|OT| Steam regional pricing is getting worse over time

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Posted a forum post for Iron Harvest. Deep Silver hiked it's pricing in several regions. (It is awaiting moderator approval, so if it gets removed, you know how shitty these people are)

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Steam prices are ALWAYS deliberate, never an "error".
of course it is .... volvo's recommended pricing is actually good ... so anything that deviates from that is actually the publisher's (devs') doing ... what a load of shit

Reactions: MegaApple

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
[UWSL]I've also made a thread on Persona 4.[/UWSL]
PLEASE share your thoughts here
SEGA usually has absolute dogshit regional pricing in Canada but Persona 4’s pricing is actually decent here. Very unusual.

I still don’t understand why Yakuza 0/Kiwami are $30CAD when every other SEGA $20USD release is $22-25 though. Makes no sense.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
For me, Blaster Master is still cheaper than Azure Strike, but only for a dollar or two. Great regional pricing though.

Reactions: lashman

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
now if only naming and shaming publishers worked.
yeah, unfortunately no one seems to care all that much ... not the publishers (obviously), not the press, not even the majority of the English-speaking internet (and since they don't care then the press doesn't have a reason to care either, because no one would click on those articles)

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
We shall see. Before, the journalists can only find the info from people's reports in certain games' Steam forums if they have bad pricing. But now, all the info is available in Steamdb.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
For years I thought 1999 rub was the standard price for a aaa game in Russia, apparently it's 1085 and MS is one of the few who follows that with the exception of Flight Sim.

Anyhow, the Valve suggested pricing shows how both devs and pubs are ripping people apart from pretty much all regions.

Is there any ways to push devs and pubs to fix their pricing in the different regions?

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018
Is there any ways to push devs and pubs to fix their pricing in the different regions?
There are several, but all will fail until people actually know about this. People have been under the dark (like you) and publishers happily took advantage of that.

First and foremost, share this info to as many people in your community (and other non-US communities) as much as possible.

:steam_gp_flag:

MegaApple

Sep 20, 2018

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
In chile almost they doubled the price, from 18500 to 31900.

Why they think people around the world have the same income that US :(!

Last edited:

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
My favorite thing is when people from USD/Euro countries convert their price of a game to currency that has bad regional pricing, see that the price somewhat matches and go "Seems ok to me, what's the problem?". The problem is obviously that my paycheck isn't average USD/European paycheck converted to my currency in the same way, duh. But generally, my biggest problem with regional pricing is selectiveness. If a game has the same price in every currency (simply converted), then it's shit, but fair. But if you sell the game for 25% of the US price in one region (like Russia), while fucking me over with higher than USD price at the same time (despite my country being much poorer than the US), then fuck you.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
SILENT PRICE HIKE
Bloober Team increased the regional pricing for The Medium, more than DOUBLE in many regions.
Source : https://steamdb.info/sub/481220/
Dear Players!

In some countries, The Medium was mistakenly priced with a huge discount. When it was brought to our attention, we researched the issue and made necessary corrections, which sometimes resulted in a price increase. We did consider specifics of each market, though, so regional prices are still often lower when compared to the base USD price. If you pre-ordered the game at the old price, you won't have to make any additional payments - your pre-order is still valid and the price change doesn't apply to past transactions. We consider the current prices as final and plan no further changes.

told you it wasn't a mistake ...

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
If the price is too high for someone, they'll just wait for sale (delaying your income and netting you the the same or even less money that the low regional price) or pirate. I don't get why devs and publishers don't get that. You can cite any reasons you want, but it won't suddenly make me pay more than I was willing to.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is there any site to check the price story on EGS? It's a bit pricier there than on Steam for my country currency, so I'm not sure if they were already asking for more there before changing the price on Steam.
don't think there is

but basically EGS just copied steam's default regional pricing (like they always do) .... and bloober were supposed to tell them to change the prices on egs as well (that was like 2 weeks ago) .... which clearly hasn't happened ... which means they're full of shit

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
don't think there is

but basically EGS just copied steam's default regional pricing (like they always do) .... and bloober were supposed to tell them to change the prices on egs as well (that was like 2 weeks ago) .... which clearly hasn't happened ... which means they're full of shit
lmao they failed then, though it's not much higher

• Toucan