Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
They dropped the ball so many ways it's hard to point to one thing. Going all in on Kinect? Sure. Always Online console debacle? Big one as well. Closing a lot of their longstanding studios and letting all that talent go? Yep. Focusing on bad, expensive deals with third parties instead of growing their own stuff? Also true. Never doing anything to grow the PC market where they literally have an OS monopoly? LOL. Focusing on a couple of the biggest territories and relegating Europe, Latam, Aisa, etc. to Tier 2 and Tier 3 territories? Of course.

There are just so many things they did wrong to list. And in a way, they are still doing it, throwing money at the problem buying "global" studios: $80B (what an insane number) on investments that somehow still don't cover tons their weaknesses, just doubles down on US centric, traditional popular franchises.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Does "original" here correspond to how it was on PS4 (as the name strongly suggests), or is it some kind of low setting option they added for PC?
Yes, original is the PS4 shadow render distance setting the art was optimized for.

Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

New video on CA's issues with new leaked info from past CA employees.

The most notable bit for me personally is Three Kingdoms 2 was quietly cancelled in early 2022. If you recall they caught a lot of shit from fans by abruptly ending the DLC support for the first game and used promises of a full blown sequel to help quell the anger. And now it's gone and has been for nearly 2 years now.

I've put up with a lot of nonsense from CA over the years. Lots of really half baked releases (cough Rome 2 cough), lots of frustrating bugs that never got fixed and even carried over into future games, increasingly bad DLC prices and quality...but for me this is the straw that breaks me. I fucking LOVED three kingdoms 1 and ultimately I wasn't that upset over the DLC fuckery, it was bad but since they promised a sequel I'll always take a full blown new game over DLC. And now yet another lie by cancelling it and not even telling anyone about it. Nah...I'm done with them.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Oh, you though the layoff period was over? Think again
Most of these people are going to leave games sector permanently for more secure jobs elsewhere. It's a huge net loss of games industry.
Investors should pressure Boards/CEO and punish this crap.

Reactions: QFNS

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
And people complain that PC has no exclusives. (But for real, did Nitroplus only announce this for Steam and nothing outside PC?)
Did NitroPlus change their logo?
If I'm not wrong that's Nitro Arts logo, at least the Nitroplus logo at the end of the trailer is the same they used for Nitroplus Blasterz or at least alike nitro+ . nitroplus.

NITRO PLUS and its CG production team NITRO ARTS have announced Dolls Nest, a new title currently in development for PC (Steam). A release date was not announced.
NITRO ARTS, formerly Nitroplusarts, has previously created movies for games like Full Metal Daemon: Muramasa, SoniComi, Tokyo Necro, and Touken Ranbu ONLINE.
For Dolls Nest, NITRO ARTS is in charge of the game’s original plan and graphics development, while NITRO PLUS in charge of production.
According to NITRO PLUS president Takaki Kosaka on Twitter, this is the first genuine in-house NITRO PLUS game in a while, and the development staff is giving it everything they have.
Further details such as information about the story, characters, gameplay, and genre were not announced.
PC (steam) is the only annouced platform by now.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
As usual the gamers got worked up over nothing :steam_pig_crylaughing:
I think there was reason to think Apple might’ve shown something, given they’ve done that before. But people getting worked up over an EGS-style exclusivity blitz was always a bit silly.

Apple isn’t going to fund 100% of the development and account for all the profits of a slate of AAA games that they were keeping from other platforms. Sure, they can afford it like it’s nothing, but if they were gonna spend that sort of cash they’d sooner acquire studios, and publishers, or found their own.

Reactions: lashman and Lashley

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So Alan Wake Remastered finally started bringing some money to Remedy because after 2 years Epic recouped their costs.
If it’s taken this long, then after inflation they’re probably still technically in the red.

Epic would’ve probably been better off keeping the money in the bank.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Atari keeps buying these things that actually make perfect sense, like now buying digital Eclipse and before that Night Dive. BUT why aren't the Atari stocks I bought for cheap going up! :LOL:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
So that Apple event was a big old nothingburger for games, ey?
Same old song and dance. We go through it once every couple of years and it'll keep happening because people will forget yesterday happened and the build up to it.

Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Same old song and dance. We go through it once every couple of years and it'll keep happening because people will forget yesterday happened and the build up to it.
I think we’ve seen more movements from Apple in gaming recently than in a long while.

They showed off games running on the new Macs yesterday too. They definitely feel like they can move the needle on gaming, and are clearly investing in gaming features for their chips and OSes.

Whether they have the stomach to stick to it is another matter. Gaming is so expensive to get into, and the economies (loss or break even on devices made up by game sales) don’t line up 1:1 with Apple’s hardware strategy (obscene profit on devices).

Reactions: Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Would be curious to know where people got their Alan Wake 2.
And I'm not saying I'm that interested by the game, just curious to know where it's at these days.

From GMG.

EDIT:
Also, given the amount of patches the game is getting, it really shows to me how annoying piracy is, especially these days with games needing frequent patches. Even on EGS (via Heroic) it is still a little bit more convenient.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

Reactions: MegaApple

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
That's Mario Wonder done. Underwhelming overall. Shock full of ideas but also very, very boring. It's too easy 99% of the time and becomes too hard for me during the rest. No middle ground.
And yeah, I don't want unending dialogs in a Mario game, but it's clearly averse to put any effort on the writing front, or characterization, or anything that could make the world feel a tad interesting. Which is sad, because do we have absolutely useless dialogs on the regular.

Side note : I imagine it has been debated topics over the years, but what's the point of a life system in this game ? Nuke this shit. It's inherently stressing but you know in a corner of your brain that it is also a complete non issue.

Last edited:

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
The new Silent Hill finally asks an incredibly important question!!

WHAT IF TV SHOWS HAD SEASON PASSES

They smoke the good stuff if they think SH has wales and a large enough fandom to support this kind of monetization.
Hell, considering it's basically airing only in America they must be on crack or something

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I find that extremely impressive. Fascinating. That the whole project wasn't shitcanned on sight.
Who is this for ?

Reactions: thekeats1999

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
weird that the Jusant review embargo didn't lift until a few hours after the game launched, but glad it's getting good reviews. The demo released in June had a few rough edges, but overall it struck a nice balance of making climbing mechanically engaging while still being more relaxing and Zen than frustrating.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Wife bought me Robocop Alex Murphy edition as a really early christmass present :) Stuttering seems to have gone down significantly compared to the demo (even after the demo update). My GPU is still pegged at a 100 utilization (6800 Non XT) and hits 80 C. I have to see what the settings actually do because I don't really noticed a difference between medium, high and epic settings. Xess or FSR2 is pretty much required though otherwise frame rates hit 20 FPS. Although on medium settings it hovers around 60 with FRS2 set to quality. It seems that there is a new option available called "High Quality Lumen Reflections". Not sure if that actually does something. Game isn't really that much of a looker so I wonder what UE5 is doing to cause so much GPU useage.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
no idea who quoted me asking if cdkeys key for Little Goody Two Shoes included OST, since now seems deleted. Sorry for the late resply I was still waiting for the key.
Yes, cdkeys key included the OST. I purchased the key once the game was officially released, but free ost was a pre-purchase bonus. So if I didn't received the key until just a moment ago I suppose they considered it as "pre-purchase".
PS:
looking at store page:
To celebrate the release, we’ve extended our pre-purchase campaign until November 7th (9:59 am GMT)

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Would be curious to know where people got their Alan Wake 2.
And I'm not saying I'm that interested by the game, just curious to know where it's at these days.

I am waiting for Black Friday discounts for the Series S. Seems like a good version of the game:

No way in hell I am creating a new Epic account...

Status
Not open for further replies.