Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
As an average Japanese Jank enjoyer I'm going to treat myself to a copy as an early birthday present. :flare_bath:
Yeah, and Tri Ace makes good janky game :blobevening: . Resonance of Fate was a lot of fun and I got all the cheevos even though the process was very repetitive.

Reactions: Shantom

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
More like the lack of advertising. No review codes, like 2 trailers, not even a pre-load. Sony straight up sent it out to die.

The Regional pricing is actually pretty good in Canada btw. $60usd games are always priced at $80cad
This is obviously subjective but that's still way more than I'm willing to pay for a Sackboy game lol. Charging almost full price for a game basically no one was asking for... idk it's not a huge surprise to me that it sold like shit.

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Looks so much better than previous showcases. I am impressed by how they emphasize traversal in this game.

Last edited:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Do you start Steam client automatically on boot? It's trivial to set up the flag for the new BPM mode in the Windows Registry, so you don't have to click a shortcut all the time.
Not sure what your use-case is, but I switched off launching Steam on boot and put the modified shortcut in my Start-up folder. That did the trick.

The only downside is Valve doesn’t let you shut down your PC from the new UI.
Oh, I guess I was a bit vague. I don't want to use the new BPM all the time, which is what the current beta forces you to do afaik. You can't "exit BPM" and get the regular desktop client.
I have current steam set up in such a way that it normally boots into regular desktop mode and uses desktop overlay. But if I power up my controller, it will then use the BPM overlay.
That's currently not possible to do for the new overlay.
Which is what my "work around" would accomplish, just relaunching steam with the commandline to get the gamepad overlay when I plan to play a controller game.

Reactions: C-Dub

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Oh, I guess I was a bit vague. I don't want to use the new BPM all the time, which is what the current beta forces you to do afaik. You can't "exit BPM" and get the regular desktop client.
Adding custom shortcuts into the client was a tedious process in BPM mode. I normally exit the BPM mode to do this task. Hopefully the new BPM mode handles it better, though.

Reactions: Parsnip

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t know, I’m surely looking too much into it but all the traversal could be some stupid symbolism, she is URBAN you hear !
…or it could be far worse but I don’t see why it would always be the worst explanation, so let’s leave it at that.

Occam’s razor though, it’s probably because the world is fucking empty.

Reactions: Cacher

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
GOTY talk always makes me a bit depressed just cuz I only seem to play games when they've aged a bit. I always feel "behind." I think the only 2022 Games I played in 2022 are Elden Ring (100% Achievements and Completion on single file) and Vamp Survivors. Tbh, About 60% through Elden Ring i stopped enjoying it, and felt it became a bit more than tedious. I also noticed a lot of copy-paste in the various side contents which felt a bit disappointing.

Vamp Survivors is crack lol. But can something so simple be called a Goty?

... If I'm honest, the most fun I had with games this year is CP2077 after the Edgerunners patch. And also Hektor bought me RDR2 when I beat my Cancer as a celebration gift. I haven't touched much singleplayer yet, but I had A LOT of fun with the online components. Almost 60 hours just in online mode!

But of course these two games are older... 😓

Dunno, I see miku and I post, plus the artwork is nice
This is why I know you are a true friend worth having. :blobmelt:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
both Sackboy and Uncharted don’t appear to have got the same love from Sony than the rest of the games they have released on PC. Plus Uncharted didn’t appear to get the same port treatment as the rest as well.

Not sur if they had lower expectations for these games and chose to minimise advertising. Ot just they knew the ports weren’t great, or at least as good as previous releases.

a shame for Sackboy. This was the first of their releases I was genuinely looking forward to.

Isn't this game like really bad
I hope not. I love a good Picross game.
Vamp Survivors is crack lol. But can something so simple be called a Goty?
For me, yes. But then again Tetris is my GOAT. If a simple game still holds my attention a year after release into early access, 70hrs in and still brings a smile to my face then that deserves to be GOTY for me.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Nice. Wasn't expecting this to even hit beta before 2023. Will check it out when I have time later today.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Adding custom shortcuts into the client was a tedious process in BPM mode. I normally exit the BPM mode to do this task. Hopefully the new BPM mode handles it better, though.
Judging from how it's handled on Deck it won't handle it at all.
Nor will it allow for changing the game artwork.

Also, I love how the new BPM mode overlay adds achievement unlock sound (progress!) but removes achievement unlock popup :huhblob:

• Toucan
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Hey, now we can see what a game sold on EGS.....

• Steam (paid): 4,000,000
  • Xbox (paid): 750,000
  • Xbox Game Pass (subscription): 2,000,000
  • PlayStation (paid): 500,000
  • PlayStation+ (subscription): 1,300,000
  • Switch (paid): 68,000
  • WeGame (paid): 125,000
  • Epic Game Store (combo paid + give-away): 1,500,000+
... nevermind, and LOL

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland

Hey, now we can see what a game sold on EGS.....

• Steam (paid): 4,000,000
  • Xbox (paid): 750,000
  • Xbox Game Pass (subscription): 2,000,000
  • PlayStation (paid): 500,000
  • PlayStation+ (subscription): 1,300,000
  • Switch (paid): 68,000
  • WeGame (paid): 125,000
  • Epic Game Store (combo paid + give-away): 1,500,000+
... nevermind, and LOL
The fact that they had sold and sub numbers for xbox and playstation, but had to/chose to combine the epic numbers is telling. :toucan:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Out now:

Peaked tonight at 238,522 concurrent players, making it by far and away the most popular Call of Duty game released on Steam to date.
Damn, thats crazy. Still morning where I am, only going to play this evening. Weekend should get higher and Warzone 2 will be a lot higher.

Reactions: Yoshi

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

The UE4 stutterfest ruins the experience on this one. On the other hand, the dualsense implementation is pretty amazing, rumble and speaker is used to good effect. Too bad, the game looks amazing with all the bells and whistles on.
At least on SteamDeck, recent versions of ProtonGE allow general async shader compilation. While this will introduce some visual bugs (as it's not waiting for shaders to be compiled) and there might still be some stutters, since the GPU needs to compile shaders in the background, it should in principle allow for much smoother gameplay.

Reactions: Pommes and Ge0force

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
At least on SteamDeck, recent versions of ProtonGE allow general async shader compilation. While this will introduce some visual bugs (as it's not waiting for shaders to be compiled) and there might still be some stutters, since the GPU needs to compile shaders in the background, it should in principle allow for much smoother gameplay.
Reading around the steam forums and reddit, it seems like the stutters outside of shader comp/level streaming might be because of native dualsense actually. Huh.

The levels are pretty small and linear, it should be at least as smooth as Crash Bandicoot 4 pc port really.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
It seems that Star Ocean 6 is a fun janky game. Tempted to grab it but I also have PSP Star Ocean 1 on the deck waiting for me:unsure:
If you have access to Switch or PS4/5 then maybe try that version of Star Ocean 1. They added sprinting. I think I don't need to say how helpful it is in jRPG. Or you could, you know, just play the Switch version on Deck :evilblob:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Don't know how the rest of the game goes but after finishing up the first dungeon/palace in P5R....I have to say its very impressive. There are too many things to even list in terms of the # of improvements over P4G. Everything from gameplay to combat mechanics is improved. There is so many things they added. And I loved P4 but wow is P5 incredible so far. I've done my best to avoid spoilers for this game and I am really happy. Same for SMTV so hopefully that game turned out to be as ambitious when I eventually play it.

Also I been catching up on my Netflix backlog and watched the Resident Evil series that came out earlier this year. I have to say what a fucking mess that was. At times it was bordering on "so bad its good" but they really messed up on a lot of things including the time jumps back n forth. The show had some potential but that final episode was so stupid. Still tho I loved it more than those last few Alice Jovovich movies. Not surprised they cancelled it after one season lol. All the shit with Umbrella is so ridiculous at this point I don't even know if Capcom themselves would be able to create dumber stuff.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia

The Touhou mobile rhythm game shutting down today will have a standalone offline version for Steam. The new version will feature English language too! :blobeyes: Glad that it found another way to be released as the songs of the game is super good

Edit : Seems like it's more a sequel but it will have the previous available songs added too :blobeyes:

Last edited:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
both Sackboy and Uncharted don’t appear to have got the same love from Sony than the rest of the games they have released on PC. Plus Uncharted didn’t appear to get the same port treatment as the rest as well.
I think Sony thinks PC gamers are waiting for their games like:

And Sony putting them on at a high price is already fighting a losing battle.
I could easily see Sackboy being on Gamepass though as a way to get money back after a few Steam sales.

Reactions: Lashley and Cacher

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I think Sony thinks PC gamers are waiting for their games like:

Pretty much. They lowkey stealth release the games and expect people to line up for them lol

Sure, I could go and pay 50 USD with no regional pricing for old games you announced like 2 months ago with no release date OR I could go and pay the regional pricing requivalent of 4 USD on an indie game i've been looking forward to for years.

The only game they could ever get away with this shit is Bloodborne.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The only thing I dislike about Persona 5 thus far, and this a huge issue for me, is that it feels much more linear than Persona 4 felt.
This is a fair point - P5 in general is a more “guided” experience and the things you get to do are gated off to higher personal stats or story moments. P5R eases that to a degree, but it has a very long feature curve and until you’ve gone through it you do feel like there’s an invisible hand guiding you.

The game is quite open by May. By the end of July you pretty much have every Confidant and activity available to you, which opens up the day-to-day variety in what you can do.

I think the handmade dungeons also give it a sense of curation/linearity, and it isn’t helped that some dungeons have forced stopping points where you need to return to the real world to alter the ruler’s cognition.

Obviously the main story, like P4’s, has time limits for dungeons and set days where you must complete certain activities or what have you. But P5 definitely feels like it has a more delicately made structure for several in-game months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.