Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
kinda weird...console game pass gets ea play in november (on sx launch day) but pc doesn't get it til december. wonder why, maybe some kind of infrastructure setup thing?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So, uhm. It's a rogue like?
Yes?
kinda weird...console game pass gets ea play in november (on sx launch day) but pc doesn't get it til december. wonder why, maybe some kind of infrastructure setup thing?

Most likely because the windows store backend PC game pass uses is total shit.

There's a reason games on game pass sells gangsbusters on Steam. Tons of people are avoiding windows store at all cost.

Reactions: Tomasety

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
never had an issue with ms store myself, sucks for those who do though. i'm also not one to fiddle with windows components anymore so i wonder if that's related.

also related:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
never had an issue with ms store myself, sucks for those who do though. i'm also not one to fiddle with windows components anymore so i wonder if that's related.

also related:
And of course, a lot of people prefer to own their games. Some games like Crusader Kings 3 are games people will play for years, but will leave game pass after a certain time. Imperator Rome left after 9 months.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Instead of creating a beautiful, automated world in Forager, I'm trying to break the game with droids and base dmg. I'm at 1000 dmg with my sword, and so many droids I can't see my character. The game chugs when I'm fighting 200 enemies, but I want more.

But honestly, I need to knock out some achievements so I can start using mods to get rid of these things. I love when a game lets me break it how I want, but whoo boy.

*The game won't look like this for any normal person

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
So far it's deserved.

Between Spelunky 2, Risk of Rain 2 and Hades, it's been a good year for roguelikes. Haven't bought Rogue Legacy 2 yet so can't say anything about it,
Rogue Legacy 2 doesn't have too much content right now but it's solid.

• Eyes

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Happy to see Ikenfell and Drake Hollow coming to GP. Will try them out.

Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Reactions: QFNS

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Love the profile backgrounds, especially the 3rd and 4th one.

Deleted member 113

Sorry for the random question, but since I need to buy a new phone, and I'm clueless about them, may I ask: if you had to choose a budget phone, which would you select:

-Huawei Y6p (which is around 85€, after using customer points)
-XIAOMI Redmi 9C (which is around 120€)
-Huawei P smart 2019 (which is around 103€, after using customer points)
-Huawei Y5p (which is around €57, after using customer points)?

thanks ;)

• Eyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ok damn, that's a pretty weak laptop.
Can you post specs?
It's a HP 255 G7 with A4-9125/AMD R3/4GB RAM/256GB SSD.

I'll put my Retroarch stuff on it when my pc is fixed (waiting for PSU).

DUSK seems to be just about playable with low spec mode on but I didn't try to plug a mouse to get far, just the intro.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Sorry for the random question, but since I need to buy a new phone, and I'm clueless about them, may I ask: if you had to choose a budget phone, which would you select:

thanks ;)
Try to read about them, some budget phones have ads, like they literally put ads like in the settings and stuff. Also some have adware that you can't uninstall, like Facebook and such. If the price is low there is a reason.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland

thanks ;)
Out of the first 3:
P Smart has the best screen and the best specs, but the worst battery.
Y6p is the only one which has a 4GB RAM version, which assuming you can get that, makes it a decent choice.

~100€ range won't get you anything worthwhile tbh, you're better off buying something used for that money. You'd want at least something similar to Redmi Note 8 Pro if you're buying new, and that'll be ~200€.

Deleted member 113

Try to read about them, some budget phones have ads, like they literally put ads like in the settings and stuff. Also some have adware that you can't uninstall, like Facebook and such. If the price is low there is a reason.
These cheaper ones are after using Vodafone points, which I have a ton of. :)
I believe they don't have ads.

Out of the first 3:
P Smart has the best screen and the best specs, but the worst battery.
Y6p is the only one which has a 4GB RAM version, which assuming you can get that, makes it a decent choice.

~100€ range won't get you anything worthwhile tbh, you're better off buying something used for that money. You'd want at least something similar to Redmi Note 8 Pro if you're buying new, and that'll be ~200€.
I believe the Y6p is a 3GB RAM version.

I'll be honest, I don't want to spend a lot of money (especially since I'll buy 2 phones, one of me, and another for my wife).
I barely make any use of my phone (I make a couple of work calls, and mostly use it as a music player, with the occasional photos of my cat and dog :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).
I'm really not thinking about gaming (I mean, on vacation, I might use it for a few minutes, but I'm not doing any regular gaming).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Sadly, that's the problem with rising budgets, and that continuous "quest" of always wanting more and better graphics, and a lot of spectacle, at the expense of gameplay.
It makes teams risk-averse.

Even Japanese developers, who frequently had some "quirky" games, and outlandish concepts, have mostly become heavily sedated.
With teams increasing in size, and budgets rising, companies are much less likely to try out new ideas and concepts, and go for proven formulas.

This isn't exclusive to the videogames industry (see, for example, the film industry; it's incredible how we have a lot less diversity in genres than we used to have a few decades ago).
I'd argue that this isn't necessarily the way it has to go. It's just that with more money comes more bullshit in terms of management and bean-counters. Star Citizen is a good example of what happens with a lot of money and letting people do their thing with little amounts (if any) of dumb-dumbs at the top. Despite what people on the internet like to say, things are getting very impressive.

I would also point out that the indie/AA industry has found a way around the graphical arms race by aping old graphics, eliciting nostalgia and making art direction decisions that don't leave the player frustrated but instead find another ways than competing with AAA games in the rendering department. Pixel art, PS1-style graphics, now flat shading and things like Falconeer relying on simple vertex shading along with complex and procedural pixel shaders. None of these games leave you frustrated because they play along different expectations that hundreds of millions of dollar-budgeted game didn't get to set.

It's not all bad!

Thank the gods I didn't splurge when I got the game for 5 bucks a week ago. Phew!

Last edited:

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I haven't finished the first Spelunky..guess I should before I get the second one. Tempted as it supposedly has online.

And that is cool about elite d horizons.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

thanks ;)
Out of those, I'd get the Xiaomi. Primarily since their software is more usable in my (limited!!) experience. The Helio SoC is far from a beast, but for normal phone stuff it's easily fast enough. The screen resolution is a bit of a bummer.

I'm not sure exactly where you are, but at least here for very slightly more money (124€, actually) you could get a Xiaomi Redmi 9 (without the C) which has a significantly better screen and significantly faster SoC.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Is Horizons the one that lets you land on planets? If so its a cool addition. That first landing is pretty fun (and a bit stressful!)

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Is Horizons the one that lets you land on planets? If so its a cool addition. That first landing is pretty fun (and a bit stressful!)
It's a collection of expansions including Engineers and Fleet carriers, both of which are both cool and involve a lot of grinding. It also enables landing on atmosphere-less planets. It's probably in preparation for Odyssey's release in 2021. It's a sound move and I won't say no to free stuff :p.

The game is still rather... I don't know, very treadmill-y. It's all about making bars fill up and advancing rather than the experience and journey. I'm still playing it a bit but after 20-odd hours, I'm not all that into it. Also, supercruise has to be one of the most mandatorily boring space sim travel ever. At least others have the decency to let you afk instead of simply throttling up and down.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
It's a collection of expansions including Engineers and Fleet carriers, both of which are both cool and involve a lot of grinding. It also enables landing on atmosphere-less planets. It's probably in preparation for Odyssey's release in 2021. It's a sound move and I won't say no to free stuff :p.

The game is still rather... I don't know, very treadmill-y. It's all about making bars fill up and advancing rather than the experience and journey. I'm still playing it a bit but after 20-odd hours, I'm not all that into it. Also, supercruise has to be one of the most mandatorily boring space sim travel ever. At least others have the decency to let you afk instead of simply throttling up and down.
Yeah i havent played it for quite a while. I enjoyed it for a bit, did some of the community challenges which helped get me some funds to buy a couple of ships. The sound effects always stood out for me. Great noises.

I found playing in VR to be amazing and it was nice when in supercruise to get up and wander around the cockpit looking at the stars.

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah i havent played it for quite a while. I enjoyed it for a bit, did some of the community challenges which helped get me some funds to buy a couple of ships. The sound effects always stood out for me. Great noises.

I found playing in VR to be amazing and it was nice when in supercruise to get up and wander around the cockpit looking at the stars.
The sound design is both really nice, and a tiny bit dated in its implementation now. It's hard to put into words but it isn't as spatial and systemic as I'd like it to be, but the sounds themselves are pretty fantastic. If I had VR, I think it would be a lot more intense and enjoyable, for sure! But I'm not sure that the fundamental issues I have with it would go away. It'd be more of a transformative lease on life.

I think that almost made sense.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

thanks ;)
I don't want to get into much politics, but Trump pretty much banned Huawei from using Google services, which means you can't use Play store to download apps, such as Google maps. I am not sure how banned Huawei is in Europe since I don't have a Huawei phone

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

thanks ;)
Shameless plug for my own thread

I'd buy a Motorola one

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
started playing ab it of Spelunky 2. It feels like a great refresh on a timeless classic. Same Spelunky at its heart, same controls, but it feels a lot more complex. Levels have small caves inside them, there's a lot more variety of things, and best overall, new challenges and areas you don't know by heart.
If you loved the first game, then the second one is an instant-buy. If you didn't, well, don't expect Spelunky 2 to change your mind about this series.

Deleted member 113

I don't want to get into much politics, but Trump pretty much banned Huawei from using Google services, which means you can't use Play store to download apps, such as Google maps. I am not sure how banned Huawei is in Europe since I don't have a Huawei phone
Thanks. ;)
Yeah, only after Durante mentioned the software side of things did I realize that restriction was in place.

Of the phones I posted, 2 are affected (the other is based on a 2019 model, so it has google apps).

Oh well, the prices (after using points) of the 2 cheaper phones were more or less what I wanted to pay (I barely use my phone, so I really can't justify paying hundreds of € for a music player that I sometimes make a call or two), but considering this restriction, I guess I'll have to continue looking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.