Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Not surprising that Halo would be switching to UE.
We know from reporting that Bungie's engine was onerous to work with on Destiny 1, and 343 inherited all that tech even before all that.

(duplication is back, yes :crying-face: )
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
In other news: my PC started falling apart software-wise in front of my eyes - increasingly slow startup, long reaction times, icons not loading. Initially thought it was windows dying, a virus or that my hard drive was failing but after hours of troubleshooting it just turned out to be a loose SATA cable...

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
In other news: my PC started falling apart software-wise in front of my eyes - increasingly slow startup, long reaction times, icons not loading. Initially thought it was windows dying, a virus or that my hard drive was failing but after hours of troubleshooting it just turned out to be a loose SATA cable...
Good cable management is not a joke, its an art and these are some of the reasons why. Glad you could remedy without having to spend money.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
My reaction to the Horizon news varies greatly depending on whether it's a remake or a remaster. People keep using those terms interchangeably as if they don't have completely different meanings and it drives me fucking nuts lmao.

But yeah, if it's a remaster that takes the existing game and improves what's already there by adding ray-tracing or whatever, then cool I guess. Won't expect a free update on PC although that would be nice.

But if it's actually a remake that rebuilds the entire game from scratch with completely new assets then WHY. That would be even more insane and unnecessary than TLoU...

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

If by some chance Sony decided to remaster/remake Bloodborne or something like that, I hope that they release it PC day and date with the PS version.

If Sony wants to make as much money as possible off that game then they would need to also release it on PC at the same time.

I still think that out of all of SIEs Bloodborne is the strangest one

Critical acclaimed but it didn't sell nearly as well as it's other AAA games.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
My reaction to the Horizon news varies greatly depending on whether it's a remake or a remaster. People keep using those terms interchangeably as if they don't have completely different meanings and it drives me fucking nuts lmao.

But yeah, if it's a remaster that takes the existing game and improves what's already there by adding ray-tracing or whatever, then cool I guess. Won't expect a free update on PC although that would be nice.

But if it's actually a remake that rebuilds the entire game from scratch with completely new assets then WHY. That would be even more insane and unnecessary than TLoU...
Sony must really want to nickel and dime as many older titles as they can. Is the PS5 hurting for new first party IP?

Not surprising that Halo would be switching to UE.
We know from reporting that Bungie's engine was onerous to work with on Destiny 1, and 343 inherited all that tech even before all that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
343 need to dev their own engine then. The industry needs more middleware, not less

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
A new Soul Hackers 2 patch is scheduled for November.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
343 need to dev their own engine then. The industry needs more middleware, not less
I mean I'm not opposed to it, but tech debt is a bitch and there's never time for maintenance so I'm just not surprised when this happens. With how long the dev cycles are these days, after shipping the game and patching it up if needed you would ideally have like 6 months or more to just work on refactoring and cleaning up all the hacky solutions from the last 4-6 years, but most studios don't have that luxury. It's all hands on deck for the next thing.

Obviously MS has the resources to afford that luxury but you know, the only place they are putting money on is gamepass.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
A new Soul Hackers 2 patch is scheduled for November.

God damnit, I'm almost done with the game.

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Overwatch 2 is tomorrow ! Can't say I'm particularly tempted as I'm not into PVP and they are awfully silent about when the PVE mode will be released, if they even still plan to do it, but sure, why not.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019

That's how i see it, if they can apply some of the HFW updates on HZD without creating a huge mountain of work and then price it appropriately as a 15€ DLC or something like that... not necessary but why not (though i'm not hopeful on sane pricing). A good reason would be if they had enough raw data from the original motion capture to run through the HFW facial/body animations system, that was weak in HZD and great in HFW.

If it's more of a remake for full price or close to it...

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
According to the social media manager for Sonic, while there's no date for it yet, Sonic Colors Ultimate is coming to Steam.
it will be released after frontiers release. They don’t want to affect Frontiers sales (it doesn’t need help to flop afterall).
Well even sega knows Frontiers gonna flop

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
it will be released after frontiers release. They don’t want to affect Frontiers sales (it doesn’t need help to flop afterall).
Well even sega knows Frontiers gonna flop

Yeah, it's likely to come a while after Frontiers.

About Frontiers, despite the early footage looking very rough, more recent footage looked alot more polished and other than a few exceptions, general opinions from people that have tried the demos in events has been positive.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Yeah, exactly!
A remake would be bizarre. A remaster/definitive edition would be unnecessary but for those that really want ray tracing or whatever...sure, why not? If its not a full-price patch... or indeed, a free patch that messes up the existing game (like the Tomb Raider patches, or BioShocks "have an extra launcher" patch)

But maybe they just want their own GTA Online and the remaster stuff is just an extra selling point.

I mean I'm not opposed to it, but tech debt is a bitch and there's never time for maintenance so I'm just not surprised when this happens. With how long the dev cycles are these days, after shipping the game and patching it up if needed you would ideally have like 6 months or more to just work on refactoring and cleaning up all the hacky solutions from the last 4-6 years, but most studios don't have that luxury. It's all hands on deck for the next thing.

Obviously MS has the resources to afford that luxury but you know, the only place they are putting money on is gamepass.
I said it before, but yeah, I prefer studios using their own engines, and more engines and middleware existing, instead of Unreal being the engine powering 90% of games. If only Unity wouldnt make all the mistakes...and if only middleware companies wouldnt happily sell their business to Epic. Now you have all the tech available from one source, of course thats enticing.

Overwatch 2 is tomorrow ! Can't say I'm particularly tempted as I'm not into PVP and they are awfully silent about when the PVE mode will be released, if they even still plan to do it, but sure, why not.
as a longtime Overwatch player, I am immensely disinterested in Overwatch 2, but I cant really say why. I guess its just a mix of all the changes & the business model.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Obsidian also released this hotfix version on the same day actually. Addresses all your gamepass related problems:
I'm nowhere near interested enough to pop 40 on the Steam version, thank you.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm nowhere near interested enough to pop 40 on the Steam version, thank you.
Hmmmmm....£10 for a bag of shite or £40 for a game.....hmmmmmm. :p

Sorry its all gone to shit and they really do need to sort themselves out. I don't do the gamepass thing becasue its just not worth the potential hassle. I'd probably already have a permanant sub if was smooth going and just let it run as a "cost of gaming" expense. Like I do with TV streaming where Its there, I pay but rarely watch stuff.

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I think that HZD rumor is overblown. I suspect Sony is just working on PS5 patch for the game. 4k 60 fps is all the treatment this game needs.

EDIT. Or maybe they are working on VR version of HZD? That would be cool.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Is 343 not big enough to support an engine team and their Halo team? It seems a no brainer in the long run to build their own Halo-engine and work with it until it bleeds tech dry trying to pump out fancier MC pixels instead of paying their competition for their engine that will have its own limitations

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
If by some chance Sony decided to remaster/remake Bloodborne or something like that, I hope that they release it PC day and date with the PS version.

If Sony wants to make as much money as possible off that game then they would need to also release it on PC at the same time.

I still think that out of all of SIEs Bloodborne is the strangest one

Critical acclaimed but it didn't sell nearly as well as it's other AAA games.
And WHY would they do something like that when they have their own first party games that they can remaster and / or port to PC?
Bloodborne is second party, unless From Games were idiots, Sony will get less from a Bloodborne remaster than from their own games.

*If Bloodborne isn't yet ported or remastered and just waits for a release

• Eyes

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
You better have adblock activated if you want to be able to use those websites in the future....
Oh sweet lord. My adblocker works overtime on Fandom sites.

The most obnoxious ads, auto playing videos of shite that scroll down the screen. Utterly abysmal.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
If any of you would buy a gaming related coffee mug, what would it be?
I wish someone could make one of those color change mugs for the classic DOOM guy face, but it would be too elaborate to change between two faces since the color has to change from black to color unless someone figures out a crafty way to overlay colors that could get reused. Hmm...

I use to have a huge Pokemon mug printed like a pokeball, but it hit the sink at just the right angle and cracked the handle.

Otherwise, I would probably buy anything VA-11 Hall-A, The Missing, or Darkest Dungeon related.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

If you're a Vampire Survivors fan you might want to check this out. It has the same basic concept, but with a fairly different structure due to having timed waves. It works perfectly out of the box on Steam Deck too.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
If any of you would buy a gaming related coffee mug, what would it be?

My boss already nabbed this one for me years ago 'cause she knew I was a Farming Simulator stan, lol.

I've broken with all things Giant Bomb soon after Gerstmann left.

My attention was already running on fumes with after GB East broke up. Unsuccessfully tried to connect with Nextlander, which never really grabbed me. And Jeff departing was just the final nail. Just too much a scattering of talent to different corners for me to keep up with.

Giant Bomb had a great run in my personal life. Like literally for a solid decade.

Along with the reg. rotation, Ryan Davis (rip), Drew Scanlon, Austin Walker, are all GB alums that left a lasting impression who will not be forgotten.

In the end though, nothing lasts forever. And that's okay. Just ask my first wife, lol!

It was time for me to move on. May not be everyone's story, but it sure is mine. No bitterness. No regrets. Just fond memories.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Oh man, I did not know that. Then I bet it's a VR version. There is no point in remastering this game, and a remake makes no sense.
They're already working on a Horizon VR game so I kinda doubt that.

My money is on an update with ray tracing and other stuff, a la Metro Exodus. How they handle it in terms of pricing is what will make it or break it though.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
They're already working on a Horizon VR game so I kinda doubt that.
Yeah, but it looks more like a showcase title rather than full-blown game. Sony needs solid titles to make PSVR2 adoption faster and porting older games to VR is a proven strategy ( RE4).

Status
Not open for further replies.