Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Watched it with my family
We have watched all the Bond movies in the past 30 years and we are shocked that they killed him. James Bond is like the superman in spy movie... The ending feels very impactful and I love the movie but the villain this time really took a backseat. He is so uninteresting outside the starting scene.
Yeah I was actually emotionally moved. There are lots they could have done better, like the villain you said but also I would have loved seeing more of the new 007, but just slightly, it was Bonds movie after all. All in all I really liked it.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
A Tale Dark & Grim is more of a dark and grim animated series aimed at younger viewers
than a horror series
At least from the first 2 episodes I watched.

Anyways, a new Kay & Skittles~

Deleted member 113

I'm a bit behind on my log... :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Night 9:

On Saturday, I was tired as hell, so I opted for an old, reliable choice.
For those unfamiliar with it, Night of the Creeps is a tribute to "b-movies", mixing a bit of 50's sci-fi with 80's horror.
It aims to please the horror fans: pretty much every character takes its name from a famous genre film director (Carpenter, Cronenberg, Raimi, Landis, Cameron, Hooper, ...), there's plenty of one liners and silly dialogues, a catchy soundtrack (including a couple of Stan Ridgway tunes), well known character actors (like Tom Atkins), and an overall fun attitude, making it a good flick to watch with a group of people.

Night 10:

Like I mentioned before, my wife doesn't like to watch older films, so we ended up watching (in my case, rewatching) Sorority Row yesterday.
This one is supposed to be a "reimagining" of The House on Sorority Row, the 80's slasher film, hence the title. It's also painfully mediocre. Despite being a 2009 film, it's your typical 90's post-Scream slasher film, but at least throws in some minor nudity like most 80's efforts.

Hilariously enough, despite not really enjoying it, it's probably one of the films I've watched the most during my Halloween marathons in recent years, for a silly reason. I received two copies of the Blu-Ray, one damaged, and a replacement. I used the case of the damaged copy to place another film, and since then, the disc of the damaged copy has remained inside my Blu-Ray player, essentially working as a "dust cover" of sorts. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
So, in recent years, whenever it's close to midnight, and I need to find a film to watch fast (to start watching it before the day ends; rules are rules), I start this one, since it's already inside the player. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Niiiice

October 10th

Was going to watch apollo 18 today but the disc wont play on any blu ray player I have.

So I watched The Green Knight instead.

Fantastic film, although not very halloween-y
Holmes
There isn't some ironclad rule
that dictates
that ONLY horror movies
must be watched in October
:V

Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
October 11th

Watched Hereditary.

Second time watching this movie, obviously not as impactful the second time round. Still a great horror movie, probably the best I've seen in recent years. So creepy and unsettling.

Also picked up on a few details I missed the first time round.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've been watching Foundation.

It's pretty good so far. It's not at the same level as The Expanse-good, but it's getting up there.

Deleted member 113

Night 11:

Last night, I watched this indie flick, and it was quite underwhelming.
I'm a sucker for films that take place during a restricted period of time (particularly during the course of one night, like this one), and/or a restricted geographical location (in this case, it's a radio station), so this one had that going for it.
It starts off well enough (someone turning into a vampire inside a locked radio station, during her last transmission), and some of the cast, particularly Caroline Williams (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2), and the late Nicholas Tucci (You're Next), are quite enjoyable in this, but is quickly loses focus, and turns into a bit of a mess. After some time, it was apparent the director and screenwriters ran out of ideas, and we start getting some random, senseless scenes (for the sake of trying to be "weird"; it's like bargain basement David Lynch), and an ending that tries to be "deep", but it's mostly pointless, and I doubt many people will care to try to make sense of some of the later scenes.
Worse of all, the film drags. After the middle mark, I was becoming quite bored with it. And this coming from a guy that loves long films. What's funny is that the film runs... 75 minutes! Less, without credits. So, clearly the pacing of the film was quite off.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
October 13th

Halloween (2018)

For me, the Halloween series is my favourite horror series.
Hard to believe that it's now in it's 5th decade.
This one retcons the "original" films (2,4,5,&6)
I grew up on these movies and just the music, Haddonfield, Michael Myers, it's just all so goood.
This one is a great entry in the series - the only low points for me being H20 and Ressurection, but I still wouldnt say they're bad movies.
Also enjoyed the Rob Zombie ones.
Looking forward to Kills and Ends

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

Sadly, yesterday it was a bust. I was unable to watch anything before midnight, so my main goal (to watch at least one horror film a day) is failed. :confounded-face:

• Sad
Reactions: dummmyy and Stevey

Deleted member 113

Watch 2 on another day :blobmorning2:
It's silly, but I look forward to this month every year, and I'm a bit "rigid" in terms of fulfilling this goal. :)

I have a couple of "alternative" goals (one of them being to watch at least 31 films during the month), but I'm still disappointed about this. Especially since yesterday was a particularly shitty day. :disappointed-face:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Finished Squid Game, was really good.
On season 2 of "See" now, also been great. Very high budget and always good to see the Banshee and Warrior creator doing more work.

• Love
Reactions: dummmyy

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
On season 2 of "See" now, also been great. Very high budget and always good to see the Banshee and Warrior creator doing more work.
I'm almost done with Squid Game and yeah it is so good! Didn't think I would like it as much as I do since the concept seem little too simple so I am glad I was wrong.

Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm almost done with Squid Game and yeah it is so good! Didn't think I would like it as much as I do since the concept seem little too simple so I am glad I was wrong.
Yeah, I also didn't think I would be as hooked as I was.
There was another show Alice in Borderland which I knew nothing about, and that ended up being good with a semi similar concept, (although the second half wasn't as good as first half).

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

not at all what I was expecting but I am loving the feel of it! Seems much more action than I anticipated.
That is a hell of a trailer. The theme is incredible and I love how they are keeping the Riddler stuff a mystery because they sure as fuck spoiling everything else from the movie with these trailers.

Anyways The Batman, Black Adam, Flash and Aquaman 2 next year.

and Wonder Woman 3 + Shazam 2 in 2023.

DC is fucking stacked. I love it.

Also pumped for Peacemaker show on HBOMax in January tho I wasn't too big of a fan of Cena from the new SS movie. I would rather see more from Harley or even Polka Dot man lol.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Now nearly finished the second season, believe there is one more episode (yet to air). Was a strong season overall.

I am now watching Babylon 5 for the first time, just finished season 1 and going to start the second this evening. There was some really corny episodes that are obviously a product of the time and the first season finding its footing. But man when some of the episodes hit, they really hit. Also shout out to some guest side actors they have these crazy voices and ways of speaking that they sound like they have come from the stage.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I am now watching Babylon 5 for the first time,
Be prepared for moments in each season where you go "OMFG! That's why they said that or did that thing!" even in episodes that feel like "Monster of the week" type filler there's a scene or line or two that your subconscious will link back to later on. It's great. Sure there are some parts that show it's budget or the fact it's nearly 30 years old now but after watching all the seasons the final season with it's various outcomes for the characters is still great tv as far as i'm concerned. So many intertwined stories and character development, good stuff.

I actually think it's way better than DS9 but i can see how others would think differently.

( There's also a ton of stuff that you realise references previous media or influenced future media which makes it a great watch too )

• Love
Reactions: Stevey and Prodigy

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Just finished watching The Sopranos for the first time ever and now there's a void in my life I have no idea how to fill...
the last season was just :sweaty-blob:

• Hug
Reactions: Le Pertti

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Some time ago I asked if there was any interest in an thread for the Wheel of Time series.
Since there was some interest and Amazon Prime is currently doing a big marketing push before the release of the series in the next month i made a small thread:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
October 19th

Army Of Darkness
Probably my least favorite of the series, but I still enjoy it.
More comedy than the first two films.
Also, it's where Duke Nukem got a few of his one liners from.

October 20th

Evil Dead
I'd be the first person to say that Evil Dead doesn't need a remake, but this is a solid horror movie.
More emphasis on seriousness and the effects are obviously better.
Definitely worth seeing.

Reason: Spelling, lol
Last edited:

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
I watched Nightmare Before Christmas in its entirety for (what I think is) the first time. It's actually pretty charming. I didn't realize that Tim Burton didn't write nor direct the film. Feel like i've been lied to for some reason hahaha. Anyway, was nice! Perfect for the time, actually.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
October 22nd

Was planning to watch The Lighthouse, but I've seen it a few times recently.
So I watched The Burning.
This is an old slasher film I first saw about 20+ years ago.
Picked it up on blu ray the other day.
I feel like it's pretty unheard of, but for me it's better than Friday The 13th.
The story is standard stuff.
Soundtrack by Rick Wakeman and special FX by Tom Savini.

Deleted member 113

October 22nd

Was planning to watch The Lighthouse, but I've seen it a few times recently.
So I watched The Burning.
This is an old slasher film I first saw about 20+ years ago.
Picked it up on blu ray the other day.
I feel like it's pretty unheard of, but for me it's better than Friday The 13th.
The story is standard stuff.
Soundtrack by Rick Wakeman and special FX by Tom Savini.
Featuring:

• Toucan
Reactions: dummmyy and Stevey

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Got around to binging on this the past week as the last episode was a week ago.

But yea another solid season for AHS. Both features could have used an additional episode to really wrap things up. I don't know if Covid fucked them up or what since they didn't do it last year. The whole thing felt way too ambitious for only 10 episodes. Still tho the quality was great and everything was entertaining.

Loved the setting in the first feature. The family had good chemistry. Wasn't a fan of the pill stuff at first but like always they keep pushing the themes too far which works out for the storytelling. And all the Eisenhower/Nixon stuff in the 2nd was solid. The 2nd feature felt more like a comedy than horror lol. The college students definitely needed more story.

Macaulay Culkin and Sarah Paulson were both good. Especially Paulson. Would have loved to see more quicksilver in the season but I guess he had much better shit to do like Mare of Easttown (amazing show btw)

My favorite season is still 5 Hotel. It oozed with atmosphere and performances were good too. I got to give them credit for all these years they still put out good stuff. Even the boring seasons turn out to be entertaining for stretches. And these past 3 seasons have been fantastic.

I need to finish up stories. I only saw the first 3 or so episodes. Didn't seem great but decent enough. Its Halloween season so wtvr :p

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

I watched it on Saturday morning, maybe at 9am? Finished it by lunchtime.

Dune is one of my favourite books. Villeneuve's adaptation is in my opinion, the most faithful adaptation of Dune ever conceived. It is long and mostly driven by plot, so it lends little to characterisation, something that the book went to a great length to describe. Nevertheless, it was a great watch. The sound design is excellent, and the visual design looks like they're worth their value in spice~!

I love Jason Momoa in this. Seems like he's having the most fun out of all of them, although Dave Bautista did look menacing as "Beast" Rabban. My only complaint is that we didn't see Gurney strumming a baliset. Oh well, there's something to look forward to in Part Two.

Reactions: Cacher and Stevey

Deleted member 113

October 25th
The Blair Witch Project.

Always loved this film, I can remember when it came out with all the internet marketing and we wasnt sure if it was real or not.
Also really kick started the "found footage" genre.
I have an extreme, and I do mean extreme dislike for the film. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I was never too fond of the "found footage" genre, but even considering that, I truly find no redeeming value in it.
So much hype for it at launch, and positive reviews, so I went on opening night, and I was bored to tears. Nothing happens. Some guys shake the camera a bit, they walk a bit, they shake the camera some more, and walk some more, and then we reach the end, and... the camera shakes some more. The end. :notlikethisblob:

My wife did get extremely dizzy and unwell while watching it on the big screen, due to the camera movement, so I guess that counts as a laugh? :LOL:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I started what For All Mankind and after the 4th episode I still don't get where this is going... I understand the stakes, it's an alternate history cold war where USSR is winning, but I can't seem to fathom what the end goal is and what they are fighting for, besides beating the russians. Anyone seen it? Does it pick up the pace soon?

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

The Saturn Awards are weird. How is "Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood" a fantasy title?