Community Movies/Shows you have seen recently or looking forward to...

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Watched 4 episodes of I, Claudius. It's amazing how low the productions are compared to today but the actors carry the show big time. One thing for sure is that I hate Livia and her backstabbing habits, that actress does a really good job with her.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Watched 4 episodes of I, Claudius. It's amazing how low the productions are compared to today but the actors carry the show big time. One thing for sure is that I hate Livia and her backstabbing habits, that actress does a really good job with her.
I want to watch this primarily for BRIAN BLESSED

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Blood and Bone

Pretty good DTV martial arts film. It's a shame that Michael Jai White's career has never taken off, dude has an insane amount of charisma and could've been a great action star if we were still in the 80s. 7/10

Shot Caller

That's probably the best role of Coster-Waldau. The character is complex and he's great in the role of an average man who stuck in the prison world. The film itself is pretty cliched crime/prison drama but Waldau and other cast members make it worth watching. 7/10

The Endless

For some reason, the film was advertised as a horror despite the fact that it has more family drama in it than anything that can be described as scary. The story revolves around 2 brothers who escaped a UFO cult and tried to (unsuccessfully) live a normal life until one day they receive a tape from the cult and one of the brothers has an urge to get back to it because life sucks. There's some weird stuff taking place after that and the ending is a bit ambiguous, but overall, it's a pretty boring movie. 6/10

Hellraiser

I love the book and Clive Barker is one of my favourite horror writers, but I guess I watched the movie 20+ years too late. The acting is cheesy, the gore is tamed by the modern standards (it was obviously different in the 80s, but nowadays it pales in comparison with even mainstream examples like later Saw and Final Destination movies), some of the creature designs are outright funny and cenobites themselves look like hardcore BDSM cosplayers. 5/10

Reactions: dummmyy

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
New season of Casa de Papel tonight on Netflix. My expectations aren't too high because nothing can beat the near perfect 1st season, but it will still be much fun to watch.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I've started watching Doctor Who, and gotta say, for a show with such silly villain designs (Daleks, Cybermen) it sure as hell loves to kill buttloads of people in almost every episode. I was ready to give up after the first season, but Tennant's performance hooked me on the show. Is Torchwood worth visiting? From what I've read it's a lot edgier.
Am late to reply to this but series 2 and 3 of Torchwood are good and excellent respectively. Children of Earth is easily as good as the best of NuWho. Yeah, i'll stake that claim.

Mind, ive not seen all of Whittaker's series yet. The Rosa Parks episode left me unsure.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Mitch

Jul 19, 2019
Last night I finished Sharp Objects. What a wild ride. The ending came out of nowhere. Considering picking up the book.

Next up is Mindhunter s2 in August. I was a bit late to finishing s1, but I'm completely on board with more content.

Reactions: lashman

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
I watched Robocop for the first time in hd and it doesn't seem to age that much even after 30 years. The strong anti-corpo message is even more relevant today than it was in the 80's. The satire is sharp as fuck and the action is great too. It has great villains and magnificent cast all around with Kurtwood Smith, Ray Wise, Miguel Ferrer and so many more. Also Basil Poledouris made a hell of a epic soundtrack. It shouldn't be this good with that silly premise and name but it is.

Last edited:

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Went ahead and made a double feature out of As Good as it Gets and About Schmidt today. I hadn't watched any movies in quite some time and both felt rather poignant and caused me to reflect on my own life. Older Nicholson is just as much a gem as he was in his younger years, and I'm appreciative I waited till my current life stage to view each of these. While the former had me wallowing up a bit and laughing my ass off at Nicholson's crass character, it was About Schmidt which I might be dissecting and reminiscing upon tomorrow at work.

I'm glad to watch movies again. It's been a second. Time to go through the rest of what I have on this hard drive.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I rented Shazam and watched with the GF. It was... fine. Solid family-superhero movie. The cast was great and saved the film.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
I rented Shazam and watched with the GF. It was... fine. Solid family-superhero movie. The cast was great and saved the film.
i watched this over the weekend as well and feel the same. they spent far to much time with the "hey lets test what powers i have/can do" stuff

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
i watched this over the weekend as well and feel the same. they spent far to much time with the "hey lets test what powers i have/can do" stuff
That part kind of worked bc, I mean, what would a kid do if they had the power of superman.... It went on maybe five minutes longer than it needed too.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019

Blood Paradise is another example of a movie which somehow doesn't necessarily add up to the sum of its parts. An obvious ode to classic exploitation flicks with nods to Texas Chain Saw Massacre, I Spit On Your Grave, and even a little Tarantino: this movie is stylish, sexy, and even fairly enthralling during the final act. Being the deviant I am, I especially appreciated all the nudity, however this is a film which falls short. Had the protagonist been more developed, the twist been more original, or the violence more unique..
It may have been more memorable. However, a classic this is not. A nice homage, and the director clearly has a foot fetish and an appreciation for women which would both give mine a run for its money, there just isn't much here to go on. I'd be interested in seeing what else the crew behind Blood Paradise is capable of making. If you're going to be this self aware, you really either need to go full blown comedy or knock it out of the park. There are far worse ways to spend an hour and a half, for any fan of sleaze, but I couldn't necessarily recommend Blood paradise to anyone either.

Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Have to start plugging the new season of expanse coming in December.
Don't watch clip if you are wanting to watch the show (which you should).

Reactions: Flips and lashman

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
I tried watching the expanse when i went to amazon....i fell asleep during the first two eps i watched lol
It definitely takes some time to get going. It took me like three tries until it "clicked" for me and the only reason I kept trying is that I love sci-fi stuff and everyone told me how great The Expanse is.

If you're into reading, you could read the first novel before watching the show. It might help to get a grip on the characters and on what's going on.

It helps that the books are pretty good. Some might say that they're even better than the TV show :dabblob:

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
Since I have last posted in this thread, I have seen Spider-Man: Far From Home, Midsommar, and Crawl.

Spider-Man: Far From Home was excellent and I'm excited to see where they go with the return of a certain actor/character and how they handle the fallout from the credits scene.

Midsommar was a decent movie, but I was expecting more from it. It wasn't really a horror movie and I thought it was too absurd by the end.

Crawl was excellent and I think it's my favorite horror movie for the year.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
No, No, No, No, No, No! Not Rutger! RIP, Mr Hauer :(
He was one of a group of actors that not only were in awesome films but also in some stinkers so they could support indie or new filmmakers. You've entertained me for years and years and were an inspiration to many.

Deleted member 113

Really sad to hear about Rutger Hauer. :cry:

I grew up going through the shelves of my local video rental store, "devouring" films, especially from the horror, action, and other similar "genre" cinema sections, so Rutger Hauer was a staple, usually as the villainous bastard. :)

I keep revisiting films like Nighthawks, Eureka, Flesh+Blood, The Hitcher, Blind Fury, and many more.

I know he wasn't young, and it's life I guess, but for a film lover like myself it's always sad to lose some of the names that made me a bit what I am today, especially when I don't see suitable replacements to take up the mantle, both in terms of actors, and directors.

Thanks for all the fun times, Hauer. :dabblob:

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Midsommar was a decent movie, but I was expecting more from it. It wasn't really a horror movie and I thought it was too absurd by the end.
I came out of Midsommar kind of scratching my head. I watched it whenever it was that it came out but can't make up my mind on how I feel about it. It was a nice looking movie, for sure, but I think I disliked the movie. I might have to watch it again.

Reactions: lashman

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Sad to see Rutger Hauer gone. While he had little to do in the 90s and 00s (outside of DTV and couple of supporting roles in Batman Begins and Sin City) he was always a joy to watch, even when he played blind ninja. RIP.

Speaking of Midsommar, does anyone else feels that this new wave of weird american horror flicks isn't working as horror at all? I mean, I liked the VVitch...as a historical piece, not because it was scary or anything like that.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I tried watching the expanse when i went to amazon....i fell asleep during the first two eps i watched lol
Yeah I can see that.

Took me two times to get past the first two episodes, it's unfortunately one of those shows that start a little slow but really starts ramping up until you get to a place where you look back at season 1, and think its changed so much. Quality gets better. Reminds me of Black sails in terms of slow starts to amazing ends. Each season better than the last.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Tizoc FunktionJCB

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
That boxset will be soooooooooooooooooo bought!
I'm waiting for the Amazon link to be up. Although I'm a little wary about how their packaging was getting worse and worse and this box set might get damaged during transit. It's a miracle my Zatoichi boxset didn't get damaged in any way.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Tizoc FunktionJCB

Oooh that's lovely.
Godzilla's foot looks hilarious though.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Last night I started watching Los Espookys and I really liked it.

But the trailer is, in my opinion, shit. It makes it look like it's really fast-paced with inane amounts of dumb humor... which it is not.
The quirkiness/humor (and the editing) is closer to stuff like The Good Place or A Series of Unfortunate Events (i.e., somewhat inspired by Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies).

But man, I'm really not used to "South American" Spanish (don't kill me, I'm perfectly aware that, for example, Chilean Spanish probably doesn't sound even remotely close to Mexican Spanish)... when I was watching La Casa de Papel I could at least manage to get the overall meaning of the sentences.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I'm going to spend money to rent Hellboy (2019) this weekend. Yes I know. I KNOW DAMN IT. I'm a sucker...... I love the Hell Boy comics so much that I'm giving this a chance simply because it follows the comics pretty closely.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I watched The Boys in one sitting and it's fucking great. I always thought that Kripke is a hack writer who is incapable to write anything worth shit, but his adaptation is better than the source material, he turned the usual juvenile trash from Ennis into the show with interesting characters, toned down edginess and added social commentary without being overly preachy (well, there were some episodes there he handled the theme with all the subtlety of an elephant in a small room, but it's not that bad).

The cast is great, Urban is my hero and Starr is really great as creepy Superman (completely unrecognizable from his character in Banshee). I'm not entirely on board with the visual style (not that it's bad, but the color palette looks bland), and that's pretty much the only problem I have after the first season.

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
I watched The Boys in one sitting and it's fucking great. I always thought that Kripke is a hack writer who is incapable to write anything worth shit, but his adaptation is better than the source material, he turned the usual juvenile trash from Ennis into the show with interesting characters, toned down edginess and added social commentary without being overly preachy (well, there were some episodes there he handled the theme with all the subtlety of an elephant in a small room, but it's not that bad).

The cast is great, Urban is my hero and Starr is really great as creepy Superman (completely unrecognizable from his character in Banshee). I'm not entirely on board with the visual style (not that it's bad, but the color palette looks bland), and that's pretty much the only problem I have after the first season.
im 4 eps in and yah its been great. Capitalism baby!

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018

Man, Karl Urban was so good at that nonchalant asshole type he played. My only gripe was that will-they-won't-they romance arch. I felt like it was taking away from the show but I understood its driving force, ultimately. I watched it all within a 24 span. i was enamored by the characters as well. Wasn't familiar with Kripke before this, but after your review I might just leave it to The Boys, lol.

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
i bought a fat stack of blu ray movies: commando, the big lebowski, where eagles dare, chinatown, the wild bunch, robocop, spaceballs, the kingdom of heaven, dario argento collection, mr robot season 3, the man with no name trilogy, the neon demon, the thing, valhalla rising, demolition man, bronson, falling down, mandy, coming to america, sorry to bother you, and two boxes of hitchcock movies 14 all together.

Deleted member 113

i bought a fat stack of blu ray movies: commando, the big lebowski, where eagles dare, chinatown, the wild bunch, robocop, spaceballs, the kingdom of heaven, dario argento collection, mr robot season 3, the man with no name trilogy, the neon demon, the thing, valhalla rising, demolition man, bronson, falling down, mandy, coming to america, sorry to bother you, and two boxes of hitchcock movies 14 all together.
We need a thread to discuss our blu-ray purchases, so I can be shamed. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I have around 3000 Blu-Ray discs, and collecting "home video" releases is definitely my main hobby.

Just today, I pre-ordered the upcoming Limited Edition Blu-Ray boxset of Monty Python's Flying Circus (out in October), and I bought films as different as Holiday in Spain (aka Scent of Mystery), La bambola di Satana, and Kings go forth.

I have on the way the Collector's Edition boxset (Blu-Ray + 4K UHD disc + extras) of Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now, and I received today 15 BDs from Germany (including a boxset with 5 films from Billy Wilder), and a signed Blu-Ray disc of Larry Blamire's The Lost Skeleton Returns Again.
Oh, and two trailer compilations (I'm a sucker for those) from Australian label Umbrella Entertainment, Drive-In Delirium: Dead By Dawn, and Drive-In Delirium: With a Vengeance. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JackPineSavage

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
We need a thread to discuss our blu-ray purchases, so I can be shamed. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I have around 3000 Blu-Ray discs, and collecting "home video" releases is definitely my main hobby.

Just today, I pre-ordered the upcoming Limited Edition Blu-Ray boxset of Monty Python's Flying Circus (out in October), and I bought films as different as Holiday in Spain (aka Scent of Mystery), La bambola di Satana, and Kings go forth.

I have on the way the Collector's Edition boxset (Blu-Ray + 4K UHD disc + extras) of Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now, and I received today 15 BDs from Germany (including a boxset with 5 films from Billy Wilder), and a signed Blu-Ray disc of Larry Blamire's The Lost Skeleton Returns Again. :p
lawd jesus 3000 blu rays! i'm jellous. i don't even have a hundred but i got a few of them dvd:s
lawd jesus 3000 blu rays! i'm jellous. i don't even have a hundred but i got a few of them dvd:s
no wait i have more than hundred now lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

I can't even tell you how many DVDs I have. :giggle:

With Blu-Ray releases, I started making a list, because with the DVD format I ended up forgetting I owned something, and bought it again.

It's pretty much my passion, cinema.
I grew up frequently going to the cinema (3-4 times a week, sometimes more) and "devouring" films on my VHS rental stores, pretty much any genre you can think of. But, I always had a soft spot for Italian cinema in general, and genre films (horror, sci-fi, westerns, action, ...).

In the last few years, since I simply don't connect with most recent films (I like sets, I like practical effects, I like guys in rubber suits; and I really don't like excessive use of CGI effects), I have been going less and less to the cinema, and instead I keep watching older stuff at home. :)

I forgot to mention, you got a lot of great stuff there!
I'm a huge Dario Argento fan (I actually met him, and have copies of Suspira, Profondo Rosso, and more signed with a dedication to me by him, and composer Claudio Simonetti) and the Giallo genre in general, I love Robocop (and Paul Verhoeven), Spaceballs, The Thing is my favourite Carpenter movie (and I love Carpenter), and don't get me started on those spaghetti westerns you bought (I love Sergio Leone!).

EDIT: And Where Eagles Dare! And Hitchcock! And Mandy (I watched that one on the big screen :D).

Last edited by a moderator: