Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
If I have a 4K TV, I want to hook up PS4 Pro to it and make it as Netflix/Youtube player. Dual monitors setup is not sufficient anymore for my needs lol.

Btw, is HRD needed? That other forum made it looks like if a game or a TV doesn't have HDR it means the end of the world.
IMO HDR > 4K

Just be aware of the fake HDR TV's out there. But I have found that 'true' HDR TVs are more common than fake ones, and they're no longer that expensive.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Is the difference that massive?
I don't think so at all tbh. It's nice for sure, but a nicely calibrated TV with settings that you like can be just as nice.

And for gaming it's still all over the place honestly. HDR is great in movies, but game devs can't seem to be consistent with it and all seem to be using different standards...

... It's also really annoying to use HDR on PC still. :notlikethisblob:

Probably my favorite example of decent HDR is FFXV, but I don't think it works during the pre-rendered scenes.

The only other good example that comes to mind is Horizon: Zero Dawn. Say what you want about the game itself, I didn't much like it myself, but Guerilla Games are masters of visuals. It's a damn shame they are stuck to Sony Hardware.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I don't think so at all tbh. It's nice for sure, but a nicely calibrated TV with settings that you like can be just as nice.

And for gaming it's still all over the place honestly. HDR is great in movies, but game devs can't seem to be consistent with it and all seem to be using different standards...

... It's also really annoying to use HDR on PC still. :notlikethisblob:

Probably my favorite example of decent HDR is FFXV, but I don't think it works during the pre-rendered scenes.

The only other good example that comes to mind is Horizon: Zero Dawn. Say what you want about the game itself, I didn't much like it myself, but Guerilla Games are masters of visuals. It's a damn shame they are stuck to Sony Hardware.
The good thing about HZD is the visual and giant monster robot, that's all.

__

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
How much side content did you finish by the time you completed the game? Mad Max is redonkulously huge!
A lot of it but not all. I believe I finished all the Wasteland missions and I completely cleared every area except Deep Friah's. By completely cleared I mean that I dropped the threat level to 0, not that I looted every scavenging location and such.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
A lot of it but not all. I believe I finished all the Wasteland missions and I completely cleared every area except Deep Friah's. By completely cleared I mean that I dropped the threat level to 0, not that I looted every scavenging location and such.
... and on that note - fuck the races! the only event i avoided like the plague

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
... and on that note - fuck the races! the only event i avoided like the plague
It was definitely the worst event. After a couple of early races I left them until way, way later when I had upgraded the car and Max. Races became fun in the very late game because I had lots of shotgun rounds and thunderpoons available, at which point they became a sequence of start race - shotgun or thunderpoon everyone until I'm the only one left on the track - casually stroll through the finish line.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It was definitely the worst event. After a couple of early races I left them until way, way later when I had upgraded the car and Max. Races became fun in the very late game because I had lots of shotgun rounds and thunderpoons available, at which point they became a sequence of start race - shotgun or thunderpoon everyone until I'm the only one left on the track - casually stroll through the finish line.
well i suppose that's one way to get around the races being shit :p haha

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Haha yeah the races in Mad Max, I raged so much to them.XD I can't handle timed and stressful stuff in games, especially when there are gameplay elements that are quite random, like the races in Max Max, small bump in the road could make you fly of the road and wow I was so close to smashing my controller so many times.XD

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Haha yeah the races in Mad Max, I raged so much to them.XD I can't handle timed and stressful stuff in games, especially when there are gameplay elements that are quite random, like the races in Max Max, small bump in the road could make you fly of the road and wow I was so close to smashing my controller so many times.XD
That's why you blow everyone else up!

Reactions: Milena and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Gonna do a few purchases tonight, but one pricey purchases is gonna be the Deahspank games. I'd been meaning to try and get them one by one each sale but I forget plus there are discounted games more worthwhile to get instead.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I really liked the first Deathspank game, I played it on Xbox 360 when it released. The second game was good as well, a direct continuation of the first one, in a new setting.
I still haven't played the third game :shrugblob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Console gamers: "The Epic Store is good because it gives developers a higher cut"
Also console gamers: "OH MY GOD! HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CHEAP DIGITAL PRICES OVER AT THE ARGENTINA SWITCH ESHOP? LET'S ALL GO AND BUY FROM THAT CHEAPER REGION DESPITE NOT BEING SOMETHING WE SHOULD DO, BUT THE PRICES ARE SO MUCH CHEAPER SO WHO CARES".

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Console gamers: "The Epic Store is good because it gives developers a higher cut"
Also console gamers: "OH MY GOD! HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CHEAP DIGITAL PRICES OVER AT THE AUSTRALIAN SWITCH ESHOP? LET'S ALL GO AND BUY FROM THAT CHEAPER REGION DESPITE NOT BEING SOMETHING WE SHOULD DO, BUT THE PRICES ARE SO MUCH CHEAPER SO WHO CARES".
Yeah, it's totally disgusting tbh. Screw them.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Tomorrow night is the first round of season 6 of our multiplayer contest we play on a french forum.

We call it "Koh Lanta des Jeux Vidéo" (Koh Lanta being the french Survivor TV Show where stranded people crawl in mud and eat bugs to win something to eat and then the losing team vote to exclude someone :steam_cleanseal: ).

It's more or less the same thing here : players divided in teams, they play an online game with sometimes special rules and the losing team kick a member out. We do it with the help of french videogames magazine Canard PC who gives Steam recent games (around 40€) to the winners.

We play on various games, most are free or given multiple times in bundles because we don't want players to have to buy games to play, but the goal is to make them unconfortable like in the TV show. They will not eat bugs or pull the rope, but they will play games they don't want to play. Games are mostly unknown to players so no one have an advantage on others.

We make them compete on bad games, or sometimes good games but in hard mode, with special rules to decide who wins. Steam games, flash games, from Itch.io, we even played crosswords in team or karaoke.

We used Unturned, Toribash, Company of Heroes, Monaco What's Yours is Mine, The Ship, Hide and Shriek... and very bad ones I don't remember all of them. It's season 6, so in 5 years we used a lot of shitty games.

I won the first season, and now I help my friend who invented this to organize and make sure everybody is having fun (even the ones who got kicked out).

So first round tomorrow : they will play Moonbase Alpha in team where they need to work together to make the best time as possible. Plot twist : not all players are good, not all players know each other before, but they will have to play together nonetheless. And that's what makes it fun (to watch :p ).

Can't wait for this Koh Lanta to start !

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Also console gamers: "OH MY GOD! HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CHEAP DIGITAL PRICES OVER AT THE AUSTRALIAN SWITCH ESHOP? LET'S ALL GO AND BUY FROM THAT CHEAPER REGION DESPITE NOT BEING SOMETHING WE SHOULD DO, BUT THE PRICES ARE SO MUCH CHEAPER SO WHO CARES".
IIRC they also said that regional pricing is bad practice.

Wait Australia have cheaper game price???? I thought Australia is amongst the highest.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
IIRC they also said that regional pricing is bad practice.

Wait Australia have cheaper game price???? I thought Australia is amongst the highest.
Sorry, I meant Argentina. Have no idea why I put Australia in there. Argentina eShop is just codes, it's even not an actual eshop. You receive a code in your email.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Glorious PC Gaming Race Model O- in the house. Only 58g and slightly smaller than the Razer Viper (my current favorite), might actually be a tad too slim for me, but can't wait to compare them in the heat of gaming (or, well, in the heat of browsing Steam).

How much side content did you finish by the time you completed the game? Mad Max is redonkulously huge!
It looks bigger than it is though, a big chunk of the map is empty desert. When I got there I was expecting another boatload of side missions and strongholds but quickly went 'ohhhh....'. The very last area isn't huge either. Tbh while the game undeniably was repetitive it played so nicely that I was disappointed, could've gone on another few hours. Sad we never got DLC.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hey, there is always one they say (on shit forums), so I pretty much hated Mad Max. I nearly hated myself too by the time I reached the end and couldn’t clear the map anymore.
Vehicle gameplay bored me, camps looked visually copy pasted, plot was bonker. I really liked the underground level though, the one in the desert.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Dunno about Mad Max, I started playing it and it wasn't too bad but I just didn't feel like returning to it after 3 or 4 hours. To be honest, it might've been burnout from open world games.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I don't know if it was already posted, but I think this is interesting:

Kine dev said:
I was hesitant about this myself. Long before I put up my Epic store page I asked Valve to remove my WIP Steam page, and they did so for me. However, they strongly urged me to reconsider.

Valve wants developers that are releasing on other storefronts to have a Steam page. They want their customers to be able to wishlist the game on Steam as soon as they see a trailer elsewhere.

I still had Valve remove the page and left it removed for many, many months. Just before I released the last trailer I reached out to Valve and asked them if their opinion had changed. It had not, and they encouraged me to put the page back up.

I understand where you are coming from, and that you think you are backing Valve with your comment. However this was their decision and I trust them to know what is best for their customers.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That IS interesting! And show's just how Valve isn't threatened by EGS and what they want is for Steam to be that stable part of people's lives, where as they put it "when someone sees a trailer, they can instantly Wishlist it on steam", there is security in that, both for the gamer and for Valve because just knowing it has a store page on steam that one can wait for it.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I don't know if it was already posted, but I think this is interesting:

Evil Valve forcing developers to put their game to Steam.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Also console gamers: "OH MY GOD! HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE CHEAP DIGITAL PRICES OVER AT THE ARGENTINA SWITCH ESHOP? LET'S ALL GO AND BUY FROM THAT CHEAPER REGION DESPITE NOT BEING SOMETHING WE SHOULD DO, BUT THE PRICES ARE SO MUCH CHEAPER SO WHO CARES".
How have devs respond to this?

Also were there people that thought regional pricing was a bad thing?

The DQ trilogy thing is cool, buy since I have a physical collection of DQ games I think I'm just going to pay $50USD to get a physical copy of the collection from Play Asia.

SE bring the collection to PC, I'm guessing that they focused on N/S because of DQXI S. If so maybe PS4 and PC won't even get the collection? If so that would suck.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
What are wishlist rates on EGS? Oh, they can't get on there unless they blow Sweeney/submit to exclusivity terms. Tough. You can make suggestions but to act entitled about the visibility you should be getting in this manner? Like what if you got that many because traffic was directed wrongly to you when it should instead direct to other games that got less visibility because your game was promoted more? Meh. Then again it's probably not (all) the devs acting entitled but instead merely reporting their results as feedback for Valve's continued efforts, it's just bozos like that supposedly acting on their behalf making such sweeping generalizations and acting like games universally get less visibility after the update. What the fuck are users viewing then, they have to be seeing something, they only rearranged the way in which they see things to hopefully better match user behavior, not made it blank. Why not promote the games they think deserve more attention on twitter instead of just bash their platform in an overarching scheme that attempts to promote another without these games on it?

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So apparently the new complaint among indie devs is the algorithm change didn't help their wishlists?

But the actual thing that's uniting many devs with wishlist drops is that their games aren't released yet?

And I dunno that kind of makes sense that the store would prioritize showing games that are released?

We're not getting as much wishlists as we did last month so valve is literally killing indie gaming

Subtle.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I played a shit ton of World of Final Fantasy over the weekend so I'm somehow in the final chapter in front of the final dungeon now with Mirage completion of somewhere in the 70% :whistle:
Depending on how long that is and how much of the remaining optional/post-game stuff I want to do, I'll still probably be busy this week, but this went faster than expected.

Really good game, though the minigames it suddenly introduced in the final chapter suck. Thankfully you can skip them.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Can we please post this kind of tweets in the Epic Store topic? I'm really, really getting tired of reading this kind of bullshit, and it's strongly demotivating me from playing games. If the Epic Store becomes "the" new place to buy indie games, I'll just quit gaming and find another hobby. I'm starting to loose the last bit of respect that I still have left for games developers and publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.