Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
That's the perplexing bit: people know they are going to be nickel-and-dimmed, people know they are locking more and more content and functionalities behind microtransactions, and "virtual" currency, and they know the online modes can disappear after as little as a year, yet... they continue to buy them.

It's been years since I bought an NBA 2K title, exactly because of this.
Yep. I can understand someone buying NBA2K for the first time and feeling burned out, but then I see people buy a game one year, get pissed at MTX then buy the game the following year and get pissed again and all I can think of is "Oh so this is what Stockholm syndrome looks like"

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I would recommend dropping some settings down if not turning them off like Shadows. Assuming you hadn't done that yet :x
Nothing really significantly improves performance other than disabling shadows entirely, but it makes the game look quite bad. Even when dropping to 720p from 1080p I'm still in the 40s. I think I'll just power through and deal with it at medium settings. Thankfully it's only the big hub areas that are like that. The rest seems to keep up at 60.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
DQ is cool but sometimes somethings are just not always so clear. It's like you do something and it's not until 30+ minutes later that you find out your doing it wrong.

I have not played DQIV for a long time and I'm just wondering around, basically I think I may have to rely on a guide to help me figure out what to do.

I have a rough idea of what I need to do, aka I heard about steps B,C,D, and E but I have yet to figure out what step A is.

If I beat DQIV this month does that count as a game? Or does it have to be a PC game?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It would certainly help if people that dislike this would stop fucking buying them.

It's like CoD for me. Every year 2K makes NBA shittier and shittier and shittier, if you bought more than two NBA2K games in the past 4 or so years you have only yourself to blame.

Wait what? This is a fucking twin stick shooter???
Left stick for movement, right stick for arrow weapon once you unlock it early on. You can also use coins you collect to unlock a dodge roll for movement.
Game is presented from a locked camera, overhead view, think Ys games a bit.

Reactions: Stone Ocean

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Done with The Bard's Tale 4.
And that was very good but.

"But" is definitely the name of the game.
It has sooo many issues that should have been fixed... and some aspects that are just badly designed. And should have been changed for director's cut!
So the most glaring change: a huge visual downgrade. No it's not "a different style", they gutted most of anything to get a decent framerate. And they got it, but the game lost so much charm... mostly in cities, which range from "not very good" to fucking hideous in Skara Brae below (good thing that it's only the hub and probably the zone where you'll spend the most time... right...?).
And the game still chugs constantly, like when you open loot... but not 100% of the time now so... progress?

The game also had bugs. Lots of bugs.
It has arguably more bugs than before, but I can't compare.
But if you consider 'character skills resetting at random", "characters not responding", "combat grid getting stuck", "animations getting stuck for 1min+" to be problems... yeah the game has plenty of that.
And when I say plenty, I mean I had to quicksave/quickload EVERY 5 MINS. Not an exaggeration, and even then that's behind kind to the game, some bugs repeated multiple times over the course of 30 seconds. Good thing that you have a quicksave now, and not only checkpoints... :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:
Everything related to the UI, and entering combat (since it's almost seemless it's also pretty much slapping the combat UI on top of the game world) is outright broken.
I have never seen that in any game, ever. I don't even want to know what their code looks like, but "pig pen" is probably the closest approximation.
No game breaking bug or crashes to report, at least...

But after all that crap, the game is genuinely fun. The story is just okay (but it's a D-RPG, so, eeeh whatever), but it has very good voice acting, and the gameplay is very, very solid.
Puzzles are classic stuff for the genre, usually not too complicated (though near the end it starts becoming a decent challenge), fairly well explained, with some really nebulous hidden secrets. It's not as varied as Grimrock 2, however. It works well, but I would have liked some more surprises. On the other hand, it is also much more accessible. Myst it is not.
Combat is a lot of fun, and much, much better than most D-RPGs. Based on a 4x4 grid, heavily focused on controlling ennemies and comboing your limited amount of skills on each character, there's plenty of fun to be found, and you can really break the game in your own way. I like that.
It's not very similar to the old games though... but their combat wasn't super thrilling, so...

The big issue here is the depth of the combat: while 75% of the game is very fun, you get all your important skills, and you reach a plateau for your regular gear (outside of some unique ones with their owns skills and passives - they're great, but quite rare)... and then you just get marginal stat upgrades.
The last part of the game kinda sucks for that reason, by that point you have your combos, and you just spam them, blasting away all ennemies with ease.
It's nice to end up OP, but maybe not for a quarter of the game.

And in the same way the pacing and story, despite being just okay in general, it really runs out of steam in the last part.
It really feels like extra stuff added for little more reason than padding. That doesn't help the gameplay getting stale at that point.

In the end it's a very good game, but severely hampered by being a technical mess, and stumbling around out of breath at the end.
I still liked it a lot, but I rushed the last part because I ended up bored. Too bad really, had it stayed as interesting as it was, I definitely could have excused the constant issues. But it's a bit too much for something called a "director's cut" that adds almost nothing, not even a sort items button.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
Done with The Bard's Tale 4.
And that was very good but.

Thanks for the review! I was planning on starting this relatively soon. I've owned it since the first launch but have been holding off till the director's cut, but maybe I'll let it cook a little more to see if they can get a few more of these bugs fixed.

Reactions: Milena and Ge0force

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Those bugs in Bard's Tale 4 make the game seem absolutely terrible, I'm not interested in having to quickload every 10 minutes because the game just messed up all skill points, or whatever.

Reactions: Milena and Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
In short, it's one of the best PC versions I've ever seen - excellent performance and tons of customization options. Seriously impressive stuff and I didn't expect to see Microsoft and Coalition putting so much effort in Steam version.
That's great news! I'm still angry about the €69.99 pricetag, but I will buy it when it's 75% off. If that ever happens of course.

I've considered taking a month of Game Pass as well, but for some reason, it still doesn't feel right for me. I'm not sure this is because of the locked down nature of Windows Store games, or the concept of renting games instead of owning them.

I'm still a bit concerned that subscription services will lead to bare bones games will shit loads of dlc to keep people subscribed. While this may be acceptable for multiplayer games, I definitely don't want this to be the future for singleplayer games.

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Is Humble the cheapest place to get Greedfall if I a monthly subscriber? It says 15% off which is cheaper than the lowest on ITAD

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Is Humble the cheapest place to get Greedfall if I a monthly subscriber? It says 15% off which is cheaper than the lowest on ITAD
If you are monthly subber you can set the discount to 20% maximum.
As is either it or GMG are the cheapest price.

Deleted member 113

Buy GreedFall at the best price - Cheap CD key gg.deals says 2games should be the cheapets right now
2Game doesn't include the pre-order bonus, so if you want those items, you will need to purchase the DLC after launch.

What do you mean set the discount? My humble says 15% off, can I get 20% off?
On the shopping cart, there's a button that says "manage your rewards" if you are a monthly subscriber.
You can change the discount percentage and donation percentage.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Why do you do this Bamco?
Code Vein on PS4 keeps getting more and more content and now even character transfer, meanwhile on PC... :loudnoises_kuro:

Reactions: PC-tan

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
2Game doesn't include the pre-order bonus, so if you want those items, you will need to purchase the DLC after launch.

On the shopping cart, there's a button that says "manage your rewards" if you are a monthly subscriber.
You can change the discount percentage and donation percentage.
sneaky! I didnt know that, thanks. That is the cheapest now.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

sneaky! I didnt know that, thanks. That is the cheapest now.
WinGameStore has the game for around 43 USD, and depending on the current currency conversion rate, it may end up being very slightly cheaper than Humble.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Demo, they added stuff to it, I'm actually not sure if the content is demo exclusive or not but you can transfer character now too.
I'd assume it's not exclusive.
So it's just demo stuff then, you also get the demo stuff on Xbox One as well. And just to make sure do you mean that you get some cool extra stuff just for playing the demo and the character creation thing? If so that does make sense seeing how the demo is not even on PC (I have no idea if Bandai even does demos for PC). What is the content that you get for just playing the demo?

Also will multiplayer sort of be like God Eater 3 where they region locked it? They region locked GE3 multiplayer at launch and then after some time they disabled that and you can now play with people regardless of region.

I have not played the demo yet but I do hope that the game ends up being decent. CV is the one game that I am getting this September.

Reactions: Kuro

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
So it's just demo stuff then, you also get the demo stuff on Xbox One as well. And just to make sure do you mean that you get some cool extra stuff just for playing the demo and the character creation thing? If so that does make sense seeing how the demo is not even on PC (I have no idea if Bandai even does demos for PC). What is the content that you get for just playing the demo?

Also will multiplayer sort of be like God Eater 3 where they region locked it? They region locked GE3 multiplayer at launch and then after some time they disabled that and you can now play with people regardless of region.

I have not played the demo yet but I do hope that the game ends up being decent. CV is the one game that I am getting this September.
I'd assume there's nothing exclusive in the demo, but as always PC is getting the short end of stick and gets to make character and enjoy the first hours of the game when it releases, and they haven't mentioned of any rewards, just that you get to keep your character for full game. No clue about how multiplayer works yet, I'm staying strong for the PC release this time (Read: already pre-ordered for PC).

Everyone seems to be on the Greedfall hypetrain, meanwhile I'm just here waiting for the true September 10th king

I'm with you, Blasphemous will be lit :praisethesun:

Reactions: Deleted member 113

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I'd assume there's nothing exclusive in the demo, but as always PC is getting the short end of stick and gets to make character and enjoy the first hours of the game when it releases, and they haven't mentioned of any rewards, just that you get to keep your character for full game. No clue about how multiplayer works yet, I'm staying strong for the PC release this time (Read: already pre-ordered for PC).

I'm with you, Blasphemous will be lit :praisethesun:
But there is no co-op, so not really:praisethesun: ;)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I beat Cat Quest. It was okay. I can't say I'd recommend it if you have a busy backlog. If you just need a mindless game with combat that doesn't really change much, this might be for you.
Yep. Exactly my experience as well. It's mindless casual fun for a few hours and thankfully it's not longer than a few hours.

Reactions: Nabs

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The twitch stream to a giant quality leap when I changed to 60 fps.
Code Vein feels like a very weird mixture between Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. However, I really hate that the game shows me tutorial windows when enemies suddenly pops up.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Trying out idfferent methods of streaming on my PS4, Twitch has bad quality and my Elgato HD60 has massive delay.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So I was just thinking to myself, what you guys think will be the bigger news of the month on the PC space, Borderlands 3 or the new Steam library?

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I think there's a bunch of people excited for borderlands 3, and a bunch of people excited for borderlands 3 in the sense of just wanting to see if it does bad or good because it's the biggest launch for that place (well currently)

Reactions: Stevey and PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.