Community MetaSteam | September 2024 - The emperor protects, BOY!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Lets not forget about Nippon. At that price it's cheaper to just get. 1TB Steam Deck OLED.

The PS5 price hike was already bad but at this price you may as well put down another ¥100,000 and get your self a good gaming PC that can play games that the PS5 can't since there are still games that will straight up skip the PS5 and have no plans to release on there.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Eh, I think you are being a bit unfair to him. I played BOTW on the Switch, and for the most part it was ok. Nothing amazing, but on a small screen, when it's locked to 30 and the frame times are consistent, it's not a huge issue. Now, blow it up to a huge OLED screen, and yeah, that's painful, but I don't think it's fair to say, and I'm sure Cerny did not mean it, that 30 can never lead to acceptable results under the right circumstances. Plenty of times I lock stuff to 30 on my Deck.
Acceptable doesn't mean good tho. Even with Elden Ring on Deck the difference between 40 vs 30 is day and night. 30 is basically unplayable for long periods of time imo and there are so many similar big action games these days that 30 is just an awful experience at this point outside of selective genres. The fact that these consoles still push 30 is wrong. It should have long been banned internally.

We went from 15 years ago everyone telling us the human eye can't see the difference between 30 and 60...to fast forward to today telling us 30 is a choppy experience so pls spend 700$ on our new console to play games the way they are meant to be played.

Everyone's favorite playstation hardware architect is pretty much saying this so its not even about platform wars anymore. Its straight up negligence. They think choppy experience is okay as long as there are some bells and whistles.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
PCs and consoles have never been closer in this regard though
Until PC is exactly the same in terms of ease of use or better, they will use that as a point towards console. Doing a small amount of work to get a controller to work or whatever is a 'hassle' to people even though the benefit substantial.

That said that's only for the most die hard of console fans and most people will see that and play PC.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yeah the only reason I only play on console is because having a pc is way out of my reach
Well with MS soon being out of the competition, Sony will soon realize they can do whatever the fuck they want. Console game is gonna be more costly than ever very quickly.

Dec 5, 2018
Speaking of sony. They have published their monthly top PSN downloads and I'm kind of surprised that the monkey game was the top selling in both the EU/US (i know the game being 100% digital might make it kind of a flawed metric) but beating Madden in the US seems wild to me.

Well with MS soon being out of the competition, Sony will soon realize they can do whatever the fuck they want. Console game is gonna be more costly than ever very quickly.
Even if Microsoft was in a better position the console would not have been much cheaper, everything was already shooting up in price and the inability to shrink the chips is part of it That doesn't change the fact that the price is wild. i mean there's a reason why the base ps5 and the series X went up in price.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
If world wasn't this f-ed up sure but with many people getting less money Sony won't get much. If I remember correctly PS5 is already tracking behind PS4, there is no price cut to increase sales, there are less big 1st party games... so in my opinion Sony is not in that much better position. We are already seeing consequences of higher prices of Sony products in Japan and how they are switching to PC.

Nintendo in the other hand can f-up Sony big time if they play their cards well with Switch 2. Next year for Christmas choice will be PS5 for 550$ Pro for 700$ or Switch 2 for probably 400-450$.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So Switch2 it is

This could be a big mic drop opportunity moment for Nintendo..

Switch 2...

299.99$

Drop mic

Pack in some game as well and then proceed to mock Sony for the 700$ pro.

They would pretty much have the upper hand over both PS and Xbox for years to come.

And honestly if the Switch 2 is no more powerful than the Deck there is no reason for it to be too expensive at this point.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This could be a big mic drop opportunity moment for Nintendo..

Switch 2...

299.99$

Drop mic

Pack in some game as well and then proceed to mock Sony for the 700$ pro.

They would pretty much have the upper hand over both PS and Xbox for years to come.

And honestly if the Switch 2 is no more powerful than the Deck there is no reason for it to be too expensive at this point.
Given Nintendo, it will not be insanely expensive but it would be insanely cheap either. Back when the Switch released it was using some older tech. Stuff that Nvidia needed to get rid of? Sorry if I'm incorrect in that regard. And while Switch2 won't be state of the art, it's likely that Nvidia wants more money? And well in general the price of stuff has gone up. You also have the whole situation with the Japanese economy.

$400-$450 seems more realistic. Isn't the Switch OLED $350 for crying out loud? They are not pricing that cheap. I say $400 since that's the base price but there may also be an accessory or two that are not included and you have to buy separately, Nintendo have done this in the past. But it was mostly for the DS charger saying there were enough out in the wild and you likely already had one. And it was just $10 more. The OG switch was $300. Switch light was $200. The Switch light didn't include the dick that Nintendo sells stand alone for $80? And you also have less moving parts as well in the Switch light. Also you could say they are designed to be cheaper so that more people will buy them. Nintendo wanted multiple people in a family to own more than one switch. Being $200 makes it an easier sell, seeing how you can get 3 for that household for $600 compared to just 2 regular switches at $600. Also it helps get people to buy the more expensive Nintendo Online family plan. People buying multiples of the same game, since you can't share, this is not the DS with share play. With the DS you only needed one copy of Mario Kart DS for 4 different people to play together.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
Gaben and Nintendo: Thank you

Yeah, I also think Switch 2 will probably be at least 400. Inflation is insane these days. They can totally get away with 500 imo.

Reactions: PC-tan

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Hi folks!
I need some metahivemind help deciding what to do with the Monster Hunter bundle on Fanatical

I've never played a MH, but I've always been curious. I guess this bundle is a good value to try them, and I'm considering buying 2 items from it.

However, I don't do multi, and I am not a patient gamer (I played Dark Souls like a hack and slash, which didn't go too well).
The internet suggests that Rise is easier for new players but it looks a bit shite; and that World is slower and more explorative, while Rise is more arcade.

Furthermore, it's unclear to me whether I should go World+Iceborne, or Rise+Sunbreak, or World and Rise, or nothing and play my backlog instead.

Help me Meta, you are my only hope, I guess!
It's a real shame PC never got that MonHun World demo.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I feel an immense sense of rejection toward Space Marine 2. To the point of feeling bad it is in my Steam library.
Janky, loud, extremely barebone.

The graphics and fan service are on point, but, uh, there is nothing there.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I feel an immense sense of rejection toward Space Marine 2. To the point of feeling bad it is in my Steam library.

I have a different opinion, it is exactly what it needs to be.

• Love
Reactions: hersheyfan

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

This is exactly what the first game was too though. One of the most repetitive games I've ever played, I think the campaign was like 6 hours and I gave up after 2 because it felt like I had already played it for 10 hours.

Gaben and Nintendo: Thank you

Yeah, I also think Switch 2 will probably be at least 400. Inflation is insane these days. They can totally get away with 500 imo.
Nintendo will charge at least $400 and then $70 for base ps4 level games and the public will largely shrug (and their fans online will applaud it). People have long accepted that nintendo can do whatever they want to them and they'll take it, they don't even get mad about it anymore. This is what Sony wants.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Why should Nintendo sell the Switch 2 for cheap? They have no reason to.
It will be a miracle if it's less than 500. Possibly more.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I don't think the Switch 2 will be above $399 as the Steam Deck starts at that price. I know the Steam Deck's sales are minuscule compared to the Switch, but it still isn't a great look.

Any guesses on GoW Ragnarok PC CCU?
Horizon Forbidden West was down about 30% from Zero Dawn. I'll say GoW:R has the same trajectory and peaks at about 50k

Reactions: thekeats1999

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Actually burst out laughing at that 800€ price.
Nintendo about to come crashing out of the gate with that 400€ Switch 2. Most people value portability over graphics these days, with the base PS5 being more expensive than it was at launch and the Pro being even worse value, Nintendo has it easy.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Why should Nintendo sell the Switch 2 for cheap? They have no reason to.
It will be a miracle if it's less than 500. Possibly more.
The only way they do 500$ is if the mobile chip inside is top of the line newish Nvidia tech.

I don't really see Nintendo pursuing that for both availability and assembly reasons.

I think they go after something more midrange and wouldn't surprise me if they settle on around Deck power. Maybe even less for safety and power reasons as they are still gonna treat it like a kids device.

I think under 400$ is a possibility. The long gen for the Switch and numerous delays (going off rumors) means it should be a little cheaper imo.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Not that I had any intention to buy a PS5 Pro but the constantly inflating cost of hardware all round makes me very glad I don't play a great deal of AAA titles anymore.

If things get so expensive to the point I'd have to give them up entirely, at least I'd cope with the huge amount of lower spec games instead.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
The only way they do 500$ is if the mobile chip inside is top of the line newish Nvidia tech.

I don't really see Nintendo pursuing that for both availability and assembly reasons.

I think they go after something more midrange and wouldn't surprise me if they settle on around Deck power. Maybe even less for safety and power reasons as they are still gonna treat it like a kids device.

I think under 400$ is a possibility. The long gen for the Switch and numerous delays (going off rumors) means it should be a little cheaper imo.
I think rumors point to slightly above PS4 level performance, with dlss and some ray tracing capabilities, courtesy of Nvidia's hardware.
My money is on 400€.