Community New music / recommendations

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Sturgill Simpson's new album is the exact turn his career needed to take. The further this man drifts from his country-roots, the better. I hear lots of QotSA and ZZ Top. Also they're making a Netflix anime basedoff the album... ummm... wha??

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I actually think Björk sounded more "alive" when she was in the band.
Her voice had such a raw, "euphoric" sound to it that she rarely matched with her solo efforts.

I really enjoyed her first two solo albums, but after that, I personally though things started going downhill, and most of the times it sounds like she is trying (too hard) to sound "weird" just for the sake of being weird.
Thats exactly how I feel about Björk, too. ;)
Oh and btw, I really like the Pixies new stuff theyve been releasing since Indie Cindy, including the new album. I always felt the Pixies sound somewhat different with each album, and for me, its really not a matter of comparing old with new, I just see those new albums as good in their own right.

~

"new" album by John Coltrane (meaning: they released a previously unreleased studio session from 1964):

~

new mix of the Beatles' Abbey Road was released recently, includes some demos and other stuff, pretty neat:

Bonney

old and bad
Apr 17, 2019
Another New track from Norma Jean.
I can't wait for this album. The songs they're releasing keep getting better and better.

"I'll burn every bridge in the world"

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
not new, but I still love this album by Das Rage - came out in 2015, and I haven't heard anything by that band since then, basically. Shame how some promising bands just sometimes suddenly vanish.

and looking at Bandcamp made me remember how absolutely great last years "How we made it" by Frøkedal was.

OP

Deleted member 113

I'm getting ready for a "double header" of 70's/80's live music next week.

On Tuesday, I'll see The Psychedelic Furs:

And then, on Wednesday, it's Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
An introduction to Shpongle...

I've posted the video at the start of "When shall i be free" their most well-known or poppy track i think.

Reactions: lashman

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
i'm don't really listen to any subgenre of electronic music, but I've heard a song while I was at the gym and I can't find the title... I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about.

Here goes:
  • no singing
  • mid-tempo
  • there's a long-ish intro that sounds like it was sampled from a SciFi b-movie from the 50s and 60s... like Godzilla (slow march-like drums, quite abrasive horns, deliberately low fidelity)
  • then the beat kicks in (which is rather saturated/distorted) and the song has a very prominent electric guitar (no distorsion, playing mostly high notes, not chords... rather... "funky" ? for some reason it has a 70s or "cop" vibe, if that makes any sense).
thanks !

Edit: the very beginning of the song definitely feels like the first ~20 seconds of this:

Last edited:

JackPineSavage

crazy drunken bastard
Jun 2, 2019
i'm don't really listen to any subgenre of electronic music, but I've heard a song while I was at the gym and I can't find the title... I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about.

Here goes:
  • no singing
  • mid-tempo
  • there's a long-ish intro that sounds like it was sampled from a SciFi b-movie from the 50s and 60s... like Godzilla (slow march-like drums, quite abrasive horns, deliberately low fidelity)
  • then the beat kicks in (which is rather saturated/distorted) and the song has a very prominent electric guitar (no distorsion, playing mostly high notes, not chords... rather... "funky" ? for some reason it has a 70s or "cop" vibe, if that makes any sense).
thanks !

Edit: the very beginning of the song definitely feels like the first ~20 seconds of this:
dat intro sounds similar to this justice song but there's no guitar

Last edited:
OP

Deleted member 113

There's now a video for what's probably my favourite track from the last Pixies album:

Reactions: lashman