Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I do have one big issue with that last sequence though. As much as everything before it really is great, there's one part of it that just completely failed for me.

The soundtrack.

This deserved a bit of joy on the musical side, and wanting to keep the suspense all the way through perhaps meant they restrained themselves from really going all-in with violins and tugging at our heartstrings... But that just makes rewatching it a bit frustrating. I think it deserved a bit more musical glory.
It was still a mix of "western" and "star wars" themes and while in character with the show it stood out because we all associate Lukes face with the fantastic score by John Williams. They tuned into "the force theme" for good reasons during the reveal.
The music worked well enough on my first watch, especially as I wasn't sure if they were baiting me with the lightsaberhilt and the hand. I was on the edge and the music helped with the suspense.
On my second watch though, yes the music stood out for me too.

Reactions: Swenhir

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
If you haven't watched Cobra Kai yet you should ask yourself "Why haven't I watched Cobra Kai yet?" and change that asap. I don't even have any nostalgia for the original movie and think it is great.

Reactions: Tizoc

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Was another great episode, I haven't read the books so it was crazy.
Yeah!

Damn, what an episode. How horrifying the asteroid hits were, and how accurately they were able to portray that terror of seeing one hit. And the impossibility of getting through to command, it was just riveting, in the best and worst ways.

The inevitable betrayal on Tycho was also really well executed. However, I was expecting that claustrophobic, right-arm of Fred Johnson to do the deed, so a bit of a surprise there! Wonder what's going to happen with the protomolecule too.

Next one Dec 30th I believe.

Reactions: Pommes and Prodigy

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Today on My life with neuroses -

I don't watch shows adapted from books. I want to experience the book first. But I can't read these 500+ pages big babies.
So I miss everything.

Galaxy brain :smart-thinking-blob:

• Sad
Reactions: ISee and Stevey

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Gets a YT recommended video of upcoming Netflix series 'Shadow and Bone'
Look it up on TVTropes; it's young adult fiction, aight I'm down for the books
Goes to look up who the primary cast are

:thinking-face:

Reactions: ISee

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I have started watching The Expanse due to a recommendation from a friend of mine.

Only 4 episodes into series 1 so far, but am enjoying it.(y)
Nice :cool:, and as Swenhir said 1st season is the hardest to get through (still a good season though, just not as good as later seasons). I believe this is because they throw viewers in the deep end but it is worth it.

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Wonder Woman 1984

I liked it a lot, but I felt it went on way too long. Trim the stuff from her youth and maybe a couple of the Steve fish out of water scenes and it would probably produce a better movie. Longer doesn't mean better. Makes me nervous about the JL Snyder cut because I've heard it is going to be 4 hours long... Wtf? Anyway, great performances from Pedro Pascal and Chris Pine. Gal Gadot and Kristin Wiig were solid. Great action scenes and visuals. I keep going back and forth in my head over whether I prefer it over the original... The length bothered me.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Watched Wonder Woman 1984.

I liked the first movie far more. Boring, uninteresting, weird pacing. Pedro Pascal, Chris Pine and Kristen Wiig were best here.

Very mediocre for me, sadly. Nothing was as good as the no man's land scene in the first movie.

• This!
Reactions: Prodigy and ISee

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Watched Wonder Woman 1984.

I liked the first movie far more. Boring, uninteresting, weird pacing. Pedro Pascal, Chris Pine and Kristen Wiig were best here.

Very mediocre for me, sadly. Nothing was as good as the no man's land scene in the first movie.
Yeah, I did not enjoy it. Way too long, so many plotholes etc...
I hated what they did with Chris. I'm not even talking about the thing the media talks about, just him being in another person was off putting enough, and took me out of the film.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I really loved that prison break segment, as well as the whole chase/tailing of the convey ending in that damn cliffhanger. I'm a sucker for space-flight things so this was fantastic, albeit a little unrealistic given that these unmanned birds should be able to pull upwards of hundreds of G's and be far outside of human reaction times.

Regardless, the one complaint I have is the Roci's core being sabotaged. Didn't see it coming, and I feel like I missed something. It was foreshadowed though, in hindsight. Still, the Marco/Naomi dynamic is really interesting. Marco is a tell-tale narcissist and the way he keeps everyone around him by weaving fear and flattery around them is really amazing characterization.

Reactions: Prodigy

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
This year I may finally decide to watch every MCU movies (just watched Iron Man 1) or Star Wars movies (dropped the franchise at Attack of the Clones ?). It should be doable, if I can get past my irrational hate for the second trilogy.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018

Just ordered this, should be here Sunday.
Did you watch it in the cinema?
I saw it quite recently I think, and I had high hopes for it because I enjoyed Nolan's other movies such as Inception and Batman trilogy. But I was a bit disappointed with Tenet. But I hope you will enjoy it more than I did in your home cinema ;)

Reactions: dummmyy and Stevey

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
But I was a bit disappointed with Tenet
How come? I wasn't disappointed but I had the feeling I was being lied to the entire time for some reason. Acting was great from every person on the cast, I thought! Was worthwhile, but I couldn't shake the aforementioned feeling.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
How come? I wasn't disappointed but I had the feeling I was being lied to the entire time for some reason. Acting was great from every person on the cast, I thought! Was worthwhile, but I couldn't shake the aforementioned feeling.
just that it didn't live up to all the hype I think. but I perhaps need to re-watch it few times to fully grasp the story?

• This!
Reactions: dummmyy

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
New Season of the Netflix Transformers series is up
Not liking how Scorponok is depicted in it XP
Comics spoiled me by making him a scheming scientist

Also Sky Lynx is too tiny, wtf....

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
the new years Doctor Who special was OK. mainly because it was fun to have Capt Jack back.

Companion Spoiler
i def dont mind seeing Ryan and Grahm go i just wish it would have stayed the Doctor and Yas instead of whoever they teased at theend coming aboard

Reactions: lashman

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Sorry didn't see your post.
I really loved that prison break segment, as well as the whole chase/tailing of the convey ending in that damn cliffhanger. I'm a sucker for space-flight things so this was fantastic, albeit a little unrealistic given that these unmanned birds should be able to pull upwards of hundreds of G's and be far outside of human reaction times.

Regardless, the one complaint I have is the Roci's core being sabotaged. Didn't see it coming, and I feel like I missed something. It was foreshadowed though, in hindsight. Still, the Marco/Naomi dynamic is really interesting. Marco is a tell-tale narcissist and the way he keeps everyone around him by weaving fear and flattery around them is really amazing characterization.
About Roci
It's funny that you say you didn't see it coming, when I see the most complaints about this particular episode was how James should have seen it coming and not needed Naomi to contact him, considering a traitor was the lead on repairing the ship (Btw the books actually fix this missing information by showing that they did do a check but the code was masked to make it look like the Roci was fine.

And agreed the prison escape and trailing mission were very well done. Amos and Peaches should be a fun watch with the earth expedition.

Reactions: Pommes and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I just finished Wolfwalkers and I have to say, I loved it. The art style is quite interesting but most of all, the story and its telling are superb. Recommended.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yo the new netflix Lupin series is magnifique.
Very very good news. I sorta liked the trailer and Omar Sy has a huge charisma appeal, but I feared it would be boring.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Has anybody been watching THE STAND? interested, but i don't know if i want to subscribe to CBS all acess

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hey I watched a movie ! :cold-sweat:

It was Incredible Hulk (2008)
Ya, no wonder I never watch movies with these selection skills.

More seriously I'm glad I did, and I strangely didn't hate it.
Plot is paper thin, acting is just there, and it's boring as a tax form.

On the plus side it's not Hulk (2003).

Maybe I'm just glad to have finally watched what appeared to be one of the less interesting MCU movies for me. But even with all that said, I... I think there just isn't enough meat on this bone to really hate it.

2/5 stars - because they tried very little, but on the flip side they didn't epic fail.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Things I learned today : there is no Windows Disney+ App.
Only for Xbox.

Now my question is, don't every streaming service limit your stream quality if you use it in a browser ? Last I heard you had to use the windows app of Netflix, for example, to get the best quality.
NOT that it's a problem, I'm just installing those apps because, I use my TV for video streams anyway. But still.

I wonder if I would have any issue buying or renting Won't You Be My Neighbor ? in my US itunes account. Surely not. That would be the end of my 2020 white whale.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Watched
Doctor Who S02E03
Agatha Raisin S01E04
Iron Man 2

And surprisingly nothing was shit !
For once Doctor Who was bearable, Agatha Raisin was Agatha Raisin, and Iron Man 2... I know I have a blind spot with IM1. I didn't and still don't really like it. This one, while I totally imagine fans would disagree, was surprisingly passable to me. Nothing incredible, a little of a mess, but good watch*.

For the record one big part of my dislike for IM1, among other nitpicks, is that I can't stand the whole Obadiah Stane plot-line. If you ask me to select a rotten trope, the father figure turning sinister mofo trying to take control of the business is up there.

*though a word of warning, take care of the plot holes, they are deep enough for your brain to disappear and never be seen again.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Watched Cobra Kai S03.

It's a bit corny and cheesy. Not the best show out there, but they took the original material and are going with it in a sympathetic and good way.
Wish modern media would have treated Star Trek and Star Wars with half the amount of care... sigh

A bit of a guilty pleasure, but if you liked the original chances are high you'll enjoy the show.

---

Also watched six episodes of The Expanse Season 05.
Now that is still a fantastic show. That one is getting a general: What are you waiting for recommendation --> Go watch it.

Reactions: Swenhir

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Y'all need to watch through the Netflix Lupin series already if ya haven't
Shoot watch it and post about what criticisms you would have about it, least watch it

Omar Sy's sexiness and savvy is invigorating

Shit this'd be the kinda thing lashman would championing from atop a podium if he knew who the primary antagonist is in this show :V

Reactions: Pommes

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Last week I watched the Netflix manga adaptation Alice in Borderland. The premise of people being caught in a mysterious mirror world of Tokyo and having to partake in lethal challenge room games in order to survive is pretty intriguing, and the first three episodes are surprisingly violent and suspenseful. How disappointing with the Lord of the Flies copy paste stuff and the unbearable emotional outbursts after that, though ...

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Watched Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai and that was somethin' else! I loved it!!! I'll have to hunt down a physical copy of the 4k restoration for myself.
An underrated and amazing movie, glad I'm not the only one who liked it :). Actually read the Hagakure after that!

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao and dummmyy

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Wow, i don't think i've watched Ghost Dog for about a decade. I already had a copy of the Hagakure but hadn't read it until i watched the film back at release. Classic movie, good to hear it still holds up and the soundtrack is legendary.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I really liked the character development with Naomi, Filip and that old dude. I also really enjoy that twist on the airlock where they built up the expectation of suicide and even of a possible explosives with that detonator-looking thing in her hand. Even the chapter captions are trolling the viewer's expectations. Really, really well played there.

What I didn't enjoy was all of their heel face turns at the end. I somehow still expect it to be an act, and I'm pretty sure it can't be. It makes sense to me but on an emotional level it sure seems quick.

Also, Holden and Alex being so close to each other is really heartwarming, as is Alex and Bobbie's chemistry. I loved the whole "surprise!" part when they tried to board the razorback.

Reactions: Prodigy