|OT| Monster Hunter World: Prepare to hunt, snow bunnies!

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Oh great, you have to download a 80gb update even if you didn't buy MHW. I just started steam and it automatically started the download.

Thanks Capcom.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
So, uh... it said I had to do two nine star quests before I could start doing MR quests. Were those quests not new? I can already do MR quests and am level 3.

EDIT: Oh, the achievement told me I can, lmao.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Seems like people are having performance issues all over again.
How's it running for you all? Anyone with an older system? Won't be able to try it until next week, but I'm worried my 4690k and 970 might melt :fearful-face:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
That doesn't bode well for me. I already began to experience some slow downs since a recent update, so...
The 970 is gonna cry :S

DriftedPlanet

Ash, I think something was in those sandwiches
Oct 27, 2018
To be fair the game is way more CPU intensive then GPU and it should not be.
Yep. 8gb 1070 was only at 65% usage when I was playing yesterday but my 4.2ghz i5 3570k was at 98 - 100% usage the whole time. 56 - 60 fps with occasional dips, had to turn vsync off. Absurdly cpu-bound. (High-res pack on hdd, new sharpening setting on, other settings lowered to ease things for the cpu in case it would help at all).

Still a very good game and Iceborne is great so far. I do hope the dx12 mode runs better but waiting until they patch out the display lag bug.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
Ive put video settings all the way down to low, restarted the game, then put it all back up to the maximum followed by another game reboot and everything works like a charm

Also activated DX 12. Game looks phenomenal on pc holy. I think I'm gonna change of weapon tho, Im kinda tired of playing with CB for 100+ hours. I miss the long sword

I think I'm gonna pick up switch axe to be honest

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I used to run the the game at an average of 45-50fps and low-med settings but now with DX12 I can get 60fps with a bunch of the settings jacked up to High.

Definitely loving Iceborne so far 😊

Reactions: PossiblyPudding
OP
MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Oh I stopped using Special K before IB. It became buggy and made things worse for me.

What video settings do you have now? Post pics in a DM.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
MHW is so CPU bound that a 3900x actually outperforms a 9900k in it. Not sure if that's still the case with DX12, but it was with DX11.

FWIW the game seems to be performing well for me.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It’s like they spent the extra time for the PC port only on adding useless anti-cheat/piracy hooks that have already been bypassed but are grinding everyone’s PCs down anyway.

Reactions: lashman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Layered drachen can now just be crafted? :suicide-blob:
Feels bad, boys and girls. Feels real bad. At least I have that dumb hunter card title to show for it.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
You also unlock the title Warrior of Light.

Though, it seems like I spoke to soon? It looks like you still need to meet unlock conditions to craft those layered sets. I don't have Geralt or Ciri layered armor listed. Hope those quests will be back in the upcoming event.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
MonthOLDpickle BlindRhythm Like I said in the general chat thread (aka, the Steam thread), I started playing MHW in january and I'm waaay behind you.

I like to take it slow and enjoy the content, instead of rushing through things. I've currently beat 3 out of the 4 monsters before Velkhana (or whatever her name is... I'm assuming she's a she-monster). So, why am I telling you this ? I'm interested in the RE2 sidequests and the requirement seems to be MR20 (I just reached MR10)... obiously there's no way I'll get there before the end of the event... is it a one-off deal or are even these special quests made available at a later date ?

On an unrelated note, I'm really happy I ignored the defender armor/weapons... It'd have ruined the game. I went back for the first time to kill Xeno'jiva (the HR 9 quest) and I beat her without using a single potion (although my Palico must've healed me twice)... The Iceborne stuff is way too powerful.

I also feel that by skipping the late HR stuff I've missed on a lot of the most challenging stuff... Up until now I failed a mission only twice: probably during my first encounter with Anjanath (I had yet to understand how to play properly) and Xeno'jiva (I had shitty gear... after getting a full Zora Magdaros set + great sword it wasn't that difficult). Although to be completely honest I tried soloing Behemoth and, after carting twice, I decided to give up (for now).

Any of you bought the MH figure plus sets ?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Event quests rotate in and out. I don’t know when it might be back again, but seasonal “celebration” events usually being back a lot of older event quests.

Behemoth is the only monster in the game designed to be played with a group. It can be solo’d but it’s intended for multiplayer. So don’t worry about that.

It can be fun go back for some of the arch tempered elder dragons. It’ll still be kinda challenging, and you’ll get new layered armor from most of those. Definitely worth doing!

In general, I do think MH’s difficulty is somewhat overstated. But if you want a challenge, try the Black Diablos quest that comes up in master rank. I think you’ll also get a tempered version in your quest list. Fun! :ripblob:

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I like to take it slow and enjoy the content, instead of rushing through things. I've currently beat 3 out of the 4 monsters before Velkhana (or whatever her name is... I'm assuming she's a she-monster). So, why am I telling you this ? I'm interested in the RE2 sidequests and the requirement seems to be MR20 (I just reached MR10)... obiously there's no way I'll get there before the end of the event... is it a one-off deal or are even these special quests made available at a later date ?
Totally get that. That's how I usually play most games too. :)

As daxy said the event quests are always rotating. So even if you happen to miss a few here or there you never have to worry about missing out on something permanently. There's usually four big festivals throughout the year where they bring back every single event, the next of which should be sometime in the Spring. Though if I had to guess I'd say there's a decent chance the RE event might get cycled back in briefly around the release of RE3 Remake.

I also feel that by skipping the late HR stuff I've missed on a lot of the most challenging stuff... Up until now I failed a mission only twice: probably during my first encounter with Anjanath (I had yet to understand how to play properly) and Xeno'jiva (I had shitty gear... after getting a full Zora Magdaros set + great sword it wasn't that difficult). Although to be completely honest I tried soloing Behemoth and, after carting twice, I decided to give up (for now).
Behemoth really puts the word monster in Monster Hunter. He's incredibly challenging solo, the extreme version especially so. There's a few others on that same level but I've gotta say it's nice having that extra challenge sometimes. Gives you something to work toward. :heroblob:

I think I've mentioned before how I got to the point where I could survive with Extreme Behemoth, not being carted once, but I could never finish him off. I always ran out of time. So even though I couldn't complete it solo there was still that sense of accomplishment having made it that far.

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Thank you all for your answers! :highfiveblob:

After playing 100+ hours I found a camp I had missed in the Wildspire Waste (I think the number was "6", I'm not sure )... how's that even possible???
Happy to help! :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

That camp is a fairly easy one to miss. Monsters rarely follow the path near that camp and nothing really spawns around there other than a single mining node. Congrats on finding it! It's actually a pretty useful location to start at sometimes.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I've yet to see all available monsters, but currently my favorite one is probably Ebony Odogaron. Such a cool design. It was surprisingly easy as I happened to be weilding a water-element great sword... but intimidating nonetheless.

I'm happy that subspecies don't feel like glorified pallette swaps !

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
I've yet to see all available monsters, but currently my favorite one is probably Ebony Odogaron. Such a cool design. It was surprisingly easy as I happened to be weilding a water-element great sword... but intimidating nonetheless.

I'm happy that subspecies don't feel like glorified pallette swaps !
Have you had the chance to check out Ebony's armor set? That's another thing that impressed me with the variant monsters, while the armor sets still kind of have the base look of the original monster there's some tweaks made to each variant set that make them unique.

While stat wise it's probably not a set I'll use for hunting purposes it's such a badass looking set. Sometimes it's all about that hunter fashion. :fashionblob:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Have you had the chance to check out Ebony's armor set? That's another thing that impressed me with the variant monsters, while the armor sets still kind of have the base look of the original monster there's some tweaks made to each variant set that make them unique.

While stat wise it's probably not a set I'll use for hunting purposes it's such a badass looking set. Sometimes it's all about that hunter fashion. :fashionblob:
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet ! I just remember that the regular one looks like wearing a Licker (from RE2) skinsuit.

Now that I think about it, I realize that I somewhat pay less attention to armor than weapons (maybe because I feel like you need to grind more)... to compensate for this, my palico is always carrying the Vigorwasp Spray.

But yeah, the last full set I wore was the HR-level Zorah Magdaros armor. Now I just mix and match whatever is available and hide it all under a layered armor.

I'll probably stop doing that once I reach harder fights and really need to optimize my strategy. I also don't pay too much attention to elemental weaknesses... for example, yesterday I started working towards getting my first decent fire great sword (mostly because I'm anticipating Velkhana being tough... and I'm just guessing she's fire-weak... maybe she's only dragon-weak)... but up until now I felt like the base damage was what mattered most (maybe this is something specific to great swords ? I don't know).

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet ! I just remember that the regular one looks like wearing a Licker (from RE2) skinsuit.

Now that I think about it, I realize that I somewhat pay less attention to armor than weapons (maybe because I feel like you need to grind more)... to compensate for this, my palico is always carrying the Vigorwasp Spray.

But yeah, the last full set I wore was the HR-level Zorah Magdaros armor. Now I just mix and match whatever is available and hide it all under a layered armor.

I'll probably stop doing that once I reach harder fights and really need to optimize my strategy. I also don't pay too much attention to elemental weaknesses... for example, yesterday I started working towards getting my first decent fire great sword (mostly because I'm anticipating Velkhana being tough... and I'm just guessing she's fire-weak... maybe she's only dragon-weak)... but up until now I felt like the base damage was what mattered most (maybe this is something specific to great swords ? I don't know).
Oh! No you're not doing anything wrong with your armor at all. Sorry if I made it seem like you should focus on getting a full set.

Most folks mix and match armor to get the best stats whenever possible. The only real reason to go with a full set is the occasional one that has a 4 piece set bonus and even then it usually doesn't outweigh mixed sets. Otherwise it's purely for fashion purposes.

Elemental weapons do still make a difference though if you can get a raw damage weapon to a high enough base damage and affinity you're able to take on anything without bothering to switch elements so it does have that benefit. Of course I will say that blast is pretty handy. Little to no monsters are fully immune to it and getting that extra 300 damage every few seconds is pretty helpful.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Oh! No you're not doing anything wrong with your armor at all. Sorry if I made it seem like you should focus on getting a full set.

Most folks mix and match armor to get the best stats whenever possible. The only real reason to go with a full set is the occasional one that has a 4 piece set bonus and even then it usually doesn't outweigh mixed sets. Otherwise it's purely for fashion purposes.

Elemental weapons do still make a difference though if you can get a raw damage weapon to a high enough base damage and affinity you're able to take on anything without bothering to switch elements so it does have that benefit. Of course I will say that blast is pretty handy. Little to no monsters are fully immune to it and getting that extra 300 damage every few seconds is pretty helpful.
Don't worry ! I didn't think you were scolding me or anything of the sort :thumbsupblob: . It didn't even cross my mind.

And I agree that blast is super useful... too bad my best blast weapon is either level 5 or 6... as effective as a wet firecracker !

Edit: oh and yes, the ebony odogaron armor is way better looking than the regular one !

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
well... I got my ass handed to me twice by Velkhana. I've yet to figure out how to evade those sweeping ice beams... blocking doesn't work and evading almost never works (unless there are like two invincibility frames or something, which would mean that I need to work on my timing...). The second time I didn't cart even once but the timer ran out (and, to add insult to injury, Velkhana's radar icon was showing the skull icon).

I feel like she's way too fast as I've never managed to use my great sword to its full potential (I think I pulled a 3-combo twice, always thanks to my Palico, putting her to sleep).

After my second failure I upgraded from a Rathalos Glinsword+ to a Rathflame Glinsword (1056 to 1152 base damage, 300 to 330 flame damage, 15% to 20% affinity)... I've yet to try a third run, but I doubt it's going to improve things drastically (well, maybe... since I was so close to killing her...).

Edit: I know what the problem is... I've never really exploited the fact that I can do a tackle (which gives you invulnerability) while charging my blade, nor the slinger burst (introduced with Iceborne). I clearly need to work on that.

Last edited:
OP
MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
You can only block it is you got the Guard Up (not the guard skill + 1/2/3/4/5 one). Dodging is doable, but it is timing. Yes you can tackle through roars even. Dodge too.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
You can only block it is you got the Guard Up (not the guard skill + 1/2/3/4/5 one). Dodging is doable, but it is timing. Yes you can tackle through roars even. Dodge too.
Thanks! I wasn't even aware that there was a Guard Up skill... interesting!

I guess that I'll just try a third time and, if I really can't pull off tackles consistenly I guess I'll just practice them on an Anjanath first. Funny how the base game didn't require as much finesse as Iceborne (well, or at least when fighting Velkhana)... which in my opinion is exciting as I feel that the game has yet to become stale... even after 120ish hours! It's definitely my favorite game in the last 10 years or so... well, top 3 at the very least.

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Thanks! I wasn't even aware that there was a Guard Up skill... interesting!

I guess that I'll just try a third time and, if I really can't pull off tackles consistenly I guess I'll just practice them on an Anjanath first. Funny how the base game didn't require as much finesse as Iceborne (well, or at least when fighting Velkhana)... which in my opinion is exciting as I feel that the game has yet to become stale... even after 120ish hours! It's definitely my favorite game in the last 10 years or so... well, top 3 at the very least.
The tackle is very useful though it's very similar to how the Rocksteady mantle works so you'll have to be careful with it. It reduces damage taken but you will still take a little bit each time if you get caught by an attack. So in the case of a monster like Velkhana that is very quick and sometimes very aggressive it can still drain your hp quickly but if you keep an eye on it and stay on top of healing it should work out better in the long run.

Also if you don't happen to have a Guard Up jewel you can equip the Bulwark Charm to get the same effect.

And I'm glad you're enjoying it! I share the same feeling. It's incredibly rare that a game hooks me like this one has. :)

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
The tackle is very useful though it's very similar to how the Rocksteady mantle works so you'll have to be careful with it. It reduces damage taken but you will still take a little bit each time if you get caught by an attack. So in the case of a monster like Velkhana that is very quick and sometimes very aggressive it can still drain your hp quickly but if you keep an eye on it and stay on top of healing it should work out better in the long run.

Also if you don't happen to have a Guard Up jewel you can equip the Bulwark Charm to get the same effect.

And I'm glad you're enjoying it! I share the same feeling. It's incredibly rare that a game hooks me like this one has. :)
thanks for the tips ! I'd quickly looked it up and thought that guard up was a skill obtained only via a set bonus.

I just beat her (it took me 40 minutes...)... I never really got the chance to use tackle, but I had completely forgotten that, with iceborne, you can bypass the second swing (in the 3 swing combo) by replacing with a much quicker burst shot... meaning that I was able to use my true charged swing (or whatever it's called), dealing massive damage.

I think I'm off slaying a pukei pukei... just to relax.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I still fumble my tackle half of the time :')
As long as you look cool doing it, it's all good.

If you whiff it, try using RT+Y (slap attack), which will get you out of the recovery animation quicker and can then be followed up by a burst attack to reposition for a TCS. Then whisper "all according to plan" and cackle.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I still fumble my tackle half of the time :')
As long as you look cool doing it, it's all good.

If you whiff it, try using RT+Y (slap attack), which will get you out of the recovery animation quicker and can then be followed up by a burst attack to reposition for a TCS. Then whisper "all according to plan" and cackle.
Hmmm... slap attack? I don't remember what the different moves are called... do you mean the weak-ass side swing that is usually done after an overhead swing by pushing Y without tilting the left stick? I'll try that, thanks!

Also, Seething Bazelgeuse was a pushover. I even beat it with the fire sword I used to kill Velkhana, which probably isn't a good idea against a fire/'splosion monster. Compared to Velkhana it felt like fighting against a drugged out sloth.

Last edited:

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Congrats beating Shara! :blobcheer:

That's a really bizarre fight at first that turns into a really cool one. The design for Shara is so creepy and unique that I can't help but like it.

Also were you able to get your RE stuff? Hope you were able to get some of it at least. :)

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Congrats beating Shara! :blobcheer:

That's a really bizarre fight at first that turns into a really cool one. The design for Shara is so creepy and unique that I can't help but like it.

Also were you able to get your RE stuff? Hope you were able to get some of it at least. :)
Thanks !

But, yeah, I agree... the design is extremely creepy. Her face is a weird mix between a Pukei Pukei and Kefka.

Pukei Pukei:

Kefka:

Shara Ishvalda:

And yes, I did get the chance to complete the quest once (got the Chris armor set and the R.C.P.D. badge)!
I tried a second time but I had to end the mission prematurely...