Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
It's ridiculous how cheap the whole Metro saga is on steam right now.
This is going to be a very scary moment for all of us, so i'll put this behind a massive trigger warning

We are closer to the year Metro 2033 is set in, than the one it released

That's what everyone meant by this:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
No matter when MS releases this, I think it’ll be a while before we see it being properly utilised in games.

There’s not many next-gen console games out there and I’ve not really seen anything on PS5/Xbox that, if ported to PC, would really benefit from this.

I guess if Sony is porting Rift Apart we’ll get good interdimensional loading times?

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Very Very Very happy to report that the hotfix for CP2077/ driver 522.25 not only fixes the map bug, but also keeps the performance gains originally set out by the driver.

Without even changing a setting on my end, my minimum FPS in the bench went from 29 to 45. I can walk/drive around most of the City in the high 60's/lower 70's. All RTX is on too, lighting, shadows, etc... DLSS Quality. Oh and my resolution is 1440p.

(i7 8700k and EVGA 3070ti)

I'm a happy camper. :blobmelt:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Very Very Very happy to report that the hotfix for CP2077/ driver 522.25 not only fixes the map bug, but also keeps the performance gains originally set out by the driver.

Without even changing a setting on my end, my minimum FPS in the bench went from 29 to 45. I can walk/drive around most of the City in the high 60's/lower 70's. All RTX is on too, lighting, shadows, etc... DLSS Quality. Oh and my resolution is 1440p.

(i7 8700k and EVGA 3070ti)

I'm a happy camper. :blobmelt:
Something was wrong with your setup before. With same CPU and 3070 I gained 3FPS in benchmark after driver update.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Is it crazy to think that some how Valve will end up doing something special next year to mark the 20th anniversary of Steam?

Wii Shop was founded in 2006

And basically all the other like PSN and Xbox Live would not allow you to download full games until at least 2007 and later.

Something that I leaned is that the idea of being able to download games, is not a new idea and has been around since the 80s with mixed results. SEGA and Nintendo both did it years ago and it worked but it was not able to download full games through and you needed to pay a sub service to even access the feature. Fees are still around for some stuff but you can also download full games now.

Back in 2004 you could have purchased Half Life 2 and 20 years you can still download it using your same account. Sadly that is not the case with those other services, even companies like Apple had had changes that old stuff purchased on iOS won't work on newer phones unless the devs updated stuff to X64 and other things from what I remember, so unless you dig up an old iphone you won't be able to use that purchases.

Steam has really taken off and I do hope that they do something to show just how far it has come in the past 20 years and how huge of impact it has had on gaming.

Maybe they will even announce Half Life 3?

"Best played on Steam"

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
They might do a special store wide sale, they might give away some of their older games for free. They might throw a few new things for the anniversary in the point shop. There will probably be a blog post. Honestly I don't expect much, if a anything at all.
They are going to personally invite all of us to Valve HQ and I hope that you all go.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
With no luck trying to make Steam's Tetris Ultimate run on Deck and Switch Tetris 99 is one the few games that doesn't work well on yuzu or ryujinx
I ended decrypting my 3DS ROM and using citra core to play Tetris Ultimate on Steam Deck.
Looks and play quite good with x4 3DS resolution.

That said one of my most wanted Deck features is an easy totally restoring option. Valve should make this available, I would like to restore my Deck to arrange some folders and installations now I'm more used to it but I don't want to deal with OS Isos and some options I watched on youtube tutorials.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

Am I the only one that's been getting extremely low download speeds in Europe, in particular this month?
I went from high 70-80 MBs to... 1-2 (sometimes, it's even less). OK, so it sometimes reaches 10-20 for a few seconds, but even that is less than a quarter than what I used to get.

The local Iberian Peninsula download servers have been a mess for ages, so for a few years, I've been using the Swedish servers, in particular Gothenburg, which is where I would get the best speed from, but now even that gets me these low speeds.

My internet appears to be fine, I get the usual speeds for all other services.

It's getting quite annoying. Fortunately, most games I play are small, but I just downloaded a 10GB game, and it took me more than 30 minutes, instead of a couple.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
With no luck trying to make Steam's Tetris Ultimate run on Deck and Switch Tetris 99 is one the few games that doesn't work well on yuzu or ryujinx
I ended decrypting my 3DS ROM and using citra core to play Tetris Ultimate on Steam Deck.

Looks and play quite good with x4 3DS resolution.

That said one of my most wanted Deck features is an easy totally restoring option. Valve should make this available, I would like to restore my Deck to arrange some folders and installations now I'm more used to it but I don't want to deal with OS Isos and some options I watched on youtube tutorials.
May I ask why you chose Tetris Ultimate instead of the other Tetris games?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Am I the only one that's been getting extremely low download speeds in Europe, in particular this month?
I went from high 70-80 MBs to... 1-2 (sometimes, it's even less). OK, so it sometimes reaches 10-20 for a few seconds, but even that is less than a quarter than what I used to get.

The local Iberian Peninsula download servers have been a mess for ages, so for a few years, I've been using the Swedish servers, in particular Gothenburg, which is where I would get the best speed from, but now even that gets me these low speeds.

My internet appears to be fine, I get the usual speeds for all other services.

It's getting quite annoying. Fortunately, most games I play are small, but I just downloaded a 10GB game, and it took me more than 30 minutes, instead of a couple.
I get the same speed as always, which is basically my connection limit. But that's "just" 20 MB/s, so if there's a regression at a higher rate I wouldn't notice.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
May I ask why you chose Tetris Ultimate instead of the other Tetris games?
oh, mainly because it's the closest game to the classic Tetris I was looking for on modern platforms. I have Tetris effect and the two puyo puyo Tetris on Steam too but the three games have elements that do not convince me if what I want is to simply play Tetris. They offer other additional elements but not the classic style that is what I am looking for. I would love for Tetris 99 to be on Steam, which for me is the best current Tetris, it is one of the games that I play the most in spare time.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
oh, mainly because it's the closest game to the classic Tetris I was looking for on modern platforms. I have Tetris effect and the two puyo puyo Tetris on Steam too but the three games have elements that do not convince me if what I want is to simply play Tetris. They offer other additional elements but not the classic style that is what I am looking for. I would love for Tetris 99 to be on Steam, which for me is the best current Tetris, it is one of the games that I play the most in spare time.
I understand and somewhat agree, thanks for the reply! :)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
One extra boss in P4G just taught me (or reminded maybe, P3 FES was a lifetime ago) about the value of not doing full team assaults in some cases. I'm pretty satisfied with myself to have figured it out and yeah, nice little subtlety.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Please ask Josh Sawyer to do it.

Also remember that Pentiment is releasing next month.
And for him to make it a turn-based, isometric CRPG again.
He's been pretty explicit on Twitter that he never, ever wants to make a "big" project ever again in his life

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Had a really weird situation with a bug in Metro Exodus, actually thought I had to start over.
There's this enemy made out of electricity and when it attacks you see blue sparks on the edges of the screen accompanied by the sound of electric crackling. After engaging with the enemy this effect stayed on my screen. Not even rebooting the game fixed it.
So before giving up on my current run and loosing 5 hours of progress I had the idea of finding and engaging one of those creatures again in the hopes that triggering the effect again would cause it to disappear.
It worked immediately, literally after the first time it attacked me I ran away and it was gone.
Like an animation that was stuck in a permanent loop and needed to be triggered again to finish and disappear from the screen or something.
It's just crazy to me that this actually worked.

On a different topic, Shadow Hearts FTNW is actually a very decent RPG when viewed in isolation from the rest of the series. It's a hard to get over the drastic change in tone but it does have it's merit and everything that made the series great from a gameplay perspective is still there.
It's been a minute since it released on PS2 but man, I didn't remember a single thing about the story.

Bought Plague Tale Requiem from CDkeys for 35€. Thank god these cheaper alternatives exist.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hey, Darktide might be good. In ten years. When we all have 2000 euros GPU.
Good Lord at the perfs. Even got a crash.

Too bad because it's not bad looking and 40K left4dead is nice.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety

Deleted member 113

2022 has been awesome in terms of game releases (or re-releases) featuring "arcade" gameplay.
I already mentioned the rather awesome Ninja JaJaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell, and NeverAwake, but there's plenty more to mention.

Today I'll mention a couple more titles and one compilation that, in my opinion, are well worth a look:

Maybe it wasn't the best idea to release this game at the same time (well, one day after) as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge.
A lot of people overlooked Final Vendetta because of that, which is too bad, because the game is a very solid, classic beat'em up, that in many ways sticks closer to the original Streets of Rage trilogy than Streets of Rage 4.
It's a lot of fun, and the awesome soundtrack, a great showcase of what the late 80's/early 90's UK dance scene was like (they even got Utah Saints to record some new music for it!), is perfect to get you in the mood to kick some ass.

Here's an example (skip to 1:19, which is when the track really starts):

---

At 39,99€ (+ a 10€ DLC), SOL CRESTA was never going to capture a big audience, outside of the "hardcore" shmup crowd.
Which is a bit tragic, since this simple looking shmup is actually a rather awesome mix between old and new. It's certainly an old school, classic (non-bullet hell) shmup, but it mixes it with a lot of modern gameplay sensibilities, making it a rather versatile game. For example, at the top of your power, you actually control 3 ships that connect with one another, and the order you place them results in different shots, and different specials. And, you can detach them in certain patterns (like you can see on the left of the screenshots above), to unleash devastating special attacks. And you even have special shots that are triggered by special inputs (à la fighting games).
Soundtracking the awesome gameplay is a kick-ass soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro. This one has Koshiro in absolutely top form. For example, the track that plays on stage 3 is such a "banger", it's almost impossible to sit still. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

SOL CRESTA is a rather fun shmup, and I do hope if it ever goes on sale, more people will give it a chance.

---

It may sound a bit silly to recommend yet another PAC-MAN compilation in 2022, but PAC-MAN MUSEUM+ is a very solid collection, that is well worth the price tag. This one includes 14 games, better emulation than the previous compilation that was available on Steam, a lovely presentation, and plenty of customization, unlockables, and challenges. It even has plenty of leaderboards for the various games included.

It's funny how often we forget just how fun this franchise is, and how varied the output is, despite the simple dot eating premise. Some games work better than others, but there's a lot of fun to be had in the included games. And even a few surprises for most users. For example, I always had a soft spot for games like PAC-MANIA, which remains a personal favourite, but this collection provided me with my first contact with the Arcade Version of PAC-MAN ARRANGEMENT (not to be confused with the game that was released on consoles, and previous compilations, bearing the same name), and it already became one of my favourite games in the series. It's a joyful and fun game, with a lovely and colourful pixel art presentation, and fast and highly responsive gameplay, that is a must play for fans of the series (the screenshot above, to the right, is from the game; that stage isn't the most visually appealing, but it serves as an example).

If you like the series, this one is a no-brainer. Great, affordable fun.
(on a side note, this compilation was handled by the company that developed... Splatterhouse 2 and 3!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

It may sound a bit silly to recommend yet another PAC-MAN compilation in 2022, but PAC-MAN MUSEUM+ is a very solid collection, that is well worth the price tag. This one includes 14 games, better emulation than the previous compilation that was available on Steam, a lovely presentation, and plenty of customization, unlockables, and challenges. It even has plenty of leaderboards for the various games included.

It's funny how often we forget just how fun this franchise is, and how varied the output is, despite the simple dot eating premise. Some games work better than others, but there's a lot of fun to be had in the included games. And even a few surprises for most users. For example, I always had a soft spot for games like PAC-MANIA, which remains a personal favourite, but this collection provided me with my first contact with the Arcade Version of PAC-MAN ARRANGEMENT (not to be confused with the game that was released on consoles, and previous compilations, bearing the same name), and it already became one of my favourite games in the series. It's a joyful and fun game, with a lovely and colourful pixel art presentation, and fast and highly responsive gameplay, that is a must play for fans of the series (the screenshot above, to the right, is from the game; that stage isn't the most visually appealing, but it serves as an example).

If you like the series, this one is a no-brainer. Great, affordable fun.
(on a side note, this compilation was handled by the company that developed... Splatterhouse 2 and 3!)
Sounds like a nice compilation, with lots of games that we don't see often.
And I agree, Pac Man is still a joy 40 years later, it's simple but super effective because it just plays well, it's fun and responsive. I do enjoy that the series is still very much alive today, both the original concept and now the remakes of Pac Man World too, it's cool.
I hope they continue giving it some budget so we get more of it like Crash 4. Not all 3D games got the care the little ball deserves...

Deleted member 113

Since I mentioned PAC-MAN in my previous post, allow me to mention a hidden gem in the series that many people overlook.

A while back, Bandai Namco released a couple of compilations called Namco Museum Archives, featuring a number of 8-bit titles in their catalogue.
Each of the two volumes also includes a surprise: a new, 8-bit "demastered" version of a Namco game, by M2.

On volume one, the included title is an 8-bit "demastered" version of PAC-MAN Championship Edition, and it already became one of my favourite titles in the series.
If basically features the gameplay of the original PAC-MAN Championship Edition, and a genuine 8-bit presentation and soundtrack that fits like a glove. This demastered version is fast (when the character reaches top speed, I believe it's actually a bit faster than the original Championship Edition), highly responsive, and the 8-bit presentation and remixed soundtrack if just great. I think it actually works better than the one on the original game (which was already a personal favourite).

Here's a random gameplay video of the game:

You may think: OK, that has a retro look, but like many "faux" 8-bit games that get released nowadays there's no way that's a genuine 8-bit NES game. Guess what: people extracted the ROM, and played it on original hardware, so yeah, this one actually plays on original hardware (Famicom)!

I'm a big fan of the original PAC-MAN Championship Edition, and this "demastered" version has the same addictive gameplay loop, highly responsive controls, and a presentation and remixed soundtrack that fits like a charm. M2 even included in-game achievements, and alternate modes!
I keep firing up this compilation, just to play this game! (y)

As an example of the remixed soundtrack included, here's one of my favourite tracks, which is an awesome 8-bit remix of the theme from Pac & Pal:

If anyone likes the series, and PAC-MAN Championship Edition in particular, I can't recommend this version enough.
The compilation it's included in (NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Vol 1 ) is frequently sold at 75% off or more, so even if you don't care about the other games included (and there's some cool stuff in there), this one is worth the price of it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Why is Vampire Survivors so addictive? I cant put it down.

The simplistic game design is just fun. The plant level has pissed me off too much so I'm done with it for awhile.

I've been playing 20 minutes till dawn the last couple days and its also addicting. You can actually aim/shoot in this one and its hard asf.

Brotato is another similar one with very positive reviews need to check it out too some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.