Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Deleted member 113

Thank you for the info, Copons. :cat-heart-blob:
Sadly, those Amazon.it digital releases are only available in Italy. :cry:

I'll try to find a couple of physical compilations for the more well know stuff.
The more obscure stuff, it seems like it's a lost cause. :disappointed-face:

It sucks that a lot of old stuff isn't available digitally.
It's not exclusive to comics, I was mentioning this elsewhere in here recently, but many older films are completely unavailable in any shape and form (outside of maybe some out-of-print VHS tapes, or some crappy bootlegs), and are almost doomed to be "lost".
With the technology we have, and most people having internet in some form nowadays, I wish publishers would make as much stuff available as possible.
I mean, what's the point of sitting on properties, and content, instead of monetizing it?

When I was a kid, we actually had a lot of Italian comics here in Portugal.
And Tex Willer is popular enough to have Portuguese fan club, and recently a year or so ago, a few re-releases were launched, like:

I always loved the illustrations on Italian comics, and the ones on Italian movie posters (I'm particular found of Italian cinema, in particular genres like giallo, poliziotteschi, spaghetti westerns, ...). :)

My question earlier, including some of those adult comics, was because I recently picked up the following books with covers and illustrations from artists Emanuele Taglietti and Fernando Carcupino, and I would really to check some of these older comics.

Minor nudity warning:

Reactions: Li Kao and Copons

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Finished DayTripper

Amazon product
A beautiful book. Reads like a bit like a slice of life anthology film but instead of multiple characters its just one. Basically, imagine if you could distill your life into its most important days, then at the end you have to write a graphic novel about it, it may look something like this. Or not. There may have been dust in my eye at the end.

I've read plenty of foreign (USA native here) GN over the years and just going by the Wikipedia entry, Daytripper (DC Comics) - Wikipedia, I missed some stuff. Enough translates over to keep it from being a deal breaker and it may be that I'll need to usual a sort of cultural cheat sheet for books like this going forward.

Read it, its not a dense book by any means and each chapter is a self contained story.

In worse news, I'm attempting to read Mr Miracle and halfway through.... meh. I don't know anything about the character (I'm not super deep into capebooks) and while clever enough, nothing is knocking my socks off. I'll keep going.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I always have been a little curious about Dylan Dog. But yeah, availability is certainly not one the series strong points.

By the way FunktionJCB I would say the thread is US and JP driven due to posters preference, but if people want to talk EU comics, please do !
I was raised on franco-belgian titles after all.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I grew up on asterix, and eu comics are great all their own. Discuss away, peeps!
French shit is great.

Guy Delisle, SnowPiecer, Marjane Satrapi and a lot of others.

This isn't to say that other 'European' comics aren't great, they are! Just france has a special place in my heart GN-wise.

Also, EVERYONE should read Lone Sloane. This came out before star wars people

Amazon product.

1973 people.

In further personal readings, I re read some of Kabuki Metamorphosis. What a fucking book.

David W. Mack people. And its like this, EVERY page, for 8 monthly sized books.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Morning.

I finished Mister Miracle (2017).

I'm thinking about it the next morning, which is a hallmark of any quality media (in my estimation). If it sticks with you then there's a lot to chew on, mentally.

Layers.

Unfortunately, the first couple of layers were the hardest for me to crack, simply because I had NO IDEA who any of the main players were and the exposition was bare bones, to say the least. I couldn't wrap my head around were these characters fit in the DC universe or what powers they had. Now, you would think that explicit knowledge of a characters powers isn't a needed in order to buy into a certain plotline/arc. I would say that it isn't always needed but its very much a requirement if you're asking me to buy into the idea of a super being getting caught in traffic, balancing a budget or dropping by the corner store. I had so many questions about were this series fit in with the preceding books that I caved and read 'explanation' articles. Turns out, I was missing a fuckload of important developments in the preceding series , that in context, would have made the story far easier to begin and the character developments more impactful.

This is kind of why Cape books, even books with the richness of this one that takes the 'superhero comic' wrapping and works in the debate of nature vs nurture, how to stay human in the of the horror of war, the mudane annoyances of modern life, the scars of childhood abuse, the value of strangers lives vs your families (shit goes places yo); often are difficult for me immerse myself in. I had the exact same issue with Immortal Hulk, within 35 pages it was dropping callbacks and characters that were just complete blank spots to me. And of course, only surface level recaps where provided to new comers, as is befitting all superhero media. (Where do you think that MCU got its requirement that you need to see ALL films to truly 'get it' from?)

So, read and savor but do some homework ahead of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 113

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
It has been some months and I feared forgetting too much about it so I started the next Berserk volume. Can’t wait for Golden Age to finish (only one ep left), for as interesting as the main relationship triangle may be, with hate/homosexuality/sadomaso undertones, it’s generally boring and slow. It’s not bad, but after presenting us with godlikes being more fitting a Clive Barker book than your vanilla fantasy, it’s slow.

Then I finally read Dorihedoro 1 and that’s weird litterature, The Manga. Lot of interesting ideas, not the least to present the other side lives and struggle. Main letdown would be that the main arc pales in comparison for now. Protag motivation is nice but very straightforward, when the other side is layers upon layers of motivation and secrets.
Did they tone down the anime ? This is super gross at times.

Doro rough drawing style made me remember Blame. Is it good ? (I can predict the answer but curious about your opinions).

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
The switch from Guts' dark and twisted hunt of these demonic monsters and demi-gods to learning of his depressing upbringing and him joining the Band of the Hawk was a shocking turn at least for its time.
Golden Age is still good IMO,
Griffith losing his shit just shows that he isn't infallible, and his hubris is what damns the people around him.

Reactions: Li Kao

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Then I finally read Dorihedoro 1 and that’s weird litterature, The Manga. Lot of interesting ideas, not the least to present the other side lives and struggle. Main letdown would be that the main arc pales in comparison for now. Protag motivation is nice but very straightforward, when the other side is layers upon layers of motivation and secrets.
Did they tone down the anime ? This is super gross at times.
It's as much a fucked up slice of life manga as it is a fucked up action/mystery manga~.
The anime is very faithful, thankfully. Tbh trying to create a toned down version of it is a fools errand. Casual gore and hyper-violence are just part of its identity. Might as well air a black screen with voice over for 20 minutes if you tried that.

Doro rough drawing style made me remember Blame. Is it good ? (I can predict the answer but curious about your opinions).
Funny you say that, Q Hashida (Dorohedoro mangaka) was working as an assistant for Tsutomu Nihei (Blame! mangaka) :coffee-blob:
I love everything Nihei, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Blame! is excellent, but incomprehensible, gritty cyberpunk. You'll likely have no idea wtf is going on most of the time, but that doesn't make soaking in the world any less fascinating.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The switch from Guts' dark and twisted hunt of these demonic monsters and demi-gods to learning of his depressing upbringing and him joining the Band of the Hawk was a shocking turn at least for its time.
Golden Age is still good IMO,
It certainly has importance and is interesting regarding the character. And now that you mention it, it's maybe a good change of pace showing we are not in a shonen with battle after battle.
But I'm glad it is ending nonetheless, I really loved the twisted demi-gods :p
Didn't read your spoiler as I think I'm just 1 ep short of completing the arc.

BTW people, are there other seinen that you would recommend ? Reading Doro has shown that I have far more attention to this type of manga than the ones targeted at younger people. Which is, well, logical.
I'm not fishing for traumas or horribly gore things, just good adult manga.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Seinen? Hmm well Chi's Sweet Home and its successor series are Seinen ;P

That's it off the top of my head ATM sadly.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
BTW people, are there other seinen that you would recommend ? Reading Doro has shown that I have far more attention to this type of manga than the ones targeted at younger people. Which is, well, logical.
Anything by Hitoshi Iwaaki is good

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Anything by Hitoshi Iwaaki is good
True.
I should have continued reading Parasyte and the other one about a secret old Japanese village, but it’s at this time that I got super fed up with scanlation.
I really should look for them.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Finished Berserk v5.
Gotta say, without commenting on its quality, that when I saw that the arc following Golden Age was titled, subtetly be damned, Nosferatu Zodd... that I was all ‘sign me the fuck up, motherfucker !’
I mean, NOSFERATU ZODD !

Reactions: Tizoc

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Finished reading through Dorohedoro. What a ride. I still really hope there will be more seasons for the anime.

So now I kind of am looking for something else to read, ideally something that is already completed - any recommendations?
I generally read everything as long as it's good, but I'm not too much of a slice-of-life person.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Finished Berserk v5.
Gotta say, without commenting on its quality, that when I saw that the arc following Golden Age was titled, subtetly be damned, Nosferatu Zodd... that I was all ‘sign me the fuck up, motherfucker !’
I mean, NOSFERATU ZODD !
Buckle up
It is gonna get more wild soon.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Beginning to be more and more aware of the difference between what I want to read (everything) and what I truly appreciate (far from fucking everything).
I have one year of comics to catch up on, and while the idea of skipping to now for 90% of them seem heretical, I'm more aware than ever that I won't be able to bridge the gap in a timely manner, and above all else that some things should just be left behind.

I was far more interested in Dorohedoro and Berserk than on some piss poor excuse for a comic book put together to feed a bottom line. And there are so many good comic book runs worthy of a read from years past.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just ordered Aposimz Vol 5 which came out yesterday and while looking I found a new full color Master Edition for volume 1 (that also came out yesterday). It's kinda pricy (30€) compared to ye olde black and white but it does look great from the one single image I could find of it.

:sweaty-blob: :thinking-face: :grimacing-face: 💸

Must... resist...
Ah fuck it. For science!

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Was in the mood for some comics and decided to read Hickman's Powers/House of X

Now I've not read any X-books for the better part of 5+ years or so. I went in blind and you know what
so should you, too

BTW the guy in the X helmet is Xavier. Yes he can walk. Again. I did not know that until someone in the book referred to him as such :V
There'll be characters you don't know but Hickman's writing and the story will keep you gripped throughout.

If anything, it encompasses a lot fo the elements that the X-Men books have been doing over the decades. It may not all be apparent but for me I did find it funny how some elements of it are utilized in the book
like the resurrection element. Various X-Men die and come back. this book gives one utilization of it and i found it hilariously impressive

While I do have some gripes with it, it is still a solid read and recommend reading it.

If anything it has a happy ending and one I think is well deserving for the X-peeps. One of my biggest gripes though is that for whatever odd reason, they have Jean Grey (yes she's alive again) her classic outfit and that mask just does not work. Mind you I prefer a butterfly motif instead sooooo....
but no seriously that mask does. not. work. In 2019 and 2020, stop trying, Marvel :V

Last edited:

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Have been reading Berserk last week due it was mentioned to be somewhat Dark Souls (dark fantasy) style. Holy shit at the book 14 :rolleyes:

It's not getting any easier is it?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Have been reading Berserk last week due it was mentioned to be somewhat Dark Souls (dark fantasy) style. Holy shit at the book 14 :rolleyes:

It's not getting any easier is it?
Having read 5-6 books and feeling it was already dark enough, I'm scared :sweaty-blob:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Really missing out on my library visits. I've been tempted to get a few months of comixology but I'm running right up against my deep and powerful hatred of Amazon.

Sigh.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Dorohedoro is so good that it may finally push me to do the right thing, as in drop 90% of 1 year comic catch up and monthlies.
When you can read genuinely good things, whatever their origin, why read a ton of books just for the sake of continuity or shared universe ?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm trying to catch up on Domestic Girlfriend and well, it was "good" for the first 100+ chapters but once you get to 200+ that's when it becomes rather meh.
I just need about 30 more chapters to be caught up. Maybe it will get better? Or maybe the series just ran for way to long?

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
A problem some mangas suffer from is that they end up being too long for their own good.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I tried Blame !
I didn't understand Blame !
I wanted to ask for a refund from Ascheroth !

More seriously yeah, it's quite different from other manga, extremely silent, nothing is explained, the world is in a perpetual state of unclearness. But then I stopped trying to be in command and enjoyed it for what it brought, and it's good. Backgrounds are sumptuous, every mechanical design is great. And the fog is lifting little by little.
Another title that pushes me to drop a lot of books I read for the sake of having read them and not for pleasure.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Was in the mood for some comics and decided to read Hickman's Powers/House of X

Now I've not read any X-books for the better part of 5+ years or so. I went in blind and you know what
so should you, too

BTW the guy in the X helmet is Xavier. Yes he can walk. Again. I did not know that until someone in the book referred to him as such :V
There'll be characters you don't know but Hickman's writing and the story will keep you gripped throughout.

If anything, it encompasses a lot fo the elements that the X-Men books have been doing over the decades. It may not all be apparent but for me I did find it funny how some elements of it are utilized in the book
like the resurrection element. Various X-Men die and come back. this book gives one utilization of it and i found it hilariously impressive

While I do have some gripes with it, it is still a solid read and recommend reading it.

If anything it has a happy ending and one I think is well deserving for the X-peeps. One of my biggest gripes though is that for whatever odd reason, they have Jean Grey (yes she's alive again) her classic outfit and that mask just does not work. Mind you I prefer a butterfly motif instead sooooo....
but no seriously that mask does. not. work. In 2019 and 2020, stop trying, Marvel :V
I have not read X-Men in since Onslaught. I might have you beat.

I'm getting back into comics. Momentum killed because COVID-19. Closed my library which has a substantial graphic novel collection.

I want to get back to reading and adding to my collection. My library already owns so much!!!!

Last edited:
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I have not read X-Men in since Onslaught. I might have you beat.

I'm getting back into comics. Momentum killed because COVID-19. Closed my library which has a substantial graphic novel collection.

I want to get back to reading and adding to my collection. My library already owns so much!!!!
Dang Onslaught, you have A LOT of catching up to do if you want to XP the 2000s was a great period for X-Books:
Morrison's run
Joss Whedon's run
X-Statix series
X-Factor by Peter David
Various X-Force series
Greg Rucka's Wolverine series among other writers' runs

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Dang Onslaught, you have A LOT of catching up to do if you want to XP the 2000s was a great period for X-Books:
Morrison's run
Joss Whedon's run
X-Statix series
X-Factor by Peter David
Various X-Force series
Greg Rucka's Wolverine series among other writers' runs
It's safe to assume that Spider-Man Clone Saga + Onslaught is the Marvel double-whammy that pushed me out of comics. Then the ensuing Ultimate/alternative dimension world/reality stuff? I understand that they have to come up with fresh ideas to keep selling stories, but I'm very traditional, canonical. I peeped once that like, Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Magneto, Ice Queen had joined the X-Men and I was like....but those are villains. How is this possible?

And so I just stopped paying attention.

MCU brought me back. I began reading Christopher Priest's run of Black Panther, and now I'm on Reggie Hudlin's, which I like better. I know that Priest is credited for our modern interpretation of BP, but in that series, he’s too mysterious, and Ross as a “hype man” is…significantly less serious than The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, or He Who Laughs.

I'm catching up. I read...dubiously digital copies of Y: The Last Man and most of TWD up until the showodwn between Rick and Negan was resolved. Before I got alt-banned at the other place, I was able to secure hardcovers of the entire TWD series from one of the comics folks there for a fraction of the ebay listing price. I shoulda tried to buy more because I have cash to burn, but I didn't know what to get.

I think what I'll do is try to knock out the big finished works, like SAGA and Sandman. I hear Swamp Thing is good. Let me do those and I'll double-back to the superhero stuff.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It's safe to assume that Spider-Man Clone Saga + Onslaught is the Marvel double-whammy that pushed me out of comics. Then the ensuing Ultimate/alternative dimension world/reality stuff? I understand that they have to come up with fresh ideas to keep selling stories, but I'm very traditional, canonical. I peeped once that like, Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Magneto, Ice Queen had joined the X-Men and I was like....but those are villains. How is this possible?

And so I just stopped paying attention.

MCU brought me back. I began reading Christopher Priest's run of Black Panther, and now I'm on Reggie Hudlin's, which I like better. I know that Priest is credited for our modern interpretation of BP, but in that series, he’s too mysterious, and Ross as a “hype man” is…significantly less serious than The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, or He Who Laughs.

I'm catching up. I read...dubiously digital copies of Y: The Last Man and most of TWD up until the showodwn between Rick and Negan was resolved. Before I got alt-banned at the other place, I was able to secure hardcovers of the entire TWD series from one of the comics folks there for a fraction of the ebay listing price. I shoulda tried to buy more because I have cash to burn, but I didn't know what to get.

I think what I'll do is try to knock out the big finished works, like SAGA and Sandman. I hear Swamp Thing is good. Let me do those and I'll double-back to the superhero stuff.
90s Marvel is mainly bad when it comes to its mainline stuff like Spidey and the X-Men, there are some good stuff though like Deadpool and Priest's Black Panther runs.

The 2000s is when they got back on their feet with many great titles IMO.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Yeah JoJo Part 8 is def. nearing its conclusion now~
...in about a year or two at Araki's current pace :V

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I decided to do the reasonable thing, for once ! Having already read several Judge Dredd Complete Case Files but skipped to 'America' before reading modern Dredd, as is often recommended.
I expected feels, but man I wasn't totally prepared for that :sweaty-blob:

Skipping was smooth overall, but some things were expectedly lost in translation. Did someone say to Dredd to shut up ? You wot, m8 ?
I'm left wondering what is Dredd standing in the modern era.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I just checked and if I really found the same blog post, the advice is to read
1/ Complete Case Files #05 - it contains some very important stories
2/ America
3/ Get to more recent storylines

I still thinks some earlier Case Files are worth it, with the first appearance of Judge Death for example, but at first glance it looks like solid advice.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Also new Berserk chapter is releasing soon as spoilers are now out.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I somewhat recently discovered Skottie Young (I'm not a comics connaisseur by any stretch of the imagination...) and I really like his stuff.

I really -really- like his art... I love the freehand "organic" style he has and he reminds me of an italian artist called Stefano Intini.

For reference, here's Stefano's art:

Even though Middlewest isn't drawn by Skottie, the art is absolutely wonderful and both I Hate Fairyland and Middlewest are colored by Jean-François Beaulieu, whose use of colour is mesmerizing.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've read through You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead today and boy that was a wild ride, and an overall excellent read.

Jun Kishida is a sickly high school student who can see dead people. One person in particular is following him around: his childhood friend Ryoko Hayakawa. Even after he uncovered the truth behind Hayakawa's death, she stayed by his side. As he and his classmates get into even more strange and mortally dangerous situations, Hayakawa's spirit quietly aids him.
It's a mix of horror, horror parody, straight up weirdness, and bizarre comedy? I can't really describe it, but it sure has been an incredibly captivating journey.
It's pretty much episodic, but there are quite a few recurring side characters and sub-plots.
Great art too. It can be very graphic, creepy and disgusting, but also cute.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
If anyone here was reading Act-Age, they probably know already, but it's cancelled because the author got arrested for sexually assaulting two junior high school girls.

Shueisha statement:

On the cancellation of serialization for Act-Age

Matsuki Tatsuya, the writer of Act-Age was arrested on August 8, 2020.

The editorial department takes this situation very seriously, and after confirming the matter and discussing it with Shiro Usazaki Sensei, the artist for the series, we have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to continue with its serialization. The chapter that is in combined issue 36/37 of Weekly Shonen Jump will be the final chapter.

It is extremely unfortunate to have to end a series that has received so much support from so many readers in this way. However, this decision was made because of the nature of the incident, and because Weekly Shonen Jump recognizes the weight of its social responsibility.

We offer our deepest regrets and apologies to our readers. This is a difficult time for Usazaki Sensei, but the editorial department offers Usazaki Sensei our support and encouragement for future works.

Information about graphic novel volumes and related publications and events will be announced as they are decided.

August 10, 2020
Shonen Jump Editorial Department
Hopefully the artist quickly lands on her feet again.