Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ok, so after some confusing minutes I think I understand how to add you.
"Make a private PF, ask your friends to join, add them from your contacts list when they do."

I mean I understand the theory, but I don't know how to do that. Can't you make things any more needlessly convoluted SE ?

The good news is you are on Twintania and me on Zodiark, same datacenter.

edit
I have created an inter server linkshell (Light), ' Meta-EU ' for any euros wanting to chat.
It, doesn't appear in linkshell search, because reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Might be a server/world thing but I can say from my experience nearly every dungeon I've ran has people happily greeting me with "A newbie, yay!" and offering advice and generally being way too friendly in an unexpected way. Also, just tell them you're new if it's silent when you join. I've done that ever since my first MMO and it tends to smooth things out.

The first few dungeons are largely risk-free by design, too.

And lastly, while you won't need it for the first dungeons (not until the mansion dungeon around level ~35? Haukke Manor?) just be aware that using your Return spell, the one you use to return to your home crystal you set, is used in dungeons to return to the beginning of the dungeon. I know I'm not the only one to not know that and suddenly the rest of the party disappears without there being anything to click on to teleport. That's why. In the dungeon I mentioned it's quicker to go back to the start near the end of the dungeon to fight the last boss.

And don't be surprised if half the dungeons you run you have a tank that just keeps running and grabs 15 enemies at a time before stopping to AOE everything down. Just keep following until they stop. Be cautious if you attack as you run along that you don't pull enemies off of the tank, though. Or at least be prepared if you do.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm hoping to end up a WHM Main so i'm more concerned about keeping everyone up when the Tank overpulls, because they will, they're Tanks!
I'm used to DPS, DPS, DPS, HEAL! etc so i will be contributing and i have my party sort set so the tank is P2 so they're easy to keep an eye on.

I've also had experience of pulling aggro off a tank with both my THM and my WHM when casting. Luckily the Tank was like "Nope! get back over here, matey!" and pulled them back damned quickly after that. Luckily they've both been low level FATES so even my THM could've tanked the hits... but i'd rather not! THM is squishy! My THM was about to get clobbered during a FATE when a TON of Roselets spawned all around me and as i ran i picked up more! Luckily a WHM turned up with a group of people, cured me and then we both went around kicking ass and it was great. I've also done the same as my CNJ so yeah, can't wait to get 30 and become a real WHM with the fancy wardrobe!

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Li Kao Yeah, I'm on Twintania the new EU Light server. I like it and i think people are gradually settling in. As for the Dungeons, yeah, my anxiety has been made worse by my watching videos of people using ACT and getting anal about 1% DPS etc. I really need to find some more newbie friendly and encouraging videos to watch! I know FFXIV Community is not as crappy as some other games but it's still a big step for me being so new to MMOs. I'd definitely take up your offer of help, Li Kao if it's convenient!

If there are other MC FFXIV players who'd like to group up and help a newbie CNJ/THM/ARC through an/some early dungeons to get my confidence up then i'd be really grateful. I'm nearing level 30 on my 3 jobs so far but my MSQ is stalled at level 15. It's difficult to get out of the SP Solo mindset even though i do tons of FATES. I'm sure it'll be fine but that first step is daunting...
As a new player as well, I found the early dungeons to be fairly accessible, so far I've received 20 commendations from other players too (while playing as different classes). ^^

Yesterday I played the lvl 20 and 24 dungeons for the first time (and repeated the lvl 20 one a bunch of times to level up a bunch of classes), most runs went well, other than part of the party getting a bit lost in the lvl 24 dungeon, and me dying once as a tank in the lvl 20 dungeon (I guess the healer in the party was distracted, and I failed to use a potion in time).

I'm in the new server from the EU Chaos datacenter though, so unfortunately I can't help you out. :x

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Tanked Halatali today.
Big knight with big sword prepare special attack.
Me: ‘my boy I will counter you so bad’.
Too slow, one shot, I’m half convinced the knight died laughing.

Speaking about difficulty spike, I would vote for, if memory serves, the fucking boss from Thousand Maws.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Tanked Halatali today.
Big knight with big sword prepare special attack.
Me: ‘my boy I will counter you so bad’.
Too slow, one shot, I’m half convinced the knight died laughing.

Speaking about difficulty spike, I would vote for, if memory serves, the fucking boss from Thousand Maws.
Thousand Maws is one of the dungeons I ran for the first time yesterday, other than getting a bit lost with a few party members during one part, it went well (I went as an archer).

@EdwardTivrusky:
One thing about dungeons that took me a while to figure out, at the end of a dungeon (right after beating the dungeon's boss), click on the notification for commendations in the bottom right part of the screen to give a commendation to one of the party members (party members often leave quickly after beating the boss, so it's a good idea to do it right after the boss).

On another note, you can skip cutscenes in dungeons without worrying about missing out, you can view the cutscenes again in an inn (though story related cutscenes can only be reviewed after finishing the quest they belong to).

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
On another note, you can skip cutscenes in dungeons without worrying about missing out, you can view the cutscenes again in an inn (though story related cutscenes can only be reviewed after finishing the quest they belong to).
I'm kind of amazed nobody has ever mentioned this, especially when I've apologized for watching a long cutscene. Most everyone is like "No problem, it happens!"

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Li Kao Thanks! I've done the Heal/DPS Hall of Novice training missions, done a ton of FATES, loads of Leves, have 10 minions and got 3 classes to late 20s so i have been playing... just not the dungeons! I know i just have to suck it up and go for it and it was easy to avoid tackling before but now i have the classes i really want i can't duck out of Sastasha by starting another job. I mean, i started Arcanist on Saturday and took it to 26 over the weekend rather than spending 30 minutes getting the MSQ dungeon out of the way! No excuses this time, i have to get on with it.

... and yeah, i do expect to be teamed with some morons and have to learn to let it go as it seems that isn't the norm and most people are fine. Just part of learning an MMO and playing with others.
Yeah, starting your first dungeon can be a monumental task, especially with randoms. I suggest you join a linkshell or free company and ask them to run the dungeon(s) with you, but it'd take a way longer time than running them with randoms. And yes, Satasha is just one of the three dungeon runs you need to do in that main story quest chain. I'd say just go for it, they're starter dungeons and pretty easy. The devs have nerved them too since a long time ago, dungeons are now much easier than ever before.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Thousand Maws is one of the dungeons I ran for the first time yesterday, other than getting a bit lost with a few party members during one part, it went well (I went as an archer).

@EdwardTivrusky:
One thing about dungeons that took me a while to figure out, at the end of a dungeon (right after beating the dungeon's boss), click on the notification for commendations in the bottom right part of the screen to give a commendation to one of the party members (party members often leave quickly after beating the boss, so it's a good idea to do it right after the boss).

This seemed wrong somewhere and just for the record, I think I remembered wrong, I meant Brayflox's Longstop.
The fucking puddles of goo.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
This seemed wrong somewhere and just for the record, I think I remembered wrong, I meant Brayflox's Longstop.
The fucking puddles of goo.
Ah.
I haven't reached that far yet, currently finishing the lvl 25 class quests and then going to continue through the MSQs (close to finishing the Little Solace Sylphs quests).

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
For something different, I played a bit of the beta of Astellia online.

And... yeah, it's kinda "old school" (I.E: not at all, it's a WoW-clone) with tab target, quests and dungeons... it's very, very bland. It does look quite good, but performance isn't really there (could be worse though, it's UE3 and not one UE3 MMO can even claim to have decent performance, or even manage to be playable with more than 5 players on screen - hi Blade&Soul, how people never slammed you for being the Switch port of MMOs is beyond me); it's only saving grace are the battle pets that you can get.

There's quite a few of them, they do look very nice, and can fill up for the roles that you might be missing - you can even have multiple ones for a time, and just carrying them around gives you buffs, there's a little strategy involved as their passives combo with the ones from others.
Definitely way above the catch'em all aspect of something like Bless Online.

Beyond that though... you don't see gear on your character, only the main outfit and the weapon, there's veeery few of them; there's a lot of voice acting which is... meh, but always welcome, as well as a lot of cut scenes and even CGI movies.
Kinda odd, but the productions values are pretty solid.
Too bad that it doesn't help a very trite quest design, and incredibly boring gameplay.

The combat is just bad.
It's slow, not very responsive, filled to the brim with animation locks (and apparently they already removed a lot of them and shortened after casts!), including melee classes... which are arguably even slower and more rooted than the casters, as your main damaging combo in 3 hits locks in place and is a longer cast time in total than a mage's fireball.
You just aggro one mob at a time (there's no packs as far as I can see, anything can be separated which is rather strange in dungeons), fairly slowly take it down while your pet/allies tank and heal while avoiding the occasional AoE. Oh and bosses take aaaages.

It does not feel good, it's just another me too WoW clone 15 years too late.
But hey, bad combat, 2004 quest design and extreme repetition is all the rage in the MMO genre right now... cough cough Final Fantasy XIV

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
It’s unfortunate that it’s about a bad game but at the same time I think it’s cool to read about something else than FF14 in this thread. The MMO genre is clearly dying but there is still enough diversity in the offering to have other games discussed here.

On a related note, I often wonder these days if SE will try to make another MMO. They are the last big dev interested in the genre and finding clear success, but still... Blizzard seems inexplicably out, Zenimax has transitioned to GAAS, I find SE case to be the most intriguing.

Not that I would mind seeing a GAAS Final Fantasy as, as controversial as it would seem at first, it appears to me as the logical evolution of MMO. The general audience has shown that it clearly wants to play alongside other people, not with, and it is not bothered with the Massively part being toned down.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
If they make another MMO (and they kinda are, with FFXI), it will be on mobile.
Their mobile games make far more money than their MMOs, and the costs are like night and day. You don't need hundreds of employees and huge production costs to make mobile oriented games, and they bring the cash when you have an IP like Final Fantasy.

It's pretty obvious why MMOs died and were replaced by GAAS and hub grinders, it's much less expensive, and much easier to make (it's not like you can use your usual Unreal Engine or Unity to make MMO worlds - lots of Korean games paid for doing so dearly).
And as you say, people don't really give a shit about the social aspects anymore, they just wait in their capital for their automated LFG tool to complete their daily instance in 20 minutes...

Minecraft pretty much ate what was left of the more sandbox design in MMOs anyway.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Unlocked my first job in FFXIV, Bard.
All my other classes are at 28, next time I'll play I'm intending to run the lvl 28 dungeon with each class to reach 30 and then unlock each job.

Also while doing the last Archer quest, I found this line funny taking into consideration my char's wearing glasses:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Ha, i finally had an invite to the "Novice Network" and managed to filter it off to it's own tab and help someone else do the same. Why it's not it's own tab by default is not helpful. Most people left the network because it was dominating their general chat but it actually seems like a decent channel compared to the horror stories i've heard about other servers. I suppose it's because our server is new.

Played about with DXTory and realised that playing a game at 2560x1440p@72 fps while trying to record at the same rate leads to stutter. lol, i'll try 720p tonight as that'll be good enough for me.

ezodagrom I liked the part where, for me Miounne, was talking about "amusing" adventurer names and comments "Moon Yaraon, ... are you quite sure that's not an amusing alias?" and i wanted to reply "Your game bloody suggested it! So it's lore appropriate!" then give her some side-eye.

Reactions: ezodagrom

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Ha, i finally had an invite to the "Novice Network" and managed to filter it off to it's own tab and help someone else do the same. Why it's not it's own tab by default is not helpful. Most people left the network because it was dominating their general chat but it actually seems like a decent channel compared to the horror stories i've heard about other servers. I suppose it's because our server is new.

Played about with DXTory and realised that playing a game at 2560x1440p@72 fps while trying to record at the same rate leads to stutter. lol, i'll try 720p tonight as that'll be good enough for me.

ezodagrom I liked the part where, for me Miounne, was talking about "amusing" adventurer names and comments "Moon Yaraon, ... are you quite sure that's not an amusing alias?" and i wanted to reply "Your game bloody suggested it! So it's lore appropriate!" then give her some side-eye.
xD

When it comes to video recording, if you have an NVidia GPU, try using shadowplay instead, it needs alot less resources than dxtory and the quality is still pretty decent.
I haven't had an AMD card in years though, so I dunno what is AMD's equivalent of shadowplay.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
xD

When it comes to video recording, if you have an NVidia GPU, try using shadowplay instead, it needs alot less resources than dxtory and the quality is still pretty decent.
I haven't had an AMD card in years though, so I dunno what is AMD's equivalent of shadowplay.
AMD has ReLive but I cant vouch for its quality because I dont record gameplay.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks! I have an RTX 2070 so I'll definitely look into NVidia ShadowPlay or NVidia Share i think they call it now. It does depend on whether i have to install the "GeForce Experience" though.

I don't need much functionality but i used DXTory because of the timed interval screen-shot function which is great fun, i just need to work out the intervals properly so it looks decently time-lapsed. I was dancing on the bow-sprit of the ship in Limsa again last night. Tonight i'm planning on dancing by the bloke dangling above the door.

Oh and Sastasha, i went fishing last night instead lol and moaned about Fishing RNG in the Novice Network lol

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Thanks! I have an RTX 2070 so I'll definitely look into NVidia ShadowPlay or NVidia Share i think they call it now. It does depend on whether i have to install the "GeForce Experience" though.

I don't need much functionality but i used DXTory because of the timed interval screen-shot function which is great fun, i just need to work out the intervals properly so it looks decently time-lapsed. I was dancing on the bow-sprit of the ship in Limsa again last night. Tonight i'm planning on dancing by the bloke dangling above the door.

Oh and Sastasha, i went fishing last night instead lol and moaned about Fishing RNG in the Novice Network lol
Yeah, Geforce Experience is needed for shadowplay, but as long as you disable ansel and turn off notifications other than the recording ones, geforce experience doesn't really get in the way.
(Disabling ansel: Program Files -> NVIDIA Corporation -> Ansel -> Tools -> NvCameraConfiguration, and set the Ansel Status at the bottom to disable, may have to do this each time you update drivers, unless you save a profile with nvidia inspector and load that profile after driver updates).

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Isn't Ansel the thing that allows you to take fancy-pants screenshots though?
Does it not work with FFXIV?

Oh, log in to MogStation! I sent a Follow request as that seems like a bookmark so we can add each other as friends somehow.
I may make a new character on Chaos too at some point.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Isn't Ansel the thing that allows you to take fancy-pants screenshots though?
Does it not work with FFXIV?
Yeah, but since ansel is something that is injected into games, it could either cause problems by itself (something like crashing on startup?) or when there's other tools being injected into games (RTSS, ReShade, SpecialK).
Apparently Ansel injects itself into games even if they don't support it (it doesn't do anything in those but it still injects itself into them), so to be on the safe side I just keep it off.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Nice, 17 years though! Wow, Happy Vana'versary FFXI players. I didn't have reliable internet for years or i would have tried it out at some point.

Had an eventful evening in Eorzea last night.
Did Sastasha with no problems, just burnt through it, hit 30 on my CNJ midway through as i predicted, a Mentor in the group congratulated me and reminded me to do my job quest, everyone left by the time i had read the commendation info just as i was told would happen, didn't take any loot as it was all War stuff.

Queued for the next dungeon and it seems Tanks are in short supply! Left the queue after 45 minutes of emoting about with people in long duty queues too and curing this level 6 guy fighting level 13 skellies, naked.

Went and got my Pointy Horse or Unicorn to other people! ... but i can't ride it because i'm not high enough level MSQ so that's what i'll focus on this evening.

I've accidentally joined an FC or the creator hasn't kicked us out yet which is odd. I checked them out and unfortunately it's not Anime! but it is a Japanese Fantasy Rock Opera Band called "Sound Horizon", dunno if i'll leave or stick around yet.

They may have done some work for familiar games ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and Arsene

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Well with the release of WoW classic coming soon, I played a bit of Vanilla WoW.
And I like it.
It's slow and some classes are super trash early on, but it's nice to see some real difficulty. You can die against two monsters, crazy. And groupe quests! What is this sorcery?
The quest design itself is nothing interesting, but it's more of a means to an end, exploring little dungeons and areas while you're killing stuff and trying to find items. And finding a chest is so rewarding, with large upgrades to equip or one for one of your friends (it helps to have friends in levelling that's for sure).

I do miss a game that's not completely braindead, and that actually intends player to do things together rather than just rush to endgame to wait for the automated LFG system.
MMOs were cool, once.

I kinda love that's it stuck in Vanilla too, so unique items have value, you're looking for them, and there's a cap to what you can have.
Instead of trashing everything for the next pointless stat stick that is just another copy/paste.

Reactions: Routa

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
I do miss a game that's not completely braindead, and that actually intends player to do things together rather than just rush to endgame to wait for the automated LFG system.
This is the main thing I miss from MMOs, where it felt like your server had that unique community: PvP rivalries, those geared out players you saw that you always remembered by name, player reputation.

One of my best pals from WoW was made during Deadmines. Compared to me leveling characters in MoP, where they might as well have been bots and I couldn't tell the difference.

It has felt like the world has died a bit, and I'm more in a matchmaking lobby

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I have been playing some Anarchy Online a bit again (my favorite MMO ever).
Boy that game feels oooold but also boy is it awesome. I wish funcom would not be so bad about maintaining it. They are currently testing a NPE and it's okay. They never ever will fix the new engine client tho, sadly.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Each passing day I love this community a little more.
That's all I wanted to say.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Bwah ha ha ha ha! I've been Skinny-Dipping in Shiva's Lavender Beds! Too much fun!

edit: The pictures have been cropped and resized so they may look a bit fuzzy but eh, whatever.

Last edited:

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
How's the state of GW2? Gosh I played a lot of Guild Wars and was so hyped, but I never actually played 2.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
How's the state of GW2? Gosh I played a lot of Guild Wars and was so hyped, but I never actually played 2.
It still lives and getting updates.

The last time I logged in to the game was a couple of months ago. Cities were still sprawling with players.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It gets its "Living story" updates every quarter or so.
It focuses almost entirely on new open world maps and story (the last season ended recently, it was alright I guess, it does have cool cut scenes and it's all voice acted), with a raid and a fractal dungeon once in a while... like twice a year?

It's pretty much the last MMO that feels like an MMO, with meta events and mostly informal, open world groupe content. Instances are certainly played, but it's a lot less popular (and more elitist).
But the game always suffered from bad rewards with absurd loot tables that meant you never got anything of value. Now you do get map currencies and you can buy armor sets and stuff, raids and fractals do have half decent loot tables, but it often feels like a grind for gold to buy the crazy rare stuff.

However from the first expansion onward they added collections, it's kinda like quest chains where you have to complete all the objectives for a reward, some are very flat (get all X skins for another extra one), some are very good (legendary collections, mount collections to raise them from the ground up). They should have expanded on that...

PvP is another story, the lack of updates and crazy balance patches (which are fairly fast at least) make it very unstable, not very fun and it's definitely the weakest part.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Really? It's Tanks that have been in short supply on my server the last few days. I was beginning to think Tank Queues were the new Healer Queues. I spent ages in queues for my low level MSQ dungeon and people were quitting because no Tanks. I only have Heal and DPS and no idea about the dungeon so i couldn't swap out. I went Fishing and visited other servers to get my Residency quest done instead.

I'll ask in Novice Network next time if i can't get in though.

Love the screenshot!

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
^pretty much
My brother went as a tank in his ps4 playthru.

Speaking of which i am willing to try out guild wars 2 eventually and going Norn race.

Reactions: derFeef

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I personally would go Charr. Those I was the most hyped for leading up to it's release.
Norn would be second just because I liked that GW1 addon so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: texhnolyze

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I just realised it was that event! I've seen it on a Larryzaur video... my inner sadist wants to see my Lalafell at the top but the pragmatist in me is pointing and laughing. I might have to cheat and party-up with someone at the top so they can teleport me there! Cheating lol!

At least you get a reward, eh! Oh, wait... you get nothing but a warm and fuzzy feeling!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
A quick question about FFXIV if you don't mind. I remember it being a horrific grind of the same bosses and dungeons being rehashed ad nauseam. However, that was before Heavensward and all other expansions. Does the content get a bit more diverse and varied from there on or should I resign myself to never liking this thing everyone loves? :p

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Same bosses and dungeons? No i wouldnt say that. Online team missions are mainly replayed either to help another player or just get exp boost. Same with primal boss fights. Furthermore certain dungeons and bosses get harder variations. Ff14 has nice writing and characters so if you can get into it via that you couls find enjoyment from it.
Keep in mind that the free trial merely lets you level.up a class to lvl 35 and that alone is about 20 to 30 hours of content at least.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Same bosses and dungeons? No i wouldnt say that. Online team missions are mainly replayed either to help another player or just get exp boost. Same with primal boss fights. Furthermore certain dungeons and bosses get harder variations. Ff14 has nice writing and characters so if you can get into it via that you couls find enjoyment from it.
Keep in mind that the free trial merely lets you level.up a class to lvl 35 and that alone is about 20 to 30 hours of content at least.
Oh I made it to 50 and i162 if memory serves. It's just that what you called variations got very old very quick to me, being the same environments and bosses with different mechanics. I kept hearing about how the writing and story took off from Heavensward so maybe I'll give it another shot :).