Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ascheroth What about the last new series ? Muscle something ? How was it ?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
It may very well be for the best :thinking-blob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I don't have a legal way / can't afford to read something else.
I'm prisoner of shonen :sweaty-blob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I read the new Jump series. What I got out of it, first and foremost, is how fucking derivative they are. You can literally just lists the manga they borrowed from in real time. Originality wise, it was shit.

Muscle vs Magic #1 was bad. Really bad. I can grant it that it's the first issue and that it didn't have time to deploy its world. But then again, I'm left with very little desire to see the little I saw of it expanded upon. Nazi magical realm. Please Japan, GET A GRIP !

Guardian of the Witch #1 was all in all farrr better. But the setting is so derivative. A lot of Attack on Titans here, some Kimetsu no Yaiba there, etc. Well, I guess at the end of the day it still has a better potential.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
TIL that Flash Forward is by Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth.
Not sure how to process this information.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Oh, Apoz Volume 4 is out? I better pick it up soon.

I picked up a new series, "Okashiratsuki".

It's a seinen series about a young couple dealing with non-conformity and the modern society expectations out of family, love and other things. The story is heartwarming, but also can be soul-crushing in a way that is very relatable, especially if any of you have dealt with (or in the receiving end of) persecution or discrimination in real life.

Fair warning though, please exercise moderation when reading if you're currently experiencing emotional distress. The subject matter in this book can be rather heavy, at times.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, no, it's not an age-gap relationship.

Reactions: Tizoc

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Kvik But what it is then ? I’m super not ready to tackle the subject matter if it’s as you describe it, but I’m curious AF now.
Please spoiler it :grimacing-face:

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Oh, Apoz Volume 4 is out? I better pick it up soon.
Yep, came out in October here actually, but I only bought it now. Though it looks like the english one only came out like 2 weeks ago, huh.
Volume 5 coming in May here, and english one in June. Interesting.

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Kvik But what it is then ? I’m super not ready to tackle the subject matter if it’s as you describe it, but I’m curious AF now.
Please spoiler it :grimacing-face:
Utsuki, the man of said couple was born with a vestigial tail and faced prejudice from people who are afraid of it and wants nothing to do with it. While obviously in this day and age vestigial tail is trivial to surgically removed, it is meant to be an allegory of the unwillingness of society to accept non-conformity, such as different skin colour, interracial marriages in a certain part of the world, prejudice towards disabled people, and so on.

In the manga, Utsuki tried to hide his "condition" lest he is bullied, and when his secret was exposed, the school forced him to quit and he had to separate from his girl, Nachi. She's the only person who is willing to accept him as a person but due to how Utsuki has been treated poorly all his life (despite of his loving family), he is unwilling to accept himself, and not until Nachi had an accident he finally turned around.

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
So i see the recent martian manhunter maxi series finally finished
Looking forward to the tpb.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I just passed 5 minutes with my mind blown. Never heard about that condition. Still trying to find some legit webpage that can confirm or deny.
Man, was I not expecting that.

But yeah, it doesn't sound like a very happy read :anguished-face:

Edit - Found a legit page, not saying more because of spoilers.

MIND.BLOWN :dizzy-face:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
This reminds me that I'm still missing volume 5 & 6 from Sidonia :02dead:
I started collecting them when the series was already close to ending and those 2 in particular were not available anymore, but I figured I just gotta wait for a reprint.
Well, a reprint kind of happened but it's the Master Edition, which is way different. I guess I'll need to try my luck at some flea markets or something dammit.

That said I kinda do want the Master Edtitions, but they're really expensive - ~30€ a piece (which is 2 regular volumes though).
And they are pretty awesome, I have the ones for Blame. 😅

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just finished reading Quintuplets (I read like half of it a while ago and waited until it ended to binge the rest).

It was actually really good for a good chunk but the ending was extremely underwhelming. Eh. A shame.
The art was fantastic throughout though.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I just learned that there is a Biomega Luxury Edittion which contains all 6 volums in a single hardcover book - a whopping 1228 pages, with 28 of them colored. :sweaty-blob:
Ordered it immediately, thankfully I was able to find a shop that still had it, it looks to mostly sold out already.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Super unexpected. Interesting.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Posted this in the Anime Thread as i'd forgotten about this one, oops. thanks to Hektor for the link to here!

I saw this Chrome Extension in my GHacks news this morning and thought of you wonderful people. No idea if it's any good as i haven't tried it.

Anity - Manga Translation Chrome Extension:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ascheroth and Tizoc

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I'm in a Webtoon mood atm, so I'm looking through completed ones and giving those that look interesting a read.

Recently finished Witch Hunt which was a pretty thrilling contempory fantasy action story (plenty of tragedy too) that had a nice and short 88 chapters. Recommended!

Started reading Nano List today. Not really sure what it's going to be, but the first 2 chapters have been greatly intriguing. (It has around 150 chaps total)
The description is literally just
A deadly android was delivered to me on my birthday!
Lol

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Souboutei Must Be Destroyed is so freaking good, it's insane.
I have no idea how Fujita seems to get even better with every work, but the madman does it regardless!
I still have 4 volumes to read before I'm caught up, but GOD DAMN it's so impressive.
I can see this becoming one of my all time faves.

Reactions: Tizoc

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've finished reading Nano List and damn that an amazing ride.
It's a rom-com sci-fi action thriller. It will be funny and it will fuck you up. I've binged the entire thing in just a couple days.

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018

Yeah I know this is Marvel doing 'how do you do fellow kids' in comic book form. But I'm guessing that Marvel created this team specifically so reactionary youtubers can trip over themselves churning out videos for free marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if initial sales are through the roof.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ooof that'd be gross.

Here's a tweet for a fanmade redesign of the siblings and man it looks way better, also Bulwark is kinda neat superhero name :p

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Interesting bundle but i am not much of an Hickman fan outside of his marvel work @_@

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm still months behind, Cyclop just came back, House of X when :confounded-face:
I really, for my sanity, should prune my reading list. But it's not easy, with a ~1 year backlist, every fucking series add 12-24 issues to it.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Worried about the industry as a whole.

Specifically, local shops and non DC/Marvel labels.

I'm halfway through DayTripper which I had put off reading for a bit but god damn it is awesome.

Will Fantagraphics even be a fucking thing in two months? Fuck me :( , covid 19 coming for EVERYTHING.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, this is clearly a crisis that could change the shape of the industry for the worse.
Not sure about publishers, but the shops are evidently in a terrible danger.

Do we have word on further solicitations after the current one or does the Diamond shut down effectively means no more new issues for the foreseeable future ?

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Yeah, this is clearly a crisis that could change the shape of the industry for the worse.
Not sure about publishers, but the shops are evidently in a terrible danger.

Do we have word on further solicitations after the current one or does the Diamond shut down effectively means no more new issues for the foreseeable future ?
I'm not sure, I think it goes publisher by publisher if they want to release a digital only edition of their books. From what I've heard, the major ones would rather the artists put down the pens and pen pads and stop everything than try to run an end round around Diamond. :(

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hey, there is a new JUMP series ! Yeah ! It's called Moriking and I read it because I'm naive ! And it's shit ! Yeah !
Will I ever learn that Jump only publish turds after turds these day ?

The only thing of note is that apparently one of the only running gags is the high school girl wondering if she will lose her virginity to the main protag (who is a man/insect hybrid build like a horse !

Japan pls, I'm super not judgemental or prude, but you need help, Japan :blobweary:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Hey, there is a new JUMP series ! Yeah ! It's called Moriking and I read it because I'm naive ! And it's shit ! Yeah !
Will I ever learn that Jump only publish turds after turds these day ?
You should give Chainsaw Man a try I wasn't too hot on it in the beginning (mainly because the MCs entire motivation was wanting to touch boobs, which thankfully doesn't last too long), but it gets fucking wild.
Last few chapters have been insane, it's probably what I'm looking forward to read the most right now.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
You should give Chainsaw Man a try I wasn't too hot on it in the beginning (mainly because the MCs entire motivation was wanting to touch boobs, which thankfully doesn't last too long), but it gets fucking wild.
Last few chapters have been insane, it's probably what I'm looking forward to read the most right now.
Yeah I read the first 10+ chapters and it's pretty good. Only thing that made me stop is that I just want to read to many things and end up reading nothing (as a manner of speaking).
First few eps were meh but it keeps getting better. I also like that the horror, while light, is a little gritty like in Jujutsu Kaisen.

I really should buy an Apple gift card and renew my jump sub, if only to continue on the first 100+ eps of One Piece I read. But I'm catching up on my comics lost year. I already know how it will end... (see above :cryblob: )
And there is the matter of the 5th volume of Berserk I have to read before I forget where I'm at. I seem to recall people praising the Golden Age arc, but for now it's zzzzz.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I am behind on my supes, xmen, green lantern and hellboy catch up :v
Not too concerned tbh as ill get to read them when i get to them.

Deleted member 113

Sorry for the "off the wall" question, since the thread is mostly about US comics, or manga, so I'm not sure anyone here can help me with my question (maybe someone from Italy?), but is there any place selling digital copies of 60's/70's/80's fumetti (Italian comics)?
If they're translated to English, the better, but I can totally deal with the original Italian versions. :)

I mean, I'm looking for either more "mainstream" titles like Diabolik, Dylan Dog, and Martin Mystère, to old adventure titles like Tex Willer, Corto Maltese, Kriminal, and Lo Sconosciuto, or even "adult" titles like Valentina, Djustine, Sukia, Zora La Vampira, or Cimiteria.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Hmm, I'm not seeing anything on Comixology, but finding such older titles can be difficult legally. I've tried earching myself but to no avail. Will let you know if I find anything in the future though.

Deleted member 113

Hmm, I'm not seeing anything on Comixology, but finding such older titles can be difficult legally. I've tried earching myself but to no avail. Will let you know if I find anything in the future though.
Thank you, Tizoc. :highfiveblob:

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Sorry for the "off the wall" question, since the thread is mostly about US comics, or manga, so I'm not sure anyone here can help me with my question (maybe someone from Italy?), but is there any place selling digital copies of 60's/70's/80's fumetti (Italian comics)?
If they're translated to English, the better, but I can totally deal with the original Italian versions. :)

I mean, I'm looking for either more "mainstream" titles like Diabolik, Dylan Dog, and Martin Mystère, to old adventure titles like Tex Willer, Corto Maltese, Kriminal, and Lo Sconosciuto, or even "adult" titles like Valentina, Djustine, Sukia, Zora La Vampira, or Cimiteria.

It might be very hard indeed!
AFAIK Bonelli comics (Dylan Dog, Tex, Martin Mystère, etc.) aren't serially published digitally. You might have some luck with special releases but it's all very hit and miss.
I've seen some of them for Kindle on Amazon.it, but apparently they are not available for other countries (but I'm not a Kindle user, so this might very well be incorrect).
It's also rather hard to find them in other ways, apparently...

Corto Maltese and Valentina should be easier to find, but then again, I can only see them digital on Amazon.it.
I'd be very surprised if the other you've mentioned, especially 70s erotica comics: I've never heard of recent re-releases.

This said, it's awesome to see non-Italian people interested in Magnus!
My father was a big fan and I grew up with loads of his stuff! He's one of my favourite artist ever, and I won't ever forget his Tex volume. It took him 7 years to draw it, and it shows! I've never really cared for the story itself, but damn, that art was absolutely unbelievable!

I mean, look at this shit:

It's like RDR2 4K max details, but even more evocative! 😄

Reactions: Deleted member 113