Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Custom emoji list

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So something that I will attempt to do is talk to my former college counselor and ask her about going back to college and stuff that I should do to make sure that this time I do not have issues. She is a nice person but some of the reason why I felt scared to talk to her was because I felt that I not only let myself down but also her down in all of this.

In theory If all went well in 2018 was when I was supposed to have transferred to a 4 year college.

Here is some background about me and my college experience.

From 9th grade in high school to 12th grade you are ideal taking "honors"/AP classes (getting a high GPA, doing a lot of extra curricular stuff) and preparing for the SAT and ACT, then closer to your senior year you are applying to scholarships and stuff like that. I tried to do that stuff but in the end it did not really pan out, so instead of going to a 4 year college like I thought I would be going to since I was in 5th grade (ya for what ever reason I just assumed that there would be a spot reserved for me no questions asked, which I guess in theory was technically true because some California colleges do have this system that if you meet the minimum GPA and classes taken that you will get in). In 9th grade I did not do that well in this one class and there for I needed to repeat the class if I wanted to go straight to a 4 year college. I am not that great of a student and there was a sort of domino affect, one of the things that I was really good at was cross country running, in my freshman year I was getting a lot of awards from it. Then my sophomore years comes by and well I am reintroduced to manga (and I guess anime) after so many years of my mother not allowing me to see that sort of stuff and instead of going to practice and getting better at the sport I basically just ditch practice and instead just go home and read manga instead. Had I more self control or something then things might have been different. In my senior year of high school I was actually scared that I might not even get to graduate at all, but in the end I some how managed to pass and get my diploma. I did have fun in high school and I still have some memories of it (back when Verizon had a unlimited data plan for $30USD that you could have been grandfathered into), but at the same time it also feels like a big blur and that it didn't really happen at all.

In the Summer of 2012 since I know that I would not be going to a 4 year college and instead to a 2 year community college I decided to sign up and take classes with the intent of being a graphic designer (back in 2010 I saw some ones iPod touch and I was just memorized by some of the art stuff that they had on there and I decided that I also wanted to do something with art) So I took an art class that summer and a graphic design class (that class taught me the basics of Photoshop). It was in my art class that I got the wrong impression that all I needed in order to go to a 4 year college from a 2 year college was 90 credits (or something like that) and that the classes that I took didn't matter as long as I got 90 credits. That was a mistake on my part. I guess that there was a big disconnect from my high school and wanting to go to a 2 year college and then a 4 year college. My high school counselor was mainly getting people ready for a 4 year college and not what I was doing.

It was not until around my senior year in high school that I went to the college and meet with some one at the college to find out what classes I needed to take at that college. At this point instead of wanting to only do graphic design I also wanted to do something with Computer Science as well, basically the counselor told me that since I only took certain classes in high school that I would not be prepared to take them in college and there for had to do "basic math" for my first year in college (since the college works on a semester system), so I had to take Algebra 2 and Geometry in my freshman year of college when I could have gone straight to Calculus 1 if I had done well in high school

So I had been taking classes at the college since 2012 when I was still in high school and then graduated in 2014 which is when I technically a freshman in college despite already having some college credits under my belt. I did okay for my first year and some of that had to do with the fact that I was taking easy classes. But once my second year came that is when I started to fail/drop classes. In the Summer of 2015 I was just talking pre-calc and I was told that it was among one of the more challenging classes and because I was taking it during the Summer semester the class was only like 6 weeks long or something when normally classes take place over 4 months. I actually studied for the class since I did not want to fail and in the end I some how managed to pass, also it was during this time that I found out that we had some old printer paper at my school and I was using that to write stuff on since I thought it was cool (this is the printer paper with holes on the sides). Fall of 2015 was when I had my Calc 1 class and I basically failed that, then I retook that class and passes. Fall 2016 I took Cacl 2 and I failed that, Spring 2017 I took Calc 3 and I failed that. My memory is not that great and even now I don't know when I dropped put of college but having to retake classes and stuff like that left me feeling discouraged. I think after some time I will try to go back and retake Cal 3 and hopefully pass. By the way for Calc 1 and 2 I was eventually able to pass but I feel like some of that had to do with how easier those classes were.

I think it was around the end of 2016 when I started to question me going to school and what the point of it was, I had my own car at this point and in some cases would just ditch class. A lot of my classes were in the next town so this means I would have to drive for 30 minuted to get to class or take an hour long bus ride. I think I took the buss for at least a year, and I would play stuff like Fire Emblem Fates while on the bus.

You can take a class 3 times and after that you need to make an appeal to the college and give them a reason for why you are retaking the class. Depending on how things pan out with the counselor this may be something that I will need to do. Otherwise I may take the class when I transfer over.

By the way in theory all that I need to take in order to transfer or at least to have a worthwhile chance is to take Calc 3 and Calc 4, 3 physics classes. So I need about 5 classes left and I could maybe take those in the span of a year.

I still feel discouraged and I do know that you don't need a college degree but It can help and going to college you can get to experience working with others and possible make something coll (Now your thinking with Portals!!!!!).

I do have some hope of going back to college since some of the people that I knew at that school were students that were sometimes over the age of 30 that were going back to get a degree. I still want to go back by the time that I am 25 years old.

I want to try to pay off my dental stuff first since that is very important, when I was in college I ate a lot of junk food and didn't take good care of myself and from 2014 to 2017 I had not gone to the dentist once (I guess 2013 was the last time that I had gone to the dentist). There were some issues with my teeth but I didn't pay them much attention. When ever I would brush over a took it would hurt and the brush would smell bad, also I had some holes in my teeth, it was not until I thought that I had TMJ that I decided to go to the dentist (that pain that I thought was TMJ was tooth decay since one of my teeth had gotten rotten and was dead and that is where the tooth brush smell was coming from).

After I finish paying off the dental I will try to get a car and by that time I will have figured what I am going to do about college because if I stay as I am, I will just stay at a part time job living with my parents and not really getting anywhere. It's not the worst thing ever, but in the last year (summer 2018 to Summer 2019) I have not really been doing anything "productive" While I did drop out in 2017 from college? I was at least paying off some dental stuff from 2017 to 2018. Of the money that I did get in 2018, I did give some to my parents but I would just it to upgrade my PC and to buy more figures.

Of the things that I do regret buying it would have to buy LRG N/S games, luckily for me that I missed the Celeste CE because up to that point I was buying all of the N/S LRG releases and it was becoming a problem where I wanted to complete my collection, money for me was scarce at the time yet I kept buying them. I tried to buy the CE of these games when ever possible and some times that would mean spending over $80USD on a game that I would likely never play. I think I have spent well over $500 USD on N/S LRG stuff. I guess I could always try to sell some of that stuff down the line for at least some money. I did also go through a semi similar phase with the PS Vita but seeing as that was more niche there is a part of me that is okay with that.

I payed $50USD!!!! for the N/S of Yooka-Laylee even though I already had the game via Humble Bundle Monthly (or at least I think I had gotten the monthly by then, but the point is that I payed a lot for something I would eventually get for way cheaper). I did talk to one of the LRG founders and told them how I was upset at LRG and that I am glad that I am moving on from LRG since I don't want to waste money and something that I will not play. I was not forced to buy their games but once I had the first LRG N/S game I just felt like collection them all and I did get over 25 N/S games from them.... I think I may have spent over $1K USD on N/S games that I don't even play..... send help. (each game was something like $35 USD a piece and then on top of that I also purchased some CE that were around $80-90 USD)

PS I think I have spent maybe an hour or so writing all of this down, so I would not mind hearing some peoples opinions on these matters

LRG PC release

$90USD with shipping and eveything it should be less than $100USD

This AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES Special Agent Edition PC box set is being offered as a way for PC fans to get their hands on the physical Special Agent Edition content that was previously only available with the console releases of the game.

This is being sold as a completely open preorder for a limited time and will not be offered again.

In a near-future Tokyo, Special Agent Kaname Date is on the case of a mysterious serial killer. Date must investigate crime scenes as well as dreams on the hunt for clues. From the mind of Kotaro Uchikoshi (Zero Escape series director), with character design by Yusuke Kozaki (NO MORE HEROES, Fire Emblem series), a thrilling neo-noir detective adventure is about to unfold.

This Limited Edition includes:

• A-set acrylic stand
  • Outer box with original artwork by character designer Yusuke Kozaki
  • THOUGHTS REMaiN BELOW art book
  • REVERIES IN THE RaiN Soundtrack
  • A-set's #1 Fan stickers
  • Plastic card containing a code for the game on Steam
  • AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES lanyard (previously an Anime Expo exclusive - now available exclusively in the PC box set) - first 500 orders only!
  • AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES poster - first 500 orders only!
* THIS LISTING INCLUDES THE BONUS POSTER AND LANYARD - ONCE THIS LISTING IS SOLD OUT, A DIFFERENT PRODUCT WILL GO UP THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE LANYARD AND POSTER *

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I played through the Heave Ho demo via Parsec with morningbus and Xclash. 1) the game is pretty great 2) parsec is really damn good. I know devs make these games with parties / couch co-op in mind, but it's still a blast online.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
PS I think I have spent maybe an hour or so writing all of this down, so I would not mind hearing some peoples opinions on these matters
i did read it ... but i don't really know what to say about all of it :p

maybe just one thing: don't stress over school that much ... it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: PhaZZe and PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
i did read it ... but i don't really know what to say about all of it :p

maybe just one thing: don't stress over school that much ... it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things

It may not be important in the grand schemes of things but it has been a big part of my life and it also has been how I have been living my life.

When I was going attending community college it did not "feel" that different compared to high school in a way. I would imagine that if I moved away from home and went to a university that it would all feel different and stuff like that.

Maybe I kinda liked it there since it felt familiar

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It may not be important in the grand schemes of things but it has been a big part of my life and it also has been how I have been living my life.
also been a big part of mine ... but i dropped out ... literally 3 months before the end of the 4th year (yup, really) ... because i just wasn't really feeling it, and i realized i couldn't give less of a shit about any of that stuff

haven't regretted it even once

but then again - with the stuff i do, you don't really need college ... like, at all

Reactions: PC-tan

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Well nearly 30hrs since release I was finally able to connect to a Gears 5 versus match...

And yea M/KB Gears is really fucking good. Its so chaotic and responsive. Everyone running around destroying each other with shottys + flashbangs. Its a lot of fun. I went 14 and 9 in my first match. Our team got destroyed :D

But yea MS really needs to fix up all these server issues as there are still a weird bugs everywhere. They clearly weren't ready to release such a multiplayer title on 2 different consoles and 2 different pc platforms. They got hammered hard during this early access.

Also Campaign is a lot of fun. Almost done with the first Act and its a lot better than the start in Gears 4. I only enjoyed Acts 3 and 4 in Gears 4. The rest were meh so this is a good sign.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Pre ordered the new Yooka laylee game for $22ish. Figured if I'm gonna get the game, may as well donate a bit to charity.
Paging Cacpom :peekphotoblob:

Good find Tizoc I may bite, this looks fun playing with the miss ;)
Fun fact. It was in early access and was $2.50 some months ago. I likely wishlisted this only just recently. Had I known of it beforehand I would've gotten it earlier XP
EDIT

What dis?

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan and Echoes

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
If I understand correctly, it means play a game from start to finish but not in the same session, just finishing a game.

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
Oh, the Death Mark sequel has a store page now (I still need to play Death Mark :02sad: )

And of course it was already posted in the store page thread :)
It's hard for me to justify purchasing it considering the lack of dungeon crawling and puzzle elements, even if I can find a deal similar to the one I found for Death Mark (32% on GMG). I find it a little strange that this sequel/companion game is, for the lack of a better term, watered down in comparison to its predecessor, at least from all the pre-release stuff I've seen of it.
I might still pick it up down the line when it's cheaper.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm in Nova Scotia and Hurricane Dorian is going to be here in a few hours. Gusts of wind 90-150km per hour... It's gonna be a mess! I imagine power will go out and not be restored until Sunday at the earliest. My Kindle is charged and I'm downloading the Dark Crystal on my laptop. My only worry is the massive tree behind my house, but nothing I can do about it.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm in Nova Scotia and Hurricane Dorian is going to be here in a few hours. Gusts of wind 90-150km per hour... It's gonna be a mess! I imagine power will go out and not be restored until Sunday at the earliest. My Kindle is charged and I'm downloading the Dark Crystal on my laptop. My only worry is the massive tree behind my house, but nothing I can do about it.
Be safe out there !

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I spent 50 hours to 100% Celeste and now they added two extra achievements to the main ones due to the free extra-hard dlc releasing next week,

While I’m happy for the DLC I hate when they do that.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I spent 50 hours to 100% Celeste and now they added two extra achievements to the main ones due to the free extra-hard dlc releasing next week,

While I’m happy for the DLC I hate when they do that.
Hmm, this feel like when I 100%ed Rage 1, there were even super rare cheevos and then...
Brb, going to breath in a paper bag for some minutes.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and Wok

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I’m in Western Newfoundland so I can relate to this lmao. Stay safe!

Cant believe a hurricane is gonna hit me on my first day of work just my luck smh

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I’m in Western Newfoundland so I can relate to this lmao. Stay safe!

Cant believe a hurricane is gonna hit me on my first day of work just my luck smh
damn :( stay safe folks!

Deleted member 113

What's the best deal around for Greedfall, that includes the pre-order bonuses?

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
You snooze, you lose!
The sacrifices we make to catch up on Dragon Ball :p
The problem with the mobile version that I don't like is that it's not playable in landscape mode? Also I really despise the overlay for the controls. Maybe it's fine for VN games but not for RPGs like DQ. I'd still prefer playing the NES version with community patch/retranslation patch.
The thing is the games are actually greatly optimized for portrait view. You get true full screen without black borders or messed up aspect ratio, and it's very easy to play the games with just one hand (And no, you don't need your other hand for that in a 2d Dragon Quest game :p). The controls actually work very well since the only part of it that is very slightly compromised is movement and you don't really need pin point accuracy to move around in a 2d turn based JRPG. Other aspects like navigating menus and choosing commands in battle control like an absolute dream and since direct touch input is probably the most efficient way to perform these tasks in a turn based rpg. Plus you get updated sprites and terrific localization that is consistent with future entries for DQ1-3. and party chat for DQ4 which is a huge upgrade that is missing from the DS version. I'd still rebuy them on Steam if Square ever release there but for the mean time, the mobile versions are surprisingly an excellent option to play the first six DQ games!

Reactions: Li Kao

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
By the way since last Wednesday I was not feeling that good, I wanted to throw up while I was at work, I had the next day off then I went to work on Friday and I once again wanted to throw up while I was at work. Then I had what was almost a week off after that. During that time I was not feeling that well, but after taking some medicine I have been feeling a lot better now, though out the whole thing I only ended up throwing up once and luckily that was when I was at home and not at work. I guess it was my stomach or something that was hurting then and I still do feel some discomfort now but it's mostly flatulence now and burbing, This was also when I was having issue falling asleep, luckily now I can fall asleep without as much issue but it might still take some time before I go back to my regular routine.

Since I have hardly been playing any games, I decided to play DQIV again and I am making progress I'm in Chapter 4 and I have gunpowder. So I'm watching TV while playing DQ

I look forward to next week where we will hear more about Steam and N/S online cloud save stuff since I would imagine that it would be a feature that indie devs would like to have in their game. Especially if some of those games are lengthy
Hope you feel better soon PC-tan !

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
This

is a twin stick shooter.

Good for younger children to have an easy to play game of that genre. It has some cons though;
30 fps cutscenes 🤢
Merida's hair is static and is like some red paper sticks attached to her hair
Elemental coded enemies, thankfully one can quick switch to the element on above an enemy to deal better damage to them

One commendable element of the game is that there is co-op in the form of a co-op wisp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.