Community MetaSteam | September 2024 - The emperor protects, BOY!

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
143k concurrent for Space Marine 2 is very impressive. Honestly its hard to tell what is a great number and what is a good one.

10 years ago 143k would be incredible for a steam launch but the platform has grown so much since that 143k might be on the low end of success these days. Still tho for a Warhammer game its great.

The only game you can really compare this to is Gears 5 and that was only 9k peak back in 2019 lol but it was a Gamepass game so wtvr. I wonder how well E-Day does. The Coalition has to deliver something good this time.
It's already higher than Deadlock, RE4 Remake and Fall Guys on the list. My guess is they're very happy with this result. Space Marine 1 peaked at 15,653 players.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ubisoft will rather fire half of their staff than releasing their games on Steam @ day one I'm afraid. They will also probably give up on quality AA games after The Lost Crown selling under expectations, instead of making more of these games to re-gain the loyalty of non-casual gamers. Ubisofts leadership sucks.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

I think Gabe can scrounge up enough change from his couch to afford them.
Even if you double that price it would still be worth it for someone to pick them up. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet. Maybe its hard to buy french companies because of some laws or what? It would be a waste for Gabe unless he has some real plans for all the ip and tech that comes with that mess of company.

But someone needs to push a new generation of AssCreed, Division, Far Cry and Watch Dogs. Ghost Recon could use some fresh life too.

The current blueprint for their open world games is so played out and boring. Maybe going private could help but I feel like they would keep fucking it up all the same.

Sony flushed over 3 billion down the toilet with the Bungie purchase. They definitely missed out.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I was wondering why my GPU ran so hot so quickly, trying to find solutions and i just realized for the first time in the 10+ years i own this case, there is a hidden, removable air filter mounted in the cablemanagement space between the outer and the inner wall that had turned into a literaly wall of dust

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

What iv Valve buys them xD
Ubisoft seems like such a huge mess internally to keep running that I doubt Valve has any interest in buying them.

Plus major acquisitions don't really fit what Valve has done in the past. They've only bought a few smaller studios they found very talented and incorporated them into Valve. Ubisoft is massive compared to Valve and couldn't be easily incorporated into Valve.

Reactions: lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Games are just mostly good across the board these days and I think some people, especially of younger age, don't really appreciate it as much as they should. Yes, I know that this sounds like an old man argument but back in the 80s and 90s the odds of you buying a truly bad game were quite high. God help you if you got two games each year, one for Christmas and one for your birthday, and you squandered those choices on some unplayable turd.
Every day I am amazed by how much people take everything for granted.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
My update.

It seems that the iPhone 16 is similar to the Xperia phone. Funny how we went from having 1 lens to having 3+ leans to now going back and only having 2 lens. I think it was the telephoto lens that got removed? Or something. I see people making fun of apple. I have an Xperia phone and whole it can be nice at times it's also a very expensive piece of poop. I hope that apple does a good job with the side thumb button since mine stopped working after 5 months.

In order news, I'm going to make a wild guess and guess that when Astrobot gets released on PC that they will make a special thing as a reference to Portal. Which games got chosen does seem weird. You have persona 3-5 but not 1 and 2. What about SMT 3? I don't know all of the games but I did see some clips that people have shared online. It featuring Song first party titles is nice since those games are at least getting some sort of recognition. I specifically mention Portal since that's the one where Sony and Valve did Steam on PS3. If you bought a physical copy of Portal 2 or PS3 you would get a free copy of the game on Steam.
----------------
I like how people can just see how that would end in disaster.

For those that can't see it. Its basically some dude saying, Elon should buy Valve rather than MS.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I would hope/assume/guess that by now gabe would have plans as to what happens to valve if/when he dies

For some reason my immediate thought is that it would go to it being employee owned over anything else

Anything else doesn't really make any sense to me or at least doesn't make sense as to what valve as a company or game company would actually survive under ignoring the business side of things

Reactions: Alexandros

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Don't really care about length, I'm always complaining about pacing.

That's what matters, and what so many games fail at - both for those giant AAA that you've seen all of in two hours, to shorter indie RPGs that just run out of new mechanics and progression by the midway point (hi Spiders), while including the short term narrative experiences that spend two minutes between every scene for no reason.
As the great tacticians always say:
"Amateurs talk length, professionals study pacing."

• Sweating
Reactions: Line

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Even if you double that price it would still be worth it for someone to pick them up. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet. Maybe its hard to buy french companies because of some laws or what? It would be a waste for Gabe unless he has some real plans for all the ip and tech that comes with that mess of company.

But someone needs to push a new generation of AssCreed, Division, Far Cry and Watch Dogs. Ghost Recon could use some fresh life too.

The current blueprint for their open world games is so played out and boring. Maybe going private could help but I feel like they would keep fucking it up all the same.

Sony flushed over 3 billion down the toilet with the Bungie purchase. They definitely missed out.
They are way too big. They have more employees than ABK. (And don't really make all that much money considering that headcount compared to other gaming companies).

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I would hope/assume/guess that by now gabe would have plans as to what happens to valve if/when he dies

For some reason my immediate thought is that it would go to it being employee owned over anything else

Anything else doesn't really make any sense to me or at least doesn't make sense as to what valve as a company or game company would actually survive under ignoring the business side of things
Valve operates like a co-operative business already, so I really don't see Gabe Newell leaving (he could also just retire the business and live out his twilight years living on his yachts like a privateer in the golden age of piracy) changing much. It's not like Gabe is the one who has all the great ideas and tech knowhow and Valve also does not seem to me like a company that needs or has much in terms of leadership. I mean, given how long they fuck about with stuff (Valve time), I don't imagine they need a boss hovering over them to tell them what to do. While the long-term future of Valve without GabeN is not clear, in the short to middle term (5-10 years), I suspect nothing will change.
Valve has accidentally become an arms supplier i guess
Steam Deck exports should now count as dual-use military tools. So nice to see Valve supporting UAF like this

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

One of the things that stood out to me is how it says that if Gabe died that it would cause a power vacuum in PC gaming ...... Brother it would cause a power vacuum in the gaming industry!!!!!!

I'm not sure if it's because of the whole Sony and MS and what they make in revenue that people just assume that Steam doesn't really matter or something. Valve may not make a lot in revenue but sure makes a lot in profit. And this is not including the money that publishers get.

-;;;;---------------+-

Valve has accidentally become an arms supplier i guess

I'll never understand why this keep popping up. It's every few months that people realize that they have been doing this for well over a year now. But it just keeps popping up.

Also weren't the HTC Vive and the Index used to train military personal in the US? So Valve tech being used for military purposes makes sense.

Also never forget that even Disney themselves are using the Steam Deck at Disneyland to control the BD droids

Reactions: TheTrain

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Hi folks!
I need some metahivemind help deciding what to do with the Monster Hunter bundle on Fanatical

I've never played a MH, but I've always been curious. I guess this bundle is a good value to try them, and I'm considering buying 2 items from it.

However, I don't do multi, and I am not a patient gamer (I played Dark Souls like a hack and slash, which didn't go too well).
The internet suggests that Rise is easier for new players but it looks a bit shite; and that World is slower and more explorative, while Rise is more arcade.

Furthermore, it's unclear to me whether I should go World+Iceborne, or Rise+Sunbreak, or World and Rise, or nothing and play my backlog instead.

Help me Meta, you are my only hope, I guess!

Reactions: lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
However, I don't do multi, and I am not a patient gamer
Hmm, I think MH could not be for you, since these are games that require some patience, depending on equipment, hunts can take upwards to 20+ minutes (especially for a new player).

The gameplay flow completely depends on the weapon type though, since each type plays completely different, it's recommended to spend some time in the training room to get acquainted with each of the types, to be able to pick a type that the player feels more confortable with.

When it comes to multiplayer though, the story modes are completely soloable in both world and rise (monsters HP scales depending on 1, 2 or 3+ players), and at least on world/iceborne (I haven't played rise yet), only a handful of post-game monsters are truly meant for multiplayer.

Between Rise and World, I also hear that Rise is more friendly for new players, with its more arcade like approach? Though I haven't tried it yet.
I do recommend going for either World + Iceborne, or Rise + Sunbreak, since the expansions expand on their original base game's story, but the stories are pretty much not connected between World and Rise (they take place in completely different parts of the world of monster hunter).

Overall, both games are focused on fighting big monsters, and getting loot from them to upgrade equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copons

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Usually I don't like commenting on other forums but I can't stop wondering this time
How did the thread about Oxenfree being removed from Itch on the other place devolved into a discussion about the legality of Steam letting you download delisted games?
Do Gabe's yatch really swim rent free in their heads?

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Hmm, I think MH could not be for you, since these are games that require some patience, depending on equipment, hunts can take upwards to 20+ minutes (especially for a new player).
Thanks for the answer!

I'm ok playing long sessions and the gameplay loop sounds fun to me.
I'm mostly afraid of having to learn the attack patterns of dozens of big beasts, and patiently wait for an opening to strike my carefully trained combo. My combat style is more like mashing buttons, hoping I have enough health potions.

(I mean, it's not literally true, but my fine motor skills are aging very poorly... :D )

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the answer!

I'm ok playing long sessions and the gameplay loop sounds fun to me.
I'm mostly afraid of having to learn the attack patterns of dozens of big beasts, and patiently wait for an opening to strike my carefully trained combo. My combat style is more like mashing buttons, hoping I have enough health potions.

(I mean, it's not literally true, but my fine motor skills are aging very poorly... :D )
Monster Hunter is not button mashy, but it's also not the patiently waiting for an opening type like dark souls. Plus there are options to stun or trap monsters (though the traps get less and less effective during a hunt the more they're used, until the monster gets immune to them).
Some weapon types also have guard or counter abilities.

It's also much less restricted than dark souls when it comes to healing, you can have 10 regular potions, 10 mega potions, at the start of a quest you can also get 4 freebies potions (when solo) from a box, and when picking up herbs in the field, they're crafted automatically into regular potions if you have less than 10.

The biggest restrictions are probably the 50 minutes time limit for each hunt, and the 3 deaths limit (quest fails when either of these are reached).

Mana

Indie & JRPG
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Hi folks!
I need some metahivemind help deciding what to do with the Monster Hunter bundle on Fanatical
My personal opinion is you should get both World and Rise without the DLC since the two series play rather differently. If you enjoy both great! If you like World then the upcoming Wilds might be up your alley as well. If you enjoyed Rise then there most likely another "arcadey" release after Wilds. Since the two series are handled by different teams. You could look at picking up the expansion down the line if you really enjoyed one series as well.

With the attack patterns the nice thing about MH is across games the majority of monster attack patterns are the same. I believe your own moves sort of differ a bit depending on the game since the game will have unique mechanics and moves based on that. The weapon set you choose will also affect your combat style. Greatswords are lean more towards learning attack patterns and looking for openings while Dual Blades for me is just very button mashy.

I do believe MH:Rise has a demo you can check out so you could check that out and decide if you want to commit to one series.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Fuck off
drive an Uber or whatever, go off to find a cheap place to live and go to the beach for a year.
Such a disconnect from reality, incredible how those people that were/are in high position have no idea how mostly of the people are living.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
Mintrocket who developed Dave the Diver was tired hearing about the game not being indie, so they became indie:

Nexon has decided to spin off Mint Rocket, the studio that developed 'Dave the Dive'. Rather than separating it through a physical spin-off, Nexon will invest in an independent corporation established by Mint Rocket developers who will leave Nexon.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I sold my PS5 last week in preparation for this announcement. I knew it was going to be expensive but I really was hoping the rumour of it being discless was incorrect. I have zero interest in building a digital library on PSN so I'll have to buy the disc drive attachment as well. That's annoying.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Funny to see Cerny admitting 30fps = choppy gameplay

Console gamers for the past 30 years in absolute shambles lol.

I mean if you know the gameplay is shit at 30fps why do you even allow devs to target this framerate? Make 60 a mandatory minimum and stop providing gamers with a terrible experience

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
With the disc drive, and VAT, that's basically a 1000 USD console, and way above 1000€ here in Euro land. Not sure who will really pick this up.

Funny to see Cerny admitting 30fps = choppy gameplay

Eh, I think you are being a bit unfair to him. I played BOTW on the Switch, and for the most part it was ok. Nothing amazing, but on a small screen, when it's locked to 30 and the frame times are consistent, it's not a huge issue. Now, blow it up to a huge OLED screen, and yeah, that's painful, but I don't think it's fair to say, and I'm sure Cerny did not mean it, that 30 can never lead to acceptable results under the right circumstances. Plenty of times I lock stuff to 30 on my Deck.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
That Pro price is like 100USD more than I would have ever guessed. The Euro price is even more wow worthy.... good luck on that