Reviews Rate the game you finished/retired

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Yakuza 3 Remastered

I'm playing all Yakuza games from 0 to 7, and this 3rd installment is my least favorite game in the series so far. Most significant issue is the combat: enemies are blocking the majority of your standaard attacks, causing fights to take way too long to complete. Some of the missions are also rather boring; searching for one of the kids in town becomes really annoying when repeated multiple times.

This said, to story and characters are REALLY good. I loved Rikiya and Mine, and I got goosebumps during the cut scenes several times. This makes Yakuza 3 worth playing after all, but you'll have to tolerate the many flaws.

Score: 7.8/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Paradise Lost (PolyAmorous / All In! Games, 2021)

Exploration/narrative game set in a post-apocalyptic alternate post-World War 2 history. Some parts are visually impressive and exceed the expectations you could reasonably have for a game made by such a small team, others not so much. Good ambient sound throughout. The story is a bit of a messy hodgepodge of ideas and neither the events that play out in the game nor the world-building were particularly engaging to me.

This game is as walking simulator as they come, so only fans of the genre should even consider.

2.5/5

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Retired In the Shadows (Colorspace Studio, 2017)

A pixel-art puzzle platformer clearly inspired by FEZ, but bringing its own unique set of mechanics, which are a bit loose (it's easy to softlock yourself and then have to restart the level) and often timing-based, which makes solving some levels really tedious.

There aren't that many levels either, so the difficulty curve gets quite steep - I managed to get to the third (out of four) set of levels before it got too hard for me. Graphics are ok, the music is quite good and adds a lot of atmosphere. Puzzle platforming pros will probably enjoy this one, but Steam's "casual" categorization is plain wrong, this game requires serious skills (and patience) to beat.

No score

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Decent janky fun, nothing particularly amazing, but decent fun. The levels do get overly long sometimes and it feels like a wave shooter due to the enormous amount of enemies coming at you almost all the time. The upgrades, different weapons and characters does give the game some variation, graphics are kind of ugly and sound mediocre, but if you like janky gameplay with PS3/x360 gameplay feel, you are gonna have a decent time like me.

Score: 7.8/10

Finished

This game shines in the combat, combat feels great, is a lot of fun, lots of loot, different weapons, different abilities, different upgrades. The negatives are the weird story and some of the level design, like a lot of the levels are so long based on walking, just walking where nothing happens. Sound is good, graphics are mediocre, not much meat in the game other than story missions, side missions and some "challenge" missions.

Score: 8/10

Finished

Very fun isometric "stealth" cowboy games with lots of different ways to tackle the enemies and complete objectives. Good graphics, good sound. Main negatives was that switching between which characters to play as during a mission (there are multiple characters and each character has it's own ability like pickpocketing) was somewhat cumbersome and some mission objectives could have been better explained. Also, which enemy that can be pickpocketed and not should have been better explained.

Score: 8.4/10

Jonas

Nov 18, 2022
Finished Sekiro on steam

it was my 12th consecutive play through and I feel fairly done with the game now. I did it without the kuro charm and with the bell demon. For those that don’t know that means you have to parry perfectly and enemies are even more deadly.
I had started the play through a long time ago but had to beat Isshin too. I think he took me like 10 hours, no joke., it was insane and while frustrating I mostly loved every minute spent.
I never completely learned his move set before but I couldn’t use my cheesing this time since there are attacks that just kill you in one hit.

After I beat him I played through it again without the the modifiers and it was so fucking easy! Beat all bosses, except the real owl fight and Emma who I skipped, on the first try. Died two times at O’rin tho, fuck her.

I don’t know what From could do to improve in a sequel, The fights feels so damn tight and more options than what are presented would just be overwhelming. I guess some better stealth, the soundtrack is fairly meh and I barely have any idea what the story is even though It’s pretty straightforward :/

10/10
(I think my enjoyment of FS games are dependent on if I learn to counter or not)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I finished Viewfinder.

I liked this game a lot.

Viewfinder is a puzzle game where you use images and perception to change the world around you and solve puzzles.

The general conceit is that you have photographs and illustrations, and you use these images to add (or remove) things from the environment that allow you to either progress or send power to the teleporter that allows you to complete the stage.

You can also take photos and use those to manipulate the environment. Sometimes you get a handheld camera, other times you can use a fixed one.

Stages are broken up via hub worlds so you have plenty of opportunity to take pauses, quit the game, or just go do something else for five minutes before you carry on.

Each hub world follows one of the characters, who appear in audio log form. And each hub also has a different twist on the gameplay.

This is both a good and a mildly irksome thing. Sometimes you have to unlearn mechanics in very specific places (only to get them back a few stages later) because the design of the level is not conducive to the mechanic. The main offender is how the game liberally takes away and returns the camera to your inventory for no real reason other than the level was or wasn't designed with it in mind.

In some ways this is good, because it allows for more puzzle variety. But I think it makes the seams between immersiveness and contrivance much more obvious. In the end, the developer made that tradeoff and I think it was probably the right call, but it's worth mentioning because it may bother you a lot.

The story's depressing and a little sad, yet also hopeful. I won't go into it too much, but I enjoyed it. The voice acting was merely okay - I've heard worse, but I've also heard better. But it was adequate. Some people are hating on it a lot and I think in some parts it does get wonky, but on the most part I thought it was fine.

About my only major criticism is the timed segment. It lands differently than the rest of the game. Thankfully, you can disable the timer in the accessibility options. But I'm not a fan of the timer and I recommend you just switch it off because the tension is not necessary, and the timer they give you is incredibly ungenerous.

A small criticism is that I wish there were a few more challenging puzzles. I don't want a whole slate of punishing levels, but I'd love to get a few levels that need a bit more thinking to get through. I never really found any of the puzzles super challenging, and while there were many that were satisfying to solve, I never hit any that really pushed the limits of my ability to solve them. Maybe that's a good thing? But I'd have liked to be tested a bit more.

You're gonna get 5-7 hours out of this game, depending on whether you do the optional puzzles (which are quite fun and worth it), how long it takes to solve the main story puzzles, and how long you spend with the game open just milling about in-between stages.

If you're one of those weirdos who tries to min-max your spend-per-hour of gameplay, you may find the £20 asking price poor value. But if your time is more important than how much you spent on a game, rest assured that Viewfinder doesn't waste your time with filler or stupid nonsense.

In the end, what you get is the game the developers wanted to make - not a product full of garbage to waste your time to inflate the number on How Long to Beat with worthless busywork. And what the developer has made is by and large of very high quality. In my view, easily worth the £20 asking price, and if that's not affordable to you, it'll be even more worth it when it gets a discount.

Whether you buy now or wait for a sale, Viewfinder is a good game well worth paying for.

8/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Untitled Goose Game (House House / Panic, 2019)

Hilarious mix of stealth action, puzzling and a pinch of physics sandbox gameplay. The player character is a goose set loose on a small town and up to mischief (or two geese in couch-coop).

The game presents the player(s) with a constantly updating list of objectives on their way through the town. Once all the objectives are completed, the "main story" is finished and the credits have rolled, another list of objectives unlocks which are slightly harder / more obscure, but add a significant chunk of playtime, which is good because otherwise the game would be very short relative to its price. Finally, there's optional timed challenges to complete certain subsets of objectives within a time limit, also unlocked by completing the main objectives.

This game does pretty much everything right, the controls are responsive, the reactive music system that dynamically improvises a piano score to the action on screen adds a literally unique flavor to every playthrough and the graphics and animations have a cute and bright children's book / cartoon charm to them that fit the upbeat mood of this game. Difficulty is mostly casual, but not trivial.

Had a great time from start to finish.

4.5/5

Last edited:

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Ynglet (Nifflas / Triple Topping. 2021)

Abstract platformer that is at the same time top-down (visually) and side-scrolling (there is gravity pulling the player towards the bottom of the screen). It's also very Danish - the world map is the city map of Copenhagen and every level is an abstract representation of real world locations in Copenhagen. There's also a bonus world which is purely abstract.

The game has a neat generative music system that plays a 1990s-style IDM electronica soundtrack to the gameplay, and a procedural approach to difficulty levels (the levels themselves are designed by hand, but the algorithm fills in extra platforms on lower difficulty settings and it works really well). Completing the main world unlocks an extra difficulty setting.

4/5

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished The World After (Burning Sunset, 2021)

A full-motion-video point and click adventure set (at first glance) during the COVID-19 pandemic, somewhere in rural France.

The acting is pretty okay (it's mostly amateur actors, the writer of the game is the player character) and the video quality is good, and that's all the positive things I can say about this game. The game is incredibly short, and the puzzles are so basic that the developers had to resort to pixel hunting (in a video game that only contains video and photo stills!) to pad out the playtime. Finally the story is silly, bordering on stupid.

1/5

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished/Retired As Far as the Eye

Interesting concept based on 4X games, where you have to gather different resources to move to the next level. But instead of fighting enemies to create a challenge, the game throws random negative perks at you that often ruin the plans you have in mind. Things like suddenly losing 500 skill points without any means to prevent this felt unfair to me and became even frustrating in the longer runs. Not my cup of tea.

Note: I finished the 5 campaign levels and the first rogue-like map, but gave up after that because of the issues described above.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (Snoozy Kazoo / Graffiti Games, 2021)

A quirky Zelda-lite action adventure in the style of beloved handheld & portable classics of the genre, with a story that starts out with the wacky premise spelled out in the title of the game and then keeps going in the same vein. The controls are tight and responsive (with the exception of the weapon change, which seems to be a little awkward on purpose to inject a bit of a challenge into the mini-bosses) and the difficulty is generally casual until the credits roll - and after that, people looking for a challenge get a boss-rush bonus.

I really enjoyed that this game has zero filler and no grinding whatsoever - resulting in a short playtime that is pure fun. And the post-credits bonus content gives people looking for more something to do, too.

Previously reviewed in this thread here.

4/5

Finished Planet of the Eyes (Cococucumber, 2015)

A minimalist (and also pretty basic), short platformer. There's a story told in voice-overs, but it doesn't really connect in any meaningful way to the action on-screen. The controls feel good, but the level design is too basic to really make use of them. Not a bad game, but not very memorable either.

3/5

Finished Refunct (Dominique Grieshofer, 2015)

A minimalist first-person platforming/parkour game. This game is a little hidden gem - from the screenshots on the Steam store page, you'd think this is somebody's first 3D platfomer, but this game has incredibly smooth controls and superb flow - the roughly 30 to 45 minutes playtime to reach all targets and unlock the whole map just fly by. There are speedrun-achievements for people who want to keep playing, too.

3.5/5

Finished Viewfinder (Sad Owl Studios / Thunderful, 2023)

A first-person puzzle game that brings a new mechanic to the genre: Editing the level geometry as a means of getting to or enabling the exit.

The player finds and picks up photos or drawings in the level, then can aim and "place" these photos and the 3D scene represented by the 2D image will appear in 3D in the level. Later on, the player also gets a camera that lets them take these photos themselves, effectively providing a copy/paste tool (with a limited number of uses).

Combined with mechanics inspired by other greats of the genre such as the forced perspective tricks of Superliminal, time-rewinding, portals to alternative versions of the level, time-delayed switches, sound-activated switches and more, the game feels genuinely fresh even to fans of the genre who have played all of the first-person puzzling hits already.

The difficulty was just right for me, I never had to resort to a guide (or the in-game hint system) and the longest I got stuck at any point must have been 15 minutes. The game rewards and encourages thinking outside the box consistently over trying to understand and following rules. In a way, the whole game feels like one long, patient and forgiving tutorial for the very final level, which takes everything the player has learned over the course of the game and lays it out in a tightly timed challenge - which I beat after less than ten attempts, so the game did a very good job of preparing me.

The graphical presentation is bright and lush and just all around pleasant. The fantastic ambient sound and laid-back, jazzy music score by Jason Taylor, otherwise and possibly better known by his artist alias "Aether" adds a lot of atmosphere on top of the visuals.

The story is the game's weakest point - while there's technically quite a lot of it, spread over readable documents and post-it notes, audio logs from multiple characters and a strange little talking cat that delivers frequent commentary to the actions of the silent protagonist the player inhabits, none of it really goes much of anywhere or makes a whole lot of sense at any point, including the ending of the game. It builds a vary vague world and succeeds at adding a little context and additional flavor to each level, but not much else and generally isn't on the level of the genre superhits like Portal, or The Talos Principle or even more recent titles such as Superliminal.

I took my time with this game and got all collectibles in my first run, which took 14 hours until the credits rolled. This puts the game right between the shorter entries of the genre such as Portal and Superliminal and the big guns such as The Witness and The Talos Principle.

Previously reviewed in this thread here and here

3.5/5

Last edited:
OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Doom Eternal

Incredible shooter with amazing shooting mechanics and lots of cool features. Using stagger, the chainsaw and the flame weapon to make enemies drop health, munition and armor works really, really well. The level design is also excellent, with great set pieces, plenty of different enemies, good platforming and lots of secrets to discover.

The most significant thing I didn't like is that enemies are bullet sponges if you don't kill them in a certain way with a specific weapon. Let me kill them with my weapon of choice, and use the stagger only when I'm in need of more health. I also don't like enemies spawning out of thin air behind me, especially with so many big enemies that require tons of bullets to kill.

But despite these issues, Doom Eternal is an excellent game that makes your adrenaline rise to unseen levels. Well done id Software!

Score: 8.9/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Gibbon: Beyond the Trees (Broken Rules, 2022)

Extraordinary take on the endless-runner genre, this game lets you swing through forests as a gibbon, with a unique set of controls that are easy to learn, but take a while to master.

The game features multiple modes:

• A story adventure with a hand-crafted set of stages where the only objective is to keep swinging and not die by falling into chasms, rivers or forest fires
  • An alternate endless mode with procedurally generated stages and collectibles (free animals from cages, find encyclopedia pages) that unlocks after the story mode is complete
  • A daily runs competitive mode where you go for longest distance and fastest times for a placement on a leaderboard

The hand-painted visuals are great, with great animations, too. Good soundtrack that adjusts dynamically to the environment you're in when running in one of the procedural modes.

The collectibles in the endless mode are somewhat frustrating, the challenge is to not just blast past the cages or encyclopedia pages and there is a certain dissonance between playing one of nature's most accomplished climbing animals and the very restricted movement controls. I shouted at my screen a lot while playing this mode.

I made the apparent mistake of buying this game on itch.io, where it still sits as originally released - lacking the encyclopedia page collectibles and lacking the daily runs mode, which came as updates to the game on the other platforms. I guess I will have to rebuy this on Steam at some point.

3.5/5

Reactions: Yoshi and lashman

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
"Finished"/Retired
which was gifted by tetel

What a short, fun game!
Frantically trying to figure out how to synthesize the antidote to save yourself from shrinking was quite fun!
Every run pretty much starts with you frantically searching for all ingredients, and all recipes. After that, you have to figure out what order to mix the different recipes to synthesize the cure.
When everything works, this is a fun puzzler, where you have to be quick since the difficulty rises the shorter you become. I seemed to have a few runs though, where either all the ingredients didn't spawn, or all the recipes didn't spawn, making it impossible to finish. I don't think I just missed finding them, since I scoured the rooms. And if you don't have all the puzzle pieces, it is impossible to finish.

Often, I found that at lower difficulties, if you just managed to find all the pieces, the shrinking aspect didn't play that much part, if you kept a decent pace.

So, a short and sweet game (when it works), but I don't know how much staying power it has.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Finished SIGNALIS

Played this one together with friends via Steam Remote Play Whatever (an amazing tool I'd recommend for anyone interested in playing co-op or other games with friends online, no clue why Valve is not enabling this feature generally)

Signalis is an interesting beast. It's clearly a strong hommage to classic surival horror, like Resident Evil and surely Silent Hill too, but there also a lot of other inspiration here, like Neon Evangelion and other Anime shows. The story is overall quite captivating, if a bit hard to follow. The visual presentation is really quite strong. Primarly aiming for a PS1 style look, I would say, though with far more modern effects, often complex distortion effects, that range from imitating CRT displays, to other kind of signal errors.

Game can be a bit annoying at times, I would say the hard inventory management aspect is probably the weakest part of this game. I can respect the dedication to sticking close to the original games, but that aspect is really one of the worst things those games had.

Still, definitively a captivating experience.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Retired Snakebird Primer (Noumenon Games, 2019)

"A casual puzzle game for the entire family as well as a primer for the serious challenges of the original game."

The original game is Snakebird from 2015, which I bought in a bundle, then read that it's balls-to-the-wall hard and never even started. Bought Primer later because I thought I might have a chance of beating it and maybe even get trained up a little for the 'real' challenge - couldn't beat that one either. But I got some 55 out of 69 levels and 2 out of 6 star levels, so not a complete failure on my part I guess.

For puzzle purists.

3/5

Last edited:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Kingdom 80s

This is a much more streamlined entry of the Kingdom series, but it sucked me in.
It's kind of like a 2D Tower Defense game.
I'd recommend it to anyone.
It's pretty short, but the price reflects that IMO.

9/10 - Couldnt put it down 'til I finished it.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished The Spirit and the Mouse (Alblune /Armor Games Studios, 2022)

Very cute and cozy 3D "platformer" (you play a mouse - a four-legged one, not an anthropomorphic cartoon character, and you cannot jump - but you can climb and drop down from ledges). Gameplay is a mix of collectathon, figuring out routes through the levels and little missions with mini-games.

Quite suitable for younger kids, too, since the gameplay is completely non-violent and the player character cannot die either.

I found this game last year during a Steam Next Fest and it turned out just as great as the demo let on. Took me 9 hours to 100%.

4.5/5

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Finished
on the Steam Deck. Yes, it is fully playable on the Steam Deck, without any tinkering at all. You just have to memorize what all the different buttons do, since the Steam Input button prompt implementation for the game is broken.

Having played both Mafia back when it originally came out, and Mafia 2 around release as well, I was well acquainted with the series.
I actually bought Mafia III back in 2017, and I have started it like 3 times before, never making it far into the game.

This time, I decided to play it on the Steam Deck, and really go for it.
It actually worked very well, once you learnt the controls, due to the aforementioned button prompt bug (which is the game's fault, not the Deck).

The game is really enjoyable. A bit on the long side, especially when you have to play through a lot of filler content to take on the different rackets.
The story is well told, and the characters are well written. You really get a feel for the racism that was embedded in the 60's.

I also played through the story of the 3 major pieces of DLC which is now included in the Definitive edition (which my copy got upgraded into at some point).

Signs of the Times was an interesting story where you investigated a cult. They actually added some new gameplay features in this DLC with the investigation parts. Like a half-baked L.A. Noire. The story was interesting, but the combat was a bit on the difficult side.

Faster Baby, where you drive out into the countryside, take on a racist sheriff and drive a lot of cars.
This one has an interesting setup with the sheriff, but it's ultimately so short and underbaked that it leaves no lasting impression. If it weren't for the bugs.
Hoo boy, the bugs in this one.
First bug was when I was driving into the countryside. You are ambushed by a police car which is supposed to set off a half-scripted chase scene. All kinds of weird bugs would show up. The car you were driving would slow to a crawl, and it was impossible to accelerate until you got out of the car and back in.
The police officers would not chase you, or even spawn, but the police alert state and radius would not disappear.
It was a major triumph when I finally managed to finish this first mission.

Later on in the DLC, you can get into endless loading screen if you play the mission in an "incorrect" order. This is solvable by leaving the countryside, going back into the city, creating a new autosave there, then going back to to the countryside....

The final DLC I played, Stones Unturned, is an interesting chase together with your CIA pal Donovan to find a rogue agent. A bit off when you compare it to the rest of the story in the main game, but it was really enjoyable.

I fully renovated Sammy's bar thanks to the Signs of the Times DLC, something that the main story completely failed to mention (there's even a cutscene with the priest that says that the area was demolished). Didn't bother at all with the weed minigame from Faster Baby, and did only one bounty hunt from Stones Unturned. A lot of this really felt like more filler in a game that already is filled with it.

So all in all, a really enjoyable experience, though a bit on the long side. I believe it took me about 38 hours to finish.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Retired Jet Set Radio (Blit Software / SEGA, 2000/2012)

Skill issue I guess ¯\(ツ)/¯.

I couldn't make it past the missions where you need to chase members of other roller-skate gangs and "tag them from behind".

The game really has a timeless look that works just as well now as it did 23 years ago, everything else hasn't aged quite so well.

Multiple people have told me that supposedly Jet Set Radio Future, an Xbox exclusive from 2002 that to this day is trapped on that ancient platform is much nicer to actually play, but I will have to find time to look into Xbox emulation again first ...

No Score

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon (Steam Deck)

Finished it some days ago, liked it a lot, more than Bayonetta 3. Very fun "top-down" Bayonetta game where you play as a girl named Cereza and her "demon dog". The gameplay is like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons where you play each character with their own joystiq on the controller. Throughout the game you will find and learn new abilities for both characters and they have to cooperate to progress in the world. The game is built like a somewhat open world map, but the game is really well designed, good level design and lots of things to collect and discover. You find different things in the game that you can use you upgrade skills and abilities and such. Both characters are really well used and compliments each other very well with their different abilities.

Score: 8.3/10

Last edited:
OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Deathloop

Another gem from Arkane Studios. In Deathloop, you're stuck into a timeloop where the same events happen every day again and again. It's up to you to figure out what's going on and how you can break the loop.

Like other games from Arkane, you can choose to play stealth or rather blast your way through with a limited arsenal of guns. By killing enemies, you can find trinkets that you can use to improve your weapons and stats. You can also aqcuire 'slabs', which give you special powers like transportation and temporary invisibility. You can change your equipment, trinkets and slabs at any time, motivating you to try every play style.

The level design is brilliant. There are many ways to reach your objective and exploration is often rewarded. The game world also looks incredible, especially using ray tracing. I remember the performance wasn't great initially, but now it seems to be fine; on my RTX4070 using DLSS, I got >100fps with all details and ray tracing at maximum. Very, very recommended!

Score: 8.6/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Sable (Shedworks / Raw Fury, 2021)

Distinctively indie take on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild that dispenses with peril, combat and violence altogether and throws everything into exploration instead.

The game's super stylish art direction that references Jean Giraud's science fiction graphic novels in general and occasionally quite specifically is the standout feature of the game. If the style resonates with you, and it really did with me, you're almost guaranteed to have a good time because of that alone, because everything just looks great from every angle, still-image or in motion. The subtly catchy soundtrack by Japanese Breakfast enhances the mood even further and does a generally good job of making you forget that there is no voice-acting in this game.

Gameplay is essentially a loop of exploring (which is mostly done with a hoverbike-style vehicle that is customizable both in looks and performance), finding quest-giving NPCs, completing quests, getting rewards and converting rewards into main quest items. The world map does not fill in automatically, the player needs to find a cartographer NPC for every of the distinct six regions of the map to buy a map reveal. Even with the map revealed, the game only marks some of the discovered locations automatically, which did create some frustration for me towards the end, when I was missing the last location or collectible for a particular quest quite often and had trouble eliminating the places I had already searched. There are several slow-burn collectathons for people who really want to spend a lot of time in the game, such as a (sand-)fishing mini-game and related collection quests as well as a butterfly collection, which can pad out the play time well beyond the 20 hour mark, but are completely optional.

What made playing this game feel quite unique for me is the strong focus on climbing and the player character's floating ability. It really makes the game often feel like an action game, even though there is no traditional video game action (shooting/brawling/fighting) in it at all.

For people who are somewhat less enamored with the art style and a game world that consists of several varieties of desert, the world may on occasion seem a little empty - the game deliberately leaves large chunks of map sections barren (except the starting/tutorial area) to convey an authentic feeling of exploring a desert planet.

Story and world-building were a little too much on the minimalist side for me - the very broad strokes in which characters and the history of the world are painted sometimes gave me the impression of exploring a theme park rather than an actually believable world.

When the game launched in 2021, it had a lot of performance issues and bugs, which is why I let the game sit for almost two years after buying it and with just the starting area completed before I picked it up again this year.

With two years worth of patches and updates, the PC version now has the kind of graphics options you would expect from a PC game, but unless you throw a top-class rig at it, the game still is best enjoyed locked down to 30 FPS, otherwise things get very inconsistent framerate-wise. The bug count has gone down dramatically and I didn't encounter anything game breaking, but it's still not very polished - clearly the world-size vs. dev-team size disparity in this project ultimately just proved too great.

3.5/5

Previously reviewed in this thread here and here

Last edited:

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Neo Cab (Chance Agency / Fellow Traveller, 2019)

The older millennials on this forum will probably remember the year 1998, when by some weird chance there were two disaster action movies about an extinction-level-event-sized asteroid headed for Earth in theaters at the same time.

2019 featured the probably much lesser known indie-game equivalent of that, when two high-production-value visual novel games that put the player in the driver's seat of a taxi cab came out almost simultaneously: Night Call and this one, Neo Cab.

The art direction in this one did not really resonate with me, the game is mainly shades of blue and purple and while that may have been very trendy at the time, I felt it made the game visually uninteresting. I was not a fan of most of the character designs either, to say the least. There are however a couple of standout screens that I thought were fantastic, such as the hotels you have to use for staying the night or the filling stations you have to visit to recharge your EV cab.

There's a soundtrack, but the music is unremarkable and rather generic.

The story and writing on the other hand were quite good - while the main themes (the hardships of gig-working, corporate greed and maintaining emotional balance) are laid on a little thick, the interactions with the individual passengers are much better - not at all life-like, but fun to read, often surprising and sometimes genuinely funny.

There's some variation in the encounters and a few endings for theoretical replay value, but not enough to make replays truly satisfying. A single playthrough took me just over 5 hours, which I though was a very good balance.

For me this game turned out to be the inverse of Night Call then - does not look too great and the music's forgettable, but the writing was good and the game had just about the right length - roughly half of Night Call's. And just like the two late 90s movies, neither will be remembered as classics of the genre, but everyone who knows both will have an opinion on which was the better one. For me, it's Neo Cab.

3/5

Previously reviewed in this thread here.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Went through a few games yesterday:

Finished:

A short and kinda sweet arcadey game where you simply try to land your moonlander in increasingly difficult stages. Controls were easy and precise. Worked perfectly on the Deck, except that you had to map Escape to one of the unused buttons since you couldn't get out of some menus otherwise.
Got the game for free a few years back.

Retired

Got this in a 1C bundle a year or so back. It's a bit charming, and a novel idea. But it felt really puzzly, where you only had one real way of progressing out of a specific room. And you are supposed to speed read a moving text on some levels, while trying to figure out what to do, and dodging obstacles at the same time.

Retired

From the same game bundle. A top-down stealth game. Had to switch to GE-Proton to get the cutscenes to play, but after that it worked alright.
Story wasn't that interesting, and the gameplay felt a bit sluggish. The cutaway scenes when you take down guards had some really stiff animations. It was also a bit confusing of where the game actually wanted you to go. And this in the tutorial map. Example:
You get to a road block with soldiers, and your handler tells you to use the alleys instead of approacing the road block to avoid the enemies.
So, I turned around, walked a few steps back and into an alley, that was a dead end.
I was instead supposed to walk forward towards the road block, and then turn down on a side road (not an alley) to continue the game.

Ehh..... Pass.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Alt-Frequencies (Accidental Queens, ARTE France / PID Games, 2019)

An audio-game (there are visuals, but they are optional - the game can in fact be played with the screen completely off and has native screen-reader support as well) take on the point-and-click adventure genre. You listen to several radio stations and record key snippets, then send those snippets on to other radio stations to advance the plot. Getting any more specific would get into heavy spoilers territory.

The game's website (click the link behind the game title in this post) has a free prequel to the game that features the same voice-actors, so it's a pretty good demo of what you're getting in the game. It does not have the record / submit mechanic though and is just a choose-your-own-adventure.

The general concept of the game is great and the production is stellar - lots of voice acting, a couple of original songs, but unfortunately the story is so high-concept that none of it was even slightly believable to me.

2.5/5

Last edited:

FunnyJay