Community MetaSteam September 2022 | You were expecting Kingdom Hearts, but it’s me Dio(field)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Typical Square Enix move tho

Launch GAAS game nobody wants --> Nobody buys it --> Let it stay full price so nobody buys into this dead GAAS game --> Close it down.

Why not even try deep discounts??
To be fair though, a bad game that is free or cheap will still be a bad game. That could have maybe bought them a few more months, but then it would have still shut down. Unless they could have turned it around in that time, but to be brutally honest, if they had that ability chances are that it never would have released like that to begin with.

To be honest this all reads like Square Enix never had faith in the game and instead of even trying to turn into a semi-successful GAAS, they decided it was better to treat is a "regular" B2P release, get a few suckers to buy into it at full price and run.
Which is pretty awful too, because those people are now left with literally nothing after barely a year. As a regular non-GAAS release at least it would have still been playable.
But then again, if that were the case they could have still tried to milk it with discounts, so I dunno.
It might be just be Square Enix being Square Enix again. ¯\(ツ)

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021

The game still costs 70€ (or 110€ for some extra costumes) and has microtransactions on top of it (and it only supports 4 languages). With that money I could have bought literally anything else and still be able to play it past 2023 (when it came out in february I wrote I could have bought 2 Elden Rings with that much money and it's still true!). I wish I could be sad but I can't because this game was nothing more than a cynical way to syphon money from hungry Platinum fans. There was no other reason to be a full priced release with battle passes otherwise and I'm glad it crashed and burned

If you pull the rope too much it breaks

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
how is the first game, actually? still planning to get to that one one day
Its fucking horrid and one of the worst JRPG ive ever played.
I've played all Chapter 1's and around half the Chapter 2's.

All chapters follow the same routine. Go to town --> Have some dialogue --> Use gimmick interaction on NPC's --> More dialogue --> Do Dungeon --> More Dialogue --> Next Chapter.

The dungeons are all linear, uninteresting tunnel and they quickly start to reuse assets, so they dont just all feel the same, they also look the same.

All bossfights have the exact same design.
Boss starts with 2 adds, and 1 weakness, when HP -50% he resummons adds and starts chargine a super attack every 3 turns.

They basically just made one chapter, and then have you replay through it over and over again with a different story, and most of the stories aren't even interesting either.

It's beyond me that some people liked the game.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
how is the first game, actually? still planning to get to that one one day
Octopath has a bunch of really annoying issues, my main one is the level design that took a bullet to the face (but then, that applies to all JRPGs of the last twenty years or so) and the characterization and its impact on gameplay: they are actually fairly interesting, but since it's chapter based and there's no interaction between your chars (beyond some lines of dialogue that were shoehorned in as little extras, basically) it feels weirdly lonely and really simplistic, since they... don't do much beyond their original goal. But it also has the nasty effect of locking their primary class and passive, some of them being quite useless later, a really strange decision when you consider how important the class mixing is in the game... and how good it is for the lucky ones that are not hampered by a poor one.
And.... the big problem is long term, that there are far too many chapters that may as well be copy/paste, and since some characters feel a bit samey, you end up doing a lot of busywork more than having a lot of fun.

And it's too bad, because if you can go beyond that, the combat is really, really good and tactical, far more interesting than the burst-or-nothing of the Bravely Default franchise. Music and visuals (beside dungeons looking mostly bland and pretty empty) are great, too. But it's all too often a boring experience more than a bad one... which one could argue is even worse?

In the same vein, the recent Live a Live remake I can only recommend with high praise. It fixed a lot of issues of the original, and the chapters being more contained means it has no pacing issues, far more interactions later, and it's also much shorter, so it ends when it needs to.
The fact that every character has its own chapter with its own rules is also much cooler than rehashing some tropes, Octopath definitely has a lot of that... Live a Live doesn't hesitate to push you to just stealth around... or straight up remove all combat to give you a horror story.

Always weird me out when nearly 30 year old games do far more with far less. Or maybe it should not, once upon a time, JRPG tried stuff. Now they certainly won't.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Its fucking horrid and one of the worst JRPG ive ever played.
I've played all Chapter 1's and around half the Chapter 2's.

All chapters follow the same routine. Go to town --> Have some dialogue --> Use gimmick interaction on NPC's --> More dialogue --> Do Dungeon --> More Dialogue --> Next Chapter.

The dungeons are all linear, uninteresting tunnel and they quickly start to reuse assets, so they dont just all feel the same, they also look the same.

All bossfights have the exact same design.
Boss starts with 2 adds, and 1 weakness, when HP -50% he resummons adds and starts chargine a super attack every 3 turns.

They basically just made one chapter, and then have you replay through it over and over again with a different story, and most of the stories aren't even interesting either.

It's beyond me that some people liked the game.
Octopath has a bunch of really annoying issues, my main one is the level design that took a bullet to the face (but then, that applies to all JRPGs of the last twenty years or so) and the characterization and its impact on gameplay: they are actually fairly interesting, but since it's chapter based and there's no interaction between your chars (beyond some lines of dialogue that were shoehorned in as little extras, basically) it feels weirdly lonely and really simplistic, since they... don't do much beyond their original goal. But it also has the nasty effect of locking their primary class and passive, some of them being quite useless later, a really strange decision when you consider how important the class mixing is in the game... and how good it is for the lucky ones that are not hampered by a poor one.
And.... the big problem is long term, that there are far too many chapters that may as well be copy/paste, and since some characters feel a bit samey, you end up doing a lot of busywork more than having a lot of fun.

And it's too bad, because if you can go beyond that, the combat is really, really good and tactical, far more interesting than the burst-or-nothing of the Bravely Default franchise. Music and visuals (beside dungeons looking mostly bland and pretty empty) are great, too. But it's all too often a boring experience more than a bad one... which one could argue is even worse?

In the same vein, the recent Live a Live remake I can only recommend with high praise. It fixed a lot of issues of the original, and the chapters being more contained means it has no pacing issues, far more interactions later, and it's also much shorter, so it ends when it needs to.
The fact that every character has its own chapter with its own rules is also much cooler than rehashing some tropes, Octopath definitely has a lot of that... Live a Live doesn't hesitate to push you to just stealth around... or straight up remove all combat to give you a horror story.

Always weird me out when nearly 30 year old games do far more with far less. Or maybe it should not, once upon a time, JRPG tried stuff. Now they certainly won't.
Ok, this sounds pretty grim. Removing this from my wishlist then. Life's too short to waste it on a bad JRPG.

• Sad

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The Front Mission remakes look so good, when will you think Square Enix will go with day and date multiplatform releases, 2030? 40?

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
This Direct was alright, nothing special. Glad that we finally got the release date for the new Zelda game.

• Eyes

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Raincode looks great! Looking forward to the PC release!
So far only announced for Switch:

Status
Not open for further replies.