Community MetaSteam | September 2024 - The emperor protects, BOY!

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! TioChuck is giving away 12 gift(s).

This is a first-come, first-served giveaway. Once you enter, your key will be delivered to you instantly via a PM.

Some Twitch Prime GOG keys, I don't think they are region locked. :shrugblob:

The following games are being given away:

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Space Marine 2 getting kind of impressive CCU in expensive edition access.

Also Astro bot getting kind of wild reviews, I expected it would do well but not 95 open critic well.
I'm sure the game is good on its own too but at the same time the nostalgia play must be a huge boost in general for the generation that actually reviews games these days.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I'm somewhere in the middle of Nine Sols and I'm liking it so far. One negative is there's just a lot of yapping. I figured a game that was so heavily action based wouldn't have so many breaks, but it does. One positive is that the manga cutscenes are pretty sick. I'm finding it funny that I'm having more trouble with some mid-bosses than actual bosses.

I'm surprised by the overwhelmingly positive on Steam. Not that it doesn't deserve it, but most players haven't even beaten the 3rd boss. You'd usually see people complaining about difficulty, but I guess people finally recognize their own limitations.

There's something about the level design that feels real good. I can't really pinpoint it, but it feels satisfying to clear out an area.

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Predictions on how well Astro Bot will do? People are very excited for the game, Sony is doing a big marketing push for the game. And the devs said they would be interested in releasing it on PC in the future.
Should be a no brainer for Sony, really, It's a good way to promote their ongoing scam that is the dualsense for PC if nothing else. Maybe we'll get an wireless dongle to go with it as well if they wanna try a bit. So we don't have to rely on ass bluetooth connection.

More of the great game! Can't wait.
Can't believe my GOTY so far is a Ubisoft game but here we are.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Space Marine 2 getting kind of impressive CCU in expensive edition access.

Also Astro bot getting kind of wild reviews, I expected it would do well but not 95 open critic well.
I'm sure the game is good on its own too but at the same time the nostalgia play must be a huge boost in general for the generation that actually reviews games these days.
From what I've seen the merit lies entirely with the game itself. It's really that good.

Reactions: lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Oh Caravan SandWitch is out this month too. I really hope that it works well on Deck because it looks like another perfect game to play it there and chill out.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
This is such a brutal video. I love it.

Wow I didn't even know about that Variant feature they were doing.

They really wanted to treat characters in a hero shooter like they were guns in Borderlands wtf.

That's gotta be the dumbest and laziest game design ever for an fps game.

• This!
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
You don't need Epic's ok launcher for EOS afaik. Is this new?
EOS is a library/toolchain that is installed when a game that needs is installed, some games also merely have some .dll s so not even anything being installed outside the game. It's not the EGS, and no, you will not need the app to launch those game. The game is already out on Steam for some people and people would go ballistic (rightfully so) if this needed the EGS app

Reactions: LEANIJA

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

RPG Site: With Steam enabling a lot creative initiatives these days, it wasn’t that long ago that Steam rose in popularity over in Japan. Even 15 years ago, Steam wasn’t all that well-known over there compared to now. What do you believe is either the milestone or key moment that really allowed Steam to proliferate its presence throughout Japan? Is it moreso a key title or a shift in the industry, such as Nintendo no longer having a dedicated handheld system?

Mizutani: I feel that one of the reasons Steam proliferated in Japan was with the help of streamers and content creators. They made their way to Japan and a lot of people started to stream themselves in Japan. To me, that helped the growth of Steam there.

Then in 2020, the COVID pandemic hit. During this time, consoles like Xbox and PlayStation were very hard to get in Japan. But PCs were widely available. A lot of people who wanted to get into games turned to PCs, as a result. That helped the growth of Steam in Japan, too.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Not wrong and as a result, what already was a solid support from their companies to the platform, grew in numbers making it the platform to go for when it comes to Japanese titles alongside Switch. I would also argue that handheld PC's helped a bit there.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just picked up Astro Bot at retail (got it 20% cheaper than buying it digital). However this month will be quickly fully packed with stuff to play.

Also just started Shadow Gambit on Steam which is so far really good.

Cacher

MetaMember
Jun 3, 2020
I watched Concord trailer after the reveal but didn't know the existence of Fairgame$ before the whole Concord incident. Both of them share very similar traits, and I think the best description is that both look like fake videogames that appear in movies or drama. They tried so hard to be "cool" or "stylish" or "unreal" which probably fit the imagery of videogames in the brains of executives who know nothing about, you know, actually being cool.

A related topic. How to be cool though? What makes a trailer impactful? There are tons of great examples in videogame history but one personal favorite in recent years is the Blade reveal trailer.

Arkane did a great demonstration on how to introduce your hero. Builds up the tension. Makes audience curious. Then, introduces the hero who has no fear in face of danger. After watching the trailer, I firmly believe that there are many people out there who can't wait to become Blade. Meanwhile, I seriously doubt there were people who wanted to be this random dude shooting stuff in Concord.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Wow I didn't even know about that Variant feature they were doing.

They really wanted to treat characters in a hero shooter like they were guns in Borderlands wtf.

That's gotta be the dumbest and laziest game design ever for an fps game.
The worst part is that its not even lazyness, the variant system plays into a weird fucking deck building system they have for heroes. You can't just pick a character and a loadout, you have to assemble a deck of characters with a lot of weird limitations that plays into the unique mode the game has and forces you to pick different characters and limits what you can pick (for example, the game had 16 playable characters but you could only have a maximum of 12 at your disposal at any given time due to the deck shit).

They made a point to make some aggressively convoluted shit that actively plays against stuff that people who play these sort of games enjoy - like being able to one trick a character. It is mind boggingly stupid.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Not wrong and as a result, what already was a solid support from their companies to the platform, grew in numbers making it the platform to go for when it comes to Japanese titles alongside Switch. I would also argue that handheld PC's helped a bit there.
Playism is a big supporter of Steam. I can't remember how long ago they made the jump through. Previously they had their own store that they were selling games on, but that has since long closed down. They are a big supporter of indie games in Japan. WSS I view as a "newer" version of Playism and they publish/work on a lot of cool games. I can't recall their connection though. I think WSS had a game or two published by Playism and then WSS started to publish their own stuff and the stuff of others.

Was it in 2015 when Steam added the yen, and the in 2017 you had PUBG that became popular in Japan. Vtuber came a few years later and then Covid happened.

On a somehow related not. I saw something about how years ago people said "oh the Steam Deck is the Switch killer" but in reality the Steam Deck (and I guess Steam as well) is the PS5 killer. In places like Japan the Steam Deck cost more than a PS5, but now the PS5 is more expensive than the Steam Deck. So not sure what the future holds for it, since the economy in Japan isn't doing good and that's why they had to raise the price of the PS5. People income isn't really increasing is it?

I think it was the president of WSS that says he was profiting off Japan not doing so well. Steam pays in USD and not in yen. Or something like that and there for when he converts it back to yen he gets a lot more money or something like that.
The worst part is that its not even lazyness, the variant system plays into a weird fucking deck building system they have for heroes. You can't just pick a character and a loadout, you have to assemble a deck of characters with a lot of weird limitations that plays into the unique mode the game has and forces you to pick different characters and limits what you can pick (for example, the game had 16 playable characters but you could only have a maximum of 12 at your disposal at any given time due to the deck shit).

They made a point to make some aggressively convoluted shit that actively plays against stuff that people who play these sort of games enjoy - like being able to one trick a character. It is mind boggingly stupid.
That's even worse, I heard about the character limitation but didn't know about a Deck building element. I hope that at some point some one from their dev team is able to discuss the design philosophy behind all of that.

Reactions: thekeats1999

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
People are dumb. Another example, people were saying something about Sony being so desperate about Concord that there forcing those devs to do PR for the game and guess what Atsro Bot is out and they are doing it again once more. Just something I found funny

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
A related topic. How to be cool though? What makes a trailer impactful?
Have cool people doing cool things, it's just that simple in my opinion. I vividly remember watching the Concord and Fairgames trailers and thinking "all of the protagonists seem like huge dorks, I don't want to play as them".

There is one sure way to make everyone hate your characters: model them after Gen Z know-it-all sarcastic californian hipster teens and young adults. Nobody likes those douchebags. The last Saints Row had such a cast and bombed spectacularly.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
There is one sure way to make everyone hate your characters: model them after Gen Z know-it-all sarcastic californian hipster teens and young adults. Nobody likes those douchebags. The last Saints Row had such a cast and bombed spectacularly.
Watch Dogs 2 had the same kind of protagonists. Unlikable and insufferable people with no life experience thinking that crime is the solution to their perceived problems. It's especially ironic when a for profit corporation is trying to sell you a fantasy of stealing from a for profit corporation in the hope of making a profit.

The reason the Robin Hood story works is because it's core foundational principle is a sense of justice. It is not driven by jealousy or entitlement.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
A related topic. How to be cool though? What makes a trailer impactful? There are tons of great examples in videogame history but one personal favorite in recent years is the Blade reveal trailer.
Maybe it's cheating cause selling characters is their business, but I'm a fan of the Hoyo character trailers. Short stories with great music and animation that make you interested. Some are cool, some are trippy, some are funny, etc.
And with every new game release, there is more cool animated stuff :evilblob:

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
I'm sure if you count them there are way more mistakes in total, but for me the biggest one Timmy did with the EGS is and will always be ignoring the growing asian market. Almost all eggclusives were western, and the few that came from the east were made by the western publishers (or japanese publishers with big western presence like SE). If you had even a passing interest in asian devs you had no reason to even look at the EGS, and the current attempt at bringing some back catalogue there is honestly too little and too late
Steam is the defacto place you go if you like animeasian games

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
Maybe it's cheating cause selling characters is their business, but I'm a fan of the Hoyo character trailers. Short stories with great music and animation that make you interested. Some are cool, some are trippy, some are funny, etc.
And with every new game release, there is more cool animated stuff :evilblob:
Sparkle's trailer is by far my favourite they ever released, that said I also like a lot Boothill's, although I didn't pull for him.

So I'm gonna post it!

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
This is such a brutal video. I love it.
The way he said at the end "We are the dipshits!" made me LOL. LMAO, even.
I share his opinion towards Fairgame$. And looking at the like dislike ratio on the trailer...I will be shocked if it isn't another Concord.

• Toucan
Reactions: Cacher

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

He's right

Watch Dogs 2 had the same kind of protagonists. Unlikable and insufferable people with no life experience thinking that crime is the solution to their perceived problems. It's especially ironic when a for profit corporation is trying to sell you a fantasy of stealing from a for profit corporation in the hope of making a profit.

The reason the Robin Hood story works is because it's core foundational principle is a sense of justice. It is not driven by jealousy or entitlement.
Yet, WD 2 is the only good one

Reactions: lashman and Arc

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Ehh, for adults fundamentally yes, but I still vividly remember the sting I felt as a kid when I got a new game for Christmas or my birthday and I finished it in an afternoon. Games cost a lot of money and they become an even harder sell when you can play a f2p game for hundreds of hours without paying.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Ehh, for adults fundamentally yes, but I still vividly remember the sting I felt as a kid when I got a new game for Christmas or my birthday and I finished it in an afternoon. Games cost a lot of money and they become an even harder sell when you can play a f2p game for hundreds of hours without paying.
Back in the day I replayed games a lot. One thing I dislike about how big games are nowadays is that replays are extremely difficult to get through. I replayed Ocarina of Time probably 30 times but will never replay Tears of the Kingdom.

If Astro-Bot is only 12-15 hours long I can bust it out ever few years and replay it which I appreciate.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Jordan said it best

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So glasses wearing people here, I finally got to that age when I got prescribed reading glasses. They are meant to be used when reading or on the phone... BUT they kind of work when sitting on the computer also, I still see just fine without, but glasses make it just slightly more sharp, so wearing them when on the computer bad idea?

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So glasses wearing people here, I finally got to that age when I got prescribed reading glasses. They are meant to be used when reading or on the phone... BUT they kind of work when sitting on the computer also, I still see just fine without, but glasses make it just slightly more sharp, so wearing them when on the computer bad idea?
If they are reading glasses for your phone, yeah it's fine to use. I mean it should be! :cold-sweat:
Just try and see if it gives you some eye strain, I know some people that can't really do that and just get closer to the screen, but then they have very severe vision issues...

Note that there are special glasses made for screen use, they're supposed to limit the amount of blue light you receive and help your eyes get less tired... it sounds like quackery to me and the studies are inconclusive, maybe it's placebo, maybe not.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Do you get headaches when wearing them when doing computer work? If not keep them on. I am nearsighted, if I don't wear my glasses when I am at the computer I get some really annoying headaches at the end of the day.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I wear glasses all the time. But I definitely advise taking them off if your eyes start feeling tired.

Also highly recommend taking breaks from short range work to look far away every so often. Out a window or down a long hallway or something just to give your eyes a break.