|OT| Monster Hunter World: Prepare to hunt, snow bunnies!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Totally, I always play with the long sword, and I'm super lost without my usual attack pattern.
On the upside I discovered the twin daggers :shrugblob:

Reactions: PossiblyPudding

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, I got a couple questions.
  • Where the fuck is the new Defense armor set ? I have no such thing in my forge menu, be it normal or expert.
  • Did the three people have some use for the spring ticket or is it specific to the summer ticket ? Just asking to see if I done goofed.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
  • Where the fuck is the new Defense armor set ? I have no such thing in my forge menu, be it normal or expert.
  • Did the three people have some use for the spring ticket or is it specific to the summer ticket ? Just asking to see if I done goofed.
The defense armor set is in the blacksmith, you have to forge it for 300Z each piece. There are also Defense weapons for each type of weapon.

The season tickets can be used in the blacksmith to create seasonal armors.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think you can buy the set at the armorer (not where you craft weapons but the shop next to it).
It might also be in your item box already.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The defense armor set is in the blacksmith, you have to forge it for 300Z each piece. There are also Defense weapons for each type of weapon.

The season tickets can be used in the blacksmith to create seasonal armors.
Hey, I knew that :p
I just noticed that the three guys at the entrance to Astera can use summer tickets too, I suppose to make the seasonal armor as a skin. So, I'm wondering if they did have the same use for spring tickets.

I think you can buy the set at the armorer (not where you craft weapons but the shop next to it).
It might also be in your item box already.

Oh God, you had to go visit the most useless shop ? Now that I think about it I wonder if there is a point to it.

Thanks guys, I have my armor set. Collection, serious matter.

Reactions: Echoes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I booted this game up yesterday evening and I was pleasantly surprised because it runs like a dream at maximum preset plus the HD texture pack. Although, I'm not sure if it's because SpecialK's frame limiter is that good, but the framerate graph is practically a flat line (locked at 60fps).

Anyway, I spent the rest of the evening just downloading mods from Nexus in order to get my chara just right. :dana_blanket:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hey, I finally crafted my Devil Jo longsword. It's basically 'Press A for Awesome' :cat-pizza-blob:

I still need to farm some more Jos, to make it awesomer. Awesomest ? Awesomastic ?

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Hey, I finally crafted my Devil Jo longsword. It's basically 'Press A for Awesome' :cat-pizza-blob:

I still need to farm some more Jos, to make it awesomer. Awesomest ? Awesomastic ?
Congrats! :blobcheer:

Those are some great weapons to get. Now wait until you see it at its awesom-ific-est-tastic form! It's so good! :awwblob:

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Damn. I'm nervously tired. I got some stupid things to prove to the world and always tries to solo quests. I'm not bright sometimes.
I tried the first Behemoth fight. Everything didn't go according to keikaku. Things are really turning too spicy for me. I soloed the first Lunastra fight, but I think I'm at my limit. It's becoming really hard.

On the other hand I think I can safely say I'm in the endgame now, and feel a little lost about what to do.

I suppose I can...
  • Complete every side missions.
  • Complete the special missions.
  • Play the event missions.
  • Try to obtain tempered investigations.
  • Finish the little side quests for fishes etc.
  • Try to understand Kulve Taroth obscure mechanics.

What do you people do ?

Is the tempered Kirin the last main mission ?
Is there really no fucking Lunastra armor set ? The armor wasn't available but maybe it unlock when you kill the beast. I got confused because some drops allowed me to begin the Palico set.

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Damn. I'm nervously tired. I got some stupid things to prove to the world and always tries to solo quests. I'm not bright sometimes.
I tried the first Behemoth fight. Everything didn't go according to keikaku. Things are really turning too spicy for me. I soloed the first Lunastra fight, but I think I'm at my limit. It's becoming really hard.

On the other hand I think I can safely say I'm in the endgame now, and feel a little lost about what to do.

I suppose I can...
  • Complete every side missions.
  • Complete the special missions.
  • Play the event missions.
  • Try to obtain tempered investigations.
  • Finish the little side quests for fishes etc.
  • Try to understand Kulve Taroth obscure mechanics.

What do you people do ?

Is the tempered Kirin the last main mission ?
Is there really no fucking Lunastra armor set ? The armor wasn't available but maybe it unlock when you kill the beast. I got confused because some drops allowed me to begin the Palico set.
Behemoth is very difficult solo and the extreme version is nearly impossible. I'm able to survive against Extremoth but can't do enough damage before I run out of time. There are folks that have been able to solo Extremoth, but it's beyond my skills.

For the most part you want to equip plunderblade on your palico and keep spamming it when you can to get extra parts from Behemoth to make the weapons and armor.

And yep, there is a Lunastra set and it will show up once you complete the hunt for her. It's a pretty decent set.

As for my suggestion about what to do going forward, I'd recommend doing the side stuff (quests, fishing, etc.) and the special missions. Those will give you access to new mantles, a few of which are really useful.

Don't forget that I'm always up for helping out if you need it! Or if you see me and Echoes playing together you're welcome to jump in anytime then too! :highfiveblob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Beat the last side mission, the White winds of the New World or something.
And this mission solo only was hard ffs, stop getting harder, plz. Was what I thought when finishing it...
Until I realized this wasn’t solo only, I just got disconnected and forgot about it.

I don’t know who if I want to slap more, Capcom online team or me :thinking-blob:

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Beat the last side mission, the White winds of the New World or something.
And this mission solo only was hard ffs, stop getting harder, plz. Was what I thought when finishing it...
Until I realized this wasn’t solo only, I just got disconnected and forgot about it.
Congrats! :blobcheer:

That can be a tough one to do solo for sure.

I don’t know who if I want to slap more, Capcom online team or me :thinking-blob:

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
so anybody wanna hoont ? think I gotta do that wind quest talked about above aswell ! tired of playing alone :oops:
I'd be happy to help out sometime. Been a little while since I've played and it would be nice to get some practice in before Iceborne hits too. :)

Reactions: Sygmaelle

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Lol, I played every day for weeks in order to craft every seasonal armors and 'finish' the game. Iceborne hits in 3 days and I'm burned out :cryblob:
Overall it wasn't a difficult game, but I'm getting tired of being obliterated in the endgame (Temp DevilJo, AT Ancient Dragons, regular Lunastra).

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Give it a few days of not playing and the Iceborne release and seeing people play it will get you interested again.
The advantage is that everyone will be in the same situation on PC so ii'm sure Meta Co-Op will be full of MonHuns.

I was really tempted but ~£60 for both games in the sale and my neeeed to get back into FFXIV put it out of my mind. So i bought Shadow Bringers for £14 instead. Now i HAVE to get back into FFXIV.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
I liked MH World, but didn't really like having to wait more for the PC stuff to release, so i don't think i'll be getting Iceborne at launch, especially at the asking price. We'll see.

Regardless, do you need a special level/rank in the base game to even start the expansion ? I forgot where i left the main game at. I remember doing some of the extra monster that were added, but didn't really care much for them due to staggered and late releases.

Give it a few days of not playing and the Iceborne release and seeing people play it will get you interested again.
The advantage is that everyone will be in the same situation on PC so ii'm sure Meta Co-Op will be full of MonHuns.

I was really tempted but ~£60 for both games in the sale and my neeeed to get back into FFXIV put it out of my mind. So i bought Shadow Bringers for £14 instead. Now i HAVE to get back into FFXIV.
Yeah i recently got back in FFXIV too, i finished Stormblood and the post Stormblood stuff and finally got into Shadowbringers 2 days ago. So far it's been pretty good!

Luminaire

별이 빛나는 하늘
Feb 28, 2019
I liked MH World, but didn't really like having to wait more for the PC stuff to release, so i don't think i'll be getting Iceborne at launch, especially at the asking price. We'll see.

Regardless, do you need a special level/rank in the base game to even start the expansion ? I forgot where i left the main game at. I remember doing some of the extra monster that were added, but didn't really care much for them due to staggered and late releases.
You need to see the final credits of World to start Iceborne. The monster you need to beat is
Xeno'jiiva

Reactions: Kandrick

DriftedPlanet

Ash, I think something was in those sandwiches
Oct 27, 2018
Lol, I played every day for weeks in order to craft every seasonal armors and 'finish' the game. Iceborne hits in 3 days and I'm burned out :cryblob:
Overall it wasn't a difficult game, but I'm getting tired of being obliterated in the endgame (Temp DevilJo, AT Ancient Dragons, regular Lunastra).
Man, sorry to hear that. I started with MH4U and World is definitely easier but yeah some of the endgame is a solid challenge. I hope you get back in the groove with it so you can enjoy Iceborne and the other experiences the game has to offer.

I personally love the Tempered Jho fight (solo with charge blade) because the whole fight feels like a dance of death. He chunks you for so much damage and can be kinda fast but is very predictable, so it really feels amazing timing guard points and landing full phial elemental discharges on a KO; anticipating his actions and walking the tight rope where 1 mistake is impactful, 2 are dangerous, and 3 ends in a cart. Standing triumphant as he falls is a terrific release at the end of a tense battle.

Don't be worried about other normal Tempered fights besides maybe Lunastra. Lunastra is a bit rougher than the others because of her persistent flames and more intense nuke (vs Teostra) but if you want a setup that really gives breathing room I'd say: build Vaal Hazak armor for the healing set bonus; slot in vitality jewels to increase max health, slot in recovery jewels so your potions go further, obviously augment all the armor to max, and fit in some divine blessing as it procs 25% of the time so it really does save you a ton. If you build that, health augment your weapon, eat every time, and can squeeze in Free Meal then you have a set with a ton of extra health, tons of self healing, lower resource costs in terms of amount of items used, and great recovery with recovery items. If you want even more, one of the 3 upgrades to Lunastra weapons gives Guts (the bazelgeuse set bonus) that prevents 1 death if you were hit for more than around 20% of your health bar (per cart; so it effectively gives you 3 extra lives in solo).

Re: Behemoth, Extremoth, Kulve Taroth, and Arch Tempereds: you really should find other players to do these with (through the game's lobby feature (specify monster) or co-op corner on MC) unless you've beaten every other piece of content and really know what you're doing for solo runs on them as their sheer amounts of health and damage numbers are a bit absurd.

However, Iceborne is adding adaptive difficulty per number of players, instead of solo difficulty and multiplayer difficulty being a binary system, so we'll see if that affects these at all.

Anyway, like I said, I hope your love for the game becomes rekindled. I'm interested in playing a bunch of Iceborne in the coming weeks and months and really looking forward to the changes.

Edit: Also, in case anyone isn't doing these as well: I'd say drink your demondrug and armorskin on every fight at tempered elder dragons or greater difficulty; and make sure you've bought your demon fang & armor charm, have upgraded them and bought a non-upgraded pair as well with all 4 in your bag because they stack and all passively buff you. Re: demon drug and armorskin, I found megas to be too expensive when playing the wide range role in groups so I just advocate for normal demon drug & armorskin usage or mushroomancer equivalents for people with the resources to do it that way.

Edit 2: In my experience, solo AT Kirin wasn't bad unless you got caught out, solo AT Vaal Hazak with the set up I mentioned above was actually able to do some damage to you but still easily clearable, solo AT Teostra was an uncomfortably close fight.

Kulve and AT Kulve in a 4 man squad requires people with wide range and who know the steps of the fight but neither are difficult. AT Kulve's Kjarr weapon drops are fairly all pretty good too so that can be nice.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Thanks for your help DriftedPlanet :cat-heart-blob:
On a related note, that brings me to wonder if I maybe could prepare better for a fight, health wise.

I always have the four charms in my inventory, eat the chef’s menu because I never could make sense of the custom option, and then drink an ancient secret potion or whatever the name, the one that gives big health and stamina bars.
Are there other advised potions to drink or something else ?

ps. I need to look for info into the dragon stone fusion, too. But I still haven’t hoarded enough of these to want to play with RNGesus.

Reactions: DriftedPlanet

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
AT Luna is when I called it quits in the old game. Fuck that noise. I beat it once and that was enough. Extremoth felt less bullshitty. The only ones I didn’t farm a full set of were AT Kulve (bored) and AT Luna (peeved) iirc.

I’ll be jumping back in with Iceborne though 🥶

Edit: actually, now that I think about it, I called it quits after I ran Greatest Jagras a hundred times and didn’t get any decos worth a damn. Worst RNG grind in the series other than charm tables in 3U?

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I won’t go there I think, regular Lunastra is annoying enough with her nova. But you make me remember that now that I started the FF collab quest chain’ I’m stuck with this fucking music until I beat Behemoth. Which doesn’t look soon. Oh God...
Not that the music is bad in isolation, but I want my glorious MHW OST backkkkk.

DriftedPlanet

Oct 27, 2018
Thanks for your help DriftedPlanet :cat-heart-blob:
On a related note, that brings me to wonder if I maybe could prepare better for a fight, health wise.

I always have the four charms in my inventory, eat the chef’s menu because I never could make sense of the custom option, and then drink an ancient secret potion or whatever the name, the one that gives big health and stamina bars.
Are there other advised potions to drink or something else ?

ps. I need to look for info into the dragon stone fusion, too. But I still haven’t hoarded enough of these to want to play with RNGesus.
For potions and buffs you have several options but the main ones I'd focus on having with you every hunt are: 10 mega potions, 10 potions, 10 honey to combine with the potions midhunt (so you effectively have 20 mega potions per hunt without restocking), 2 max potions as they help max your health bar same as ancient potions but are cheaper and are still a full heal, demon drug for extra attack, armor skin for extra defense, and dash juice if playing a stamina heavy class as it greatly reduces stamina usage.

It's not a real solution but if you want to escape the behemoth music then the gathering hub is a respite. :blobevening:

You can also look into the megas of demon drug and armor skin, swap the max potions for ancient potions if you feel like you'd rather pay the resource costs for those instead of just eating rations or steak, look into mega nutrients, and look into things like might seeds/demon powder/demon pills if you're interested in very momentary but large buffs (say from 2 minutes to 30 seconds, ascending order, as the buffs get larger).

However! If you find yourself wanting less to manage: Try getting 3/3 mushroomancer so that you can just eat blue mushrooms, devil's blight, parashrooms, and mandragoras instead of stocking mega potions, demon drug, armor skin, and max potions. Dash juice also gets covered by mushroomancer but I'm forgetting the shrooms equivalent. :thinking-face: Slotting this without ruining your armor skills will probably require the mushroomancer charm and/or the jewels though so it isn't for everyone.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Best ways of staying alive in AT quests and stuff like Behemoth have been eating (and speccing decos) for elemental resistances + auto-evade mantle + elemental resist mantle / no-flinch mantle (in my experience). For most quests, you can stay fighting while the mantles are up and then proceed to resupply while / wait out the cooldown when they’re down if you want to cheese it a bit.

Edit: oh, and the weapon augmentation that gives you health back when you deal damage is also quite good!

Last edited:

DriftedPlanet

Oct 27, 2018
Best ways of staying alive in AT quests and stuff like Behemoth have been eating (and speccing decos) for elemental resistances + auto-evade mantle + elemental resist mantle / no-flinch mantle (in my experience). For most quests, you can stay fighting while the mantles are up and then proceed to resupply while / wait out the cooldown when they’re down if you want to cheese it a bit.
Agreed, though I don't like running rocksteady mantle on ATs as the flinch can sometimes save you from getting carted (kushala tornadoes, Jho combos, Teo chomping after a tackle, etc). I prefer evasion mantle to run while temporal mantle is down. The extended dodge window can be extremely useful.

Reactions: beep boop

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Other non-health related survivability tip: Putting a sleep weapon on your cat if you're solo. If the fight drags on long enough, you almost always get one sleep in. Maybe not on the AT variants though. Can't recall.

Agreed, though I don't like running rocksteady mantle on ATs as the flinch can sometimes save you from getting carted (kushala tornadoes, Jho combos, Teo chomping after a tackle, etc). I prefer evasion mantle to run while temporal mantle is down. The extended dodge window can be extremely useful.
Yeah, that can happen from time to time. It's probably more useful when you've mostly got a feel for a monster's patterns and OHKO moves. Never used the extended evade mantle though. Should try that once.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Managed to beat the game in the past but I barely know anyone who plays and I have no idea about builds and that kind of stuff so killing some monsters was a real pain in the ass.

I'll probably jump on Iceborne but I fear I'll burn out again from too much singleplayer.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
From what I gather all the end-game equipment I’ve got is now going to be outclassed by Iceborne gear, right? Thankfully some of them were skins so at least I’ve got that to show for it 😭

Will this be the time I learn a weapon other than GS? Doubtful.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
GS is the heavy sword or the katana like one ? Asking to know if I should brofist or be impressed.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
GS is the heavy sword or the katana like one ? Asking to know if I should brofist or be impressed.

The big honkin sword

Apparently it got a few buffs to access the big charge attack quicker? Lol. I’m never gonna get off the greatest sword train at this rate.
Seems like the Wyvern Ignition (rocket sword) is not a thing anymore in IB. Too bad. Such a fun design. Looks like it gets an upgrade? Rad,

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I’m impressed then. This shit is powerful but you can go make some tea until the sword hit the target.

Reactions: beep boop

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I’m sending in my power supply for RMA today, so I’ll be in that state until next week 😭

By the way, I'll have to do some catching up with IB early on, but I'm always game for co-op hunting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsene

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Personally I'm a Switch Axe person. Barely used anything else :p
But I'm not going to get Iceborne right away. I would have if it had come out simultaneously, but as it stands my hype has evaporated (though I expect it to be back as soon as I purchase the thing) and I'm busy with all the games I bought at the end of last year now, so I'm happy to wait a bit longer.

Reactions: Kandrick

DriftedPlanet

Oct 27, 2018
Other non-health related survivability tip: Putting a sleep weapon on your cat if you're solo. If the fight drags on long enough, you almost always get one sleep in. Maybe not on the AT variants though. Can't recall.

Yeah, that can happen from time to time. It's probably more useful when you've mostly got a feel for a monster's patterns and OHKO moves. Never used the extended evade mantle though. Should try that once.
The utility of evasion mantle is more about being a secondary mantle that accompanies the endgame default of temporal mantle; same as rocksteady mantle.

My point re: rocksteady mantle cons was that no-flinch can be problematic in several situations (take knockback a Superman dive dodging an attack from tempered or AT kushala into one of a dozen tornadoes just once with a rocksteady mantle and watch your character get very quickly chipped to or near to cart as they slowly get up). Evasion mantle is a good alternative to consider for those situations and has other traits as well. The evasive mantle is actually very useful to those of us that do know the monster patterns as it also gives us a damage boost after a near miss.

Last edited:

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Personally I'm a Switch Axe person. Barely used anything else :p
But I'm not going to get Iceborne right away. I would have if it had come out simultaneously, but as it stands my hype has evaporated (though I expect it to be back as soon as I purchase the thing) and I'm busy with all the games I bought at the end of last year now, so I'm happy to wait a bit longer.
Yeah same for me. The only reason i would buy it right now would be if i had people to play online with. But if i'm going to play solo, i'll wait until it's on sale by the end of this year.

We already had to wait since the PS4 version release, i'm fine waiting a few more months.

OP
MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I already know two others, one that is from here, that I am playing with. I can see about making a way to dynamically set up meets if yea want.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019

Man it must suck for those with slow connections, whats that surprise 80gb dl seriously