Community MetaSteam | October - The size of this adventure is spooky

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Just guessing but the biggest reason Nintendo is gonna do everything in its power to crack down on emulation is because of the Switch 2.

The backwards compatibility with that platform means they want all the old Switch games from the past 7 years to have good sales legs for the next 7 years. And new games too ofc.

They are terrified at the idea of people easily emulating their games on low end hardware and other handhelds. It doesn't take much these days and PC/CPU tech is only getting better. They know the Switch 2 will be dissected in a matter of weeks after release and PC gamers are gonna go crazy with it. This is just them trying to burn the floor underneath everyone's feet before it gets ugly for them.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com

Ended up pulling the trigger on Rain Code Plus, along with Metaphor and Dragon Age - that's my October Steam stuff sorted then (I'm not into horror anyway, so I can skip the Halloween sale).

They're implementing 12% VAT on all digital sales purchases where I live (PH) within the month, so I ended up buying all this earlier than I'd like to sneak under the tax line. :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

But hey... Metaphor and Veilguard! LFG!!

edin

Coffee, Controllers, etc
Sep 30, 2024

Ended up pulling the trigger on Rain Code Plus, along with Metaphor and Dragon Age - that's my October Steam stuff sorted then (I'm not into horror anyway, so I can skip the Halloween sale).

They're implementing 12% VAT on all digital sales purchases where I live (PH) within the month, so I ended up buying all this earlier than I'd like to sneak under the tax line. :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

But hey... Metaphor and Veilguard! LFG!!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
OOOOOOOOF that's gonna be awful, there are thousands of indiegames that never bothered to go through the boards...
Maybe open up a bank account in some neighbouring country and tell Steam you are Austrian, Dutch or something. I think Steam only applies regional restriction based on your registered country.
On the plus side, Steam would no longer think you are German.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
But isn't there an EU rule that says that one EU country has to be able to buy goods from another EU country? How does that work with the German ban?
I would guess local country rules can over-rule EU rules. Rating systems are a protection system so probably take precedent over other rules. However take with a pinch of salt, as I am no legal expert.

Been playing Space Marine II recently. Lot of fun, however my biggest issue with it, is that it is more a remake of the first Space Marine. There is a bif threat you are there to take care of, but oops there is a second faction pulling the strings in the background and oh dear it's the great Enemy again, Chaos. However it looks pretty and runs extremely well, especially considering what can be going on during gameplay.

However even with the Tyranids looking like massive swarms it somehow feels smaller than the first. I just can't quite put my finger on it. Another issue I have is that the game is kind of split in two. So there is the main story mode (which can be played as 3 player co-op) and a seperate 3 player co-0p mode (which can't be played solo). The co-op mode runs parallel to the story mode, with some important fights hidden in co-op mode. Just seems an odd story decision to make.

Not had a chance to try the multiplayer modes yet.

All in all it has been a great game and I am looking forward to where the story takes me, but I would still say that it is too expensive for what it is. Wait for a 20% discount (unless you really like 40K).

BTW, if you are new to 40K, here are a couple of videos to help out:-

Dec 5, 2018
But isn't there an EU rule that says that one EU country has to be able to buy goods from another EU country? How does that work with the German ban?
IIRC A country can ban the sale of a product, that doesn't stop you from buying it in another country (that is of course easier with retail products, and might be a bit harder with the way steam works but that's another story).

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Epic lowering UE fee if you Launch UE game simultaneously on Epic Store as on other stores kinda says a lot XD
It sounds good on paper, but the biggest companies already have custom contracts and indies aren't making enough for it to make a material difference. It's meant to get your Palworlds that blow up out of nowhere on EGS.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
If only it was so simple to release a game on the EGS. Features automatically implemented by Steam need to be reinplemented in your own way for the EGS version, thus the EGS .exe being different. But a different .exe means also a different codebase, and so additional QA, with risks of additional bugs, aka more money spent on the game. And that's without talking about how multiplayer games on the EGS are forced to use EOS, and we saw how much Steam users love EOS
Is this worth an -1.5% on the rates? Time will tell spoilers no it won't

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
It sounds good on paper, but the biggest companies already have custom contracts and indies aren't making enough for it to make a material difference. It's meant to get your Palworlds that blow up out of nowhere on EGS.
Which wouldn't have the effect they think it would because the explosion is likely going to happen on the other place rather than on EGS given the % split between both platforms, so yeah, they will have it but that won't likely convert on real organic popularity explosion there.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I finished Animal Well but I'm still missing some eggs so I decided to keep searching for the ones I missed and
I cant believe how many secrets are in this game! Now I'm wondering if I really did beat it

Reactions: lashman

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Which wouldn't have the effect they think it would because the explosion is likely going to happen on the other place rather than on EGS given the % split between both platforms, so yeah, they will have it but that won't likely convert on real organic popularity explosion there.
They likely just dont want to get completely left behind on content, which considering how things are going is a real possibility.

This new offer is also a (weak) play to help boost takeup of their fledgling Android app store, given the terms:

"Epic clarified that the royalty rate will revert to 5% if you offer your Unreal Engine game on another PC or Android store "and do not offer it on the Epic Games Store for the corresponding platform."

Stallion Free

I <3 Achievements
Apr 17, 2019
Maryland, USA
steamcommunity.com
I'm digging Gylt. I am glad it was saved from the Google void. Wavetale was really solid too.
Finished Gylt in a single day. Overall a 3/5 but very close to a 4/5. Worth picking up on a sale if you dig adventure game with horror themes and light stealth mechanics. It looks nice, though you can see where they had budget limitations (the comic book cutscenes feel very jarring). Game length felt perfect in the 5-6 hour range.

Definitely going to pick up Song of Nunu from them at some point down the line and I need to replay Rime to get 100% achievements there.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Absolute, pure, unfiltered Cinema

"But his has nothing to do with videogames"

Shut up nerd
I'm watching it next week, I just went to saw Howls Moving Castle yesterday. I saw it for the first time in theaters last year.

I watched the sub last year and the dub this year, the dub was amazing. So people that say sub> dub. Screw you.

I'm watching the first Gundam movie later today

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Japan’s PC gaming industry continues to grow.

Just before Tokyo Game Show 2024 started last week, Japan’s Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA) shared data showing how rapidly the sector in this country has been expanding.

According to CESA, Japan’s PC gaming market almost tripled in size from 2019 to 2023, reaching US$1.6B last year.
CESA also says that the PC accounted for 13% of the size of Japan’s gaming market overall in 2023 (US$12.7B) vs just 5% in 2019 (when the overall market was at US$10.4B).

What’s interesting further is that the specific market share for consoles has been staying solid at around 20% since 2019, mainly due to the incredible success of the Nintendo Switch in Japan.
I wouldn't be surprised if PC gaming is bigger than Playstation in Japan now. You have to imagine Nintendo makes up a big chunk of that 20% of the console market.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I'll put my money that the Steam Deck helped greatly in this endeavor lol.
Nah, that was already the case before the Deck arrived, Valve didn't prioritize launching it in Japan for no reason.

Pandemic boom + more support from traditional publishers, specially japanese ones + Vtubers + Sony choking on its own smegma in the region are the real winners here.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Nah, that was already the case before the Deck arrived, Valve didn't prioritize launching it in Japan for no reason.

Pandemic boom + more support from traditional publishers, specially japanese ones + Vtubers + Sony choking on its own smegma in the region are the real winners here.
"Choking on its own smegma" Isn't something I thought I'd read today LMAO

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Shutout to the doujin devs and Falcom for making Windows games for the japanese audience since the 90s.
Falcom gave up the PC as their prime platform after Zwei Zwei in 2008, that's how long they kept releasing on PC first. After that they fully switched to consoles. It was only fairly recently, in 2014 that they tried porting their games to PC for the Western releases that we saw a lot of their games getting localised and brought to PC. Falcom still doesn't do day and date PC releases. In that respect, even Atlus is supporting the PC better than Falcom.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Falcom gave up the PC as their prime platform after Zwei Zwei in 2008, that's how long they kept releasing on PC first. After that they fully switched to consoles. It was only fairly recently, in 2014 that they tried porting their games to PC for the Western releases that we saw a lot of their games getting localised and brought to PC. Falcom still doesn't do day and date PC releases. In that respect, even Atlus is supporting the PC better than Falcom.
To be fair: Falcon is so so small that their schedule of releasing one game yearly is mind boggling even if it's only releasing on one platform.

edin

Coffee, Controllers, etc
Sep 30, 2024
I've been thinking about Falcom's platform stuff for a bit and TBH I would rather they let the Western partners do PC because that means we get PH3 conversions which will 100% be better than anything they'd do internally. Also wish XSEED would bring Brandish's PSP release to PC. That was one of the few or only console release they didn't bring to PC in some form iirc.