|OT| Starfield | No Man's Skyrim

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I wasn't really play this at first, because not sure I can handle 30fps... but man the hype is getting to me! I absolutely love Bethesda style games, yeah I have over 200 hours in Fallout 4. So I might actually play this, I mean I have it on game pass so why not? Still have so much of BG3 to play hmh.

Reactions: C-Dub and Dandy

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
What the hell. That's completely unacceptable from a big spectacle AAA game at this point IMHO. Doubly so if it's a Microsoft product.
Triply so with a science fiction space game where HDR really shines.

... of course, not having an in-game FoV setting in a first person game is even more unacceptable.
Its a baffling decision, same with the absence of a FoV slider. Something that i honestly would've never expected from Bethesda. Also 21:9 works natively and well but for some reason Super Ultrawide doesn't work (Defaults at a 16:9 aspect ratio)
There are many things that are just hard to understand

Galdere

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
Welcome to the space force. Here's your ship and your own personal robot. Off you go and explore the galaxy.

Oh no hang on, I'm just going back inside to steal everyone's slippers and toilet roll and plates and stuff first ok, just ignore me won't be a sec.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I played around ~6 hours but about 3 of those were just making characters (I'm that kind of person).

My dream is that games will allow you to some day save your character creator templates but I guess no dev will ever see the point of that lol. BG3 and this really needed it. You're giving me so many options! I could spend 10 hours just making new characters.
Skyrim and Fallout 4 had character appearance preset import/export so i would expect them to appear fairly soon.
The one wrinkle is that i think both of them require an injector tool/Engine like F4SEor SKSE but i can't see it taking too long to develop basic versions at least. They've been available for years so the codebase is stable, it will just take some time and investigation to customise them for Starfield.

The first steps are usually import/export of appearance through save game editors.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Could you try the game EdwardTivrusky ?
Yep, i ended up playing 83 minutes when it unlocked but then i had to get some sleep for work today.
I've just finished work so i'll be doing some shopping, sorting some house things out and then settling in for the weekend.
I have to remake my character as she looks like someone's mum trying to relive the 80s ... but i think i'll lean into that aesthetic even harder now i think of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: inky and Cacher

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
After playing about 4 hours, I've had an epiphany... Brace yourselves guys, this one is a doozy...

Starfield is a Bethesda game... in space.

Depending on who you are, this is either exactly what you were hoping for or exactly what you were afraid of :p

First of all, the PC port seems okay except for a few issues. It has a lowish FOV with no way to increase it, they shipped it without raw mouse input and FSR sucks balls. These things we'll need to fix externally.

The character creator is super indepth. Not something I usually enjoy in games but I thought I'd give it a go in this one. Didn't last more than 60 seconds. Just moved sliders around and the only thing I chose properly was eye colour. It's good for those who do love character customization though.

I was wondering how they would start the game. Every Elder Scrolls has you starting out as a prisoner, every Fallout has you in a Vault. How would they do it here? I think the start was okay in this one. The only thing I found super corny is how you are just given a ship to fly around in. That was mildly ridiculous from a narrative perspective.

I've done the first bit of the game and reached the first city. It looks quite nice. They lifted this system from Mass Effect 3 where you get side quests as you walk past NPCs having conversations and you overhear what they're talking about. Don't think I'm a huge fan of this. It was barely acceptable in ME3 because the spaces in that game were quite small but here the city is massive and it's entirely possible you can miss out on quests if you don't go somewhere. Not a big deal but yeah, I wish it wasn't like that. Although some of the side quests seem designed specifically to take you around the city itself and get a chance to explore it.

I'm also somewhat ambivalent on the skill system so far. You can invest skill points that you earn into traits but you have to complete a challenge with any particular trait to be able to level it up further. For example, I chose persuasion to be able to talk my way into getting things done. Now I cannot level it up further until I have successfully passed a certain number of persuasion checks. Except, my odds of passing a persuasion check increase as I put more points into the skill. This seems a little... cyclic and I hope it's balanced well. Because it's entirely possible you reach a point where you cannot pass any persuasion checks because your skill is too low and you cannot level up the skill because you cannot pass persuasion checks.

I also have some doubts about lockpicking and planet resource scanning but I'll figure it out along the way.

Already seen a few bugs. That robot that follows you around can make a mess of cutscenes because of no collision. I've also seen people talking to me while they're walking backwards away from me. Two separate guards have literally just floated upwards into the sky. Yeah.

The game seems good otherwise. Looks quite nice aside from FSR fucking up the IQ. They've put more effort into space flight and space combat than I thought they would. It feels like an upgraded version of Freelancer combat. Can't help but make comparisons of this game with Star Citizen in terms of what both are trying to do and what compromises Starfield makes to actually ship a game versus the kind of no compromise philosophy of Star Citizen ensuring that it will never be a fully realized product.

It seems fun so far. I've basically halted the narrative to do side quests around the city so I haven't met any of the main characters yet. But yeah, I'm enjoying it.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I propose we change the title to Masstar Efieldfect :p

Seems more appropriate

I'm loving it btw
I'm also somewhat ambivalent on the skill system so far. You can invest skill points that you earn into traits but you have to complete a challenge with any particular trait to be able to level it up further. For example, I chose persuasion to be able to talk my way into getting things done. Now I cannot level it up further until I have successfully passed a certain number of persuasion checks. Except, my odds of passing a persuasion check increase as I put more points into the skill. This seems a little... cyclic and I hope it's balanced well. Because it's entirely possible you reach a point where you cannot pass any persuasion checks because your skill is too low and you cannot level up the skill because you cannot pass persuasion checks.
Their games used to have like a "freebie" entry into skills. You could be an Axe Barbarian but still make use of stealth meter and even some sneak bonuses, for example. With Starfield they are pretty much asking you to commit upfront to what you want to do, which I personally prefer. It makes your choice of perks more impactful, although that's the entry level perks. Down the tree it's usually numerical increases.

As for the persuasion option, there will always be easy checks for you to pass so Idon't think it will be a problem. They just won't get you as far as the hard ones with the limited amount of tries you get with the dialogue mini-game. Leveling up the skill should allow you to make riskier dialogue choices from the get go and it is reflected in the color and +X option (talking to the pirate leader from the beginning with a character without persuasion shows different scores for those same options for example), and obviously improves your chances with the really hard ones that only the characters with higher levels should pass.

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: Dandy and Cacher

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
With Starfield they are pretty much asking you to commit upfront to what you want to do, which I personally prefer. It makes your choice of perks more impactful, although that's the entry level perks. Down the tree it's usually numerical increases.
Yeah this is why I'm hoping it's balanced properly. Persuasion checks are rare so am I forced to attempt persuasion every time the opportunity appears in the dialogue options? What happens if I decide that I don't feel like using persuasion several times in a row? As a comparison, the challenge to upgrade the jetpack ability is to use it 10 times during combat. You can do that in a single fight at any point in time in the game. So suppose you get the jetpack but then you don't upgrade for 30 hours of gameplay... you can still get the challenge done in one fight when you finally decide you want to put more points into it. If you get persuasion at the start and you don't use it for 30 hours, will you still be getting low level skill checks at that point? That's why I said I hope the balance is done properly. It's still early to pass any judgement on how it'll turn out.

Speaking of traits, has anyone come across something they think is or will be invaluable for the game? All the traits sound interesting and having a bit of choice paralysis on what to pick.

Reactions: inky
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I restarted last night, and played long enough to reach new Atlantis. Something about the visuals on Kreet bothered me, though I'm not sure exactly what it was. It's like everything blended together or something, which made searching the Research Facility tedious. There are so many random items everywhere and it's hard to tell what is what. Part of this is the setting - in a fantasy game I know what 99% of the items are when I look at them. In a sci-fi setting everything looks like a weird package, or box, or tube, and I have to mouse over everything just to determine what it is, let alone if it is worth picking up.

Also, the final battle of the area was bizarre, with the boss and some of his lackeys jumping off the roof, forcing me to hunt them down.

Anyway, I miss the joy of turn-based combat.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Surveying an entire planet was kind of hard. I was stuck at like 88-96% for a while before finally discovering the last remaining unknown location to scan them. I had to land in 8 different locations on a planet before finding what I needed.

Scanning some of these animals who start charging you if you get to close was hard. I don't know if there is a way to upgrade scanner so you can scan from a distance but getting too close to these animals led me to death several times lol.

The pay for surveying the planet was decent 9k credits but yea a bit too time consuming if a planet has a lot of shit.

Also that Mantis mission was pretty good. Wasn't expecting such an epic reward.

Reactions: inky and lashman

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah this is why I'm hoping it's balanced properly. Persuasion checks are rare so am I forced to attempt persuasion every time the opportunity appears in the dialogue options? What happens if I decide that I don't feel like using persuasion several times in a row? As a comparison, the challenge to upgrade the jetpack ability is to use it 10 times during combat. You can do that in a single fight at any point in time in the game. So suppose you get the jetpack but then you don't upgrade for 30 hours of gameplay... you can still get the challenge done in one fight when you finally decide you want to put more points into it. If you get persuasion at the start and you don't use it for 30 hours, will you still be getting low level skill checks at that point? That's why I said I hope the balance is done properly. It's still early to pass any judgement on how it'll turn out.

Speaking of traits, has anyone come across something they think is or will be invaluable for the game? All the traits sound interesting and having a bit of choice paralysis on what to pick.
I totally see what you mean. I expect there to be enough opportunities for you to do so especially with persuasion, but it's hard to tell with the game pulling you in so many directions on which quests you'll find your avenues.

For example, I have the Fitness skill and the challenge is to run out of O2 10 times. This means not only emptying your 02 (stamina) bar, but filling up the CO2 bar as well. I've been mostly exploring and scanning, not questing so you'd think it would be easy/ But in 6 hours and exploring most of Kreet, I only did it 2 times. The reward is 10% more stamina, which I don't think I need lol. Seems kind of balanced around a melee mobile fighter, which uses O2 for actions, but because I'm using rifles and a jet-pack, it's not moving along.

As far as traits, I'm obviously nowhere near the point of being able to answer any of that, but doesn't seem like there are any musts. Just try what peaks your curiosity. Stuff like the Adoring Fan or Kid Stuff are more front facing because you meet new characters right away. Others just show unique dialogue options and they might have their own associated quest later on. The faction/religion ones are geared towards interacting most with those factions and your playstyle. If you want to be a crazed serpent cultist character, well, the trait will open doors. Want to be a soldier type, UC will help with their quests, and so on.

Would suggest you pick a couple at least, it can't hurt.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Random thoughts are random.

Can you put an object down in a specific place / manipulate it ? I think I saw someone setting up an exploding barrel and I have no idea how.
Not for a fucking barrel, for something that MATTERS. A cute green plushy.

Is there a point where enemies die before you unload your third clip on them ?

Will the game fiction stop shitting itself at every corner ? Much has been said about the whole here is my ship and my bot bro, but there are other nitpicky occurrences. Like here is New Atlantis, the crown jewel of the civilized world, step a feet outside and it’s the law of the jungle, no roads, deserted labs occupied by raiders. Ok.

Romance will be complicated with my totally not Jodie Foster. She globally has as much life and charm as a wooden plank. But all is not lost, she made me laugh ! While entering the lodge she shared about some food giving her bowel issues. Then immediately after she said we should chill for a change. Then promptly went levitating upon the neatest chair.

I keep waiting for the whole disjointed thing to click, and it must do something right because I played all day, but, well I’m still waiting.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
You mean fly from Space to the planet surface like in No Man's Sky?
Not that i know of.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
A few hours in, and I feel like the Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3 formula doesn’t work so well on a game of this scale.

Plus the writing hasn’t improved since those days. It might actually be worse.

I was really excited for this game. On paper it’s supposed to scratch an itch I’ve had since I started playing games. The reality is just rather… underwhelming.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I just ran into my mom and dad for the first time -- they are voiced by Nana Visitor(Major Kira from Deep Space 9) and Tim Russ(Tuvok from Voyager).

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have a HUGE storage issue. Be it characters or ship. And I have no idea how to fix it.
Characters, well augmenting ‘strength’ only goes so far. Chests ? Well, no chest in the main crafting room of constellation because genius, there is one in your room, and well, that leaves us with the cargo hold…

There is ZERO tutorial on ship building. It’s unbelievable.

Help. I need storage.

I have a choice between spending one hour trying to understand the upgrade system, or blow my load on a big chunky boy which given its stats apparently shoots potatoes. Yay.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I don't know which room is mine at the Lodge. Noel was supposed to give me a tour, and then she started talking to Sarah. :unamused-face:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I'm near enough to dropping this. It's been a while since I've felt scammed for buying a game, but here we are...

I arrive on New Atlantis and the first guy I'm supposed to speak to starts floating up into the sky until he disappears.

Thankfully that's the only bug I've encountered. And it happened once.

Sadly, the rest of the game is a giant turd. Characters are talking heads, the first city I arrived in is completely lifeless, the lore is just very bland and generic space capitalism, with explorers chasing a macguffin of a long extinct alien race.

I just... I don't know what to say. On paper, this is the perfect game for me. I've waited literally decades to play, well, this. It's a real monkey's paw situation for me and I'm so sad the game has turned out like this.

It's just dull, trite, lifeless, uninspired, generic, bland, gormless, po-faced, or any other adjective for a wholly uninteresting game that you can think of.

Imagine the capital city of a system-spanning empire being less vibrant than a remote village in the middle of nowhere.

Imagine having to go through several layers of menus just to jump to a solar system, or change your weapon, or sell your loot, or do anything in this game.

Imagine talking to any NPC only to speak to a nodding dog in a picture frame.

Imagine The Expanse without any of the strong characterisation or political intrigue of that universe.

Imagine having more money than god to make a solar system-hopping open world space game, and what you get this inconsequential speck of faecal matter instead.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I have a HUGE storage issue. Be it characters or ship. And I have no idea how to fix it.
Characters, well augmenting ‘strength’ only goes so far. Chests ? Well, no chest in the main crafting room of constellation because genius, there is one in your room, and well, that leaves us with the cargo hold…

There is ZERO tutorial on ship building. It’s unbelievable.

Help. I need storage.

I have a choice between spending one hour trying to understand the upgrade system, or blow my load on a big chunky boy which given its stats apparently shoots potatoes. Yay.
The storage situation is tough in this. I'm 15hrs in and my 3 companions are all full up. My inventory is full and my 2 ships are full up. There is so many items. I have 24 diferent weapons and like 10 spacesuits. All different so I don't want to sell and anytime I get duplicates I give it to a companion. I've done a couple big sidequests but still its crazy to be this full only 15hrs in. The other Bethesda games usually go longer before you are in this situation and they don't have anywhere near as much storage. I guess I should go to Jemison and start selling everything that isn't a resource or rare items. Also I don't know what I would do without the Adoring fan. Without him storage situation would have happened even earlier.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I just don't pick anything up but 4 weapons for my rotation, ammo (I sell all the ammo I don't use, that's basically where money comes from; and missions), and any rare or better gear. I don't even pick up weapons because you can't take mods off and put them on something else like Fallout 4.

I don't know which room is mine at the Lodge. Noel was supposed to give me a tour, and then she started talking to Sarah. :unamused-face:
Go upstairs then all the way down the hallway to the bar, then all the way straight to the left of the bar, turn right, second door on your right.

Reactions: Galdere and Dandy

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
As far as traits, I'm obviously nowhere near the point of being able to answer any of that, but doesn't seem like there are any musts. Just try what peaks your curiosity. Stuff like the Adoring Fan or Kid Stuff are more front facing because you meet new characters right away. Others just show unique dialogue options and they might have their own associated quest later on. The faction/religion ones are geared towards interacting most with those factions and your playstyle. If you want to be a crazed serpent cultist character, well, the trait will open doors. Want to be a soldier type, UC will help with their quests, and so on.

Would suggest you pick a couple at least, it can't hurt.
Ah I meant to say skills (that you invest points into) instead of traits (which you select at character creation). Some of the skills are obvious (persuasion, lockpicking etc.) but others are a bit more esoteric (like gastronomy) and it's not immediately obvious what the long term benefits will be. Also, all the skills further down in the trees only have descriptions without actually telling you what they do until you reach that tier of skills by investing points in the tree. So it's a bit hard to try and plan a build outside of having a general idea of how you want to play your character.

Can you put an object down in a specific place / manipulate it ? I think I saw someone setting up an exploding barrel and I have no idea how.
Yeah I would like to know this as well. All I've been able to do is drop items and you can't place them on tables and stuff. Or at least I haven't figured out how to do it.

Is there a point where enemies die before you unload your third clip on them ?
They do feel a little spongy right? I figure we'll need to invest some points into the combat skills to make it feel better.

I'm still wandering around in New Atlantis trying to absorb the game world. I spent some time yesterday in that faction museum learning about the history they present. Paying attention to audio and text logs, although there aren't that many that I've found so far. My biggest issue right now is with how fragile and temperamental the game feels. For example, a few times now I've initiated conversations with someone who is moving and they inevitably continue walking while talking to me. So they will just walk out of the frame while I'm talking to them. Or if you approach someone from behind or the side they sometimes won't turn fully (or at all) towards you and you end up speaking to their back. This breaks immersion. So I tell myself to only talk to people when they stop moving and only approach them from the front. It feels a bit like you need to do what the game expects you to do or it'll fall apart in small or even big ways.

When I looked at the research and crafting benches I realized we're really going to need a ton of different materials to make that part of the game work. I think this game more than any previous BGS game needs an inventory expander mod. Also I hope the people who did SkyUI are looking at this game as well. I expected the UI to be made for controller with M+KB being an afterthought but it feels like some of the UI is bad even for controllers.

Reactions: Li Kao

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
You can click on a skill and see what each of the 4 tiers do, no? Even if you haven't put points into it.

The only thing you can't see is the requirements for leveling up each skill, but so far they've just been do more of the same thing you did, like get 10-50-100 kills, etc.

As far as which skills are best, it's really hard to say. In my mind, by level 40 which should be a strong character build, you can have 10 fully leveled skills. So I would choose a variety of 10 different skills that let me do the things I want my character to specialize in:

Combat and Traversal are a must imo, so either something like Fitness or Boostpack and a couple weapon skills. You can focus on two or three different kinds of weapons, or a mix of stuff like gun/rifle+stealth for damage. Some ship skills might be necessary to defend yourself, but maybe not that much if you don't go full bounty hunter missions.

Then you have utility skills: Do you want to be good at crafting mods for weapons? Persuading people? Modifying your suit? Crafting meds/drugs for buffs and healing? Piloting/Dogfighting? Surveying animals or minerals or planets?

Of course 40 is an arbitrary number depending on your quest progression/goals. If I feel like I can get away with, say, only 2 tiers in a few skills, you can spread out a little more and only aim for the 4 tiers in the really useful skills and have 12-15 skills rounding out your character.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
You can click on a skill and see what each of the 4 tiers do, no? Even if you haven't put points into it.
It sometimes gives a vague description of what the skill is going to do.

For example this doesn't actually tell you what gameplay benefit you are going to get. The right side panel, where it says locked, is where a skill actually tells you the effect on gameplay. So for example if you choose a specific skill you do 10% more damage with pistols or shotguns or something like that. In many cases you can just infer the effect from the name of the skill and the general description but some of them are kind of vague.

If I have an idea that I want to go deep into the persuasion tree then I'll probably want to get this Manipulation skill but as of now I don't understand what it does exactly.

I'm starting to think Fitness is a pretty important one. The maps in this game are huge and having to stop running because you're wheezing so often is mildly annoying.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Maybe there is hope for me ! I just had a totally enjoyable, if not incredible at all, session doing a faction quest. The first vanguard one, it’s even mildly interesting for the consequences the event could have, at least on lore.
So yeah, buggy and disjointed, janky as fuck and procedural content beyond boring. But nice quests. I would say this should have been the expected outcome. Bethesda gonna Bethesda.

I would say that despite its horrible rep, I could see me enjoying Fallout 4 better ? (Didn’t play it)
The whole open world sandbox immersion that is Beth trademark is obliterated in Starfield.

Reactions: inky

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I did click on it. I'm actually not seeing any difference between your screenshot and mine. We can both see the vague description of the skill in the left panel. The actual gameplay effect of any skill shows up on the right panel where it currently says that we need to spend X more points on the tree to unlock that tier.

I went and checked the wiki and this is what the skill actually does;

We will not learn this in the game until we have spent the correct number of skill points to unlock this tier of skills. That's why it's slightly tricky to plan out builds in advance unless you're looking at external sources. That's all I meant.

Maybe there is hope for me ! I just had a totally enjoyable, if not incredible at all, session doing a faction quest. The first vanguard one, it’s even mildly interesting for the consequences the event could have, at least on lore.
So yeah, buggy and disjointed, janky as fuck and procedural content beyond boring. But nice quests. I would say this should have been the expected outcome. Bethesda gonna Bethesda.
I picked the Vanguard faction as well and that's one of the first quests I was planning to do when I get off planet. I'm kind of curious if the starter quest is the same for everyone or if they are picking from a pool of quests to give people.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I'm not sure why what I posted is not showing up. It's supposed to be a video I just took. Let me post a couple of screenshots instead.

I hover over an unlocked skill, I see this:

I click it, this happens:

you can clearly read what the skills do, even see how the patch evolves and looks in its final form. You can tab back out or just click outside of the window.

Really not sure why it's not working for you. Re-uploaded the video above just in case.

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
So you guys are not going to believe this. I was abducted by aliens last night and the alien that replaced me has been posting in this thread today. You can tell the alien was a complete moron because they didn't even bother to click on the button in the skill UI. But the good news is I'm back now and I can assure you that I totally knew that that's how it works all along.

You have to believe me.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Yeah I would like to know this as well. All I've been able to do is drop items and you can't place them on tables and stuff. Or at least I haven't figured out how to do it.
I think you can manipulate objects if you keep whatever button you need to get them pressed long enough (like A on an Xbox controller, or whatever the keyboard equivalent is), similar to how you do in Skyrim

• Gib
Reactions: inky and Li Kao
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
If you mouse over an item in the environment and hold E you will grab onto it(you don't have to keep holding it once it's floating in front of you) and flop it around. Press E again to drop it.

Edit: Whoops. STHX answered already. I didn't hit refresh!

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
The mod that autoclears the lockpick minigame and the one that makes the enemies less damage spongy increase the score of this game by at least 1.5 points, as well as the one that enables achievements even if you use the console, especially considering my very first savefile was considered "modded" before I even created my character (meaning no achievement for the entire run)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
As usual i have created a powershell script to backup my save games, this time i needed to make a few changes to work with Starfield but i was using it last night with no problem. I was mainly hoping that i could grab a save before character creation but the game didn't create an autosave at that point, it has disabled saving and i don't know the console commands to enable it.

It's a bit clunky as it puts each save in a date-time stamped subfolder as this suits my need for some games and i can't be bothered to change it.
It's also a bit messy as i was changing it on the fly.
It's mostly useful when using the "Save [NAME-Of-SAVE-GAME]" console command.

It has no need to run as Admin, in fact that would not work unless you login and run Steam as Admin which is not recommended.
It grabs the current username and uses that to construct the path to monitor for new/changed saves.

You can start it even when the game is running as it just watches the save folder, it doesn't hook into the exe or anything.
CTRL-C to close it, it will tidy up after itself and exit.
You will need to change line 44 to point to a folder to store the save game backups.

Code:
# Save Game Watcher and Backup - Starfield version
# Change the following line to suit your system
# This is the location of the folder to store the Starfield Save Games
# 44 - $DestPath = 'S:\\Games\\Starfield-Mods\\SSGW\\Starfield-Save-Archive'

# init vars
$currentUser = [System.Environment]::UserName
$WatchForCreation = "SSGW_Created"
$WatchForChange = "SSGW_Changed"
$MonitoredPath = 'C:\Users\'+$($currentUser)+'\Documents\My Games\Starfield\Saves'
$FileMaskToMonitor = '*.sfs.tmp'
$FileMaskToReplace = '.tmp'

# Create FSWatcher
Write-Host "Creating Starfield Save Game Watchers..."
$FSWatcher=New-Object IO.FileSystemWatcher($MonitoredPath, $FileMaskToMonitor)
$FSWatcher.IncludeSubdirectories = $true
$FSWatcher.EnableRaisingEvents = $true

# Register Object Events for Creation and Change
Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $FSWatcher -EventName Created -SourceIdentifier $WatchForCreation
Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $FSWatcher -EventName Changed -SourceIdentifier $WatchForChange

Write-Host "Created Starfield Save Game Watchers."
Write-Host "List of created Starfield Save Game Watchers..."
Get-EventSubscriber

try {
    # Keep going until ctrl-c
    While ($True){
        # Use wait-event not async
        $TheEvent = Wait-Event -SourceIdentifier $WatchForCreation
        $TheEvent = Wait-Event -SourceIdentifier $WatchForChange

# Remove Event from the queue
        $TheEvent | Remove-Event

# Process Event
        Write-Host "Copying File..."

# Copy-Item
        $fullPath = $TheEvent.SourceEventArgs.FullPath
        $MonPath = 'C:\\Users\\'+$($currentUser)+'\\Documents\\My Games\\Starfield\\Saves'
        $DestPath = 'S:\\Games\\Starfield-Mods\\SSGW\\Starfield-Save-Archive'
        $timeStamp = $TheEvent.TimeGenerated.ToString('ddMMyyyy-HHmmss').Replace(':','.')
        $NewPath = Join-Path -Path $DestPath $timeStamp

New-Item -ItemType Directory -Force -Path $NewPath | Out-Null
        Write-Host $NewPath

$NewFullPath = $fullPath -replace $MonPath, $NewPath
        $NewFullPath = $NewFullPath -replace $FileMaskToReplace, ''

$msg= '{0}  - File "{1}" was {2} To {3}' -f $TheEvent.TimeGenerated, $fullPath,$TheEvent.SourceEventArgs.ChangeType,$NewFullPath
        Write-Host $msg -ForegroundColor green

$SourceFile = [IO.FileInfo]$fullPath
        $SourceFile = $SourceFile -replace $FileMaskToReplace, ''

Write-Host $file.FullName
        Write-Host $SourceFile

Copy-Item -Path $SourceFile -Destination $NewFullPath -Force
        Write-Host ('{0} - It has been renamed {1}.' -f $TheEvent.TimeGenerated, $SourceFile) -fore Yellow

# Wait for a few seconds
        Start-Sleep -Seconds 5
    }
}
finally {
    Write-Verbose -vb 'Cleaning up...'
    # Clean up:
    Get-EventSubscriber | Unregister-Event
    Unregister-Event -SourceIdentifier $WatchForCreation
    Unregister-Event -SourceIdentifier $WatchForChange

# Dispose of the watcher.
    $FSWatcher.Dispose()

# Remove Jobs
    Get-Job | Remove-Job
}

I have some changes in mind but it was 3am so i wasn't too bothered about a few unnecessary lines.
Starfield creates the file as ".sfs.tmp" then renames it so I think i only need to attach a "When Changed" event and i may remove the sleep command which is used to prevent event clash in a previous version but i don't think is required here and might be hindering things.

edit: As this is a Bethesda game there's no real need for it but eh, i'll leave it here and when i fix it up for more general use i'll update it.

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I played for a few hours and so far the game feels interesting. You can tell it's a Bethesda game especially if you put it in third person as the animation is what I'm used from Creation Engine.

The start until you join Constellation felt kind of rushed but after it the game opened more and seems to respect your own pace.

After reading a book in the Lodge I got a quest about just going to our moon to find the Apollo mission remains, and what surprised more was Earth being totally barren, it must have something to do with not having a magnosphere anymore? I'm still exploring Moon and found some people to shoot at them and thats it so far.

Reactions: Cacher

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I've given it a few more hours and... nope. This ain't it.

I'm out. I was super excited for this game and my disappointment is hard to describe. I was expecting a Bethesda-ass Bethesda game, of course, but I didn't expect it to be so soulless. When I think back to my time with Skyrim, I remember an interesting world and lore, if a bit generic, but that still felt like it had some energy and momentum to it. Centuries of history, shifting politics and demographics, plausible factions.

In comparison, Starfield is really insipid. The world is very unconvincing, and science fiction is always an opportunity to hold up a mirror to society and show it something about itself. All Bethesda seem to have done with this mirror is admire their own image without an ounce of actual self-reflection or introspection on how they could make something good.

If the game gets better from where I dropped it, and my above criticisms become invalid, I don't care. It hasn't earned my attention and the time I've put into it is more than it deserves. I feel like I've wasted a precious weekend and however much money I paid for it.

I honestly wish I could refund this.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I honestly wish I could refund this.
If you bought it on Steam you can try to get a refund. The game is technically still unreleased so you would be refunding a pre-order and the automated refund system will likely let it through.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I won't do that personally, but that's how some people play.

I think it has to do with how slow the start is. Your character takes a while to get going skills wise, and other features like base/spaceship management feel more like late mid-game, so I take it people prefer to "restart" (basically what NG+ is) with a more defined character from the get go, able to branch out immediately, rather than slowly growing your potential.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Regarding romances...

It's so disappointing that the two male romance options are a widower and a cowboy with a kid. I just want a hot guy with no baggage. :LOL:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Regarding romances...

It's so disappointing that the two male romance options are a widower and a cowboy with a kid. I just want a hot guy with no baggage. :LOL:
Reminds me of Mass Effect 3 and Steve. I'm sorry, I just can't romance a guy that's going on about his dead husband all day every day.

• This!
Reactions: Dandy
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Found a nice ship on Mars called Econohaul. Has over 2600 cargo capacity and cost only 94k credits. There is another one on Mars called Marathon but it cost like 150k and 1600 cargo capacity.
I really want to just try upgrading the Frontier and using it all game, but the ship building system is overwhelming. Every time I try to delve into it, I back out.

Last edited:
  • This!
  • Gib
Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I seem able to play this ok at 50-60% 1440p FSR2 (so, ~1080p?) with medium-ish settings on my aging PC (3770K, GTX 1080). It crashed (I think the whole GPU driver and stuff) at the very first pirate outpost I explored past the first take off though, hopefully that was just a fluke. I locked it to 30fps for consistency, hopefully it doesn't go to shit when I reach a decent city. The game looks leaps and bounds better than Skyrim, that's for sure.

Space isn't dedicated space game quality but still better than I expected from a Bethesda RPG. Controls and menus could be better again, oh well. Combat feels ok but followers no better than previous games (AI doesn't react to them until they are aware of the player etc. but that's ok since they're dumbasses).

I was gonna make a lady but couldn't bother when first firing it up, I chose preset 37 which is the only decent looker and looks like The Expanse's Amos, lol.

Last edited: