|OT| Starfield | No Man's Skyrim

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
The decades of Skyrim and Fallout modding are paying off.
A version of SFSE has been released. This is "Starfield Script Extender" which is the Starfield version of a tool that has enabled a ton of great mods for Skyrim and Fallout.

It's still early days but seeing SFSE appear so quickly means that extending and changing the UI via Scaleform and new scripting via Papyrus is possible down the line.

Nexus.

My main hope is that the devs of some of the Character Preset Import/Export tools will be able to quickly get versions ready for Starfield.

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Somehow I got a new ship but I'm not sure how exactly I did it.

I was exploring Mars and found a ship with the hatch locked there was a settlement near it so my first thought was "that must be a pirate ship". Once inside I noticed that all the items had the indicator that are owned by someone, so I just left the ship and went to the settlement. To my surprise they weren't pirates or anything like that, and I found a NPC called "captain", she asked my help to donate a ship material to fix her ship and I presumed it was the ship I broke into.

After a few minutes I got a notification saying I had a new ship.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I finally read some vague story spoilers about New Game+ and how it changes things, and I'm going to stick with a normal playthrough. It doesn't let you recreate your character from scratch, which is what I want from NG+. I always thought it was stupid in Mass Effect that if you played as MaleShep the first time around, you couldn't be FemShep(or vice versa) on your NG+ run.

Also, 14 hours in and I'm thinking about restarting! I have weird RP issues with my character, and I can't change them with a simple trip to Enhance.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I decided it wasn't worth starting over for such a minor reason(I started as a FC member and don't really like em).

Things I learned today: If you use a bed/cot for 1 hour it restores your HP to full. Also, if you sit in a chair, you can make time move forward.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I haven't tried it but i give it a go might later on and it has been known to cause issues in previous Bethesda games if you change race/species but this isn't a thing in Starfield so i don't think it's a problem.
Anyway, if you can open a console with either ` or ' and then type slm 14, you can open the character creator.

On console or those who want to do it in-game there is a place you can change appearance, name etc and a different place where you can change traits.

Appearance:
Go to an Enhance salon - 500 creds
Traits:
Go to a Reliant Medical Centre

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I just spent the last hour or so playing with the ship builder. I had to restart a bunch of times cause I couldn't figure out what exactly was giving me conflicts, but I finally managed to make the Frontier slightly bigger, and upgraded the engines/reactor to make up for the increase in mass. Oh, and I added another cargo hold.

Last edited:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
At the bottom of the ship building screen there's a button called "Flight Test" or something to that effect. If you click it while you have some conflicts, it will tell you exactly what the issues are, whether's it's an unconnected module, lack of engine power, or whatever else.

Reactions: Cacher and Dandy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I finally read some vague story spoilers about New Game+ and how it changes things, and I'm going to stick with a normal playthrough. It doesn't let you recreate your character from scratch, which is what I want from NG+. I always thought it was stupid in Mass Effect that if you played as MaleShep the first time around, you couldn't be FemShep(or vice versa) on your NG+ run.

Also, 14 hours in and I'm thinking about restarting! I have weird RP issues with my character, and I can't change them with a simple trip to Enhance.
I have ending up restarting my game again after 10 hours of just going through the main story.

My goal originally was to rush through to get to NG+ which literally involved me not exploring the buildings,caves etc... or going through dialogue options.
I believed that in NG+ i could then do side quests and the main campaign with all the extras that get added and things that I missed, but apparently you are supposed to skip the main quest (using an option) in order to see new things, so that ended up defeated my purpose of getting to that mode.

So I decided to restart choose better perks and play at my usual pace and do side quests etc.... also helps that I will be able to see what is different.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I've been struggling with which companion to romance: Sam Coe, or Barrett.

Sam is hotter and dresses better, but he has a daughter and a lot baggage -- he complains about his father, his legacy, his ex-wife, and constantly talks about his kid... And the kid is annoying, IMO.

On the other hand, Barrett has major dad vibes, and his whole backstory so far seems to revolve around his dead husband. He does have some funny lines, and very funny interactions with random NPCs though.

I'd been flirting with them both, just to see how they react.

!!!MAJOR MAIN QUEST SPOILERS WITH PERMANENT CONSEQUENCES!!!
So this game has at least one major, permanent, significant choice. A main story quest makes you choose whether to defend the Lodge, or the Eye. You can tell it's serious, because you get a warning from the members of Constellation that they don't know what will happen if you leave the Lodge to go to the Eye.

I chose to defend the Lodge, as it just made the most sense to me, story-wise. I was already there, the Artifact was there, all the non-combatants were there, and the enemy told me they were coming to get us. After escaping with everyone, we go to the Eye, everyone is wounded, and Sam is dead, and Cora hates me.

I've read conflicting reports that say the person who dies on the Eye is whichever Companion has the highest affection with you, but other places say it is always Sam. Sarah always dies if you choose the Eye, because the story forces you to take her with you on the mission that initiates this series of events so she is always the only Companion in the Lodge.

Anyway, long story short, at least now I know who I will be romancing... Because the other bachelor is dead.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Its mindblowing just how many quests there are in this game. Its so much it feels really overwhelming. Much much bigger than Skyrim wtf. It feels neverending. You do 3 quests and 6 more pop up. And some of these just pop up from time to time without remembering how you got them. Some distress signal or something you over heard while walking around. And these lead to other quests. The amount of cities and mini cities/hubs...and most of the stuff I came across so far is really well thought. I haven't visited some of the main big cities from the Direct either and already feel like I've played an entire Fallout 4's worth questing.

And some of these sidequests are pretty good too. I'm currently doing the Paradiso one and I haven't finished it up yet but that entire dilemma is really fucked up. I actually feel bad for one of the parties and having to deal with the board members with their stupid resort.

Also I found some more interesting spaceships to buy. This one is called Silent Runner you can buy at Hopetech for almost 300k credits. It has 6000 cargo capacity :cat-pizza-blob:. It seems to be a class C ship tho so you have to put skill points to fly it. You have to buy the ship inside the Hope tech facility tho with a different merchant than the landing pad one who sells different ships.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I seem to be developing a habit of pirating Pirate ships... yay
I'm now rolling around in an Ecliptic Bayonet or something like that. Really nice ship aside from the big pile of bodies at the bottom of the ladder.
Big shotty helped take care of them as they climbed down the ladder to get me.

I'm now running a beta version of MO2 with a dll fix to stop it messing up my Starfield Custom ini and i have the FSR2 Bridge running DLSS 3.5.0 and some audio tweaks and interface tweaks. Nothing big but it's good to be back in MO2 with my Starfield install being clean aside from SFSE.

Also, found this handy Registry edit i'll be looking at in a while. I've got the SFSE and FSR2 DLSS Bridge working in MO2 2.5.0 beta without errors but this will come in handy to see what DLSS is actually doing.

Probably useful for other games too.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: inky and Cacher

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sigh, second crash while messing around before even getting to the pirate outpost this time, just the planet, while backpedaling testing the stealth/detect ranges of an enemy. GPU/CPU weren't overworked or anything during that point either. Maybe I'll wait for some patches, new drivers, something.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
That sucks to hear.
I've got 27 hours, with 10 of them being modded and no crashes. I've been alt-tabbing like a maniac too and i'm running old-ass nvidia drivers.
I am wondering if there's a Day 1 patch expected tomorrow or whenever it releases fully.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I would say think of it like Mass Effect but with the Bethesda touch. It's also a slow burn and different enough from Fallout and Skyrim that i wouldn't say if you like them you'll like this. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I can see the main story quest being fairly linear but so have most of their other games if you ignore the secondary quest like the stupid Civil War in Skyrim which i don't think i have ever completed in the 10 years i've owned the game lol. Planets are where the radiant type quests live along with various job boards. there's a bunch of side factions i've barely interacted with yet and it's systems are quite confusing until you play around with them and they click in your head. Which is usual for games like this.

I can see the issues some people have with it but they're not killing points for me. I've had no crashes, however as usual with games like this sometimes the conversation camera is a bit off, i have had some NPC pathing issues and the most common is when your companion seems to flicker between two spots but a save/reload usually fixes that.

There may be some Day 1 patches too, probably but yeah, Mass Effect with a Bethesda flavour is definitely how i'd describe it. All the Bethesda systems are there but not in the same template as Skyrim and Fallout so expect to do some relearning of things.

Have fun!

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Redesigned my character a bit to look more like reference - OG face I rolled looked a bit too... Uh... Michael Jackson-y? And also about 10-20 years older than intended.

Need a fur-jacket mod tho.

Anyway, solid inventory UI mod is already out - Hopefully some more comprehensive UI mods for the rest soonish. StarUI Inventory

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t know about the game, I find it often mediocre, sometimes engrossing. But I’m seriously afraid to drop it because of the m/kb UX alone. Building a ship or even a camp is pure hell.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I don’t know about the game, I find it often mediocre, sometimes engrossing. But I’m seriously afraid to drop it because of the m/kb UX alone. Building a ship or even a camp is pure hell.
Lol, example, and that's just the hotkeys needed, not placement (though to be fair it seems relatively lenient).

Build a camp or a camp element ?
Press 'F'
Then press 'R'
And probably press 'Tab'

It's completely bonkers.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Cool, i just noticed that there's a BethIni that supports Starfield up in beta/test release.
This is very handy for Fallout and Skyrim so hopefully the full starfield release is optimised zoon.

Basically it allows you to set sensible defaults for various quality settings and also to edit the values if you want.
Really handy for resetting your ini files but it will take a while for the community and devs to find the right settings.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Inventory management is starting to become too much for me.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I’ve decided to give this another go.

I think focussing less on stealth has helped. The level design doesn’t really lend itself to a proper stealth build.

This ain’t no Cyberpunk.

But I’m enjoying it a bit more in this reroll.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I started Starfield and suddenly four hours have passed. What.

Many people are saying the opening hours are too slow. Yeah I am not sure about that. Exploring the biowarfare facility on Kreet was really fun and it feels so Bethesda. I feel at home.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Many people are saying the opening hours are too slow. Yeah I am not sure about that. Exploring the biowarfare facility on Kreet was really fun and it feels so Bethesda. I feel at home.
Wait for New Atlantis :sweaty-blob:
Though yeah, I still don’t see what the game is doing so well, but when it’s good, it’s good.

I played through a random side quest today, multiple space battles and an orbital station, good times were had. But I really need to upgrade my ship offensive capabilities and cargo.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher and inky

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I'm 50 hours in, so I have had time to think about the start of the game new people are experiencing. The opening is weird, and in this day and age, you only have so much time to make an impression.

You get the mine prologue which is fine for some flavour, create a character, then have a pretty underwhelming out of the vault moment when there are infinitely better moons to have that in the game. Then you get into a fight. Get a ship, fight in space again, then land on another (pretty similar) moon, then have another fight in a mission that really feels just like a bad sidequest with some tutorials, then finally the game opens up a little but it's nudging you to get to the city asap so you might not even do that, then you finally get to Atlantis, which is a Citadel moment or should be, and you can have a million distractions (which I'm sure is the point, but doesn't make sense mechanically because Vasco is with you, and nothing else in the game has opened up) until you finally make it to the Lodge, and then finally the real Dark Souls begins. This point could be just an hour in, or it could be 6-8 hours in, and people can get frustrated because they are doing all these things without the tools they need or the larger context of why.

If the previous paragraph was tedious to read, that's because it was a bit tedious to do. It feels modeled after something like Fallout 4's start from vault to the museum to Diamond City jumbled up a bit, but it doesn't work because it's not a continuous space. They should've realized that. Either they let you loose right away, or they take you there in a snap with a bit more flair.

At this point in the intro, I'm still soaking in the game, trying to not miss details but a lot of people just want to get to the good bits and let loose and thus, they get easily frustrated. The opening could've been condensed into a single fight, a better reason to get a ship to your name. Maybe some Constellation member dies and you inherit their mission, or maybe it's not even Constellation's ship but a salvage or even the Pirate Captain's ship and you're compelled to find out what the artifact is (you can always get the Frontier later on). Anything, but a "here, take the keys, you're the captain now while I stay here doing nothing". Sometimes I can't understand what's going on with the writing room at Bethesda. Maybe there are not enough people challenging these things and it's just the vision of 1 or 2 people, or maybe it's the opposite and it's just the compromise of a dozen different opinions.

I love most everything else that the game is doing. I even love how it's paced from then on, but you lose a lot of people here. Even when they make good decisions, like making your skill choices more meaningful, they work against them with their structure. A couple missions into the main quest, you get your first Boost Pack. Now, you maybe already have one, or not, but either way it should feel exciting and rewarding (have a mission that needs it around the city or something) to compel people to understand why the investment to getting it going is worth it. But they don't want to make it mandatory either. It's a tough choice, I get it, but if it's fun show people why and then let them make up their mind.

I'm loving the game, and it frustrates me that some decisions like these might turn people away. It gets much better tho, I hope people who are not feeling it know that we've been there, and if you see a glimmer and stick with it, it pays off.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I’ve decided to give this another go.

I think focussing less on stealth has helped. The level design doesn’t really lend itself to a proper stealth build.

This ain’t no Cyberpunk.

But I’m enjoying it a bit more in this reroll.
Lol yeah. I’m not a heavy stealth player but it’s a system I don’t really get. Like, I’m not even halfway through the first trial of the skill. Enemies detect you really easily.

Reactions: Cacher and C-Dub

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Stealth is shortchanged here a bit. You probably need the full skill, a good stock of consumable items that mask your footsteps and some items with chameleon or similar effects just to make it feel equivalent to the first rank of sneak in Skyrim or Fallout, which you can get pretty much 5 minutes into either of those games.

I love that you really need to specialize. But having to do all the prep-work for half a dozen hours in content that isn't suited for it can be frustrating AF. I reckon that's why they point you to Neon so late in the game too.

• This!
Reactions: C-Dub

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Yes, the start of this game is super weird. I've been playing all day, just got to the Sol system now, and I've really been having fun. Speaking of the boost pack, I completely and utterly forgot I was awarded this thing at the Lodge. The banner came up, but there was no tutorial or even mention of it anywhere again, and I totally forgot it was a thing. I can't remember the last time I played a game that just dumps you in without explaining basic systems. Yeah, handholding RPGs are lame, but this game has swung a bit too far in the other direction. Not a huge deal in the age of internet tutorials, but still. The amount of sidequests and systems is also hugely overwhelming. These aren't complaints, just observations. It's obvious that this is a long-haul game, and that's a fine thing.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I'm 50 hours in, so I have had time to think about the start of the game new people are experiencing. The opening is weird, and in this day and age, you only have so much time to make an impression.

You get the mine prologue which is fine for some flavour, create a character, then have a pretty underwhelming out of the vault moment when there are infinitely better moons to have that in the game. Then you get into a fight. Get a ship, fight in space again, then land on another (pretty similar) moon, then have another fight in a mission that really feels just like a bad sidequest with some tutorials, then finally the game opens up a little but it's nudging you to get to the city asap so you might not even do that, then you finally get to Atlantis, which is a Citadel moment or should be, and you can have a million distractions (which I'm sure is the point, but doesn't make sense mechanically because Vasco is with you, and nothing else in the game has opened up) until you finally make it to the Lodge, and then finally the real Dark Souls begins. This point could be just an hour in, or it could be 6-8 hours in, and people can get frustrated because they are doing all these things without the tools they need or the larger context of why.

If the previous paragraph was tedious to read, that's because it was a bit tedious to do. It feels modeled after something like Fallout 4's start from vault to the museum to Diamond City jumbled up a bit, but it doesn't work because it's not a continuous space. They should've realized that. Either they let you loose right away, or they take you there in a snap with a bit more flair.

At this point in the intro, I'm still soaking in the game, trying to not miss details but a lot of people just want to get to the good bits and let loose and thus, they get easily frustrated. The opening could've been condensed into a single fight, a better reason to get a ship to your name. Maybe some Constellation member dies and you inherit their mission, or maybe it's not even Constellation's ship but a salvage or even the Pirate Captain's ship and you're compelled to find out what the artifact is (you can always get the Frontier later on). Anything, but a "here, take the keys, you're the captain now while I stay here doing nothing". Sometimes I can't understand what's going on with the writing room at Bethesda. Maybe there are not enough people challenging these things and it's just the vision of 1 or 2 people, or maybe it's the opposite and it's just the compromise of a dozen different opinions.

I love most everything else that the game is doing. I even love how it's paced from then on, but you lose a lot of people here. Even when they make good decisions, like making your skill choices more meaningful, they work against them with their structure. A couple missions into the main quest, you get your first Boost Pack. Now, you maybe already have one, or not, but either way it should feel exciting and rewarding (have a mission that needs it around the city or something) to compel people to understand why the investment to getting it going is worth it. But they don't want to make it mandatory either. It's a tough choice, I get it, but if it's fun show people why and then let them make up their mind.

I'm loving the game, and it frustrates me that some decisions like these might turn people away. It gets much better tho, I hope people who are not feeling it know that we've been there, and if you see a glimmer and stick with it, it pays off.
Great post. I wasn't thinking like a new player and now I am seeing how the opening can drive people away.

I did say out "what" when Barrett just gave the ship to the player. That is totally logical.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Walked around New Atlantis. This city is huge... Boost pack is a great addition to exploration. I just jumped down from the commercial district back to the shipyard.

Also I should share the settings of my character which I wrote during character creation:
  • Parents killed during a conflict
  • Sold to a trader by the orphanage after spending five years there. Left by said trader on a planet to die when they flee from hostile alien creatures
  • Found an abandoned bunker for shelter and learnt to survive by reading a manual inside. Hunt aliens for food
  • After 3 years, now 21, a group of mercenary anchored on the planet. Joined the mercenary to get off the planet and thus trained to kill
  • Squad got wiped during a job. Being the only survivor there is a bounty on the head. No choice but to stay low and now get a job from Argos

• Master in survival, combat and hunting, both creatures and man
  • Never truly trusted anyone other than himself
  • Own survival outweighs others
  • No fear in death
  • Believe in a bullet or a bite from aliens more than money
  • Seeing the Constellation as a good pass time. Honestly, there is nothing better to do.

Background: Beast Hunter
Traits: Taskmaster, Terra Firma, Wanted

I am going to stick with these settings and go full role-playing. Not going to do any side quests without a good reason.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Aside from the narrative ridiculousness of Barrett just handing over his ship and deciding to stay back in the mines, I have no issue with the start of the game. It's actually interesting how people have conflicting complaints about the start.

On the one hand some people say it is too slow and boring. The reality is that everything before New Atlantis is just the tutorial. They teach you ground combat, space combat, how to fly your ship and jump around to planets and they throw in a little bit of the exploration that you will have to do for the entirety of the game. At most they could have cut out the pirate base and sent you directly to New Atlantis to make the experience a little 'tighter'. I don't know how much even that would have helped because this is not a 12 hour game where the first 2 hours being 'slow' is a problem. This is a 100 hour game where you will need to absorb and learn a lot of game systems as you play through it. Judging the game when you've had 2% of the experience does not seem prudent.

But then the other hand, people say that a lot of those game systems are not explained properly. I sort of agree with this but only for much later on in the game. Yesterday I got the achievement to successfully smuggle contraband onto a planet. Steam stats show that only 4.3% of people have that achievement. This is probably because they don't teach you how to deal with contraband early on and I expect most people will come across contraband loot in the game long before they learn what to do with it. The same goes for other game systems like ship building, outposts and research which become available to you without comprehensive tutorials. But these are all game mechanics that are only meaningful later on. In theory you can land on New Atlantis and go directly to the ship builder but what exactly are you going to do with that when all you have in your pockets are two notepads and a packet of orange juice? The thing about a free-form game like this is that you can play and encounter various game systems and mechanics in any order and there's almost no way to teach you everything without forcing you into a long, linear tutorial which, as we've seen, also seems to present it's own problems.

Anyway if the narrative around this game is that it has a slow start but you need to keep playing for it to get good, then so be it. Whatever it takes to get people to continue with it. There are so many exceptional moments to be had as you continue on your journey. Yesterday I finally did the first Vanguard mission and that whole thing is set up like... don't want to spoil it but you will immediately see what they were trying to accomplish and how well they did it. Then when I was flying back from that mission I got into a dogfight with a bandit in space and just as I'm about to destroy it you hear the enemy comms where they recognize the ship I'm flying, realize it's provenance (this is a spoiler so I'm being vague) and they deliberately jump away. It was an incredibly cool moment and you would totally miss it without paying attention to a lot of things that happened in the game upto that point. [For those who want to know the spoiler]
Some enemies will flee in fear when they see the Razorleaf ship because they think the Mantis is flying it and she has a brutal/ruthless reputation. You will only learn about this reputation if you're paying attention to the story during the Mantis mission and of course if you actually pay attention to what you're looting to start that mission in the first place. Enemies fleeing when seeing her ship is such a tiny detail but it's so cool that they thought of it anyway.

I know there are people who think it's beneath them to play a BGS game and will point to so many reasons why this game is bad but there is nobody out there making games like this. You'd think the industry would have tried to emulate the bonkers success that Skyrim had but instead they went and copied the Ubisoft open world icon vomit collectathon formula because that is just easier to accomplish than the kind of open worlds that BGS makes. Not saying that this game is perfect by any means. There are things that I wish it did better. I've been storing all my resources in the Lodge bedroom safe because where else can you keep that stuff? Just getting all that stuff there from the ship is a pain, and I cannot describe how ridiculous it feels to have to pick up all that stuff and then walk down to the basement while hopelessly encumbered to do any crafting/research. They could have just let you access the bedroom storage directly from the basement or put a storage stash in the basement itself.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations on which research related skills are most valuable to invest in upfront? I've done all the basic research and now I need to spend points which are pretty scarce right now. So I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which research is the best to start with. A friend told me his coworker managed to get to level 100 by heading East on the starmap because apparently all the high level planets are in that direction. He went there and just killed high level animals to grind up his level. That sounds ridiculous to me but also slightly tempting because I need points way faster than I'm getting them lol.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The attention to detail and AI in this game is really special.

I finally decided to build an outpost on one of the Jupiter moons. And I land on it and built the outpost a couple hundred meters away from my ship.

After I finished building it up I went into my crew menu and assigned a couple of people to the outpost. And then as I am standing there I see Heller and Lin get off my ship and walk a couple hundred meters to the outpost were they are now assigned. Knowing its not just names in some menu but actual NPCs in the game world walking to their new assignment brings a smile to your face. It actually made me want to build them some beds and couches in the facility lol. Those little things are amazing.

Also I am now pumping a lot of iron with my new outpost via containers links and extractors + I got a mission to deliver 2000 iron to some place. I don't know how much it pays but it better be worth it to haul so much over to some place. It did feel like trial run mission I got on some giant corporation ship but at the very least it better open up some new missions once I complete it.

Also curious how you can not only build a landing pad on your outpost but a landing pad with a ship modify/merchant or wtvr. So I wonder if you can actually store contraband on your outpost and not have to register stolen ships if you have your own landing pad.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations on which research related skills are most valuable to invest in upfront? I've done all the basic research and now I need to spend points which are pretty scarce right now. So I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which research is the best to start with. A friend told me his coworker managed to get to level 100 by heading East on the starmap because apparently all the high level planets are in that direction. He went there and just killed high level animals to grind up his level. That sounds ridiculous to me but also slightly tempting because I need points way faster than I'm getting them lol.
I think that grinding levels on random high level content only might be a good way to burn yourself out. You're not even doing ancilliary conent like mission board objectives or activities that way. I guess people who rush NG+ do it to start the game with so many more skills unlocked, but sounds a bit pointless to me. But, there are tons of people that prioritize the shooter component of this shooter RPG, playing it straight up like you would Borderlands or Destiny, so what do I know.

In any case, research depends on your goals. I guess cooking and pharma are mostly for combat buffs and HP for fights. I liked modifying guns on Fallout, and because I really haven't found any good legendary weapons (seriously, all I find are legendary suits, I have like 10 orange helmets alone) I think it's a good research to spend points into. There are also tiered guns, so it's easy to jump from one to another, put some QoL sights or damage mods into it, and change it up unless you find your forever gun with all the rare perks you need.

Suit mods are mostly for damage resistance which are interesting for visiting more hostile environments and survival, but helmet and boost pack mods are kind of like endgame Power Armor in Fallout, and allow you to just fly for extended periods of time. I went back to Mars yesterday, and with a couple Boost Pack upgrades, I travelled probably 1.5kms in a straight line never touching the ground.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I think that grinding levels on random high level content only might be a good way to burn yourself out. You're not even doing ancilliary conent like mission board objectives or activities that way. I guess people who rush NG+ do it to start the game with so many more skills unlocked, but sounds a bit pointless to me. But, there are tons of people that prioritize the shooter component of this shooter RPG, playing it straight up like you would Borderlands or Destiny, so what do I know.

In any case, research depends on your goals. I guess cooking and pharma are mostly for combat buffs and HP for fights. I liked modifying guns on Fallout, and because I really haven't found any good legendary weapons (seriously, all I find are legendary suits, I have like 10 orange helmets alone) I think it's a good research to spend points into. There are also tiered guns, so it's easy to jump from one to another, put some QoL sights or damage mods into it, and change it up unless you find your forever gun with all the rare perks you need.

Suit mods are mostly for damage resistance which are interesting for visiting more hostile environments and survival, but helmet and boost pack mods are kind of like endgame Power Armor in Fallout, and allow you to just fly for extended periods of time. I went back to Mars yesterday, and with a couple Boost Pack upgrades, I travelled probably 1.5kms in a straight line never touching the ground.
Yeah wasn't seriously considering going out to grind levels against high level fauna. Just a bit frustrated that I'm not leveling up as fast as I want to because I want so many skills :p . I wonder if I've made a mistake by picking a few skills and leveling them up instead of putting a point into several skills and getting more benefits overall.

As for research points, I think I'll maybe go with the spacesuit upgrades first and then maybe gastronomy next. I feel like pharmaceuticals are mostly useful at higher difficulties where they can change the balance of combat but I'm just playing at normal difficulty and haven't had much trouble yet. There's no shortage of good enough weapons so far so I'm not too keen on the weapon upgrades, especially you since you need several upgrades to really unlock them all. Space suits on the other hand are not that common (at high rarity anyway) so modifying the one really good space suit I have now seems worthwhile. I sort of wish cooking ingredients had their own subsection in the inventory menu because they get lumped up with aid items (because they technically are aid items) and then you can't keep them separated like other resources when you want to do cooking.

If you have the chance make sure to visit Titan and take talk to the tourist guide.
One of my goals is to go back to the Sol system and explore it properly. The main quest that sends you there basically gets you to jump to like 4 different places and then sends you back off. Didn't take the time to explore the place properly.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I finally upgraded a ship in a way where I can have all the crafting stations.

The Kid Stuff trIt keeps delivering lmao, so far:
  • Got a pistol
  • Got a space suit and a helmet, evn though it's a normal item the status seems good
  • GOT A NEW SHIP
While traveling to do a story mission I got one of those messages asking for help, initially I thought it was just some minor thing but turned into a quest with unique characters.

Going back to the main mission I found Andreja and did the mission to rescue Barret, it was simple but fun and so far he is a character that grew on me.

It was also nice finding Lin and Heller[ fromthe first mission/ISPOILER] and being able to recruit them to your crew.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Over 15 hours now and I am still scratching the surface. There are so many things to do in this game.

I went back to Kreet after joining Constellation and found a Regulator pistol with 110 dmg in a relay station crawling with pirates. It is not even a Legendary but one-shots everything. After a few mods I managed to bring it to over 140 lol. I also have a few pistols in my arsenal. Really enjoy using pistol in Starfield. All of them look and sound great in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: inky
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
If you're looking for a place to sell contraband without getting scanned and arrested, go to the Wolf system. It is really close to the starting area, so you don't even have to make multiple jumps.

Reactions: inky

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
If you're looking for a place to sell contraband without getting scanned and arrested, go to the Wolf system. It is really close to the starting area, so you don't even have to make multiple jumps.
There's a quest in the weapons shop in The Den in New Atlantis that sends you there if you've not naturally gone there yourself. You pick it up by listening to a conversation between a customer and the shopkeeper. It's kind of amusing and it has multiple conclusions and I'm hoping that there will be some reference to your choice later on in the game.

Reactions: Dandy and inky

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
There's a quest in the weapons shop in The Den in New Atlantis that sends you there if you've not naturally gone there yourself. You pick it up by listening to a conversation between a customer and the shopkeeper. It's kind of amusing and it has multiple conclusions and I'm hoping that there will be some reference to your choice later on in the game.
One of the main faction quests also sends you there. Not very early, but early enough.

Been playing every day since early access. Every day I find something new that impresses me.

People have mentioned it here and there, but really there is something that doesn't quite get the commentary it deserves and that is the variety of accents in the game. Their previous games you always run into this spot where you start hearing repeated voices, and it comes with the territory I guess... or so I thought. They really outdid themselves and 99% of the games out there. Every continent and probably a couple dozen régions are represented and spread out over the universe in surprising ways.

People rightfully complain about lack of diversity in games, but this game normalized such a wide variety of peoples that I feel everyone is just taking it for granted.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So I found some contraband while doing a bounty. The contraband was mechparts valued at a lot of credits. But anyways I dropped it off at my outpost container because I didn't want any planet authority scanning it on my ship.

My Iron outpost on IO was always peaceful and quiet...but after dropping off the contraband I come back to my outpost a little later and while sitting at my ship cockpit I see from a distance so many laser bullets and explosions going off at my outpost. I run up there and see like 10 pirates attacking my outpost and Lin/Heller defending it :ROFLMAO: So yea storing contraband on an outpost is a sure way to attract Pirates. I built turrets for defense but interesting enough the dead bodies of the pirates never go away. So bodies don't disappear in the game?? lol. I guess you have to drag them off somewhere.

Also nearing 45hrs in the game now and Cydonia has been my favorite place so far. I still haven't visited many other cities but on Cydonia the quests/NPCs just seem realistic/genuine. The quests have been pretty good too. That one worker quest chain was really dumb and I swear its something straight out of some movie I seen before. Really love the whole miner/residential vibe of the place. There is a lot of quests that kind of intersect with Mars so far. You get sent there for factions quests and people on Cydonia will send you to many other planets/cities that introduce you to a lot of cool parts of the game. It really vibes well with your quest log imo. Also the Denis guy on Mars sends you to a bunch of high level systems to recover goods from pirates etc. But they are some real tough missions with lots of good loot to be had so if you want some good weapons/gear early on with a tough challenge you should talk to him in Cydonia.

Also some advice for people building outposts early in the game. You need to put a lot of skill points to build outposts on extreme weather planets but early on I found some close by moons with good weather you can do without wasting skill points. If you want Iron then use the Jupiter moon IO. And the Jemison moon is good for Aluminum. And another moon Lovell (i think its called) in the same system as Jemison will let you do a Nickel outpost.

So far I found Aluminum to be very important in building a lot of the structures for outpost. Its always the one I run out of in the building menu. So always mine Aluminum any chance you see it when roaming the game.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I am a bit worried as i stored my contraband in a storage locker next to my outpost beacon as i didn't have enough mats to build anything else as i'd just sold them all. Not that they'll destroy much but it's about 50k in contraband.

Bodies do go away but it seems to take a while. I stole a Pirate Ship early on when i went to a landing site and they attacked me, i ended up making it my home ship and there were bodies at the bottom of the stairwell for AGES but now they've gone.

I cleared a pirate base for a settler, ran around the planet a bit and found another mining site where they asked me to clear out a different pirate base for them. I did that and on my way back ended up fast travelling to the first base i cleared and a few bodies launched to the horizon, lol

I've also seen spaceships i'd destroyed on a previous run respawn when i entered the system, they smashed together and the physics threw them spinning everywhere. I couldn't reboard them unfortunately.

Alternative MILF Hat ( Man, I Love Fauna )

Reactions: xinek
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I've been puttering along on the faction side quests. So far I've done the UC SysDef undercover one(really fun), and the Freestar Rangers one(decent - with an amazing final reward). Next I guess I'll do the UC Vanguard line, even though it makes no sense that they would recruit a Ranger! I've also finished 1 Companion questline(Barrett), and it was pretty meh.

Reactions: Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I keep getting sidetracked on planets, i'm off to perform a story rescue now and i've got good kit at least.
When i work out what weapons i really like i'll have more space in my inventory for things but at the moment all i take are weapons, plushies, ammo, plushies, meds, plushies, and any decent suits, packs or helms i find... and plushies.