|OT| Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Help Me Steam You're My Only Hope

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Apparently you can dynamically turn either side on and off in combat in this though? If true that could make some really interesting gameplay with feints/parries.
You could do that in Academy too. If you wanted to throw it you had to, otherwise you'd simply kick your enemy.

Damn, that series was good.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Having a hard time deciding where and how I want to get this. I want to preorder so I get the lightsaber color, but I also want achievements and I'm not sure if I want to rent it!!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm currently replaying Academy and even better: You could switch from double bladed to double handed. The character splits the double bladed saber into two. All together: You are an agile, killing machine in this one. If you hit an enemy, he'll most likely die. Add three combat styles to the mix and you have a pretty complex system.

The GoG versions runs well enough on modern systems. You can force it to use 16:9 resolutions (tried up to 4k without problems) by changing a couple lines in the config files. Unluckily some cut-scenes will glitch out and you need to hammer ENTER while they are loading or else you'll get stuck. :(
Level design and puzzles are a bit archaic from time to time, but enjoyable. Played it back then, always remembered it fondly and I'm surprised how well it hold ups. If you are going to give it a try in the future (it often costs under 5€ during sales): This is very fast combat designed for mouse.

I don't expect Fallen Order to play the same. It is a very different kind of combat and that's okay. I just hope the Lightsaber isn't too much like a blunt sword though and feels deadly. And I also hope the story is good. PLEASE!

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Indeed, I have been watching the Streaming last night and, as expected, looks actually pretty crazy, Respawn is top tier.

Deleted member 113

I just bought an E.A. game.
Me. I can't believe it! :eek:

I spent nearly a decade without buying a single E.A. game (from the late 90's, after the crap they pulled with Origin Systems, Bullfrog, and Westwood, until the release of The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (for the Wii).
I was so "hardcore" about boycotting them, a friend ended up gifting me Freedom Force, a game I'm crazy about, from a developer I loved, because he knew I would never buy it, since it was an E.A. published game.

When they left Steam, I naturally didn't go running to buy their games on Origin (heck, after the crap they pulled with Origin Systems, I find even the name of the client f%&"#&% insulting), so it's been 8 years or so since I bought any of their games.

I haven't even followed the game closely, and my interest in Star Wars is at an all-time low, but E.A.'s return to Steam, coupled with a sudden interest in playing a new Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy-like game, and hearing about the game having some exploration elements (and visiting different planets) just pushed me over the edge.

Let's see if the "gamble" will pay off. ;)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
This isn't a World Wide Release. Chances are high this can be unlocked in 4-5h via a VPN to New Zealand.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

My reaction after the tutorial.

Especially after dueling an inquisitor

You Maniacs EA, That's what I've been asking for the entire time since you bought the license.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm not far, just my second impression:

The Tutorial and Introduction was awesome 10/10 territory, but the pacing on the first and second planet is a bit off. It's not bad and quiet enjoyable but there are longer breaks without anything to do other than to climb around, grab ledges and do rather simple jump puzzles. This stuff was cool when Uncharted 1 did it, but it is loosing its appeal on me. Exploration on the first planet was fine, the second is rather long but surprisingly linear. Yes, there are many ways I can't go yet and I'll have to return one day with new powers but most junctions do not really lead anywhere and you hit dead ends very soon.
But the biggest Problem is: There just isn't enough Combat and when it happens it is often against rather boring wildlife.

Still, lot's of Star Wars flair, great music and visuals.

I wouldn't compare it to Sekrio or Souls tbh. It's more like God of Star Wars, but without "boy" and God of War being a bit better and bigger (so far).

Last edited:

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
I'm not far, just my second impression:

The Tutorial and Introduction was awesome 10/10 territory, but the pacing on the first and second planet is a bit off. It's not bad and quiet enjoyable but there are longer breaks without anything to do other than to climb around, grab ledges and do rather simple jump puzzles. This stuff was cool when Uncharted 1 did it, but it is loosing its appeal on me. Exploration on the first planet was fine, the second is rather long but surprisingly linear. Yes, there are many ways I can't go yet and I'll have to return one day with new powers but most junctions do not really lead anywhere and you hit dead ends very soon.
But the biggest Problem is: There just isn't enough Combat and when it happens it is often against rather boring wildlife.

Still, lot's of Star Wars flair, great music and visuals.

I wouldn't compare it to Sekrio or Souls tbh. It's more like God of Star Wars, but without "boy" and God of War being a bit better and bigger (so far).
Hm. Not sure what this does to my enthusiasm. I genuinely just want Star Wars Souls lol.

Reactions: lashman

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The Steam integration seems pretty bad, unfortunately. It is not possible to start the game in big picture mode for me, which is how I intended to play the game.

It seems like my 60 dollars bought me a spot on the Origin for Steam beta test team

Edit: My preliminary assessment was wrong. The game does not launch in Steam at all, irrespective of big picture mode or not. Because of this, the Steam integration could more correctly be described as non-existent.

The only redeeming feature here is that the game will at least launch from Origin

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Hm. Not sure what this does to my enthusiasm. I genuinely just want Star Wars Souls lol.
Just an early impression and one of many. Combat is fun and looks great, when executed properly. Souls Combat can be relatively defensive and slow. This one is faster, more aggressive but not as fast or tight as Sekiro. You can adjust the difficulty and starting with Jedi Master it gets unforgiving. Normal can be a bit easy for "Souls Veterans", but a good way to learn it. Story mode is also there... but I didn't even try it.
The level design in Souls games feels more natural though and "bonfires" are a pretty common sight here.
As said: The game does nothing wrong and nothing is bad. I'm enjoying it a lot, but I also love Star Wars so I'm a bit biased.

Reactions: d00d3n

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Apparently Steam Family Sharing doesn't work, presumably due to the Origin integration. Which seems like a shame, but maybe they'll fix it. Or maybe it won't matter eventually because I think they're working on making EA's games work natively within Steam.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Sorry for spamming, but I fell like having to report back:
Got a new force power + my droid learned a new trick and the second planet (Zeffo btw) opened up a lot. Like A LOT.
Had a lot of fun exploring it for 2 hours. The level is even changing a bit, depending on where you are going to. Feels way better now, and there are many things I can't even reach yet (probably need more force powers and droid abilities).

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Turning down visual effects and post-processing to high really helps to be able to maintain 60 fps in 4k.

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Dathomir is a toxic, unwelcome place full of deadly enemies. Exactly as it should be :)
Don't go there as your second planet.

Turning down visual effects and post-processing to high really helps to be able to maintain 60 fps in 4k.
Give the Dynamic Resolution Setting a chance. It will drop down your resolution by a tiny bit whenever you are about to drop below 60, it is hardly noticeable and should give you a pretty much a locked 60.

Last edited:

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Give the Dynamic Resolution Setting a chance. It will drop down your resolution by a tiny bit whenever you are about to drop below 60, it is hardly noticeable and should give you a pretty much a locked 60.
Yeah I raised those settings to epic again. My vsync settings were messed up, could not be enabled in game, tried fast sync which lead to intense stuttering on planet one. When I disabled fast sync, the in-game vsync had turned on somehow. It is not locked to 60 fps but feels acceptable when playing with a controller.

Reactions: ISee

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I bought this today and played a couple of hours. So far yeah its good. Looks lovely. Im a bit shit at the combat but am struggling through. Its taking me a while to understand letting go of the block button before attacking. Im a turtle in souls games and im sure you can attack whilst blocking.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Who designs these facilities!? The induction tour must be a real eye opener.
"The kitchens are just down that corridor. A few steps past the whirling fans and the toilets and showers are down that path there."
"The one along the side of the mountain? With beasties? And moving heavy machinery? And piles of bones?"
"That's the one, yes. Oh, it's icy at times too. FYI."

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Got me renting a game for the first time ever on PC, so well done Respawn. 2nd planet with the ball puzzle is way larger than I thought. Very much enjoying this one. Forgiving souls like combat, uncharted spectacles, PoP traversal.

2880x1620@60 fps with dynamic scaling. Not sure if dynamic scaling is working. Turning it on and off in a drop fps area seems to have no effect. With the new nvidia sharpen and scaling it's looking pretty good though.

Oh, and as with many other games. Forcing 60 fps via RTSS makes my frametimes way smoother than the in game limiter.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I must be damned slow playing games because i'm on about 9 hours and still finding places in the second planet. I could go back and continue the story at any time but i keep finding new areas to explore. How the heck do people finish these games in 16 hours with 80% of each map done?

I also "solved" an encounter by realising if i timed things right then a mole-rat thing would leap out and knock a Stormtrooper Commander off a cliff. Nice.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
What are peoples load times like when you die and respawn? Ive copied the install to my new M.2 ssd and am curious if it makes much difference. I think its a bit quicker than the standard ssd. I think before it was taking about 10ish seconds, now its about 6-7.

All those seconds saved! By then end of the day ill have like an extra minute to do with as i please.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
~70% done
I really like the game, like a lot. I like exploring things, I like the LS combat, I love the setting, the music is great. I can neat-pick a lot of things and I'm not sure if somebody who isn't interested in Star Wars would have as much fun as I do. But this is a 89.5/100 for me so far. Really good.

What are peoples load times like when you die and respawn? Ive copied the install to my new M.2 ssd and am curious if it makes much difference. I think its a bit quicker than the standard ssd. I think before it was taking about 10ish seconds, now its about 6-7.

All those seconds saved! By then end of the day ill have like an extra minute to do with as i please.
I also installed it on my NVMe, in hope to make the loading stutters go away (which it doesn't).
Loading times are 10ish seconds. Don't know, never measured it tbh. But I also never had the feeling that they were annoyingly long so, even on a "standard" SSD.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I also installed it on my NVMe, in hope to make the loading stutters go away (which it doesn't).
Loading times are 10ish seconds. Don't know, never measured it tbh. But I also never had the feeling that they were annoyingly long so, even on a "standard" SSD.
Yeah, im not sure its made that much difference putting it on the new drive. Just been reading about console load times being 1min + !

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Load times are about 10 seconds for me from SSD when i die. There's a long load when starting the game obviously but after that i barely notice it. I've also worked out why the thread over there is so grumpy, they're mainly playing on consoles. Once tha clicked the negativity kind of explained itself.

I still get stutters when it loads stuff into the cache but aside from that any framerate dips have been unoticable for me.

It also helps that i haven't played Sekiro/Souls/Borne so i don't have any expectations and muscle-memory to overcome. I'm about to grab a coffee and put in another 8 hours i reckon!

StarSouls! :)

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Loading times on respawn are more or less 10 seconds on my end. Meanwhile, first time loading screen from main menu is varied on the map, but it's only 20 seconds at most. And it's on HDD, not SSD. Does it mean that it doesn't matter on this game? Weird.

I heard that respawn may take as long as a minute on consoles. Of course people are pissed about it. :blobxorcism:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Yeah, Cal can be a prick. At one point in the game he complaint about the empire destroying nature, only to murder wildlife one second later. It was a kinda funny moment.

It's not just the loading times on consoles btw. Performance on the base ones is also pretty bad and often falls below 30 fps. PC performance threads are full of people complaining about small loading stutters when entering new areas, while one S can have them for 7 second. I understand people on base consoles not being happy tbh.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Those small streaming stutters happen for me in many UE games though so i guess i'm used to it?

Now to spend 10 minutes trying to git gud and actually execute on a simple puzzle. It's doing my nut in!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I feel like people are comparing this way to much to Sekiro, Bloodborne and Souls. You have two different combat styles in here.

Combat versus wildlife (spiders, rats, giant monsters that want to eat your face) is different than combat against humanoid enemies.

Wildlife has no defense meter and you do direct damage to their health pool. Circling around them, parrying, dogging is effective. Force powers can be used, but not always with great results (unless you manage to throw some critters of a cliff, or push a monster while he tries to execute an unblock-able attack). This plays like old school souls (or close to it). You wait for an opportunity to strike.

Humanoid Enemies (most of them) can only be damaged if you deplete their defense meter first (which regenerates quickly). You can do this by striking them (not very effective), parrying (still not very effective but cool looking and more effective than just dogging/normal blocking) and by using force powers. The last one can do incredible damage to their defense meter or even one hit them. But you only have so much power and need to be aggressive to replenish it. You can crowd control enemies (pick them up and use as a shield, freeze an elite one and kill the weaker ones first, push them around to make way so you can reach the ranged ones). In a fight against humanoids you are a demi god with super powers and not a ninja. You are encouraged to create your own opportunities to damage humanoids.

I mean, play however you like it. But I read so many things about "parrying is not as tight and good as in sekiro, or bloodborne was better". True, this isn't a from software game and it isn't reinventing the wheel and combat in Sekiro is more challenging and better tuned. But it plays different too.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I don't know if i said it before but I get the impression that this may be the game that puts an end to overuse of Soulslike or Sekirolike or comparing everything with melee weapons in it to From Software games. There's so many people expecting StarSouls and being disappointed it's making some threads hard to read. I got what i exepected and i'm pretty happy with it so far. In fact i'm glad it's not reskinned Dark Souls. Though to be honest if Respawn want to make the top two difficulties tighter and parry/combo like Souls then go for it. I'll never play at that level so it makes no odds to me.

Sure there's some glitches and bugs but nothing too problematic for me and if there's a mod to allow basic Pull/Push from the start then i'll be replaying this tons of times. Also StarSouls makes no sense now you can just throw people off ledges.

"Oh, aren't you a pain in the ass. Yoink See ya later, bubs."

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
Finished the game after about 25h with almost 100% completion. I have to say that Fallen Order is pretty good and way better than what I expected after the weak E3 stuff.

First of all, I never played a Soulsborne game for more than 1h, so I can't really compare it to that and I played the game on Story Mode difficulty. I liked the combat but it's a bit stupid that you get most of the cool abilities/upgrades quite late in the game. So the combat isn't as fun as it could be most of the time, sadly.

But I just loved how Star-Wars-y the game is. It's a great game for Star Wars fans. Even with a weak/average story, the audio and visual stuff was on point and it felt a bit like playing a Star Wars movie.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018

Okay, i get it now. On my PC when i say stutter i mean it stutters for about 2 seconds but i have complete control, can pan around etc and it only happens on area boundaries it seems but holy hell, the base consoles downright stall for a few seconds. Wow. Totally not my experience at all.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
You turn into a killing machine near the end. Awesome! Pure force powers and Lightsaber action spectacle.
I also really like the story and where it is going currently (from a Star Wars pov). A lot of scenes and encounters that I never saw coming!
This is a really good Star Wars Game! Congratulations Respawn, I'm in love.

Looking forward to finish it tomorrow.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The last third of the game. My reactions as a reasonable adult and Star Wars Fan: HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THIS WAS AWESOME. OMG!

Reactions: Deleted member 113

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I really suck at the combat in this game. It just doesn't click with me. Even on easy it's just embarrassing.
I started the game with the same mindset I have when playing Souls game, movement in combat is my main focus, dodging, positioning and timed attacks, this just don´t work in this game, the majority of enemy attacks are homed at you so dodging is almost useless, the only thing that I find that worked for me was sidesteps and parrying like crazy and counter attacking, it bacame repetitive very quick.

Reactions: Dandy