Community New music / recommendations

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Today we recommend - oh I see you already got yourself a nice ice cream cone there, let me just sprinkle this little bit of extra on it, I promise you'll like it. There. Try it. It's nice, isn't it. Look, your arms are sparkling. See how the sunlight's suddenly brighter? Whoa, now you're on a beach in Trinidad! Now you're dancing at an open air party! Now you're having the time of your life!

It's on the house, friend.

Alternate links

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Thanks to [UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]CrowsCrowsCrows[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] Discord... this [UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]Cosmic Candy[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] album from [UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]The Orion Experience[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] is damned fine.

Unrelated added bonus found along the way...

Oh, now it makes sense... "The Fine Print (The Outer Worlds Song)"

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
One day I want to make an 80s music album/mix

I just like the music style of the 80s and the insturments used. Thing is I can't exactly Identify said insturments and 'effects' used in some of the songs from then.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
One day I want to make an 80s music album/mix

I just like the music style of the 80s and the insturments used. Thing is I can't exactly Identify said insturments and 'effects' used in some of the songs from then.
Look at some 80's Synths on the web i guarantee there will be a TON of VSX or similar plugins for them you can use.
If you have a Switch get the Korg Gadget app, also on iPad, i found this example tune.

Look for Retrowave/Synthwave/SynthPop instrument packs or tutorials that'll get you started too.

Reactions: Tizoc and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
New album by Motorpsycho - "The All Is One"
Quite a demanding listen...84 minutes of exquisite progressive/psychedelic rock. I love it. Especially the 40 minute centrepiece "N.O.X."

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I've been back listening to The Ting Tings after a bit of a hiatus and i'd forgotten what a great band they are.

Followed up by some of the amazing music that's growing up in Austrailia. There's going to be a big Aussie music explosion in the next few years with the number of great bands cutting their teeth and honing their craft over there. Especially Punk.

Some fine down-under mulletry being showcased here.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018

Such a stylish game and so far a fantastic soundtrack not a low-effort slowed down Vaporwave cliche ( which is valid in the "artform", i suppose, thinking too hard about the philosophies behind these new genres makes my head hurt at times ) and damn does this game get all the aesthetics right... and the jabs at society are going to upset some people for sure. Love it. Will post more tracks both OST and not as i go along.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
The weird adult-contemporary muso-waiter character usually posting here has the weekend off, so today's recommendation is some actual video game music straight from myself:

Spotify | Deezer | Amazon Music

I suspect this track was a leftover from the Mafia III soundtrack sessions, but wow, what a gem. It works nicely enough in the background of exploring the Underdark caves in Yoku's Island Express, but on its own it becomes so much more for me - when I listen to it and close my eyes, I see starry timelapses in Arches National Park and slow panning flyovers of the dusty mesas in Monument Valley, thanks to cinematic blues guitar work that would do a late Dire Straits-era Mark Knopfler proud.

Just wow. And this on a soundtrack for a cute Metroidvania starring a dung beetle who is also a pinball. Video games, man.

OP

Deleted member 113

If anyone is in the mood for some downtempo tracks, here's a selection:

Coppice Halifax - Tigress

Cult48 - August 84

Milieu - Night Winds Detuned

? - November Air

• Love
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I wasn't going to post this til tomorrow but it's been stuck in my head all day so i may as well inflict it upon you all so it's bouncing around in your heads on the actual day.

• Toucan
  • Love
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
"Carousel" by Such Small Hands / Melanie Howards (bass for The Wedding Present)

beautiful melancholic album, full of sad songs, lovely mix of electronica, acoustic guitars, fragile singing. Its lovely, personal, honest. Highly recommended.

OP

Deleted member 113

For fans of Oingo Boingo, the quarantine earlier this year was good for something: Danny Elfman made an unlikely return to material from the band he laid to rest 25 years ago, and re-recorded the track Running on a Treadmill at his home, just for fun:

---

Speaking of Covid-19 related musical matters: after a failed attempt to revive Soul Coughing (a personal favourite band of mine), former lead singer Mike Doughty decided to return to recording in a style close to his former band, as Ghost of Vroom (a reference to the title of Soul Coughing's first album).
With the help of Mario Caldato Jr. (producer/collaborator of bands like Beastie Boys, Super Furry Animals, and more), he recorded the following Covid-19 inspired track:

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018

[UWSL]God Bless You Americans [/UWSL]

[UWSL]This song is dedicated to all the people who have a deep love to share in order to have a better life, every new day is a great gift and the gifts are precious.[/UWSL][UWSL] No more wars, no more guns, no more racism, sometimes we forget that we all come from the same place and that the only thing we need is just love. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]Peace Dave Rodgers [/UWSL]
:steam_pigblanket::steam_gp_corgivehicle::steam_gp_flag:

OP

Deleted member 113

Here's a few tracks from the highly underrated Stan Ridgway.
For those unfamiliar with his solo work (post Wall of Voodoo), it's well worth discovering.

• Love
OP

Deleted member 113

Be on the lookout for Thurston Moore's new album By the Fire, out on Friday.
The album has been getting rave reviews, with reviewers calling it some of his best recorded material, if not his best yet (Sonic Youth included).

I'm starting to believe the hype, considering how much I enjoyed even the material that won't be part of the album, like:

Anyway, here's the most recent advance track from the album, Siren:

And, the previous one (and my favourite so far):

I can't say I particularly cared much for Sonic Youth's later material, but his post-Sonic Youth albums with the Thurston Moore Group (which includes My Bloody Valentine's Deb Googe on bass, and Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley on drums, among others) are great stuff.
I bought their first album right after I caught the band at a festival, and since then every album has been worth the wait.

A few examples from the previous two albums he recorded with the new band:

Last edited by a moderator: