Community MetaSteam | October 2023 - Holy moly Snake, is that Tony Hawk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The reason why I don't like the beginning is that I kept thinking whether I was wasting my time looking for clues in the current memory or not... Once everything was opened up, I felt I could really begin the detective work and at that point I thought it was great.

With that said, have you tried the case of the golden idol? Artistically inferior (although I really like the deliberately "ugly" retro aesthetic), but a better detective game. Well, I don't know if I can really say it's better... I did enjoy it more. Maybe because it's a bit more varied and a tad less opaque? Not that I had to look stuff up to finish Obra Dinn, but I don't think I enjoyed the process of having to make assumptions for a couple of the tier-3 characters.
I literally added that game to my wishlist this afternoon :smiling-eyes: Hoping for a good deal in the next sale.
I thought about asking here for recommendations of detective games. I played and enjoyed Unheard and Paradise Killer and have Shadows of Doubt wishlisted. Are there any more games of this genre you'd recommend?

• Clean Seal
Reactions: lashman

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I literally added that game to my wishlist this afternoon :smiling-eyes: Hoping for a good deal in the next sale.
I thought about asking here for recommendations of detective games. I played and enjoyed Unheard and Paradise Killer and have Shadows of Doubt wishlisted. Are there any more games of this genre you'd recommend?
I've heard of unheard (Goofy's laugh), but not the other two.

Actually I have your exact same question! I really enjoy puzzle games in which you actually have to figure things out yourself... And not just "press Y to Sherlock". This is the reason why I'm such a fan of Cyan's games like Riven or Obduction. Nothing is spelled out, but if you pay attention carefully, everything can be deduced rationally. It's also the same reason why I loved the Witness and Tunic so much... The only two games in which I had that very unique eureka moment that came basically out of nowhere (again without the devs explicitly having to point things out).

So, no... I'm not aware of any other game like the case of the golden idol or return of the Obra Dinn (which is exactly the reason why I gave it a second go...).

Oh, it just came to me. But there's an indie game in which the goal is to learn a foreign language.

Looks through wishlist

It's not Chants of Sennar, although it might be up our respective alleys...
There it is. Heaven's vault.

It looks interesting and I'm sure some day I'll pull the trigger. Right now I have a bit too many games to play.

Oh and I saw that many people who've enjoyed Obra Dinn and the golden idol, recommend Outer Wilds (I didn't like it all that much).

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It's not Chants of Sennar, although it might be up our respective alleys...
There it is. Heaven's vault.

It looks interesting and I'm sure some day I'll pull the trigger. Right now I have a bit too many games to play.

Oh and I saw that many people who've enjoyed Obra Dinn and the golden idol, recommend Outer Wilds (I didn't like it all that much).
This game is great, one of the best games inkle has ever made in my opinion. It basically tries to recreate the thrill of exploring the story of an ancient, lost civilisation where your only method of getting new info are new artefacts with writing on them. Here my thoughts after finishing it last year: Reviews - Rate the game you finished/retired

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
This game is great, one of the best games inkle has ever made in my opinion. It basically tries to recreate the thrill of exploring the story of an ancient, lost civilisation where your only method of getting new info are new artefacts with writing on them. Here my thoughts after finishing it last year: Reviews - Rate the game you finished/retired
I read your review. Thanks! I'll definitely get it during the next sale.

Reactions: C-Dub and Mivey

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I've never played the 5 night at freddy games but after seeing the new movie....that was a bad waste of time. Pretty sure I recently watched a Nic Cage movie that was the same exact thing and felt much more like a video game movie since Cage was completely silent in the film. I guess it was a rip off before the official thing.

Even the bad Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies were much better than this.

People must really like these little quirky run n hide horror games because they review well and movie did good numbers.

Also there is nothing scary about the animatronics. Makes you wanna laugh more than anything when you see them stumble around in the dark :shrugblob:

Reactions: thekeats1999

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I've never played the 5 night at freddy games but after seeing the new movie....that was a bad waste of time. Pretty sure I recently watched a Nic Cage movie that was the same exact thing and felt much more like a video game movie since Cage was completely silent in the film. I guess it was a rip off before the official thing.

Even the bad Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies were much better than this.

People must really like these little quirky run n hide horror games because they review well and movie did good numbers.

Also there is nothing scary about the animatronics. Makes you wanna laugh more than anything when you see them stumble around in the dark :shrugblob:
The games are a big, big hit with younger kids, right? So I imagine the film not being overly scary is actually helpful, don't want to frighten your core audience away. And there is always a large audience for kid focused stuff. I'm sure parents are happy to have a couple hours of peace where the kids just stare at film screen.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The games are a big, big hit with younger kids, right? So I imagine the film not being overly scary is actually helpful, don't want to frighten your core audience away. And there is always a large audience for kid focused stuff. I'm sure parents are happy to have a couple hours of peace where the kids just stare at film screen.
There was a bunch of messed up themes in the film so I wouldn't call it kid-friendly tbh. But it all fell apart regardless. It was safe and meh. boring etc.

Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Had a shitty day at work, so I was going to buy some videogames to feel better. Then I realized that these games will inevitably sit in the backlog for the next few years.

I remember when I was a kid, I saved up pocket money for months so I could finally buy a game and played the hell out of it. Now games are more like numbers that I add into the pile. We have so many great games in our hand yet I don't treasure them like I did.

I will probably watch a good movie and have a drink for the night instead, and think about the videogames I own. They should be meant to be played rather than rot inside that pile of shame.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Im thinking about getting a 8bit controller after all to have on my Mac, mostly for game dev. It's the more expensive switch buttoned one that one should get right?
If you just want one for game dev then maybe a cheaper one would suffice too? Ultimate C for example.

Though to be honest I have no idea what the connection situation is on Mac. That's to say, are bluetooth controllers the only option for example.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
If you just want one for game dev then maybe a cheaper one would suffice too? Ultimate C for example.

Though to be honest I have no idea what the connection situation is on Mac. That's to say, are bluetooth controllers the only option for example.
Yeah you might be right, could be a much better option considering it so much cheaper. but why considered the fancy one, was so I could have it for a long time for regular gaming too.:)

• Comfy
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The 8BitDo Ultimate (Switch version) can be paired to two devices simultaneously.

You can plug the dongle into one device (for example, a docked Steam Deck) and then pair the Bluetooth to a Mac, PC or iPad.

To change device you just flip the switch on the back between 2.4ghz and BT.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
You can buy button replacements from 8BitDo’s website to give it the Xbox layout, and changing them is about 3/10 difficulty.

The remapping software handles the rest.
thanks for the reminder. Been meaning to switch over the buttons from the SNES style for a while.

now I just need to figure out how to get it to recognise the bumpers in Steam

Reactions: C-Dub

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I found the 8bitdo Neo Geo controller on sale ($20), so I had to grab it. I've never used that clicky d-pad before, but I've always wanted to try it. I hope it's good for Tropical Freeze and these 5 star Mario levels. :sweaty-blob:

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
After finishing a game I usually go back after while to try and do the 'harder' stuff. I use single player cheats, and will continue to do so.
12 is Better Than 6 - 50K63-275LJ-XKALP

Last edited:
Reactions: thekeats1999

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
With the exception of FF Rebirth, Im not seeing any day1 games the next few months. Maybe if a suprise indie gem pops up.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Seeing the PS/Xbox marketshare in France being 90/10 makes me think how on earth did Xbox fuck so much up in Europe.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Too many fuckin games AUGHTHF.
AaaAA Remastered had a demo release and I completely missed it! The original game was my childhood!

Seeing the PS/Xbox marketshare in France being 90/10 makes me think how on earth did Xbox fuck so much up in Europe.
The same way they fucked up on PC. Because they just kinda sat on their hands and acted confused when nobody wanted the product they weren't putting work into.

• This!
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Xbox dying can be pretty much explained by one single thing: Kinect.
They dropped everything to invest into an obvious failure, and it's not like it was a ridiculous gamble, it was much more simple: they completely misread the market, correctly identified casual gaming as the thing to do, but went to do it the wrong way.

It will definitely be a case study in the future.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Xbox dying can be pretty much explained by one single thing: Kinect.
They dropped everything to invest into an obvious failure, and it's not like it was a ridiculous gamble, it was much more simple: they completely misread the market, correctly identified casual gaming as the thing to do, but went to do it the wrong way.

It will definitely be a case study in the future.
Kinect was quite successful on 360, selling a lot for a peripheral. But the concept didn’t really outlive that system.

When they tried to force it on Xbox One, with all the privacy and cost implications that had, not to mention they were pitching it at the core audience who actively hated it, the whole thing imploded.

But I don’t think it was just Kinect. The entire Xbox One project was a disaster. Poor leadership, bad technology, anti-consumer practices all kind of just snowballed.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yeah what C-Dub said.

OG Kinect was a massive money printer for Microsoft, but it came almost at the turn of the generation, and the normies aren’t that willing to let go and upgrade their perfectly working stuff.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
nothing gonna change, even Phil knows that

that interview was pretty good. This is the key point:

We lost the worst generation to lose in the Xbox One generation, where everybody built their digital library of games. So when you go and you’re building on Xbox, we want our Xbox community to feel awesome, but this idea that if we just focused more on great games on our console that somehow we’re going to win the console race, I think doesn’t really lay to the reality of most people."
and this can be extrapolated to Steam - EGS PC situation and why Epic has nothing to do on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.