Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
unfortunately:

can I just ask why you always crop the top row from these? I'm always a bit foggy what each column is.

Seems my YouTube career is over before it even began! I broke my front tooth today! Man it sucks getting old after spending ones youth not caring about mouth hygiene.
man that sucks, I'm sorry! Hope you can get it fixed and that French health insurance system covers that...

~

someone was talking about Tetris on the Steam Deck somewhere – I want to also recommend Quadrapassel which should be available as a Flatpak on KDE Discover. Its a very simply Tetris clone.

~

Regarding the Silent Hill rumors: Ive seen several people mention Bloober in a bit of a disparaging way, is there any reason for this? I only played one game of theirs, The Medium, but thought that was great. So I wonder if they're regarded as a subpar developer or something?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
There's always Tetris Effect, it works on Deck, right?

Edit: though last I see them comment is that they "target" 60fps on Deck so I guess other environments may not be as smooth? You have to check user reviews.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
After taking to Mor about this, I considered the option to ask my fellow Meta members what they would have to say when certain devs use external plugins for marketing and economical gains.
I personally dislike this kind of telemetry collection. If I had the choice, I always selected "no" if the terms and conditions for data collection still allows me to play the game.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
After taking to Mor about this, I considered the option to ask my fellow Meta members what they would have to say when certain devs use external plugins for marketing and economical gains.
it really depends what you mean here.
In my case I always opt out of sharing data if possible, but forced telemetry where my data is anonymous is not a dealbreaker for me.
Also depends what you mean with "marketing and economical gains", to market something specifically to me they'd need ads inside the game and I'd never buy such a game in the first place.
If they are just collecting to anonymized data to decide what to focus on for dlcs, what to market in general and similar stuff then I don't care.

This all assumes telemetry doesn't require me to be always online and I can play offline without issues.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
Toejam and Earl is being given away on EGS, and the Steam version now forces installation of Epic Online Services. I even tried to cancel installation and it still installed on my PC. I'm getting pretty tired of this. I can tolerate EOS as long as I don't have to install anything extra, but including the overlay and program is my personal red line, especially with Steam versions.
The sad truth is EOS will continue growing unless there is a better alternative that have crossplay functionality and is similarly free to use.

EOS is the current most affordable way for most devs so I don't blame devs using it but I sure do hope that someone is already working on an alternative

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Quoting this here just so for people who don't venture outside the steam thread! :D

Hey folks! Li Kao, Le Pertti and myself have been looking for a fourth to join us in Grounded. We usually play during my lunch break (noon EST) on Mondays or sometimes Thursdays. We're still sort of just starting out so you won't have missed much. We have been using voice chat but it's not required so don't feel pressured into it if you'd rather not. It's always a lot of fun and a chill time and folks are always welcome. :blobhug:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Seems my YouTube career is over before it even began! I broke my front tooth today! Man it sucks getting old after spending ones youth not caring about mouth hygiene.
Hey, I’m missing the two upper middle teeth. Not even related to tooth hygiene, just plain old diabete (seeing my father fade away may have played a part).
Thank your lucky star, one tooth is replaceable, two is a lot more annoying.

(I too hope you can use some social help to fund that, obviously)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hey, I’m missing the two upper middle teeth. Not even related to tooth hygiene, just plain old diabete (seeing my father fade away may have played a part).
Thank your lucky star, one tooth is replaceable, two is a lot more annoying.

(I too hope you can use some social help to fund that, obviously)
Yeah that does sound annoying! At that point one has protheses right?

I have a dentist appointment for tomorrow, I know my medical insurance covers urgent matters but not cosmetic stuff, not sure what broken front tooth counts as, since it isn't hurting and only real problem is the visual.

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah that does sound annoying! At that point one has protheses right?

I have a dentist appointment for tomorrow, I know my medical insurance covers urgent matters but not cosmetic stuff, not sure what broken front tooth counts as, since it isn't hurting and only real problem is the visual.
Yup, and let me tell you, tolerating a prosthesis in your mouth is every shade of difficult. The joke is that as I didn’t use it enough my teeth have ‘budged’ and now this shit don’t fit and I am back at square one.
If you listen to my dentist smokers have more difficulties tolerating those things, for whatever reason.

Oh yeah, rich people might do implants, but I’m not one and it’s a big no no with diabetes :confused-face:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Lol, RPG Developer Bakin is 53. Discounted.
What was I expecting ?

• Eyes

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
But is it free then though? Might as well go for Godot!

Yes I am big Godot shill since.:D
Well, if you just want to develop in a long time with no plans to export to executables, it is free. You can export to their Opera GX for free if want to share your game with others.

If you plan to publish to Steam or whatever platform, you can subscribe for a month for 10 dollars or so, export your game and then unsubscribe. It's not a big cost.

If you feel confident with Godot then you can of course stay with it. I like GameMaker more :p

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Well, if you just want to develop in a long time with no plans to export to executables, it is free. You can export to their Opera GX for free if want to share your game with others.

If you plan to publish to Steam or whatever platform, you can subscribe for a month for 10 dollars or so, export your game and then unsubscribe. It's not a big cost.

If you feel confident with Godot then you can of course stay with it. I like GameMaker more :p
Yeah one should stick to what one is most comfortable with it, but if someone is starting from zero, at least I think Godot is a good choice since it has a lot of momentum behind it and is already considered a valid alternative to Unreal and Unity. While GameMaker is a valid choice, it doesn't really have such strong community these days, at least from what I can tell online, havent heard many recommend it to newcomers.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Euro Truck Simulator 2 has proven to be a success story beyond our dreams, having sold over 13 million copies during its first 10 years, and Steam reporting over 80 million DLCs purchased, from small cosmetic packs like paint jobs to major world expansions.
Euro Truck Sim 2 is still in the top 20 by Steam DAUs as well.

The sad truth is EOS will continue growing unless there is a better alternative that have crossplay functionality and is similarly free to use.

EOS is the current most affordable way for most devs so I don't blame devs using it but I sure do hope that someone is already working on an alternative
I know MIcrosoft has Playfab for its crossplay services (and Valheim uses it), but it isn't free like EOS. I'm fine with EOS in theory, but bundling installers in the Steam version is a big nope for me. I'll either play the game on console or not play it all if the Steam version has an EOS installer.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

only 1€ discount this month, and it's one I really want..
Also got a 9€ offer. I wonder how they decide who gets what. But I would have grabbed it even at full price, since it has a lot of stuff I want, so I guess not giving too big of a discount to me this time was an accurate judgment, lol.

• Eyes

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Also got a 9€ offer. I wonder how they decide who gets what. But I would have grabbed it even at full price, since it has a lot of stuff I want, so I guess not giving too big of a discount to me this time was an accurate judgment, lol.
Yeah, same for me, 9€ good for Deathloop alone. Others are just extra.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
If this skips PC I won't understand given both Cyber Sleuth and Survive performed well, but hey, Japanese Randomness strikes again, I guess.

Waiting for western confirmation before I get disappointed but already outlooks not so great for some of us.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I have never ever gotten a mn email offer from humble.:(
Do you pause, or cancel?
If you pause, you maybe get an offer when trying to pause again (or cancel).
If you cancel, they send you an offer sometime during the month.

I used to pause, but after they switched the Choice model up again and added the discount restrictions I always cancel. Can't forget to pause and accidentally buy a month I don't want that way.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Do you pause, or cancel?

I used to pause, but after they switched the Choice model up again and added the discount restrictions I always cancel. Can't forget to pause and accidentally buy a month I don't want that way.
I got that pause offer pretty much each time.

Soon

Also

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Do you pause, or cancel?

I used to pause yeah and often did get an offer then. But I have cancelled now. So yeah maybe I haven’t been cancelled long enough.

• Sad

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I used to pause yeah and often did get an offer then. But I have cancelled now. So yeah maybe I haven’t been cancelled long enough.
I honestly don't know how it works. I think I got one each month since I cancelled? But I'm not 100% sure.
Do you get other Humble Mails? Are you subscribed to their Humble Choice newsletter?

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I started pausing Humble about 6-9 months ago, never got any offer to stay. Cancelled about 4 months ago and no offers 🤷‍♂️

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.