Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Darktide is pretty cool, I played 4~ hours of it

The music is great, aesthetic for it is also fantastic

Vermintide 2 is fun to play but I think one of the problems I have with it is as far as playing it, I always liked the "bad guy" races in non 40k warhammer so playing the "good guys" or the self reported good guys was always k ind of whatever

I had already posted this in the wrong thread because I saw "STEAM" and went "Oh that's the right thread" when it was the new release thread, not the steam thread. Whoops

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Not sure I'd be this hyped, honestly.
The last rumours were that they had the devs of Layers of Fears working on a new Silent Hll game. Not expecting much, tbh.
Layers of Fears devs working on a new Silent Hill would be an improvement over what we're getting.
I mean, really, I heard it was going to be made by The Medium devs :blobxorcism:

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Layers of Fears devs working on a new Silent Hill would be an improvement over what we're getting.
I mean, really, I heard it was going to be made by The Medium devs :blobxorcism:
not sure if joke or not, but Layers of Fears and The Medium are the same devs, Bloober Team.

Reactions: Tomasety

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Rip platinum games.

They have been going down since 2017.

Maybe Bayo 3 will be a smash hit or something.

But yeah it sucks.

So in the US animators seem to be paid more than Japanese animators

In Japan VA seem to get paid more than US VA for anime (dub) and Japanese games.

VA in games is weird. I'm not sure what the total amount of hours is.

For me working full time, $4k is what I make in 2 months. How VA can take well over 2 months I would imagine especially if you are voicing the main character.

I can't imagine being paid something like $4k and working on say a RockStar game, seeing how the VA for RDR2 took 8 years!!!!!!!!!! For 8 years people were recording and rerecording their lines. I think Rockstar is different and for VA they use to have famous people but because of issues with past games, they choose instead of not use famous people since they would be able to have a dedicated team that would be able to record their lines for years and not have to deal with as much drama.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Rip platinum games.

2017 is pretty recent in game dev time. Alternatively, they've only really had one seemingly major dud (if we don't consider it a game of lesser to them importance as in the past they did smaller games like Transformers and Legend of Korra alongside their most famous/liked games) that could be pinned on Square just as easily while their bigger games like Astral Chain and Nier: Automata have been pretty well received to say the least. Hardly has beens since these show they still make good stuff and don't only rely on the fame of past generations like the original Bayonetta, Vanquish and MGR. The only other negative I can think about (or rather for) them is getting replaced for Relink but we don't know the reason (and it looked spectacular, I hope work continues in that vein).

And as for the hate on Kamiya over his twitter blocking, I don't see why people take it so seriously, he clearly doesn't and it was fun for memes, including those Mega 64 funny videos about it and how they went to Osaka to ask him to unblock them, folks messaging him to get blocked on purpose, etc., people trying to link any of the blocks to the VA situation or his actual character as a person is sensationalist reaching imo and he probably deleted his account himself over it.

Even if everything Hellena said is 100% true, and I have no reason to doubt it until/if someone actually elaborates from the other side rather than leave it at "lies" or whatever, at most they can be accused of making one less than great professional move, it's hardly something to cancel them over. Like, sure, for Hellena it's apparently her livelihood since Bayonetta is half her career but for everyone else it's just one VA for a non story based game that was lucky to become a series at all. Of course I'm all for all folks getting paid more and I don't agree with those likening VA, who don't have a stable 9 to 5 job but have to keep hunting for projects, to similar circumstances, they certainly should be paid way more to account for how it's not guaranteed when they will find the next gig, to account for projects they can't take on while working on others, etc., it's all so very time sensitive and not every profession is on the same terms to expect them to only make the same as me per hour or something. Royalties would be great too, though it'd be hard to gauge the percentages. I'd not expect VA to get more than the art or gameplay directors. At the same time, I think VA for a game like Bayonetta is not at all the same as VA for a game like MGS or Yakuza or whatever it's likened to, surely everyone agrees that while it's great when such games have a fun story (and that's the most you can expect from them, not some emotional roller coaster with deep insights and some profound meaning) it's really little more than an excuse for the combat so Bayonetta (which also is far from AAA, that would be DMCV) was never Snake and nobody cancelled Kojima over ditching Hayter for MGSV anyway, they just cancelled Konami when they ditched Kojima.

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Rip platinum games.
Maybe Bayo 3 will be a smash hit or something.
But yeah it sucks.
I think you overestimate how much people outside of gaming a)will ever know, b)give a single fuck if they do.
It may tarnish Platinum a bit in the industry, but not enough to do any lasting damage

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
It may sound a bit silly to recommend yet another PAC-MAN compilation in 2022, but PAC-MAN MUSEUM+ is a very solid collection, that is well worth the price tag. This one includes 14 games, better emulation than the previous compilation that was available on Steam, a lovely presentation, and plenty of customization, unlockables, and challenges. It even has plenty of leaderboards for the various games included.

It's funny how often we forget just how fun this franchise is, and how varied the output is, despite the simple dot eating premise. Some games work better than others, but there's a lot of fun to be had in the included games. And even a few surprises for most users. For example, I always had a soft spot for games like PAC-MANIA, which remains a personal favourite, but this collection provided me with my first contact with the Arcade Version of PAC-MAN ARRANGEMENT (not to be confused with the game that was released on consoles, and previous compilations, bearing the same name), and it already became one of my favourite games in the series. It's a joyful and fun game, with a lovely and colourful pixel art presentation, and fast and highly responsive gameplay, that is a must play for fans of the series (the screenshot above, to the right, is from the game; that stage isn't the most visually appealing, but it serves as an example).

If you like the series, this one is a no-brainer. Great, affordable fun.
(on a side note, this compilation was handled by the company that developed... Splatterhouse 2 and 3!)
I totally recommend Pac-Man Museum+ too, it's great, much better than the previous one. Also love Arrangement, I never knew how "rare" it was lol, I think it was my second Pac-Man game or so, played in the Pac-Man Collection on GBA. Much better than the PSP/Home Console variant!

Deleted member 113

Yesterday, I mentioned the 8-bit "demastered" version of PAC-MAN Championship Edition that many people don't know about, and kept saying how it has a great presentation and soundtrack.

I can't resist posting another track from this great soundtrack. :)
Again, do note that this isn't just an 8-bit chiptune sounding track, but an actual track from a game that works on original Famicom hardware, which makes this even more impressive:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
This shit drops today in EA.

I'm vaguely interested as it seems like an RPG Maker that doesn't makes your eyes bleed. Relatively. And it apparently does modern nicely if we go by the video.
As always though, what's the point. I can't do original graphics and I'm also pretty certain the things I have in mind require more programming skill than I have or than the app let's you use.

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
GUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Let me face the heat.
  • Silent Hill 1-4 were lightening-in-bottle situation, games so good/unique/(good adjectives) that they can never be replicated.
    You can see that with later Silent Hill titles imitate them and failed (Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, Downpour). Some of these have merits, but that's it.
    If the rumored western studios try to re-tread classic games, we are going to end up in Origins/Homecoming state again. Remake/Reimagining will require immense effort, otherwise it will be inferior clone like most remakes.
  • P.T. / Kojima Hills was the brand new creativity that the franchise needed. New type of horror never seen before. That is why it got so popular and was received so well.
Whatever the case, if it's not just a "testing the waters" situation and they are actually serious for the IP (hard to say about big publishers these days), then good. But otherwise, this announcement means nothing to me.

My Slient Hill background -
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4 somewhat personally special games. It let me explore and reevaluate my own thoughts and feelings, and the soundtrack came just the right moment in my life. I'm always thankful for that.
But I don't cling to the IP, I know when to let a good thing go.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I'm sorry for posting this here, probably better in another thread but Darktide beta test app contains Adware, detected by Kaspersky AV.

There's an official post regarding the issue at hand but without any dev response.

After taking to Mor about this, I considered the option to ask my fellow Meta members what they would have to say when certain devs use external plugins for marketing and economical gains.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
But I don't cling to the IP, I know when to let a good thing go.
Something gamers at large have a lot of trouble doing, unfortunately. The issue in my mind is more about game preservation, who fucking cares if there is no fucking follow up to a series, years after the fact, with barely any members of the original team left.
People can still do spiritual successors, nothing is stopping them. It could even be interesting to see new ideas.

The ridiculous pressure and unreachable expectations...

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Let me face the heat.
  • Silent Hill 1-4 were lightening-in-bottle situation, games so good/unique/(good adjectives) that they can never be replicated.
    You can see that with later Silent Hill titles imitate them and failed (Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, Downpour). Some of these have merits, but that's it.
    If the rumored western studios try to re-tread classic games, we are going to end up in Origins/Homecoming state again. Remake/Reimagining will require immense effort, otherwise it will be inferior clone like most remakes.
  • P.T. / Kojima Hills was the brand new creativity that the franchise needed. New type of horror never seen before. That is why it got so popular and was received so well.
Whatever the case, if it's not just a "testing the waters" situation and they are actually serious for the IP (hard to say about big publishers these days), then good. But otherwise, this announcement means nothing to me.
I agree to every single word.
I would be happy to be wrong, but I have no positive expectations at all.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Couple quick-shots from the weekend. A few Wishlist discounts came across my radar and I bit on two. Once again proving that anything under $20 will always land in guilt-free impulse buy territory.

Walked away super-pleased with both.

Starcom is a top-down sandbox rpg along the lines of Starsector but with a more streamlined vibe to it. Has most of the feature sets found in SS and at the same time feels more breezy in practice. Looks awesome and plays well.

Continuing on the laid-back train, Urbek is a city builder that has you balancing growth across food/resource/labor vectors. The 3 elements feed into each other so expansion and unit upgrades feel puzzlelike in nature and encourages balanced development paths. This one looks charming and you can even enter first-person mode and explore your map at street level.

Urbek has a demo that for some strange reason isn't linked on the store page.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Azure coming in March 2023 :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Durante bless
Based Durante making the Crossbell arc available to us so quickly.

I've really enjoyed my playthough of Zero (again). I dunno if I'll keep going as I mostly wanted to see the port and I think I've seen all that I need here.

If Azure is on this level, then it should be an instabuy for every single Trails fan. These two games are maybe the best in the series. So nice to have official and easy access to high quality versions.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Alongside the Nintendo Switch version, I was most excited to check out Persona 5 Royal on Steam Deck. It was showcased at TGS 2022 running on Steam Deck, so I was hoping there would be no issues. Having now spent dozens of hours with it on Steam Deck, it looks and runs great at 60fps. You can even push it a bit more with 900p or 1080p resolution or increase the render scale to your liking while maintaining 60fps. While you could stick to 30fps for better battery life, I decided to keep things at the best possible fidelity with 60fps in my time with it on Steam Deck.

If you do have a Steam Deck and were wondering how Persona 5 Royal is on it, it is fantastic and exceeded my expectations in just about every way. Being able to also set DualSense button prompts here made it a much better experience for me considering I’ve put in hundreds of hours into Persona 5 Royal with those prompts across the PS4 version of the base game and Royal. You can set it to PlayStation (both PS4 and PS5), Xbox, and Switch prompts here.
I hope this is true. Playing Soul Hackers 2 on the deck was a mess. I still played 90% of the game on it though.

While Persona 5 Royal didn’t get a PC port of the same quality as recent Falcom games ported by PH3, it exceeded my expectations with its support for 120fps, much better resolution support than the PS4 version, and a plethora of control options while being superb on Steam Deck.

;)

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I know voice acting is very expensive, but Potionomics would've benefited immensely from even a little bit of VA. I feel for devs if they stretched their funding and still couldn't accommodate.

(edit: actually, maybe there is in the final game, I only played the demo)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I think steam finally remembers where you are in your wishlist when go to the store page and back to the wishlist. Was a pain to check a game on your wishlist and then have to start way at the top. Doesn't seem to extend to the activity feed yet.
This makes me think it would be nice if clicking on the game in desktop or browser wishlist, it opened a new page or tab without having to middle mouse click. I guess some folks would not like this.

That said, I just want dedicated buttons to add to cart OR add to cart & check out on both the store page and the wishlist. :plsblob:

Status
Not open for further replies.