Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Had the problem again where every tab/page/whatever on Steam Client was working. Chat worked, Store worked, Launching a game via the Store worked, Big Picture worked. but my Library was just blank with the neon steam symbol and dots.
Didn't want the hassle of logging out and having to turn my chair around to pick up my phone for the 2FA code so i opened Task Manager and killed all the SteamWebHelper.exe instances. [UWSL]Bingo[/UWSL], Library back. And i didn't have to move my chair.

• Toucan
Reactions: sk2k and ISee

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
That reminds me that I need to sell my Rift S while it's still doable.
I don't have the space, and now I have a cat, too much troubles.
And I didn't play Alyx.

I will give back my Steam Gamer card at the entrance :weary-face:
My cat interferes with me while I play VR at his own risk.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
How about getting some cool VR games instead? If you liked Alyx I don't see why you wouldn't like The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners. What else do you like?

Other than AAA or sprawling CRPGs. Or anime visual novels :x (there are a few but I think they're super short, barely an hour but an upcoming one is promising).

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
That short was very nice, it's just a shame a lot of it has little reality in the game. No atmospheric entry, no stealth gameplay, and a lot of the maneuvering seemed like the occupants would be crushed into a fine paste :p. I'm also not sure that the damage model is that granular and localized, but I do recall them saying something along those lines! It's still a damn amazing piece of CG and I like how they make us root for the character, even portraying iconic ships in a much more ominous light.

His work on JAI is pretty promising, so I don't know about the wrong side of history there.

To be entirely honest with you, I'm not very fond of those kinds of statements and cancel culture itself is based on rather quick judgments that have huge consequences for someone's life. Rarely have all the facts the time to come to light and there is no end to the horror stories of people wrongfully canceled. Not to say that I know much about it in Blow's case, I can recall he grated me a tad but I'm not a fan of the overall reasoning. It feels too much like justice by mob for my taste.
I've only played braid, so I can't speak to the Witness or whatever he's working on right now, I can only comment on his public statements and persona, which tends to be highly intelligent but very much removed from the people playing his games and at times the world around him to a large degree. Sure cancel culture can be at times quite reactionary, but if it gets as far as a convention dropping someone from a panel, it's not a split decision made because of twitter.

He seems to be saying if someone is cancelled because of racist or sexist (etc) remarks, we're losing out on a greater good in the fields that person might be skilled in by not having them speak publicly. That's a bit like saying smart people are absolved from the social consequences of their actions if it's not in their field. Hell he even invoked Godwin's law when he mentions Nazi's in his tweetthread.

That wreaks of smugness to me, if only because HE won't talk if someone else's shitty comments catch up to them. It's not like Blow was called out for something, he's defending hypothetical racists and bigots because they aren't just racists and bigots. Not everyone deserves a platform.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'm thinking about buying a 144Hz monitor, but I'm not sure if I should stick with 1080p or go to 1440p. I have a GeForce 1060 and I'll eventually upgrade to the equivalent RTX3000/4000 series card.
Certainly you'll have no issues with 1080p and either of those RTX3000/4000 cards. You'd probably be set with that for several years on. Getting 144hz out of high end stuff with current cards (20XX series) is pretty tough unless you're willing to drop graphical features down a few pegs. So with those 30XX cards I suspect you'd be able to do 1080p 144hz with no issues at all.

You'd probably be able to do 1440p decently well most of the time also, though maybe the most demanding stuff like Ray Tracing might have to be turned down a bit (instead of turned off like you need to do today).

I pretty much only do 1080p these days and haven't felt too bad about it. Though I would probably die without a second monitor which I use constantly. So maybe I'd feel differently if I only had 1 screen.

Reactions: ISee

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The hybrids continue to breed and multiply among the population of the host species, eventually forming a Genestealer Cult. As the cult grows in numbers, it begins to spread its influence throughout the planet's political and social structure, placing its members in positions of power within the government and the military.

At the same time, the cult's hybrid members, united by a smaller psychic gestalt known as the Broodmind, begin to emit a collective psychic signal through the Warp that acts as a beacon for the approaching Tyranid hive fleet.

As the Tyranid Hive Fleet nears the doomed world, the Genestealer Cult, potentially numbering in the millions by this point, goes into action, instigating a worldwide rebellion with the goal of weakening the planet's defences against the approaching hive fleet.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I've only played braid, so I can't speak to the Witness or whatever he's working on right now, I can only comment on his public statements and persona, which tends to be highly intelligent but very much removed from the people playing his games and at times the world around him to a large degree. Sure cancel culture can be at times quite reactionary, but if it gets as far as a convention dropping someone from a panel, it's not a split decision made because of twitter.

He seems to be saying if someone is cancelled because of racist or sexist (etc) remarks, we're losing out on a greater good in the fields that person might be skilled in by not having them speak publicly. That's a bit like saying smart people are absolved from the social consequences of their actions if it's not in their field. Hell he even invoked Godwin's law when he mentions Nazi's in his tweetthread.

That wreaks of smugness to me, if only because HE won't talk if someone else's shitty comments catch up to them. It's not like Blow was called out for something, he's defending hypothetical racists and bigots because they aren't just racists and bigots. Not everyone deserves a platform.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I was a bit apprehensive about voicing a bit of dissent so I appreciate the time you took to explain.

I didn't enjoy Braid so much but the Witness was my happy place for a few months. It had so much to it, but also lacked a definite ending other than making you experience a few key things. I can definitively see how Blow may have been portrayed as pretentious through the experience of this game, but I also see it as simple sincerity.

As for his persona himself, I'm more iffy on it. I followed him a while ago and haven't taken a look at him or his feed in over nearly two years and he certainly did have a bit of a foot-in-mouth syndrome with extreme statements that didn't acknowledge nuance and other possible perspectives than his own. That's about how much I remember of him, and certainly bigots and people who are behaving like abusers don't deserve the defense of not being completely evil to the bone. Your point is well-taken there.

I'm also with you on cancel culture and I'm honestly relieved we agree. I don't have the answer, and I honestly have started categorizing between backlash, which I would describe as actually rooted in facts and deserved and cancel, which I see as fickle and prone more to ego tantrums and trigger tempers.

The term "social consequences" still makes me shiver, but at the same time I would have damn liked people who abused me to face some degree of accountability so I'd see it as a double-edged sword.

Reactions: Virix and Li Kao

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
There is just so much wrong with all of this.

I'm going to assume that a lot of them are from there and not just other that decided to travel their just for the sake of it. But don't people get sad and stuff when a person of their community dies? How will they react when some one ends up dying from it? Or will they just brush it off?

I'm sure that they care about other people and stuff but when does that "kick in", or does that not happen until it's to late and people start saying that they are sorry and those sorries are not going to fix anything.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I'm thinking about buying a 144Hz monitor, but I'm not sure if I should stick with 1080p or go to 1440p. I have a GeForce 1060 and I'll eventually upgrade to the equivalent RTX3000/4000 series card.
I recently had to make this decision too. I found a decent 1440p/144hz monitor and a very similar 1080p/144hz monitor for substantially less money. Ultimately I still chose the 1440p variant because a monitor only ever gets changed when it goes kaput. It can last 5 years or even more. Might as well buy the best one you can afford at the time you have to make the choice. I also prioritized GSync compatibility in case (or rather, when) the time comes that my hardware will not be able to put out good enough framerates.

Reactions: dummmyy

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018
I guess I'm 32:9 gang for a bit. I'm not sure I have the power or space for this, but I can do this at least

NGL, this looks freaking cool as heck man.

What version is this? I assume its the "PC" port, but those textures look too good for the base game.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
NGL, this looks freaking cool as heck man.
Yeah, it's mindblowing tbh. I'm trying to figure out what to play, but so far nothing has wowed me like sm64.

"What version is this? I assume its the "PC" port, but those textures look too good for the base game."

PC Port + Mario Odyssey Moveset + Hypatia Textures.

If anyone's interested in trying any of that, or the other mods/texture packs, check this: sm64pcBuilder2 you just need a mario 64 rom, and msys2 installed and it'll handle the dependencies and all that. I'm always down to help if anyone needs any.

QFNS

Nov 18, 2018

If anyone's interested in trying any of that, or the other mods/texture packs, check this: sm64pcBuilder2 you just need a mario 64 rom, and msys2 installed and it'll handle the dependencies and all that. I'm always down to help if anyone needs any.
I am going to try this. I have a mario 64 rom somewhere around here, I'll let you know if I have questions.

Reactions: Nabs

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

we're officially living in hell ...

AMD marketing strikes again:
  • Promoting expansive, high end cards to Fortnite Kids, needing their parents permission to buy 10€ skins(*). What exactly is the market here?
  • Asking people to be excited about the Vega 7 cooler, but in a different cooler schemes(**). Fully dismissing that people were excited for the leaked Ampere cooler because it looked wild and new.

"Dude, 3080 had 140fps+ in Doom Eternal at 4k. 3090 must be wild."
"Whatever Nvidia simp, AMD has three fans. I saw it in Fortnite!"
"Holy Noctua; It's not a blower? I'm canceling my 3080 preorder now too." (***)

AMD, at least talk about something relevant like maybe having more memory or accidentally leak a benchmark. Because Nvidia is going to stomp you tomorrow.
All I'm getting from this "exciting news" is that AMD will also push power consumption. Just like with Vega 7, which was a terrible card. :cautious:
Feels like AMD is marketing to people already set to buy AMD.

* I have no idea how expansive skins are
** It's not the same, there are some slight design changes.
*** That's the enthusiast DIY community slang. According to AMD

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Apparently, you can play already in the China server with all of the language options so I turned my thread to an OT.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, it's mindblowing tbh. I'm trying to figure out what to play, but so far nothing has wowed me like sm64.

"What version is this? I assume its the "PC" port, but those textures look too good for the base game."

I just tried this but the game stutters and it's not silky smooth 60fps. Any way to fix that?
It's the same whether I use the sm64pcbuilder 1 or 2.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I just tried this but the game stutters and it's not silky smooth 60fps. Any way to fix that?
It's the same whether I use the sm64pcbuilder 1 or 2.
Hmm. I'm not sure. I do lock it to 60fps in the nvidia control panel (Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings), I'm not sure if that would help you. It's also worth going in there to add some AA if you have the power.

How bad is the stuttering?

Hey thanks for this.
NP, good luck.

Here's what my builder looks like before building for anyone hopping in. I usually roll with sm64-ex /nightly unless I'm using the Render96 models and textures. Analog Camera, Texture Fixes, External Resources, and 60FPS are all solid picks.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Hmm. I'm not sure. I do lock it to 60fps in the nvidia control panel (Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings), I'm not sure if that would help you. It's also worth going in there to add some AA if you have the power.

How bad is the stuttering?
I have the FPS locked to 60 but it drops here and there to under that and then the stuttering happens.
It seems also the frame time is not also keeping the same value but jumps back and forth all the time.

Specs is 6700k and 2080 super so I don't think it's hardware limitation.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Bought Amid Evil on GOG. There is no RTX support, because its not the Steam version.
Is it a big deal? Yes, because I'm paying the same for a lesser version. Having to ask GOG for a refund now.

They are apparently getting around it by leaving the RTX version in steam beta since January.
I really try to support games on GOG, but they have to be the same versions and not lacking features. Even if it's just visual ones in a retro FPS game.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I just want to sing the praises of the Steam recommendation system. It's getting better and better and I just noticed they have something called the community's recommendations of the day. Games with something like 2 users reviews were on there that I would have been hard-pressed to find otherwise. In the same vein, the quality of the recommendations really surprised me. Wishlists drive these as well as your own purchase and I found a lot of stuff I had forgotten about, from Crapftopia to Surviving Mars.

Now I don't have the money to spend on those, but that's another problem :p.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
for some reason, the Steam library does not show me News/Updates on the top anymore, is that a bug on my end or did Valve change this?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
crimsonheadGCN I'm glad i went 1440p@144hz as the extra space is very handy in apps and documents but i have an RTX 2070. If you're definitely going to upgrade to a new gfx card then it's worth considering it but i'd wait for benchmarks before deciding. You may be better off getting a really good 1080p monitor than a 1440p monitor depending on prices etc.

For all the talk of 4k i don't think 1080p is going away any time soon.

fantomena Tbh Spelunky 2 looked a bit meh to me but i didn't play much Spelunky just watched tons of it but after watching Brad play it last night on GB it looks like it's going to be a fantastic iteration. Say goodbye to your lives, Spelunkers! lol!

Reactions: ISee
Status
Not open for further replies.