Community MetaSteam | October - The size of this adventure is spooky

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Haven't played it and Danganronpa V3 yet, so honestly I don't know... The only thing that I am aware of is that Shinigami is popular among Japanese fans lol.
OK... now I'm actually curious as to why that is. :thinking-face:

Also... V3 is an extremely polarizing game, its likely you'll either love it or hate it lol.

Did not have access to the English build on PC before today, but what I played on Switch last year was good with great music and nice visuals (some gameplay bits are annoying) but needed a director's cut style change/enhanced release rather than just a complete bundle. It definitely looks and runs massively better with the Plus release given the platforms. I played a few hours on PS5 and Xbox but decided to wait to see how it feels on Deck at launch before going into it fully. Plus busy month etc.
That GIF on the Steam page with the transforming floor looked sick, the trippiness is part of the appeal I guess!
Also, goddamn - you've quadruple dipped on NSW, Xbox, PS5 and Steam?! :flushed-face:

It's awful, a disappointment on any level coming off Danganronpa.
Ah... that kind of violent reaction can't be good. :sweaty-blob: Is it the gameplay, the story, or both?

I can roll with mid, but if its awful, then its tough to justify this month - I'm staring down the barrel of Dragon Age Veilguard and a Metaphor Re: Fantazio double dip.:neutral-face:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

Also... V3 is an extremely polarizing game, its likely you'll either love it or hate it lol.

That GIF on the Steam page with the transforming floor looked sick, the trippiness is part of the appeal I guess!
Also, goddamn - you've quadruple dipped on NSW, Xbox, PS5 and Steam?! :flushed-face:

Ah... that kind of violent reaction can't be good. :sweaty-blob: Is it the gameplay, the story, or both?

I can roll with mid, but if its awful, then its tough to justify this month - I'm staring down the barrel of Dragon Age Veilguard and a Metaphor Re: Fantazio double dip.:neutral-face:
The story is the most important part.
All the murder cases are random people being murdered, so there just isn't the same emotional impact and most of the twists are predictable and bad.

The gameplay is largely identicial Danganronpa, but they somehow managed to make a lot of things worse in the details + they add a ton of pointless traversal to the small open world.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The only game I'm buying this month is Dragon Age: Veilguard. Hopefully it marks a return to greatness for Bioware, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks. I'm cautiously optimistic, though I'm disappointed in several of the choices the developers made. Still, it's Dragon Age and I've been waiting 10 years now.

This means I'm skipping Life is Strange: Double Exposure, which would normally be unthinkable for me, but I'm skeptical of how it will turn out.

Deck Nine is totally fine, but I've enjoyed their attempts at doing Life is Strange less than Don't Nod's. I'm also annoyed that they decided to make a sequel to the original LiS rather than continue the anthology format. I hate unnecessary sequels and Life is Strange 1 is a complete story and even lets people have their fan-servicey happy ending if they want it. This may not be fair, but Double Exposure feels like a cheap attempt to cash in rather than do something new.

They are also being quite scummy by charging a frankly ridiculous amount of money for 2 weeks of early access to a game that is all about the story, and locking exclusive story content behind it as well. I will definitely be playing it at some point because it is one of my favorite series, but I won't be paying full price for it. Hopefully Veilguard will keep me busy until it goes on sale!

The real Life is Strange sequel I'm looking forward to is

Last edited:

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
1M in a month is so bad for Outlaws i have trouble believing it.

As for this month, i really liked the demo for Victory Heat Rally and it releases in 2 days so i know what i'll be playing.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I started Bloomtown, indie mix of persona with stranger things.
And it’s good, more than good, but not a home run.

There is too much persona mechanics, carbon copy, for one. To the detriment of the game identity. Pacing is shit, and while it’s not that talkative I would put it in the sad ‘we don‘t want you to play’ indie category.
And the auto save needs to die a painful death in a fire. It’s at best dubiously condescending toward the player and leads to unfortunate loss of time.

Writing wise it’s good and there are surprisingly dark elements, but I fear the dev made the characters far too young for the dark undertones to mix well. Sorta like water and oil. They needed to be a tad older or the dark darker.

Now it’s still really good looking, the combat music spits fire and the characters are relatively charming. I will continue playing. At least until the next 30 minutes of play loss.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
It seems odd that a game that sold 800k copies in the first couple of days only managed to sell another 200k in the next 4 weeks.
Ubisoft announcing they are no longer offering early access to their games moving forward makes me imagine it backfired tremendously this time. The game had scathing word of mouth the second it was out for premium edition owners, I don't think it's that unlikely that people pulled their preorders and sales to have cratered after the initial launch burst.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I started Bloomtown, indie mix of persona with stranger things.
And it’s good, more than good, but not a home run.

There is too much persona mechanics, carbon copy, for one. To the detriment of the game identity. Pacing is shit, and while it’s not that talkative I would put it in the sad ‘we don‘t want you to play’ indie category.
And the auto save needs to die a painful death in a fire. It’s at best dubiously condescending toward the player and leads to unfortunate loss of time.

Writing wise it’s good and there are surprisingly dark elements, but I fear the dev made the characters far too young for the dark undertones to mix well. Sorta like water and oil. They needed to be a tad older or the dark darker.

Now it’s still really good looking, the combat music spits fire and the characters are relatively charming. I will continue playing. At least until the next 30 minutes of play loss.
This one has been on my radar for a while now, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you are done! The pixel art is lovely, if nothing else!

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

edin

Coffee, Controllers, etc
Sep 30, 2024

For Rain Code Plus it is review codes, but a few games this year I've bought 2-3 versions of. The patch went live so I'm updating it on my Steam Deck.

BaoLunia

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Happy spooky month!!

Thank you for the new thread Mor!

Been trying to buy less games both due to time and money, but managed to nab Metaphor during a deep discount on GMG. Hope the performance improves on deck though as that is the only place I can realistically play it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I did this too when I first played Frostpunk. Tried it out on game pass. My eyes were wide for hours. Then I shut the game off. I opened Steam and bought it immediately without a second thought and kept playing it.

I burned out so hard on that game, I couldn't convinced myself to play the expansion over a year later. I don't play city builders, but FP devoured my entire being for a while. But I left it behind, forgotten. Frozen alongside the village children ice cubes.
Just enable Child labor and the little suckers will thaw.

• Evil
Reactions: einstellung

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
So much enticing stuff imminent but my schedule is absolutely booked, atm.

Got a close eye on Metaphor and the new Starfield DLC. And that's not even counting smaller stuff like Streets of Rogue 2, Mouthwashing, etc.

Pretty smitten with Anno 1800 atm. Man, what a dense & polished production.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
hopefully it's just that 🤞
if it was a DMCA strike, then the Github page would say so. There have been such strikes for people trying to host forks of Yuzu, and they get hit pretty quickly and Github does not simply show a 404.

I suspect someone hacked their account and deleted the account and repo.

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
guess i'm buying Dome Keeper

always nice when a game that's been on my wishlist forever that i've just never quite felt like actually getting shows up in one of those bundles

it motivates me to actually buy it because I also get a bunch of other stuff with it and it lets me pretend i'm ever gonna play Jusant or whatever when knowing me i'll probably never even play Dome Keeper let alone the other stuff

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
How come they do that so effortlessly now? Surely they've wanted to kill emus since the GBA or earlier and every other system was also emulated & hacked early on, why are they so efficient now? Surely they tried before too, they had a big crack down on rom sites year past as well, so what changed since then? I imagine how openly they're monetised nowadays is a factor, though donations and what not aren't exactly a new thing either so yeah, what else is different?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
How come they do that so effortlessly now? Surely they've wanted to kill emus since the GBA or earlier and every other system was also emulated & hacked early on, why are they so efficient now? Surely they tried before too, they had a big crack down on rom sites year past as well, so what changed since then? I imagine how openly they're monetised nowadays is a factor, though donations and what not aren't exactly a new thing either so yeah, what else is different?
We live in a cyberpunk present, where corporations can and do fuck up your life effortlessly.

• This!
Reactions: Kyougar and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The Ryujinx source code and its binary builds are already archived, so business as usual, I guess.
Well, presumably they will go after anyone working on it and continuing development, so I'm not so sure. It seems Nintendo is declaring open season on anyone wanting to write emulators or talk about emulating its games.

• Disapproval
Reactions: lashman