and i am there day 1. Give me one from golden age of westerns or gold rush one and i am also there day 1. They can go with Civil War, do one with more focus on Native Americans. Huge, huge untapped potential there because nobody else is making western games (Call of Juarez maybe but that is dead).

And if they would to do RDR Remake it would be done with RAGE engine because they basically have half of the map done and second half started (i still believe that R* had or still have plan to include full RDR map in RDR2 or Red Dead Online.).

• Eyes

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

New World is apparently the biggest Steam release of 2021 (no surprise) and "millions" of people have played it. I wonder how its sales compare to Valheim.

• Eyes

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Wait, Minecraft is finally coming to PC gamepass? When was that announced?

edit: wait I'm wrong...
It is coming to gamepass

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Wait, Minecraft is finally coming to PC gamepass? When was that announced?

edit: wait I'm wrong...
Think bedrock version has been there already since before but now they added the java also.
Which is interesting because MS seems to be migrating Mojang Accounts to MS accounts, which could indicate they are getting things ready to release, MAYBE, PERHAPS, Mineracraft on Steam, at least by wording from announcement seems that this could happen in 2022 as Mojang hasn't still said anything about individual purchases.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Which is interesting because MS seems to be migrating Mojang Accounts to MS accounts, which could indicate they are getting things ready to release, MAYBE, PERHAPS, Mineracraft on Steam, at least by wording from announcement seems that this could happen in 2022 as Mojang hasn't still said anything about individual purchases.
Yeah they have moved mojang account to Microsoft accounts. I would love to see Minecraft on steam! But it would probably be bedrock but it’s only Java that runs on Mac.

• Eyes

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah they have moved mojang account to Microsoft accounts. I would love to see Minecraft on steam! But it would probably be bedrock but it’s only Java that runs on Mac.
I mean, they are going to put Java on Windows store, if Minecraft ends up coming, I think they will just put both and call the day.

tuxfool

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I mean, they are going to put Java on Windows store, if Minecraft ends up coming, I think they will just put both and call the day.
Which version of Java? Presumably it will work with Apache Java or Amazon Correto?

Both of those are more unencumbered than Oracle's BS.

• Eyes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Which version of Java? Presumably it will work with Apache Java or Amazon Correto?
Assuming Mojang didn't change how their Minecraft client works, we should be able to change the Java runtime executable to any distribution you like instead of their built-in version.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.