Community New music / recommendations

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Calexico, good choice. Always loved Giant Sand and the offshotts from them. An amazing bunch of musicians in those crews.
Yeah, Giant Sand's great. Saw them live in Vienna a couple of probably 15 or more years ago, got to chat with Howe Gelb and I think one or two of the other guys (it was the "Danish" version of the band). Nice people, great music. :)

Long song, but this version of this song live is so cool to me!
I was thinking "how long could it be?" (as Ive experienced people calling 5 minutes "long" ) -- but yeah, 24 minutes, not bad. I liked longer songs for a while, some of my favourite bands tend to make longer songs... the longest I can think of right now is 51 minutes ("Heathen" by Wyrd). There are surely longer ones, too. At some point the definition "song" might become questionable, however ;)

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I was sure we'd had Wagakki Band posted before but a quick search says nope so here's some awesome...

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm obsessed with Bobby Brown Goes Down by Frank Zappa these days. The music is great and the lyrics, the lyrics, fire.

'I've got a cheerleader here
Wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work
And maybe later I'll rape her

Oh God, I am the American dream
I do not think I'm too extreme
And I'm a handsome son of a bitch
I'm gonna get a good job and be real rich'

Jesus.

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
New Trail of Dead album, its very long and very good:

~

New album by German punk rock legends Slime. With a new singer, they open a new chapter, hence its titled "Slime 2" (their first album back in 1980 was titled simply "Slime 1" )

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I was sure we'd had Wagakki Band posted before but a quick search says nope so here's some awesome...

I was sure I'd posted them before!

I don't think there has been any Nemophila in this thread yet though!

They're a fairly new super-talented japanese all-female metal band.
I don't like all of their stuff, but I absolutely love their newest song.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Man, i ALWAYS forget about this fukin' band LOL
Yeah, while theyre great, theyre not constantly on my radar either; I get reminded they still exist only whenever they release an album every couple years.
I first listened to them about 20 years now, when they released Source Tags & Codes – such a good album :)

I have a few of their records but didnt really follow them for a couple years, until with Spotify it became so much easier to just listen to anything new coming out. Before, I would buy everything I was interested in – nowadays while I still buy stuff, its generally only those records I enjoy a lot. I might buy this new one.

Btw, Spotify doesnt have the EP The Secret of Elenas Tomb from 2003 or 2004 that I have, there was a great song on there. ("Intelligence")... but its on YouTube:

Last edited:
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Looks like it's been 3 years since i last posted Electric Wizard. That's not right.

All these years later and it's still one of my favorite albums. Funeralopolis is just immense, i love it.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Old School metal inspired theme on a modern anime... wow. Right in the nostalgias.

Full version here:

Pellek has been making anime rock covers for like 9 years and was asked to make an OG opening track for an anime earlier this year. Good work fella.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Re-listened to Future Days by Can recently. Still feels and sounds futuristic even now, almost 50 years later. Or rather, it feels like being teleported back into a time where a promised bright future is still on the horizon.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Ophelia sang this on her "Road to 10k" karaoke stream, totally unexpected but apparently it's one of her favorite shows.
I couldn't find the "original" original so this will do.

There were two amazing karaoke tonight and both were awesome for different reasons.

Something different...

en cendres / emilie simon

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
The Manic Street Preachers - a left-wing post punk/alt rock/power pop band from Wales - has released their 2001 album "Know your Enemy" in a newly mixed + remastered form.

This album was my introduction to them when it came out and I still hold it dearly. However, when it came out, it has been criticised for being too unfocused and underproduced, and both these points are being adressed with this release. It is now being presented as originally intended, as a double album, where both halves are more focused and better-fitting together. It comprises a more mellow side, titled "Door to the River", and a more livid side called "Solidarity". It flows a lot better with this sequencing and the addition of some extra tracks; and it packs more of a punch (or simply said, it just sounds better) with the new mix.

I highly recommend it :)

One thing to note: they put extra tracks on it: alternative mixes on disc 1, b-sides on disc 2, demos on disc 3. If you just wanna listen to the album itself, the songs 11-14 & 27 onwards are the bonus tracks.

Reason: typo
Last edited:
  • Gib