Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I haven't gotten very far into Monster's Expedition yet, but I was blown away by the introduction. The way it leads into its title card is phenomenal. I've also been kind of shocked by how huge the map is. I don't think I've seen that much of it yet, but the map screen stutters whenever I open it up. I keep thinking I must be reaching the edge, then I go sailing off 20 miles further.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I would like to give spelunky one another shot, any tips? I suck really bad at platforming.
My advice as someone who has been playing it again in anticipation of the next one.

1. Learn from others. At this point Spelunky is a solved game,take advantage of that and learn what is worth messing with and what isn't. Watch a couple videos or read the wiki for good strats. You don't need to try and be a speedrunner, but safe careful play is the way to the bottom.

2. ABC. Always Be Carrying. Carry something. A pot, a rock, a broken arrow, a shotgun. Something. You never know when you'll need to use it to trigger a trap or hit an enemy. Using stuff to make the arrow traps trigger is vitally important to keeping yourself alive. Also learn the arc your base throw takes and know that it can change with certain items (thinking of the mitt here).

3. Know when to rob the store and when not to. Early on, I'd say don't bother robbing, but after you get a handle on the platforming, the shop becomes a tempting target. There are extremely consistent and safe ways to rob the stores and get out with all the items and the storekeeper's shotgun. Btw all the storekeeper's have shotguns!

This game really does reward playing it a ton and just internalizing the movement, the hotboxes and the flow. Have fun!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

paging morningbus ;)

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Just started Tell Me Why, it certainly has potential in the classic DontNod fashion

BUT (and I feel like I'm going to be in the minority on this) I am not liking Tyler as a character so far, he comes across as very confrontational, particularly in the scene with Sam. Sam is certainly antiquated in his way of thinking but still seems to be actually a nice person towards Alyson and Tyler, so the pushback just seemed too hard to me

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and Prodigy

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
So, if a Steam purchase is still Pending after 30 minutes do i leave it or cancel it and try again?
Is it slow because Tuesday? I've logged in to PayPal and my Bank and nothing is odd there.

Heh, shows how infrequently i have issues with Steam these days that a half hour wait has me wondering what's up.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So, if a Steam purchase is still Pending after 30 minutes do i leave it or cancel it and try again?
Is it slow because Tuesday? I've logged in to PayPal and my Bank and nothing is odd there.

Heh, shows how infrequently i have issues with Steam these days that a half hour wait has me wondering what's up.
I personally wait like 4-6 hours and if nothing has happened I cancel.

Haven't had a "pending purchase" in a while though, so not sure what's up.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I know I moan about this kind of stuff way too often, but why are Steam privacy settings so bad?

What's the point of having a single setting for all gaming details when you have so many different things happening on Steam? What if want, say, to have my "currently playing" and new purchases in the feed visible but library and wishlist private?

Plllleeease Gaben

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I know I moan about this kind of stuff way too often, but why are Steam privacy settings so bad?

What's the point of having a single setting for all gaming details when you have so many different things happening on Steam? What if want, say, to have my "currently playing" and new purchases in the feed visible but library and wishlist private?

Plllleeease Gaben
Dont worry, we wont bully you for your anime games

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Let’s live more stronger, fiercely and tougher
Let’s walk straight
The wind is against us
Move, move, move, those with a guilty conscience move aside
Light up the town of riffraff
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come.

:blobyesanime:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Where do I go to propose the idea of a nut reaction? That's right the same type of nut that you see in that Luigi RPG (Super Nut) meme.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
What's a good alternative to Forza Horizon that is available on Steam? F1 games stress me out.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
obvious answer, but burnout paradise. though i imagine anyone that ever wanted to play that game has done so already.
I tried it a few months ago and didn't like it. Also I fucking hate Guns n Roses and having that fucking song come up every time I boot the game makes me want to punch my screen.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I wish Teyon would just come out and say what they're up to.

They've done two notable things in the past day or so. One, they've updated the game from VS2015 to VS2019. Second, they've added a score tracker. Just speculating here, but maybe they're adding some kind of horde/survival mode. That's the context where a Steam-side score variable would make sense, IMO. Those counters are usually used for achievements where you have collect X number of books and stuff like that.

Terminator: Resistance was announced out of the blue on September 20, 2019, on a Friday. We're really close to the year anniversary of the announcement. But that would fall on a Sunday. If they are going to shadowdrop VR support, maybe a new DLC, then maybe this Friday would make sense? Or maybe I'm totally wrong and it's gonna be radio silence for a few months. They've been quietly updating the game on an internal branch every weekday, and sometimes on Saturday since March. Surely whatever they've been cooking up is substantial. And they have two branches. Daily, and VR. Which implies that they're working on VR and something else at the same time.

Regardless...

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I gave BPM - Bullets Per Minute a shot, and oof. After 20 minutes, I'm already leaning hard towards a refund. The soundtrack seems like a banger (at least, the first level's music is fantastic), but the game has a ton of huge problems.
  • The game seems to color itself entirely through a saturation filter. As in, I think it's actually a monochrome game that uses post-processing for colors. Whatever it's doing, it's hideous when you're trying to play. Things sometimes just look too dark or too bright, and trying to track enemies in it hurts my eyes.
  • The minimap shows special rooms and how everything links up, but it doesn't show you what's in normal rooms. There are things like little shrines to get stat boosts, and because of the weird graphics, they can be really hard to see, and the minimap won't help. Worse, there are chests that can be locked, and if you pass them by, you get no indicator of what room they're in if you want to come back later with a key (and they can also sometimes be hard to see).
  • The game lots of tiny enemies, like slugs and wasps. Being small and either low to the ground or flying, they're a pain in the ass to hit, and not very satisfying to kill either (especially the slugs, which despite seeming like popcorn enemies, take 2 shots from the starting pistol).
  • Your gun inexplicably has a maximum range and it's extremely short. 100% of your shots miss if you're like, more than 4 meters away from an enemy. Bear in mind, it's not like the arenas are particularly large with lots of room to run away (although they also mostly seem to lack obstacles, so you get a lot of tedious circle-strafing).
  • The first boss feels like a massive difficulty spike. He zips around the arena a lot, so he's constantly getting outside your maximum range, which is super irritating. He also has some attacks with telegraphs that aren't immediately understandable, which feels like a bad way to jump the difficulty.
So yeah, definitely not feeling it so far. I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow to see if it clicks any better, but my hopes aren't high. It's been a very disappointing experience so far.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
I tried it a few months ago and didn't like it. Also I fucking hate Guns n Roses and having that fucking song come up every time I boot the game makes me want to punch my screen.
fair enough, what parts of horizon were you looking for? the open world or street racing or just less sim style driving?

too bad test drive unlimited isn't on steam, that was a fun one. nfs heat is on there now cause of the ea games moving over, haven't played it though so i can't offer opinions there.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I must be lucky as steam links works for me without any tinkering. Just last night was playing RDO on my phone while at the hospital. It is also pretty cool to turn on my PC from my bed when I wake up in the morning. I also have steam link start into the desktop as well.

I should try parsec but what can it do differently then what I am currently doing? Some of the preconfigs for games are great as well.

Reactions: ISee

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I must be lucky as steam links works for me without any tinkering. Just last night was playing RDO on my phone while at the hospital. It is also pretty cool to turn on my PC from my bed when I wake up in the morning. I also have steam link start into the desktop as well.

I should try parsec but what can it do differently then what I am currently doing? Some of the preconfigs for games are great as well.
Steam Link works fine, but I hate it that you need to pair the controller with your phone to hide the overlays. Otherwise, it will stay there at the edge of the screen as the app needs at least some input and in this case, touch controls. I switch between playing on PC and phone a lot, so pairing it with one device after another constantly is quite a hassle.

Other than that, streaming quality is better too. With Steam Link, I need to idle for a while to eliminate the early buffer artifacts and blocky screens. But with Parsec, the IQ is perfect from the get go. I'm only on a 30mbps network and both apps work great with no noticeable delay.

Streaming is the future, and I can't imagine another dedicated handheld having a chance in the market.

Reactions: ISee

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I am confused as the overlay buttons only show if I am touching my phone. I will try parsec, hope it works outside my LAN as well. I have paired a controller and I am more annoyed that you have to rebind it back to the PC after you're done using it with the phone.

As far as blockiness I only get that if I have to fight in a game like RDO. Games like battle brothers/valkyria chronicles I get literally no artifacting nor blockiness. Only get some when there is fast pace action.

texhnolyze

Last edited:

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
fair enough, what parts of horizon were you looking for? the open world or street racing or just less sim style driving?

too bad test drive unlimited isn't on steam, that was a fun one. nfs heat is on there now cause of the ea games moving over, haven't played it though so i can't offer opinions there.
Yeah the arcade aspect is what I'm looking for.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I know that feeling in regards with Guns N Roses. My brother has been a superfan of GNR since 1988, so I had to listen to them every day for years.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

It looks like Albion is doing fine. I tried the mobile version a few months ago, it was surprisingly decent. It's a hassle to update the app through the website though, so I uninstalled it. When it's launched on Play Store I'll definitely give it another go.

Reactions: Mor and ISee

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So... I want to connect my Switch to my PC monitor (which has no sound) and use my PC speakers with it, while also keeping them connected to my PC.

Will these two do the job?

Amazon productAmazon product
Look like it.

You might have some issues with the audio splitter, when both the PC and switch are on at the same time. Something I use for that purpose is this:
Amazon productIt's more annoying to have to physically switch, but that way you can be sure there is no interference of any kind.

Reactions: Eferis

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What a busy week, today Playstation, tomorrow Nintendo Direct and past-tomorrow, C2077 report :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:

"exclusively from our publishing partners" is not "upcoming Nintendo Switch exclusive titles" ;)

What to expect from here? Monster Hunter Switch (it is exclusive, at the very least for now and don't think that will change in the near future, IIRC this has some * support in case you have any of those)

What would I love from this? No More Heroes HD and Klonoa Encore :cat-heart-blob:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yeah, these two weeks are so exciting:cat-heart-blob:

NISA stream on 17th as well. Not expecting big announcement, but hopefully they will bring over another game to PC.

And then we have TGS next week. There are already a few livestreams announced from publishers like Playism and Kadokawa. Can't wait to see more Japanese games.

• Love
Reactions: Mor

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
NarohDethan I really liked FUEL but it's no longer available :(
I did like Burnout Paradise but hate the Paradise City track after listening to the first 10 seconds every time the game started. I even looked into modding it but nothing worked at the time. It's the one thing that stops me jumping back in and playing again years later. Petty i know but eh.

Off the top of my head i'd say that Test Drive Unlimited Series is a spiritual predecessor to Horizon and i'm sure there's another game too but i can't think of it at the moment.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
FUEL! One of my favorite games last gen. Still have it on Steam but haven't played it lately. It had GFWL integration so I have to wonder if it's still functional. Anyway, I barely played the campaign, used cheats to unlock a bunch of vehicles and just kind of drove around with relaxing music. What an experience. That game's map was so huge for the time. What a fantastic game. Big Smuggler's Run vibes too. I loved playing that game on GCN and just faffing about in different maps.

The Crew (1) is a really solid one of those, imo. I enjoyed it a lot. Cool environments, lots of cars and the handling was not that bad once you tweaked the controls a bit and upgraded your car. Tried getting into TC2, but it's just so fuck ugly that I couldn't be bothered and somehow the handling model got even worse. Utterly weightless bumper cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.