Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Raised by wolves Is some weird and crazy series!
Haven't started the second season yet but that first season was really good. Its like a good grounded mix of star trek and whatever weird sci-fi video game you can think of heh.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Watched Station Eleven on Hbomax and gotta say it surprised me. A very good show.

A lot of Fallout and TLOU vibes in it with some really good characters.

I think a little bit more action would have made it near perfect but what they lacked in action they definitely made up for in drama.

If you can get past the whole pandemic end of the world stuff check it out.

• Eyes
Reactions: dummmyy and Pommes

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Severance was incredible, well done to Dan and Stiller on the writing and Direction. Can't wait for Season 2.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The new Batman is so boring and even stupid at times. I like the color and atmosphere of the movie, but man the script is bad.... Like, why the fuck Batman needed to knock on people's door to ask for someone? And this happened not once but twice.

On the other hand, I finally started watching Better Call Saul season 1. Pilot episode, yes, but this is truly quality writing. Just dump you into the story and not one single dialogue is wasted. Incredible.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Better Call Saul Season 1 Episode 6

The writing in this episode is impeccable. I don't think there is perfection in this world, but this episode is darn near it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Watched Pierce Brosnan's and Daniel Craig's James Bond sagas. Brosnan's movies are absolute dog shit with the exception of Goldeneye (why do the Russians speak to each other in English though?), and Craig's are very good with the exception of Quantum of Solace.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Haven't posted in a while so here's a small update:
  • Saw the final season of Killing Eve. It was bad. S1 was very good, dunno what happened after that but the following seasons ranged from bad to terrible and the real mystery is why did I even bother...
  • Saw Station 11 and it was a nice surprise. Short, consistent, somewhat innovative and had interesting ideas and execution of non-linear story telling. Mackenzie Davis is also great but she's great in everything, so no news there.
  • Started the second season of Raised by Wolves, saw a couple of episodes but I believe I won't bother watching any more. Apart from the first few episodes from the first season the show was never good and S2 feels even worse.
  • Finally saw Dune and it was great. Villeneuve is a genious and everything he touches turns to gold but I have to wonder how far will his adaptation go, because the novels become quite insane.
  • Saw The Batman and it was a nice surprise. It's not without faults and you can easily spot some limitations, either budgetary or because of the pandemic, but the end result turned out great and, even after so many adaptations, has it's own personality. The fighting choreography needs improvement but fighting wasn't the main draw of the film, not even close, so it's a forgiveable shortcoming.

Watched Pierce Brosnan's and Daniel Craig's James Bond sagas. Brosnan's movies are absolute dog shit with the exception of Goldeneye (why do the Russians speak to each other in English though?), and Craig's are very good with the exception of Quantum of Solace.
Characters speaking in their "native" language is a fairly new innovation in hollywood. Americans don't like to read captions.
I might be misremembering but I'm fairly certain the first big mainstream movie to have characters speak their natural language was Babel, which made a lot of sense in the context of that movie and the Babel mythos.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Characters speaking in their "native" language is a fairly new innovation in hollywood. Americans don't like to read captions.
Oh I understand why it is that way, I just find it very jarring.

Also I watched Mortal Kombat 2021 and wow it's not good.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished Better Call Saul season 1. The final big twist was fantastic and devastating. The show used many of the previous episodes to tell us Howard Hamlin is the "bad guy" in this show. Well well well, looks who actually pulled the trigger behind the explosive twist? The writers really got us well with the narrative. And I guessed this will be the watershed moment that eventually turns Jimmy McGill into Saul Goodman.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ahahah, I'm so shocked by what I just saw that I will spoil it out here. Don't worry it will be duly spoilered.

So I don't know Indian cinema, at all. Except for the recent buzz around these movies on ERA for example, and a mention about the classic Sholay here. Ok.
Then I take a peek about what seems like a 'boring' movie ? KGF Chapter 1, the story of a man who fights a gold company ? Zzzz...
Damn, when the movie does machismo manly man, let me tell you, it goes ALL OUT !

I took a peek when...
A woman surrounded by gangsters ? bodyguards ? tells the protag that if he can lay a hand on her she will be his. But then every bodyguard gets his gun out. The hero retreats, to the hilarity of the men, only to...
Come back in a leaking fuel truck, inundating the ground in it, then lighting a cigarette and slowly going to touch the girl.

I may need to watch Indian cinema.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Still the best experience that I have had when it comes to cinema. Watching it in one of the bigger cinemas in Paris on opening day with other MCU fans was quite something.
Ha, I actually avoided it on the theater because I dislike big crowds at the movies. Yes I'm one of those.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I miss when I had fuck you money and a real home cinema with real disks.

Now all I have is a 2019 ? tv with no sound system or drive. And let’s not talk about the price of 4k blu ray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
My OneX p[ays 4K blurays and i have a decent 4k screen and 5.1 set up.
Going to get a region free Bluray player soon though and retire the Xbox
Said to myself that Bluray/4K is the latest that I'm buying, so if 8K or whatever comes out I'm not rebuying the films I already own on Bluray/4K like I did from VHS/ DVD/ Bluray lol

Reactions: Li Kao

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Why isn't The Abyss on any streaming / download service? My partner has never seen it so i went searching to get it. Could only find a crappy torrent so i ended up buying a DVD! Must be 10-15 years since ive bought a DVD. Ive ripped it and tested it out and its in some weird video format and looks a bit shit. Supposedly its the special edition but it doesn't look particularly special.

No love from Cameron for such a classic, shame. :crying-face:

• This!
Reactions: Kvik and Li Kao

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Could only find a crappy torrent so i ended up buying a DVD!
I had this one for years, but if you can find it on the net somewhere, this is probably the best you can get in HD quality. The source was from an American cable service (can't remember which one).

It's a shame since this is probably Cameron's most under-appreciated work.

Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 190338231294875284216962130769114462529 (0x8F31CF56FFC2CCAF98E7C189F16A7941)
Complete name                            : The Abyss 1989 extended [Open Мatte]  HDTV 1080i.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 10.5 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 43 min
Overall bit rate                         : 9 167 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-10-24 18:13:22
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v7.8.0 ('River Man') 64bit built on Mar 27 2015 16:31:37
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4
Format settings                          : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 8 780 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
Original frame rate                      : 25.000 FPS
Standard                                 : Component
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan type, store method                  : Separated fields
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.085
Stream size                              : 10.0 GiB (96%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 116 ms
Stream size                              : 450 MiB (4%)
Language                                 : English
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No

Reactions: Joe Spangle

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
A friend of mine randomly recommended I should watch Euphoria... Seriously what the actual fuck, that show is all kinds of messed up.
Am I that out of touch? Are teens really like that nowadays or is a US thing?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Just come back from a Shin Ultraman viewing. It was pretty good. The story and dialogues are definitely not on the level of Shin Godzilla. The action sequences though, WOW. All of them are a bit short, but damn they are great to watch.

Going to watch Top Gun Maverick next week. Huge expectation so hopefully it will not let me down.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Cacher TopGun was absolutely fantastic! Sure I didn’t have expectations at all so it helped but still wow. It isn’t very deep but such genuine and awesome ride!
I love the first movie. Honestly think it is a must watch. I basically know nothing about the new movie except Maverick is back so this is very exciting to hear that you love it!

• Gib
Reactions: Le Pertti

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Been watching "Peaky Blinders" on Netflix. I'm usually a big fan of mafia stuff, so i thought this would be kinda the same. It's not really. But I do like it as a period piece. Those early 1900's fashion and technology, the hairstyles and WW1 fatigue. I find all of that quite interesting. It's also quite interesting as a character drama. As a crime drama? I'm not so sure...

Up to Season 5, episode 3 now. Season six just came out and it's the end Netflix says. I'll check my feelings when I get to the end of it i reckon.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Watching Bobba Fett on Disney+ and it's better than I expected. Some of the chase sequences look a bit clumsy, but other scenes like the train hijacking are very well done.

Also finished the 5 released episodes of Stranger Things season 4. I really love that show!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Finished season 3 of Barry...and yep another masterpiece from Hader. The last 3 episodes were so fucking good. Can't remember the last time I watched a season of a tv show that ended so strong. In fact I can't remember the last time I watched a tv show in which the first 3 seasons are all 10 out of 10. Can't recommend the show enough for those who haven't seen it yet. Its really really amazing.

Also predictions for S4

If the entire next season is just Barry and Fuches breaking out of prison it would be the best shit ever. Please let it be that lol.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Finished Rutherford Falls, I usually don't watch these type of shows, but the Native American cast had me hooked. I'm not a huge fan of Ed Helms, either but it's a good watch! Very good show both S01 and S02 had me captivated.

Reactions: Cacher

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Alrighty, Peaky blinders, done.

As a crime drama, I think it doesn't hold up but as a a family/character drama? Bravo, 9/10. No real complaints, most of the loose ends were tied up. Curious how Tommy Shelby's story ends, and if Finn ever makes good on his threats but even so... a solid series for sure. Definitely one of the better Netflix series that's for sure.

Didn't quite scratch my mafia itch. 😅

Reactions: Cacher and Pommes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Currently watching the recent release of Lawrence of Arabia 4k UHD.

(not my pic, but this is the edition I got)

The Dolby Vision looks amazing on my OLED. No DNR in sight, so you can expect visible grains in every frame. :flare_bath:

Review here (the 4-disc edition mentioned in the review is the same as the steelbook edition above):

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I finished watching Kenobi and I gotta say it was fantastic.

I wasn't expecting this to be so good. Expectations were low and they blew them away. This was even better than Mandalorian S1 and S2 imo.

My only real gripe with the show is them jumping so far into the future after RotS. As good as this season was it should have been season 3 or 4 instead of the first. They blew an opportunity to build all these characters and stories. All the stuff with the Sith Inquisitors and Vaders rise. The two kids etc. They should have taken their time and build on this great time period in between the trilogies. Its kind of weird Disney rushed into these stories like this. Its not like they are making more movies anytime soon. I don't believe the 10th, 11th or 12th movies are even in the beginning production. A show like this would have been massive for many years if they took their time. They could have had something really incredible but they blew it. Maybe they'll do season 2 but it seems like this will just be a limited series. Its a shame but hey something is better than nothing. I loved RotS and I think I loved this even more. But 6 episodes is just not enough :(

• This!
Reactions: dummmyy

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
At last, finished The Haunting of Hill House.
So yeah, it’s boring, barely a ghost house show and could have easily been less than 10 episodes. But what it does, it does it right.

Final episode, tears, sniffing, light bawling were had. It punches hard. I hope the rest of Flannagan’s work is as good as this.

Oh I also binge watched Love Death Robots s3. Pathetic. It continues the downward spiral of s2. The boat episode was good but nor incredible, and Jibaro was as good as it was painful to watch. Put the rest in the trash.