|OT| Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) news & discussion - No, it's not just a flu

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Little worried, my throat has been weird past two days, isn't hurting but kind of tickles like crazy. With this lockdown getting a cold should be even less likely than getting covid.

Weirdly it started after I drank some red wine, maybe I'm so unused to it that it burned my throat haha!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If you're not showing other symptoms it could just be irritation from something else.

Red wine can cause acid reflux which could irritate your throat.

If you have no plausible reason why you might have COVID, you probably don't have it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
If you're not showing other symptoms it could just be irritation from something else.

Red wine can cause acid reflux which could irritate your throat.

If you have no plausible reason why you might have COVID, you probably don't have it.
Well where I live, people don't give a shit about masks and just party in front of the building, I always go out with a mask but still just getting out of the building is a risk haha.

But yeah I'm staying calm/in denial that its anything serious.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Well where I live, people don't give a shit about masks and just party in front of the building, I always go out with a mask but still just getting out of the building is a risk haha.

But yeah I'm staying calm/in denial that its anything serious.
Had this too. If it gets to the point where you can't sleep because of the itching, there are over-the-counter throat spray anaesthetics :).

Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The throat thing that started saturday night lastweek has really been weird, it slowly moved into my nose, at first it just felt like breathing cold air through the nose but now it has become a cold. While it still feels too mild to be covid but I have never had a strange thing like this before. But still better be safe and not see anyone.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The throat thing that started saturday night lastweek has really been weird, it slowly moved into my nose, at first it just felt like breathing cold air through the nose but now it has become a cold. While it still feels too mild to be covid but I have never had a strange thing like this before. But still better be safe and not see anyone.
Do you feel any headache or fever?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Cases in germany are slowly rising, but they are rising. We are at ~23k/day which doesn't sound that much for a population of 83 million, but intensive care in my city is already 80% full. If this keeps on going on we are fucked by the end of the year.

Politicians seem to be afraid of a minority of covid idiots who started comparing themselves to the resistance against the nazi regime. It's a hilarious situation. The state is upholding their right to demonstrate during an ongoing pandemic and they still think they are being oppressed.
That's the definition of "big brain time".

• Sad
Reactions: Swenhir

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Cases in germany are slowly rising, but they are rising. We are at ~23k/day which doesn't sound that much for a population of 83 million, but intensive care in my city is already 80% full. If this keeps on going on we are fucked by the end of the year.

Politicians seem to be afraid of a minority of covid idiots who started comparing themselves to the resistance against the nazi regime. It's a hilarious situation. The state is upholding their right to demonstrate during an ongoing pandemic and they still think they are being oppressed.
That's the definition of "big brain time".
Meanwhile in Austrialand we are at ~3800k/day (which is worse then Germany if you compare it per population) and it's only slowly falling and 100+ people died in the hospital every day. But they want to open again.
Insanity.
The sheer incompetence our government has been showing is both absolutely embarassing and actively dangerous.

• Sad
Reactions: ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm torn between thinking they are truly incompetent, or they just are trying to pass off as such with a deliberate intention to put the economy first, not as a concern for the long-term, but for what the short-term consequences might mean for them.

Reactions: Ascheroth and ISee
Dec 5, 2018
but for what the short-term consequences might mean for them
That's modern politics 101.

I mean here (spain) we have this weird battle about "saving christmas" where some regional goverments want to reopen ASAP, which I kind of get, but since every actor has bungled the handling of this....

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah I'm surprised France is opening up and even will be fully open Christmas and New year's Eve. Not sure what the situation is really but I can't believe it's that good already.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
No capitalist government is going to take the hit of "ruining Christmas". It is electoral suicide, especially for governments that need to face the electorate in the next 12 months.

Even the eminently sensible government here in Wales is trying to ensure we don't need to lock down over the festive season, which seems bananas to me but there we are. I'm sure you'll all be surprised to learn there's an election here next May.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah I'm surprised France is opening up and even will be fully open Christmas and New year's Eve. Not sure what the situation is really but I can't believe it's that good already.
Well, I think their lockdown was effective, but we're clearly looking at another before the vaccine hits.

Reactions: Le Pertti

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Vaccination is supposed to start on December 15th in my city.
They are currently preparing several big centers in my region and even activating retired medical stuff and army doctors to do the shots. :shrugblob:
It will be done in six phases, will not be mandatory and will be free of charge:

1. Phase: People living/working in nursing homes and everybody 80+
2. Phase: Everybody in the age between 75-80, hospital stuff, people with dementia or other mental disabilities and their close contacts.
3. Phase: Everybody in the age between 70-75, pre-ill people with increased high risks and their close contacts, pregnant women and their close contacts, homeless people and people waiting for asylum.
4. Phase: 65-70, pre-ill people with moderate risks and their close contacts, teacher, kindergarden personal etc., people working in close quarters.
5. Phase: 60-65, government personnel, Army, Firefighters, Police, Bus & Train operators, people working in retail.
6. Phase: Everybody else.

It's a reasonable plan imo. Will take many months though.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Welp, I had chills last night and basically didnt sleep. I checked my temperature some minutes ago and it is a bit high, but I feel more exhausted from not sleeping rather than fever. Hopefully it is just allergy (weather has been a bit crazy, 90F during the day and 48F during the night. I have no other symptoms, I can breathe normally, I still can taste and smell.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
While goat cheese and honey are a good combination; please not on a pizza.
With white cream, it is arguably one of the best combinations I've seen that wasn't a meat-classic. Peach and honey come to mind too!

• Sad
Reactions: ISee

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Well, Japan just announced that they will completely close down the border for at least a month.

Seems like I won't be able to return to my old job anytime soon, even though my workplace has already submitted the application of work visa for me.

Fuck it.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think I might have fucked up, my girlfriend wanted to take me to her church so of course I wanted to do, but being there it was a small and closed space, no one was wearing any masks, I was the only one, and one woman talked about how she was feverish last night.

• Sad
Reactions: dummmyy and Pommes

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Fauci said when he opened the letter, a powder immediately covered his face and chest. His beefed-up security detail, which was brought on after he began receiving threats, advised Fauci to stay still before a hazmat team "sprayed him down."

"It was a benign nothing," Fauci said of the substance found in the envelope. "But it was frightening. My wife and my children were more disturbed than I was. I looked at it somewhat fatalistically. It had to be one of three things: A hoax. Or anthrax, which meant I'd have to go on Cipro for a month. Or if it was ricin, I was dead, so bye-bye."

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So lets see, rumours that France will go into another lockdown, we will know on Wednesday. I am little worried, mostly because there is little hope my new relationship would survive something like that.

• Hug

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
It is crazy that Germany has now a higher total of deaths than Spain. Not sure what happened.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
My state is going for another lockdown.

CIRCUIT BREAKER ACTION 11:59PM FRIDAY 12 FEBRUARY TO 11.59PM WEDNESDAY 17 FEBRUARY, 2021

Stay at home unless:

• Shopping for necessary goods and services (one person per household, once per day, a support person can accompany if required)
• Caregiving or compassionate reasons
• Essential work or permitted education
• Exercise (can leave for two hours of exercise)
• Other specified reasons (specific exemptions apply)
• Intrastate travel: travel limit of 5km from place of primary residence

Face coverings:
• Must be carried at all times
• Must be worn indoors and outdoors except if at home, or if an exemption applies

• Work: If you can work from home, you must work from home
Pros: I can play videogames at home during business hours.
Cons: Notthisshitagain.gif

• Sad
Reactions: ISee and Cacher

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Posted that next door before checking if we had a covid thread, silly me ! :grimacing-face:

'My mother got her first shot appointment !
I understand that this must be a very tired question, but please bear with my anxiety : it will be Pfizer, it's one of the 'good' vaccines, right ? (yeah, I know every vaccine is better than nothing)'

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have reflected a bit and I think I must have had COVID at some point, because of the amount dates and girls I’ve kissed last year it is so unlikely that I didn’t catch it.

either way I am one lucky guy, if I had it it was so light or I have avoided it like a pro.

but best to continue as if I never had it.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Posted that next door before checking if we had a covid thread, silly me ! :grimacing-face:

'My mother got her first shot appointment !
I understand that this must be a very tired question, but please bear with my anxiety : it will be Pfizer, it's one of the 'good' vaccines, right ? (yeah, I know every vaccine is better than nothing)'
Nice that your mother got heir appointment.
The Pfizer vaccine is one of the good ones. The Astra Zenica and Johnson Johnson have a somewhat heightened risk for a special form of thrombosis for younger women (and younger men?). And the mRNA vaccines (like Pfizer and Moderna) have a slightly better effectiveness against catching covid (if I remember correctly).
But which vaccine one gets is not important. It is important that one gets any vaccine: The risk of the vaccine(s) are much (much) smaller compared to the risks of a covid infection. They all help to keep oneself and other people saver (the second part is something that some people forget).

Under the assumption that most people will get vaccinated the effects should be as follows:
  • Far fewer infections
  • Of the people who still get infected much fewer should need a hospital visit
This should also hold true for the mutated variants of the virus (but to a lesser degree).
Therefore it is important that we (as in the whole population of the earth) get vaccinated.
To achieve this the patents of the vaccines should probably be cancelled/paused (for now) to allow for a production boost.
But the rich states (for example: USA, EU, Great Britain, Japan, Australia etc.) of this world are blocking this :weary-face:
Sorry for going a little bit off-topic :surrenderblob:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
My wife got her 2nd vaccin last month, she got it early because she works in a hospital. The vaccin made her sick for two days, but that's definitely worth it if it protects against Covid. A friend of mine was sick for 7 weeks when he got infected, and he's still feeling tired today.

I hope all of you are and stay healthy! :blobhug: