Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

I see you on televishaaaan!
Sep 20, 2018
Melbourne
Hey folks, the person who started up Famiboards reached out to me about creating an index of sorts on Famiboards that links to the other sites of Communities that abandoned Reset (like XboxEra, InstallBase etc). Just thought I'd see if people here were keen to have Metacouncil be part of the index?

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Biggest upgrade with new monitor is not resolution or refresh rate, it's freedom to turn off VSyinc and don't think about tearing XD
I found the increased screen real estate from the combination of bigger screen + higher resolution to be the biggest QoL upgrade personally but yeah, that's also a big one. Although in my case it's not gonna be a huge deal until I can upgrade to a CPU that doesn't hold back my GPU hahaha.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
nature of the indie scene I'm afraid now; even being great isn't enough to stand out on its own and its been this way for years now.

PS: actually, personally that's actually why I find indie showcases a waste of time; a parade of 2 mins trailers means nothing when the scene is so damn stacked

PPS: a great anecdotal example from me, that I think encapsulates the change in the indie scene over the years.
I LOVE To The Moon it's one of my fave indie games and I'm replaying that series just now before tucking into the new one.

Now that game came out in 2011 and was seemingly everywhere at the time and was discussed on forums etc for quite a while post launch in recommendations and such.
The sequel Finding Paradise came in 2017 and discussion came and went much more quickly but it still had its moment in the sun with PC Gamer articles and the like on launch.
Now in 2021 you'd be forgiven for not knowing the 3rd installment had even existed let alone had been released; it hasn't even got a wikipedia page unlike the other two!
And I'm not even going to mention the name of it to prove the point that most probably don't know it...
I can't remember seeing much talk about it either but it has 3711 reviews on steam where unsighted has 116, both released on the same day and both very well received indie games otherwise. So i guess having an established fanbase is really good when there isn't much talk about you... why am i posting rubbish anybody with 2 braincells can see, i need to go to bed, gn8 :sleeping-face:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
A small rant:

As I get older I'm starting to find the minuscule and inofensive details more and more aggravating to the point of despair when I come across them.
For instance, right now I'm finally playing Bloodstained and it's pretty good. I'd like some things to be a bit different like running a bit faster or the dodge not being dogshit but I can live with it. However the "dying loop" is grind my gears... If I die I have to wait for the fade out animation, then a big dramatic "Game Over" splash screen, then two!!!!! loading screens before I can fynally play again. All things considered it's about 20-30s of wasted time that inevitably add up.

/rant

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hey folks, the person who started up Famiboards reached out to me about creating an index of sorts on Famiboards that links to the other sites of Communities that abandoned Reset (like XboxEra, InstallBase etc). Just thought I'd see if people here were keen to have Metacouncil be part of the index?
I see no harm in that! Then again I know nothing about the other sites mentioned haha

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
A small rant:
Yeah.... a lot long animations also get on my nerves these days. Can't remember which game was exactly that I played lately that had so many sloooooow fade to white to transitions between scenes that by the end I was getting really annoyed.

So when possible I'm using Cheat Engine and/or mods to get rid of these things.

Basically, I can confirm that as we get older, we get crankier :p

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Go for it! See no problem with that. Can also help grow the communities together.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I'd like to use this index but not let anyone else so we don't get a big influx of randos. :smart-thinking-blob:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So uh, Back 4 Blood is a bit low on content no? I’ve played 2 hours and honestly after beating the campaign once I don’t think I’ll want to play through it again.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Echoes of the Eye DLC for Outer Wilds finished (was on vacation last week or would have finished like 8 days ago). It's... a very mixed bag. There are a lot of the elements I love from OW in there, especially the first half is just great, but the second part is a big pile of boring / tedium really bogging down the last few big puzzles and learnings. I just truly don't understand why any of the gameplay there could be considered fun or interesting, it's just not. It also is extremely linear and discourages exploration and experimentation which is like, the antithesis of OW.

It sucks because like... there's a fair bit to like, if you love OW. But you have to put up with a LOT to get the full experience that is not only not like OW but not what I would consider "fun" or "interactive" for like 3 hours. OW is one of my top games of all time and while this delivers a few hours more of that experience it just does too much wrong to recommend. I think OW is better without it.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
This reminds me that the death of GFWL was what lead me to the old-old place (that shall not be named) back in 2014. I believe Grief.exe had an excellent thread where you could track the slow removal of GFWL from Batman Arkham City and all the other games that similarly ditched GFWL at the same time.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Stevey

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
New Valve patent from yesterday

Title:

Motor including a seal covering a high reflectivity metallic surface of a rotor hub

Document Type and Number:

United States Patent 11146130

Abstract:

This motor includes a stationary portion including a stator; and a rotating portion supported to be rotatable about a central axis extending in a vertical direction with respect to the stationary portion, and including a shaft arranged to extend along the central axis. The stationary portion includes a bearing arranged to rotatably support the shaft, and a base portion arranged to hold the stator. The rotating portion includes a rotor hub portion arranged to extend in an annular shape around the shaft; a magnet directly or indirectly fixed to the rotor hub portion, and arranged opposite to the stator; a flywheel arranged axially above the rotor hub portion; and a seal portion arranged to have a thickness smaller than the thickness of the magnet. At least a portion of an outer circumferential surface of the rotor hub portion is a metal surface. The metal surface has a reflectivity higher than the reflectivity of an outer circumferential surface of the flywheel and the reflectivity of a surface of the seal portion. The metal surface is covered with the seal portion.

Something for "Index 2"?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Title:

Motor including a seal covering a high reflectivity metallic surface of a rotor hub

Abstract:

This motor includes a stationary portion including a stator; and a rotating portion supported to be rotatable about a central axis extending in a vertical direction with respect to the stationary portion, and including a shaft arranged to extend along the central axis. The stationary portion includes a bearing arranged to rotatably support the shaft, and a base portion arranged to hold the stator. The rotating portion includes a rotor hub portion arranged to extend in an annular shape around the shaft; a magnet directly or indirectly fixed to the rotor hub portion, and arranged opposite to the stator; a flywheel arranged axially above the rotor hub portion; and a seal portion arranged to have a thickness smaller than the thickness of the magnet. At least a portion of an outer circumferential surface of the rotor hub portion is a metal surface. The metal surface has a reflectivity higher than the reflectivity of an outer circumferential surface of the flywheel and the reflectivity of a surface of the seal portion. The metal surface is covered with the seal portion.

Something for "Index 2"?

Sounds like Lighthouse base stations technology, so, maybe? Most of their latest patents are related to VR technology, so I would expect this to be the same.

• Eyes

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com

Title:

Abstract:

Something for "Index 2"?

For a second I thought I was at work (I work in valve industry and I sell a lot of motorized valves :steam_cleanseal:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
For a second I thought I was at work (I work in valve industry and I sell a lot of motorized valves :steam_cleanseal:
Heh.

Also for same reason searching for Valve in these databases suck, gazillions of lawsuits/patents from Precision Valve etc.

• Eyes

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
It looks like that Nvidia won't offer Standard versions of their drivers anymore just DCH ones with UWP Control Panel. Good job Nvidia.
I just use GFE, what's the different between DCH and standard?
I've googled it, but can't find anything concrete.

• Eyes

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's the Microsoft standard framework for new drivers for the last few years, basically Windows 10+, it's just had a bit of a lengthy introduction by some manufacturers. Nvidia announced they were going DCH a long time ago and Intel and Dell went DCH years ago. It seperates System and User components of the Driver and also has extra signing and a different driverstore layout. It's mainly a security thing.

For the user it mainly means that the Control Panel needs to be downloaded from the store now as it's a UWP app.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Heh.

Also for same reason searching for Valve in these databases suck, gazillions of lawsuits/patents from Precision Valve etc.
Yeah, that's why for a while I was able to access Steam at work (because a lot of valves are designed for steam, obviously). But one day, someone uphigh realized the mistake and shut down access to Steam :disapproval-blob:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Yeah, that's why for a while I was able to access Steam at work (because a lot of valves are designed for steam, obviously). But one day, someone uphigh realized the mistake and shut down access to Steam :disapproval-blob:
We actually have access to GOG and Humble at work. Not Steam of course.

Also MC has been blocked fairly recently, which is very weird. Someone from IT mustve seen it accessed in the logs and flagged it as "weird" and then looked into it, noticed it was "gaming" and decided to block it, or something.

• Eyes
Reactions: Ruvon and Tomasety

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
They obviously haven't read the site as nobody here plays games we just buy 'em.
Maybe that's why people play more games on consoles, since the prices are so insane you won't be buying a great many games.

Like, I was looking at some other Switch exclusives like The World Ends With You final remix, and it's crazy how a game from 2018 still goes for like 50€.
Keeping hearing great things about that game, so maybe I'll bite the bullet at some point.

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
It looks like that Nvidia won't offer Standard versions of their drivers anymore just DCH ones with UWP Control Panel. Good job Nvidia.
Out of curiosity, why do you need the standard drivers?
Echoes of the Eye DLC for Outer Wilds finished (was on vacation last week or would have finished like 8 days ago). It's... a very mixed bag. There are a lot of the elements I love from OW in there, especially the first half is just great, but the second part is a big pile of boring / tedium really bogging down the last few big puzzles and learnings. I just truly don't understand why any of the gameplay there could be considered fun or interesting, it's just not. It also is extremely linear and discourages exploration and experimentation which is like, the antithesis of OW.

It sucks because like... there's a fair bit to like, if you love OW. But you have to put up with a LOT to get the full experience that is not only not like OW but not what I would consider "fun" or "interactive" for like 3 hours. OW is one of my top games of all time and while this delivers a few hours more of that experience it just does too much wrong to recommend. I think OW is better without it.
Oh my god, I absolutely loved the DLC! Best content I've played all of 2021.

I totally understand if people don't like the stealth parts though.

• Comfy
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Maybe that's why people play more games on consoles, since the prices are so insane you won't be buying a great many games.

Like, I was looking at some other Switch exclusives like The World Ends With You final remix, and it's crazy how a game from 2018 still goes for like 50€.
Keeping hearing great things about that game, so maybe I'll bite the bullet at some point.
this might be something psychological too, when you drop more money on something, youre more likely to use it. I tend to play the full-priced games I buy earlier, compared to budget titles, games on sales or in bundles.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It doesn't seem to matter to me if a game was full price AAA or a bundle game or Indie, i'll play it or drop it as i please.
I stopped playing Tales of Arise and finished Star Trek Elite Force 1&2 in the last few days. I'll probably go back and finish Lake tonight before picking up ToA again and then i'll go back and finish Cyberpunk.

I play what i want, when i want to, it's a hobby and entertainment not a job or social obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.