|OT| Starfield | No Man's Skyrim

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

DEVELOPER: Bethesda Games Studios
PLATFORM: PC | XBOX | Game Pass
RELEASE: September 6, 2023 | Premium Early Access: September 1, 2023

Starfield is the first new universe in over 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4. In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom as you embark on an epic journey to answer humanity’s greatest mystery.

Customize your unique character with 1 of 20 Backgrounds, 18 optional Traits, and over 80 Skills. Take to the stars and explore 1,000 planets, build your own outposts, catalogue new life and minerals, customize your ship, and recruit a crew.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 125 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD Required

RECOMMENDED
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 125 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD Required

CONSTELLATION

Constellation is a legendary organization focused on exploration. By the time your journey begins, humanity's drive to explore the galaxy has waned, and most are unaware Constellation even exists anymore. Early on, the player is recruited by them in order to discover the secrets of an ancient, alien artifact.

I'm sorry, Todd. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Thanks for making the OT.

Its so close now. Can't believe how fast these last few months flew by.

I still have no idea what kind of character I am gonna make. Or what I will actually being doing first in the game lol.

Piracy seems like a real cool thing. I'm guessing the first ships you get in the game will be very limiting so maybe jacking a nicer ship in the beginning is the way to go and open up the rest of the galaxy faster that way.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for making the OT.

Its so close now. Can't believe how fast these last few months flew by.

I still have no idea what kind of character I am gonna make. Or what I will actually being doing first in the game lol.

Piracy seems like a real cool thing. I'm guessing the first ships you get in the game will be very limiting so maybe jacking a nicer ship in the beginning is the way to go and open up the rest of the galaxy faster that way.
Baldur's Gate 3 really ate up all of August for me, but now that I've finished it I'm definitely feeling the excitement for Starfield.

I'm in the same boat as you - no idea who I'm going to make! I have it narrowed down to 9 backgrounds. My first character will probably be a good guy/explorer-type. I'll save the piracy and villainy for another run.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Got my preload ready and i'm just waiting for the 1st now.
I also have a few days off work booked from the 7th so i'm ready to go.

Bethesda games have given me literally hundreds of hours of fun so i have no problem picking this up at launch.

Let's gooo!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I am also still playing BG3, and only in like Act 1 :ripblob:
Pffft, who would do that? Buy a big game while still in the first part of another big game after tens of hours?

Couldn't be me...

Build planners are starting to appear... i rarely plan builds but some people like them
Obviously the early ones will be based off videos and the leaked game so they'll fill out in two days when the EA is open.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Nexus are assembling a Patch & Tool team with SimonMagus or "Simonrim" fame, Arthmoor's team were asked but declined.

I'm kinda glad and hopeful that there's an alternative to the "Unofficial Starfield Patch Team" right out of the gate.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Looking at the image in the OP and the preload unlock time, I'd say yeah.
Should be 1am BST/2AM CEST on Friday morning.

Not sure when the preload will start decompressing and validating though.
Same time i guess rather than being ready for around 1am i think it'll start to unlock and decompress at 1am.
As long as i can start playing when i finish work at around 4pm Friday i'll be happy.
I might sleep in the evening, set an alarm for 1am, kick off the preload processing ( if it's not automatic ) and depending on how long it'll take i might stay up for a while and maybe grab and hour before going back to sleep.

I actually installed Starfield in the steam library on my NVME to try to make sure of the best performance, ha.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Hang on... thursday evening?
... and there's some nice words about the teams and people that made Starfield but my takeaway is... Thursday evening?
Gotta be some kind of timezone thing where thursday in NZ is friday everywhere else?

( Final paragraph - someone explain like i'm 5 )

Reactions: yuraya
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Hang on... thursday evening?
... and there's some nice words about the teams and people that made Starfield but my takeaway is... Thursday evening?
Gotta be some kind of timezone thing where thursday in NZ is friday everywhere else?

( Final paragraph - someone explain like i'm 5 )
Yeah, it goes live in North America on Thursday night... Which is Sept 1 at noon in NZ.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
So that could mean it's 1pm BST or 2pm CEST for EA unlock on 31st?
Midnight 1st September in NZST is 13:00 BST 31st Aug.
I was expecting early friday morning... Tomorrow morning is going to draaaaaag as i wait for 1pm (13:00) !

pinging Li Kao it might go out of EA tomorrow after lunch !

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I was expecting early friday morning... Tomorrow morning is going to draaaaaag as i wait for 1pm (13:00) !

I epic fail at logic and timezone, are you saying that the timetable is wrong ?
If I read it correctly it seems to point to EA being open in France in a couple of hours, two past midnight.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

I epic fail at logic and timezone, are you saying that the timetable is wrong ?
If I read it correctly it seems to point to EA being open in France in a couple of hours, two past midnight.
The chart is right, AFAIK. It goes live in NZ on Sept 1st at noon(12PM) not midnight(12AM). The game goes live in London and Paris at 1AM and 2AM on September 1(ie: ~14 hours from now), respectively.

Last edited:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you for the thread. Pretty excited about finally playing this; it's been the only game I've pre-ordered since... I can't even remember, probably Mass Effect 2.

Hopefully I'll be playing a lot and not contributing anything to this thread in about 14 hours. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'm not going to bother with media for a few days. I don't really care what the reviews are now that i know people have been playing it and no major performance issues have been noted, well that i've seen anyone mention anyway. On PC that is.

I've had a great time with FO3, FO4 & Skyrim so i;m pretty confident i'll enjoy this and that when the modding scene takes off it'll have a nice long set of legs.
Hell, i just installed two Fallout 4 and a Skyrim modlist in the last few days. I'm sure i'll be playing Starfield ( modded to hell and back ) still in a few years too.

Reshade shaders and Steam Deck icon packs are already up...

I fully expect some modders have been messing about with the leaked version to quick test tools, check what file formats & compression have been changed etc and to just get a feel of what can be done without the Creation Kit.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Woohooo! I am definitely a space engineer!
PC has been making odd noises lately and i suspect one of the fans, i finally got bothered to check and it was one of the GPU fans!
Tried to spin it by hand to see if it was just stuck and it was notchy, dreading RMA, i accidentally knocked the GPU stand out from under the GPU and the fan started spinning again. Somehow the stand must have moved and had been blocking the fan. Now all 3 fans are spinning nicely and my 4070Ti is ready for space!

I would have been really moody if i'd had to put my 2070 non-super back in on the night of the Starfield unlock but nope, we are go for launch!

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher and Dandy
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

This video covers a lot of the lore for Starfield. It covers factions, religions, major locations, and the timeline leading up to the present. It does show footage of the final game while doing so, and there are some things that are spoiler-adjacent(ie: the fate of Earth), though it all feels like stuff your character would know at the start of the game... or that would be in manual if such things still existed.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
1 hour to go! Ahhhhhh!

My plan for tonight was to play the new No Man's Sky Expedition while I wait, but all I can think about it Starfield so I keep quitting.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I saw a few reviewers recommending people to rush to the New Game + because apparently there is a twist after completing the main story.

Personally I am not doing that. Going to take it in slowly during the first playthrough and leave the NG+ to later date. Who plays Bethesda game for once anyway

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I saw a few reviewers recommending people to rush to the New Game + because apparently there is a twist after completing the main story.

Personally I am not doing that. Going to take it in slowly during the first playthrough and leave the NG+ to later date. Who plays Bethesda game for once anyway
Same. I saw people talking about that, but I'm not rushing.

• Comfy

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
60% and my PC is going full tilt, nice one Steam! Let's gooooo!
I thought it might take aaaaaageeeeeesssss but nope.

I had to restart Steam to get the preload to unpack, took about 8 minutes, i then had to restart Steam again for the "Play" button to go green.
it's 1:20am and i have work tomorrow do i have a quick dabble? hmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Nice OT!

Not playing this game on release since I'd never play a Bethesda game unmodded, but I'll be watching its modding scene with a great interest!

Also, because the $120 asking price for the standard edition is insane, lmao. :flare_lmao:

HF. :flare_smirk:

Reactions: Cacher and Dandy

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Well, got my character made and met the Constellation crew. Options aren't the greatest but they work. Looking forward to hair and eye-color mods.

Went with the Cyberrunner (sp?) background with the Wanted and Neon street-kid traits.

Any opinions on how well I did with this facemorph?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So the adoring fan is actually very entertaining. I was worried he would be annoying but the chatter actually making me smile.

Him getting all excited for combat as pirates attack us was pretty funny. Seems like a good loner companion to have.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
That's a pretty good character SaberVS7

The customization menus are a bit obtuse and I defintely fought for a while there to get a character like I wanted. Fallout 4's character creation was more intuitive.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Auto HDR looks terrible in this. Really washed out. Blegh, have to switch it off for now.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Interesting. Potential is clearly there.
I just have to familiarize myself a bit more with the world to feel at home, the beginning is a little too free form for me. And ya, the UI…
But all in all, it looks, feels and play like a time vortex.

I don’t know yet what is worth looking at in the furniture of a building, how to know if someone needs help with a quest, I lack understanding of the grammar the game uses.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I played for an hour last night. Mainly just CC and the tutorial. Here's my guy, though I am probably going to start over when I get home tonight. :LOL: I really wish they let you save the game right before you enter the character creator.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I played around ~6 hours but about 3 of those were just making characters (I'm that kind of person).

My dream is that games will allow you to some day save your character creator templates but I guess no dev will ever see the point of that lol. BG3 and this really needed it. You're giving me so many options! I could spend 10 hours just making new characters.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I will probably also spend a few hours on character creation. Have been thinking if I want to dive completely into role-playing the game, like writing up a personality and personal history for my character and all my actions in the game should be logical and explainable based on them.

Reactions: lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nope, at least i've not seen It anywhere
Nope! They’ve used Auto HDR as a crutch and that seems to be broken anyway.
What the hell. That's completely unacceptable from a big spectacle AAA game at this point IMHO. Doubly so if it's a Microsoft product.
Triply so with a science fiction space game where HDR really shines.

... of course, not having an in-game FoV setting in a first person game is even more unacceptable.