Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way I saw Spirited Away for the first time today and boy was it good. Which is why I feel Earwig and and Mary and the Witches flower feels like such let downs.

Of the Ghibli movies that I have seen they feel like well thought out fantasy worlds, which is what I like about them.

I also plan to go watch the Boy and the Heron in IMAX later this year (although I'm not sure if I should, I doubt the movie is being made for IMAX format though.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
So, betting pool on Apple engaging in Epic Games Store-esque ratfuckery come Monday?

I wonder what the "It's just another launcher" crowd will come up with this time if that comes to pass?

"It's just another few thousand dollars"
Too soon to say, it depends on how aggressive they want to be.. They might start slow and build up their library by paying for ports but after that they might go all out. They have the tremendous advantage that many people in the US already own Apple devices and buy new ones very frequently.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So, betting pool on Apple engaging in Epic Games Store-esque ratfuckery come Monday?

I wonder what the "It's just another launcher" crowd will come up with this time if that comes to pass?

I’ve been wishing for Apple to get more serious about gaming, but not like this and I fear you might be right.:/ I’ve been following what happens with Apple Arcade games. Once they are there they stay there, don’t seem to be any time frame on deals. But some don’t seem to be exclusive and they come out on steam too. BUT not the Mac port. So me personally might get a real monkeys paw here, one I get Apple serious about games but in the exact way I don’t want too.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I still can't believe that nobody even Valve didn't found fix for gamepad issues for Dragon Age Inquisition on Steam Deck. Playing with remapped K&M controls is not great and screen prompts don't match. It's like game doesn't acknowledge Deck as gamepad and apparently you need to have gamepad plugged in even on Windows for game to detect it properly.

• Sweating
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Are we expecting Apple to do exclusives?

I was of the thinking they’d see it as a priority to just get games simultaneously with other platforms.

And while they can most certainly afford it, I can’t imagine how expensive an Apple exclusive would need to be.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I still can't believe that nobody even Valve didn't found fix for gamepad issues for Dragon Age Inquisition on Steam Deck. Playing with remapped K&M controls is not great and screen prompts don't match. It's like game doesn't acknowledge Deck as gamepad and apparently you need to have gamepad plugged in even on Windows for game to detect it properly.
Just gave it a try, and on Windows it detects a bluetooth controller (8BitDo Pro 2) perfectly. Just need to switch the controls to using a Gamepad manually. It won't auto-detect.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
I also plan to go watch the Boy and the Heron in IMAX later this year (although I'm not sure if I should, I doubt the movie is being made for IMAX format though.
Go see it anyway! It's amazing. I'll watch it again once it has a public release

Reactions: PC-tan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

I was of the thinking they’d see it as a priority to just get games simultaneously with other platforms.

And while they can most certainly afford it, I can’t imagine how expensive an Apple exclusive would need to be.
They do some exclusivity stuff on Apple Arcade, like some games are only on there. But Im not sure how it exactly looks like, since some games do come out on steam for example at the same time but sometimes much later, and rarely not at all. It seem to be a lot up to the dev/pub just how they do it and sometimes it seems its just that dev and pub do different things, like a case where the dev took care of steam version and pub of the Mac version and that's why steam didn't get the Mac port.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
They do some exclusivity stuff on Apple Arcade, like some games are only on there. But Im not sure how it exactly looks like, since some games do come out on steam for example at the same time but sometimes much later, and rarely not at all. It seem to be a lot up to the dev/pub just how they do it and sometimes it seems its just that dev and pub do different things, like a case where the dev took care of steam version and pub of the Mac version and that's why steam didn't get the Mac port.
I don’t think Apple Arcade has been terribly successful for them. Not a failure, but far from successful either. I think it being part of the One subscription keeps it alive.

So I don’t think the Apple Arcade model is the way Apple is going to go with their AAA push. I expect some Mac exclusives, as in, they don’t release the Mac version on other stores. But I don’t see evidence of them keeping games from PC, PS, Xbox or Switch any time soon.

Apple has never taken gaming seriously enough to do that. To run a slate of exclusives, your platform needs to be accessible in some way. Apple’s essentially gonna have to pay the entire development budget of their exclusives because there’s no evidence they’ll sell in the volumes the AAAs expect.

Last edited:
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Not really, if those are exclusive they would be MAC versions, PC versions wouldn't be affected per say. but people love to loose their minds for no reason.

Mac versions will go to Mac Store, yes, and my guess is that there will be some sort of exclusivity for some time, but that's about it? I guess it all depends on what kind of deal they have with mac versions.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Not really, if those are exclusive they would be MAC versions, PC versions wouldn't be affected per say. but people love to loose their minds for no reason.

Mac versions will go to Mac Store, yes, and my guess is that there will be some sort of exclusivity for some time, but that's about it? I guess it all depends on what kind of deal they have with mac versions.
This is pretty much what I’m thinking. Yeah, it kinda sucks for Steam users on Apple devices, but Valve have basically abandoned Mac at this point so I think we all saw this coming.

Apple are gonna pay for Apple ecosystem versions of games shipping day and date with other platforms. And I think that’d be a compelling prospect for some people.

If they released a sub-$500 Apple TV that could run the kinds of games PS5 and Xbox S|X could, they’d actually be a legitimate competitor in that space.

Valve and Nintendo have already seen the benefits of the device ecosystem vertical integration in gaming. Apple reaps the rewards of it to great effect outside of gaming.

Just imagine you buy a game for your Apple TV console. And it works on your Mac, your iPad and your iPhone? Saves move seamlessly, and It Just Works.

Those of us with a Steam Deck and Switch know how good this is. But PC gaming has a mental/emotional barrier and the Switch just doesn’t play everything. Apple could make a move on into the console space here, and the devices people already have are their Trojan horse.

For Apple to do big, proper exclusives that people lose their mind over, the money they’d need to spend is so much that it’d make more sense for them to buy a publisher and set up their own game studios.

I think getting games day and date is probably a big deal for Apple at this point.

Reactions: thekeats1999
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Pretty much this.

I think Valve could end up offering support for Mac via a new proton layer (like they do with Linux) if they end up seeing some potential there, but as you mentioned, the vertical integration is what is pushing both Valve and Nintendo and Apple too outside game until recently.

I still think there's hope for Steam on Mac, but Valve needs to see the potential, otherwise, they wont be there.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I will believe it when I see it. Apple has never taken gaming seriously enough and always shit the bed at one point or another.
Zero faith in them turning into a ‘player’ in the field.

Would be (very relatively) pleasantly surprised to see them change.

Reactions: Ascheroth

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The answer was in the rest of the sentence. I can get a Mac mini for the price of a PC GPU alone, and I do prefer to do daily life and productivity on Macs.
Okay, well, you are missing out on the biggst video game library without a PC.

Dec 5, 2018
While Apple is not google, google was paying insane amount of money for ports and it didn't seem to do much (and the barrier of entry was lower).

But the thing that would be a real problem is Apple "obsession" to kill compatibility with older apps. I wouldn't be surprised if when they release a new version of Metal they end up making older games not work. (ofc this is based on precedent, who knows what would happen in that case).

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I love how chaotic the fights in Control can get. With the destructible environments there's always so much shit flying around. Debris, particles, effects, it's awesome.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I do still have a steam deck and a Xbox, I’m not lacking in games to play. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to be able to play games on my Mac too.
Well the Xbox is missing out out on a ton of games in general (due to it's lack of worldwide marketshare) even though the Xbox team has done progress in that area and I think it's gonna get worse with time due to the weaker Series S. The Steam Deck is great, but mainly for indies and AA games and perhaps certain AAA games.

I am fortunate enough to have a PS5, Switch and PC (well my PC is getting really old, but I do have money for a new one, but Im trying to wait for the RTX 5000 series).

Reactions: Le Pertti

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think people are worried about another EGS thing going on.

I don’t see Apple going that far, and if they do I think they’re more interested in gunning for the consoles than PC. You take an exclusive away from PC and people wait, so I don’t think Apple will see much traction there. But the console market could be more readily disrupted by Apple making moves there.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
There is also the chance the Apple event is just going to be a bunch of already announced games getting a Mac release day 1, as well as a stream of ports of older titles. No exclusives involved

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Pretty much this.

I think Valve could end up offering support for Mac via a new proton layer (like they do with Linux) if they end up seeing some potential there, but as you mentioned, the vertical integration is what is pushing both Valve and Nintendo and Apple too outside game until recently.

I still think there's hope for Steam on Mac, but Valve needs to see the potential, otherwise, they wont be there.
Valve killed Counter-Strike 2 support on Mac. I wouldn't count on them being stewards of Apple gaming anytime soon.

Maybe Apple will announce that they bought Valve.
Tim Sweeney's head would explode.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
One thing I do on the deck as a last resort when I encounter this issue and can't get the controller to function normally, is to to remap the keyboard commands in-game in a way that makes the prompts less confusing i.e. assigning the letters a,b,x,y on the keyboard to the functions that I would later remap to a,b,x,y buttons on the deck via Steam Input. I'd do this for all the buttons on the deck controller and try to find a compromise on the buttons that can't be mirrored on the keyboard's keys 1 to 1. I recently had to do this for One Piece Unlimited World Red since the camera just keeps spinning when choosing the "controller" to control the game. Another game that I encountered this issue with is the first Psychonauts as well. It means that I miss out on analog movement sadly but at least the game is playable on the deck this way!

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Finished Evil West today and i really liked every moment spent in it. Game has it's issues, if i would need to sum those issues into one word it would be fluidity. From level design to combat game needs to flow better. They did try to do something with combat but it's not there yet. As others said balancing is also bit of an issue in last few levels. On normal it's not hard it is just annoying how much time you nee to spend in some of those arenas. I liked story no matter how simple it was and i really liked lore. Collectibles are basically sh*t but you need to explore levels to collect money to get upgrades.

Overall solid 7.5/10 game that has a lot of potential if Flying Wild Hog gets chance to make sequel and improves all these things we mentioned.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Valve killed Counter-Strike 2 support on Mac. I wouldn't count on them being stewards of Apple gaming anytime soon.
That's why I said things should change and Valve needs to see some potential :p

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
think Valve could end up offering support for Mac via a new proton layer (like they do with Linux)
This WAS what proton was, but it was later swapped to Linux only removing any and all macOS code/references
That ship has sailed and has sunk.

• Toucan
Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This WAS what proton was, but it was later swapped to Linux only removing any and all macOS code/references
That ship has sailed and has sunk.

It wasn't swapped to Linux, Linux was always the star of the show, and macOS support hinged on the ill-fated moltenVK project which Valve later abandoned, as it was too much work to make it work. Unless Apple start supporting vulkan, I don't see them ever being serious about gaming support.

Reactions: QFNS

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Apple not supporting Vulkan is either dumb or evil. These are the only real options.

They could easily (compared to their overall software expenditure) do it, and make it much easier to target Apple platforms with multi-platform games and software. So not doing so is dumb, unless they have some other reason.
Now I don't think Apple is a dumb company. What I believe is that they see the fact that e.g. commercial mobile game developers basically have to write an Apple-targeted version and spend effort on their proprietary API as a competitive advantage overall, since making porting harder can be seen as an advantage if you are the market leader (Sony tried to go too far with this with PS3, but might still have succeeded if it had been more successful on the market).

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
It wasn't swapped to Linux, Linux was always the star of the show, and macOS support hinged on the ill-fated moltenVK project which Valve later abandoned, as it was too much work to make it work. Unless Apple start supporting vulkan, I don't see them ever being serious about gaming support.
how is that any different from what I said and how that does change in any capacity the fact that is 100% dead?
If you mean that the blame is on apple or whatever sure, but valve started the project including macOS and later dropped it for valid reasons, so yeah it was linux + macos and swapped to linux only later for valid reason so this weird semantics stuff is ??????

I would also say they were silly to include macOS in the first place, Linux was (and still is) way more than enough work.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think the principle of Valve supporting Apple’s hardware in the same way they support Linux is foolish anyway. Valve are basically doing the hard work for Apple if they do that.

We have the game porting toolkit now anyway. If Apple wants, they could roll it into Rosetta and enable support for a whole host of Windows games on macOS. They won’t, because they want their 30%. If the entire PC back catalogue worked on macOS, games wouldn’t get ported and Steam would be the default gaming client on Apple’s own platform.

This would of course be better for users, but alas.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
how is that any different from what I said and how that does change in any capacity the fact that is 100% dead?
If you mean that the blame is on apple or whatever sure, but valve started the project including macOS and later dropped it for valid reasons, so yeah it was linux + macos and swapped to linux only later for valid reason so this weird semantics stuff is ??????

I would also say they were silly to include macOS in the first place, Linux was (and still is) way more than enough work.
When you wrote "swapped to Linux only", I read that as meaning that Proton was primarily targeting macOS, and that it swapped targets to Linux. If that's not what you meant ,then I misread you.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
When you wrote "swapped to Linux only", I read that as meaning that Proton was primarily targeting macOS, and that it swapped targets to Linux. If that's not what you meant ,then I misread you.
Oh lol no, I meant the text description not the project xD
I guess ‘edited’ would be a better word xD

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Alan Wake 2 is excellent. Even without (hardware) RT it looks spectacular. Had I bought it, I'd have been happy to have paid however much it costs.

Anyway... 'bout 2-3 years ago I posted on here that I had stopped playing Return of the Obra Dinn because it didn't click for me (I didn't have a sound argument as to why... it just didn't). And y'all jumped on me basically telling me I was a doofus. Well, you were right. I bought it again, I perservered and I liked it quite a bit! ...even though I still maintain that the beginning is a bit meh (I started enjoying the game once I had access to all pages).

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Alan Wake 2 is excellent. Even without (hardware) RT it looks spectacular. Had I bought it, I'd have been happy to have paid however much it costs.

Anyway... 'bout 2-3 years ago I posted on here that I had stopped playing Return of the Obra Dinn because it didn't click for me (I didn't have a sound argument as to why... it just didn't). And y'all jumped on me basically telling me I was a doofus. Well, you were right. I bought it again, I perservered and I liked it quite a bit! ...even though I still maintain that the beginning is a bit meh (I started enjoying the game once I had access to all pages).
I finished Obra Dinn these last few days and thought it was amazing from start to finish. The first "shot" in the first memory you visit is a stroke of genius and the way it gradually opens up new chapters was very well done in order not to overwhelm the player. It's up there on the my personal list of best games I've ever played tbh, possibly top 5.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I finished Obra Dinn these last few days and thought it was amazing from start to finish. The first "shot" in the first memory you visit is a stroke of genius and the way it gradually opens up new chapters was very well done in order not to overwhelm the player. It's up there on the my personal list of best games I've ever played tbh, possibly top 5.
The reason why I don't like the beginning is that I kept thinking whether I was wasting my time looking for clues in the current memory or not... Once everything was opened up, I felt I could really begin the detective work and at that point I thought it was great.

With that said, have you tried the case of the golden idol? Artistically inferior (although I really like the deliberately "ugly" retro aesthetic), but a better detective game. Well, I don't know if I can really say it's better... I did enjoy it more. Maybe because it's a bit more varied and a tad less opaque? Not that I had to look stuff up to finish Obra Dinn, but I don't think I enjoyed the process of having to make assumptions for a couple of the tier-3 characters.

• Comfy
Status
Not open for further replies.