Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

Deleted member 113

How was Werewolf by Night ?
The trailer was nice.
Do note I'm not really a fan of modern superhero/Marvel stuff, and I don't like excessive CGI, and I only watched it because it was around 50 minutes, and yesterday I was tired as hell, and it was late, so I really didn't want to watch something with 90+ minutes. :)

Having said that, I... enjoyed it. It was relatively harmless, in the sense there's not much to the story, but I did like the style, that was closer in tone to a classic Universal monsters flick, than something I would normally expect from current day Marvel, and I would totally watch some more stuff like this, as opposed to yet another Superhero/Star Wars series.

Marvel had some cool 70's horror comics, I hope they do consider adapting stuff like Tomb of Dracula in this form, even if it is for a yearly Halloween short.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the acting. The actors made it fun to watch. They really got into the spirit of the material. It's a "retro" piece, but they treat it with respect, instead of comically (like something, say, Machete). I hope some of these characters may return in some form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Didn't see these posted in the thread but looks like Netflix decided to go crazy for the end of the year and win the best streaming service of 2022 award. Its crazy how much they are able to release every year. My backlog for that service is becoming bigger than my Steam backlog.

But yea all of them look really good.

And I can't believe that madman NWR is making another series. Too Old to Die Young was very fucking good and probably most underrated series on Prime to this day. And Copenhagen Cowboy looks even better.

Wtvr he makes I am there. Pumped for December.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I gave Star Wars Andor a fair go, and it's actually pretty decent. Great, even.

The 3-episode arc structure isn't anything new, but it's well-executed in this series. It's rather refreshing to see a Star Wars series without any Jedi or force power stuff.

If I can pry myself long enough from my anime backlow, I'll give the next 3 episodes a watch too.

Reactions: Pommes and yuraya

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Watched Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 2 & 3 this week and last week. Good fun films and the effects hold up pretty well... for the most part.
I think even "the kids", there were definitely a bunch of people under 20 watchingalong too, enjoyed them which was good to see.

We're watching 4 & 5 tomorrow. They aren't the host's favorites but people kept saying they wanted to watch them so she relented and we're having a final Elm Street watchalong tomorrow. I don't think we're going to watch the non "Nightmare" films as part of the series, just sticking to the mainline named films.

It's honestly been years since i saw them and they were still really entertaining, which is good because i loved them in my teens lol and it would be sad to see them age badly.

• Love

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Watched Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 2 & 3 this week and last week. Good fun films and the effects hold up pretty well... for the most part.
I think even "the kids", there were definitely a bunch of people under 20 watchingalong too, enjoyed them which was good to see.

We're watching 4 & 5 tomorrow. They aren't the host's favorites but people kept saying they wanted to watch them so she relented and we're having a final Elm Street watchalong tomorrow. I don't think we're going to watch the non "Nightmare" films as part of the series, just sticking to the mainline named films.

It's honestly been years since i saw them and they were still really entertaining, which is good because i loved them in my teens lol and it would be sad to see them age badly.
Damn, that's wholesome. I love me a good group watchalong.
I just need friends, as my old buddies drifted away :worried-face:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's being streamed by a VTuber and some people watchalong on whatever video provider they have, disks, rips, digital etc and some watch via a discord channel. These watchalongs can be annoying as it can be like you're in a room trying to watch the film while people are chatting over it but they can also be amazing. We watched the Star Wars films with a vtuber who had never seen them and her fresh reactions to some of the plot events that we have had spoiled for decades but she had totally missed were amazing. Same with The Lord of the Rings films.

When it's a smallish group and chat are behaving then it's a great experience. On the other hand one film that was not spoiled by chat and the hosts being chatty was the PRISM Project watchalong of "Who killed Captain Alex". That was an amazing event and so much fun.
Also a drinking watchalong of Cats 2019 where people ended up drinking lots of beer in 2 hours and the host getting tipsy too, phenomenal.

I tend to prefer watchalongs for films i have already seen or am familiar with due to the sometimes disruptive nature of these events but eh, we've all been in group watches which disintegrate because people aren't engaged so whatever and i can always watch the movie/documentary on my own later so no big problem.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I liked Rings of Power S1. The last episode felt a bit rushed, there was a bit too much copying of the LOTR movies, but the overall plotline of it I still found nice.
I enjoyed it a lot. And the twist got me good as I wasn't expecting that in the final episode. It was really well made. The characters and world building was amazing.

They do need a little bit more action in season 2 imo as the earlier episodes in this first season felt a bit boring at times. An entire season is essentially a movie trilogy so they need to have several big battles every season to make it really feel like a 9 hour film. Either way I am excited and can't wait for S2.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I watched Triangle of Sadness recently. Liked it a lot :)

I wanted to link the trailer but it spoils too much... I went in without really know what awaited me and was VERY pleasantly surprised :)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Watched the extended 2hr40min edition and I gotta say....

Easily the worst movie I've seen all year. I don't know how you can have a cast like that with a runtime like that and make something so boring + disappointing. All the grasshopper bs too like who even cares. The fact that this made 1 billion in box office is injustice wtf.

Crazy how 30 years later the OG Jurassic Park film is still the only real good one they made. The third one wasn't too bad either had some memorable moments but everything else was just dumb.

• Toucan
Reactions: LEANIJA and Cacher

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yep. Looks great. I don't get the internet hate for Mario. A fun kids' movie, seemingly no racism, no sexism despite Mario/Peach origins, etc., visually superb too.

I can't wait :D

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Andor, holy shit it was so good! Can’t bloody wait for season 2.
It's a real surprise since I didn't expect it to be so bloody good. It's pretty much the best of anything out of Star Wars in the 21st century. Yes, I think it's even better than Rogue One.

If anything, it has proven that Star Wars doesn't need lightsaber fights or The Skywalkers to tell a good story. In an era where Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and monolithic media conglomerates owns pretty much everything in the entertainment industry, it was a bit of a shock to me that a modern critique of imperialism and anti-fascism is still being made, today, out of Disney, of all places.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
just watched the first episode of The Last of Us show. I liked it! So far its fairly well made – and follows the game storyline pretty well; I couldnt make out any big changes. Its also a quite of a slow show, with 1:30 hrs on the first episode and I think 9 episodes are planned in the first season. I hope they continue it like this, should be good :)

it also makes me wanna replay the game :) but that will have to wait until March.

Reactions: Cacher

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is there any hyped upcoming tv show ? I’m back to sorta in the mood to watch something but the quick look I took a release calendar was dire.

And is Wednesday good ? The trailer was a touch too edgy but it seems to do the job.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Is there any hyped upcoming tv show ? I’m back to sorta in the mood to watch something but the quick look I took a release calendar was dire.

And is Wednesday good ? The trailer was a touch too edgy but it seems to do the job.
New season of Picard and Mandalorian coming soon if you are into those two. Not much else tbh.

I'm personally hyped for new season of True Detective with Jodie Foster but there is still no hard date for that.

Reactions: Li Kao