Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
I managed to finish watching Uncut Gems and wow it was intense. But yeah I see why it gets so much praise.
when i saw it was coming to netflix on jan 31st i was excited to see it only then to find out it was international netflix. felt bad man

Reactions: Le Pertti

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I've been watching a few AppleTV+ shows recently since it is included in my Apple Music Student sub. And their offering is surprisingly solid to pretty good.

The Morning Show might be my favorite of the bunch I have seen so far. While it does things you would expect and can see from a mile away it does a lot of things really well. When I first saw the description I wrote it of as a "woke brand caring about social issue" combined with "Fuck you, we are Apple. We get these stars called Jennifer Anniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carell because we got M O N E Y !". And while it probably is at some level still that it manages to be much more.

After that I would probably rank Mythic Quest which only came out recently. One of the rare shows that made me laugh in every episode. Don't know how true it is to the culture in a development studio but I also don't think it is too far off with certain types. The only thing that is strange are the scenes from Assassin's Creed Odyssey and For Honor every now and then but I guess that is the price when Ubisoft is involved in the production. It has some drama and is able to capture the greater gaming culture about streaming for satire reasons pretty well. The show is 4 out of 5 buttholes easily.

For All Mankind is for all of you space nerds out there. It starts slow in the first few episodes but then makes something cool out of the alternate history take on the space race between the US and the Soviet Union. Has some nice sets, too. Would definitly put it on the watchlist if you happen to get the service.

Then there is Little America. Don't have much to say other than it has some nice short stories in it. I don't have that much reference for living in America that's why it kinda left me cold. Also the only series on there I've seen that wasn't in 4K HDR. As an anthology series I would probably prefer Modern Love on Amazon Prime.

See is enjoyable but also the most kinda there series. It also looks expensive and is probably the best looking series I ever saw on streaming maybe even before Marco Polo. The fight choreography in it is amazing. Its idea with a blind society is neat and it shows how things would be different in it. For some things you need to suspense your disbelief a bit. There is also some time shennanigans that are a bit iffy with characters aging but you can ignore it if you want. The series also manages to cast Jason Momoa and not use his greatest asset, his upper body. If you come to the series expecting that you will be left disappointed. But like the other series the first season is a solid foundation for more to come. It just doesn't reach the hights of the others.

I am currently watching Dickinson and it leaves me kind of indifferent. I am not that familiar with the works of Emily Dickinson so it might not be for me. But I also find the combination of the olden times with some hip hop beats and tunes pretty uninspired. But I will watch it a bit more and it isn't that long.

After that I will probably start Truth Be Told, Snoopy in Space and Servant. For the latter I heard some good things so I am looking forward to seeing it. Also planning to watch some of the movies that are on there which i think so far are two. Feels kinda bizarre watching almost the complete catalogue of a streaming provider.

Would I say it is worth getting AppleTV+? Kinda. It is not worth it to keep as an ongoing subscription because it doesn't have that much of a back catalogue and I don't know enough about the content stream. For getting it for a month or two at a time to watch what it is there I think it is worth it. The series are good and so far don't have much episodes and seasons so it is easy to see most if not all the good stuff for 5€ in a month. Most of the series are in 4K HDR and the streaming quality is the best out of all the streaming providers I have used so far.

And for what it's worth: I enjoyed the first three named series in this post more than The Mandalorian.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I saw Parasite this weekend and to be honest I dont see what all the fuss is about. I thought it was ok. Didnt really leave me feeling anything other than a bit weirded out. Dont really have any desire to see it again. Wish we had gone to see Jojo Rabbit instead, that sounds good. (or Sonic :p )

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I just watched things. It’s my yearly period when I’m depressed to not watch things anymore and I end up trying to fix that. Usually by watching shitty things that kill my desire to change. Yeah, me !

But it was just a sleepless night so short things.
I resumed my rewatch of the GOAT Twilight Zone. Two episodes. That shit has unfortunately aged, so meh. ’I shoot an arrow in the sky‘ or whatev was... whatev. And ‘The Hitchicker’ wouldn’t be bad but the central idea doesn’t have that much freshness anymore. Not bad overall, maybe terrifying at the time. I developed a crush for the lead actress.

Then I watched the two first Harley Quinn. I already heard it was too edgy for its own good, and yeah, trying too hard. But I can’t say there weren’t a few chuckles.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I just watched things. It’s my yearly period when I’m depressed to not watch things anymore and I end up trying to fix that. Usually by watching shitty things that kill my desire to change. Yeah, me !

But it was just a sleepless night so short things.
I resumed my rewatch of the GOAT Twilight Zone. Two episodes. That shit has unfortunately aged, so meh. ’I shoot an arrow in the sky‘ or whatev was... whatev. And ‘The Hitchicker’ wouldn’t be bad but the central idea doesn’t have that much freshness anymore. Not bad overall, maybe terrifying at the time. I developed a crush for the lead actress.

Then I watched the two first Harley Quinn. I already heard it was too edgy for its own good, and yeah, trying too hard. But I can’t say there weren’t a few chuckles.
The excess gore and violence can be a turn off, but it is a good show overall.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Having watched Vice, Ad Astra and Midsommar covering a range from mediocre to boring and watching Hunters on Amazon I cannot wait to watch something good again soon.

Reactions: Li Kao

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
i finished up Letterkenny over the weekend. it took a bit to understand the structure of the show but once it clicked it was hilarious. I cant remember the last show that was so quick with the writing/jokes.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Watched Terminator: Dark Fate the other day and while it's not great it's not bad either. It was entertaining and that's all I wanted from it. It was by far the best terminator movie since T2 although that's not an high barrier to cross.
Mackenzie Davis was great but she has been great in everything she's ever done.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Black Lightning Season 3 finale is next week and so far this has been the best season yet.
The show overall is a great super hero centric series with great character moments, music and nice action.

Reactions: prudis

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Watched IT Chapter 2 earlier, it was Ok, preferred the first one.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
I watched Castlevania season 3. I did not like it at all. Like season 2, it felt all over the place and some of the characters in there felt weren't needed at all. Also learned that Warren Ellis wrote the show based off wikipedia articles which is...kinda dumb and felt like he didn't give a shit, and now I feel the show is just something else with Castlevania paint over it. Like yeah, I get it, CV3 barely has any story to begin with, but he incorporated Curse of Darkness stuff and is planning to adapt the series long term if it's still successful.

I liked Issac's arc and some parts at episode 10, but it's biggest weakness is the shallow focus of too many characters and stories jumping all over the place in 10 episodes which makes it feel slow, and then it feels too fast by episode 9 and 10. I dunno, I'm not gonna check a season 4 if they announce one anytime soon because I gave them a chance after season 2, but they didn't really deliver tbh.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished both Dickinson and Hunters. Both were sadly rather middling

Hunters seemed to be a comical nazi-hunting series. Or at least kinda sold itself like it. Though while watching it often felt like a series with an identity crisis in which it wasn't neither a good comical nazi-hunting series nor a good drama. The performance of the actors are good and it is shot nice.
What I found disgusting in it were the scenes which took place in concentration camps. There were some over the top scenes like jews being living chess pieces. And if one "piece" would beat another "piece" it had to slit their throat. Or a casting show were a Nazi would shoot people for the most benign reasons. Doing something like this does both, lessen the dramatic scenes you want to have and more importantly, downplay the real suffering in concentration camps.
It also wants to make a point about how after WW2 America took Nazi scientists in. Maybe it was because I learned it in school but the show really wants to shock you with the knowledge as some sort of secret that no one talks about. Up your history lessons, USA.

Then there was Dickinson. I get what it was going for with combining modern music, tropes, etc. with a sort of classical backdrop. I don't really like this but it isn't for me so I won't judge it on that. I am also as mentioned earlier not versed in the work of Emily Dickinson so I am probably also not the target group for that.
For me it is also a show that bites of more than it can chew. It tries to be a dramady showing how hard women had it back then with the expectations a male dominated society had on them and how they had little to no rights. On top of that it tries to tell a same-sex lovestory, a few hetero love-story, family drama and some other things that I can't name of the to of my head right now. At some of it it succeeds (especially showing how fucked up it was for women back then) but at the same time it often varies between dramatic scenes and somethings that I would expect from 30 Rock.
And some episodes are pretty good. I think it was episode 7 were there is an election that has some funny moments compared to our times. An America with multiple political parties and someone wishing for only two to make things easier or a joke about how if you want to vote progressive your only choice is the Republican Party. And it has a good commentary on men who view themselves as the decent ones in the public but are monsters in private. That was a really good episode and I wished if it were more like that.
But right the next episode had me looking at my TV in confusion. Especially since the show is I think almost entirely women lead. Spoilers for the middle part: One character is away for a few episodes because she is going to work as a governess. The reasons for that are related to the story so I won't go into that. There are a few scenes with her working and it is heavily implied/shown how she is sexually abused if not raped. Later in a dreadful christmas episode the same character is talking with another character who thinks about working as a governess. The former governess then says she can't recommend it. The way the camera cuts and the line is delivered feels like a joke. Maybe I see it wrong but that moment felt wrong to me.
There are some other cool casting choices like Wiz Khalifa as Death.
If I would recommend it then because it is not that much of a time commitment (10 episode around 30 minutes) compared to other shows out there and there is some good stuff in there.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Finished latest Doctor Who season, if one takes away most of the filler episodes, which were most of the season... it was an amazing season! I saw some of the murmur of the origin of the Time lords but I loved it, it injected some real mystery,

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Happy international women's day!

On this special day, I'd love to highlight this 'Asadora' or morning drama that was aired in 2015. It's a very inspirational drama about the life story of Asako Hirooka or Asa, the 'spark' of feminist movement and the progress of women's roles in early 20th century Japan. The drama depicts the challenges faced by Asa, in a very much male dominated society, and how she overcomes them triumphantly. Later, she became the founder of the first female university in the country. Just like every other Asadora, it's 156 episodes long with 15 minutes episode each, but I loved every moment of it. Great cast, great characters, and most importantly, great story. Do give it a watch if you have the means to do so.

Asa ga Kita (Sunshiny Asa)

"They say you need to fall down 7 times and get up 8 times. In my case, I must fall nine times to get up ten times!"
— Asa

Reactions: lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Wait, eveyone is hating on the Doctor Who finale!? I thought it was great! So what that they made the Doctor have even more special origin, the doctor has always been godlike so I don't mind a new origin.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Watched Uncut Gems this weekend and it was anxiety the movie lol. these types of movies where everything is a bad decision or goes wrong are stressful. I definitely didnt expect that ending lol

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Wait, eveyone is hating on the Doctor Who finale!? I thought it was great! So what that they made the Doctor have even more special origin, the doctor has always been godlike so I don't mind a new origin.
There was a twitter that critiqued it and gave some good points, will find it an link it later

For now tho
Hyyyyyyppppppeeee

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I re-watched Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the other day. Felt like a movie about the Coronavirus.

Anyone else who has Corona movie tips (beyond movies explicitly about viral infections)?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I re-watched Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the other day. Felt like a movie about the Coronavirus.

Anyone else who has Corona movie tips (beyond movies explicitly about viral infections)?
10 Cloverfield Lane!

John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are great in it.

Reactions: d00d3n

Deleted member 113

Here are a few fun documentaries about cinema, for those who are stuck at home, from director Mark Hartley:

ELECTRIC BOOGALOO - the wild, untold story of Cannon Films:

NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD - the wild, untold story of Ozploitation!:

These are NSFW, especially the second one, but if you are stuck at home your boss probably won't mind. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Deleted member 113

There's a lot of obscure films, particularly in the Noir genre, to watch for free at:

That will keep me busy for some time... ;)

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
caught 1917 over the weekend. I enjoyed it because of course Deakins the god and the "one shot" gimmick was really cool visual trick.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Anyone watching the new season of Westworld? It's a great watch even though it's been "dumbed-down" a little (probably HBO's interference to get people to watch) without Sir Anthony waxing poetic about existentialism. Still, it's rich with symbolism and as well-shot as the preceding two seasons.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
finished the third season of Ozark a couple days and it was really good. The ending to the season certainly took my by surprise

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
As an Indian, it's kind of my duty to share the gospel of Indian films.

Highly recommend watching the Indian fantasy epic Bahubali duology. If only for the scenes like this

It's on Netflix with subs.
Looks entertaining :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Sadly it is not available on German Netflix.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
watched Birds of Prey last night and ill be honest it was fun as hell. loved the bright colors everywhere, the humor was pretty good, MEW probably had teh best line of the movie, and Robbie was still good as harley.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Saw Vivarium today and it was pretty good! Love me some weird movies.

Started also watching Devs, only seen the first episode but seems great!

Overall weird and mysterious Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Red Dwarf Series 13 is out

Also BBC may not own the Red Dwarf series anymore, but I think it's a little charming, only a LITTLE that they kept their uploads of clips from the show...because they're at best 240p from the olden days of Youtube.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I've been hooked on Babylon Berlin (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb after Schnitzelfee recommended it to me last week. Finished the first season, and it's an incredible show so far. It's in German (but with English subtitles). Netflix has it in some countries too, which is a plus in times like these.

It's a drama set in Weimar Germany, really high production values, and an amazing cast.