Community The Emulation Thread - When That PC Port Just Ain't Happening

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Woot, Naomi 2 support has already/finally made its way to the libretro Flycast core (still experimental, I guess).

Sadly the mattias crt shader I've been using as a no hassle catch-all solution wrecks their look with overbrightened areas everywhere so I switched to lottes 😿

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I should really try emulation on the Deck. Games like Culdcept, Fortune Street or Dokapon Kingdoms, should be great.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Reactions: Gelf

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Tried some DS game on the Deck and... I'm beginning to have very clear feelings towards games that 'condition' the music and sfx on the fps.
Once doubled the internal resolution, 3d games are quite glorious ! Then you lose 1-2 fps and you feel musically assaulted :disapproval-blob:

I have to play the games in ugly mode because of some stupid 3-5 fps hiccups. Not amused.

• Sad
Reactions: Pommes and lashman

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Tried some DS game on the Deck and... I'm beginning to have very clear feelings towards games that 'condition' the music and sfx on the fps.
Once doubled the internal resolution, 3d games are quite glorious ! Then you lose 1-2 fps and you feel musically assaulted :disapproval-blob:

I have to play the games in ugly mode because of some stupid 3-5 fps hiccups. Not amused.
This is sadly the norm with old games, especially on handhelds. These games basically tied everything to framerate-cycles since they were only ever meant to run on that particular hardware with an exactly predetermined amount of CPU/GPU cycles so anything that derivatives from that causes issues sadly :frowning-face-with-open-mouth:

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I forgot to post this here. The original game's translation is also up to v2.1, polished and professional.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have been looking into getting an analogue pocket lately. The device is a dream come true. Games looks and runs great on it without deviating too much from original hardware. IMHO playing handheld games (excluding PSP) on PC or other devices through emulation just feels wrong.

The thing is selling double of its MSRP on ebay but honestly I don't really want to wait for the 2023 batch. God knows if it will be delayed to 2024 considering the current global logistics and supply conditions. Gotta save up for a few months then grab it on ebay later this year.

Reactions: C-Dub

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yesterday I played the demo of Kirby 2022 on switch and it was great !
Then I remembered I had just nuked my budget on a Switch and ended up playing Kirby's Adventure on NES
It's good and historically interesting, don't get me wrong, but...

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
So all of you playing games on original hardware, how do you solve the CRT issue ? Maybe you still have one but they won't be eternal. Are there solution to obtain the same picture on a newer screen ?
Not important, just dreaming of being able to collect old games.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
So all of you playing games on original hardware, how do you solve the CRT issue ? Maybe you still have one but they won't be eternal. Are there solution to obtain the same picture on a newer screen ?
Not important, just dreaming of being able to collect old games.
Retrotink 5x has a lot of scanline presets. Although this video is a bit outdated, see around 9:30

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Tinkering a little here because thanks insomnia, but it jumped at me that, for Xenoblade 1 and 2 where I have fps fluctuating between 25-30 on the regular... could it simply be a memory issue ?
In the screenshot above you can see that neither GPU nor CPU are close to being stressed out (and it was at a high cpu time, it was lower just before). And on the other hand I have 'just' 16go of RAM. Couldn't it be the bottleneck ?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Or that's just how the Switch ran the games (if you don't get issues like sound distortions etc.)? You'll need mods to run games above what they were on Switch.

Edit: it seems that's the case for Xenoblade 2, plus some potential memory leak causing even worse performance until a restart, but the DE should be better.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Or that's just how the Switch ran the games (if you don't get issues like sound distortions etc.)? You'll need mods to run games above what they were on Switch.
Hmm, I guess so. Didn’t take the possibility that the games run so-so on switch into account. But to be precise I just would have liked stable 30fps, no more. My issue is that even 5fps drops can be noticeable during gameplay.

Reactions: QFNS

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Just try the 60fps mod and see if that makes a difference. You'll probably need a beastly rig with large CPU core/threads count, though.

Reactions: Li Kao and QFNS

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What happen if you are bottlenecked by RAM ? Does the emulator crash ?

Because yeah, as shown I was at a good 10Go and I just checked the system more or less use 5. Depends on if the browser is open but yeah, give or take.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
RPCS3 is pretty great.

These days you can even play Demon's Souls online in a community-run server.

I still have my PS3 installed in the TV cabinet, so normally I just use that to rip my games. After moving the directory to my NAS, then it's a simple matter of creating the Steam shortcuts.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Neat, I'm just dumping the data from my MGS4 disc, no idea what to do next really lol

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Playing Kirby 64 now. The state of the emulation is all kinds of eek. Not sure if it's the emu or 64 emulation in general being bad.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
So MGS4 launches but crashes loads. Apparerntly it's a really unstable game to emulate which sucks.

Trying Demons Souls now

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Xenoblade Chronicles DE works in Yuzu on Steam Deck. 26-33 fps because I forgot about the integrated fps limiter of the Deck.
I thought it would be interesting to try, to determine where I would play the game.
I'm now more undecided than ever.

Can you die of indecision ?

• Comfy

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Xenoblade Chronicles DE works in Yuzu on Steam Deck. 26-33 fps because I forgot about the integrated fps limiter of the Deck.
I thought it would be interesting to try, to determine where I would play the game.
I'm now more undecided than ever.

Can you die of indecision ?
I always follow one old saying from an unknown wise man:

Just play the damned game. :LOL:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I always follow one old saying from an unknown wise man:

Just play the damned game. :LOL:
Oh yeah, it's incredible how all this shit I'm glued in can simply be solved by 'you want to play ? then fucking play'.
I achieve putting so many layers of indecision and questions for such a simple answer, it's kind of a feat :anguished-face:

• Toucan
  • Comfy
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I finished Demon's Souls on RPCS3 with mostly native settings around the time the Remake hit, it was a pretty good game. Then I didn't really care for other exclusives and deleted it, though I should have probably tried the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, see how 60 fps improves Peace Walker vs my PSP run etc., shame they didn't include Portable Ops in it just because Kojima wasn't involved even though he adopted (if not twisted) many of its ideas for his own sequels.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Jeez, I don't want to go conspiracy theorist but since the Deck has been released Yuzu and Ryujinx are updating so often.
Like I could have sworn I updated Ryujinx yesterday, and yet...

Edit -
It's probably a coincidence, Ryuujinx on Deck is shit after all :so-good-blob:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I've played Demon's Souls on RPCS3 and its quite good except that you can actually get a framerate that is decent (30->60 depending on your machine). LOL. Its probably better than on PS3 in almost every case. excepting the online is kinda jank. Though it does seem to work the little bit I tested.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
True 2160p native?!!!

Is it time to retire my Framemeister? :flare_think:
In the reply, Mike said it will only output 4K and may price it over $500. Personally I don't plan to do 4K gaming soon so 5X Pro is totally good enough for me. ;)

• Comfy

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I've been playing Metal Gear Solid. It's pretty cool and smart and tough and stuff. Are there more great games like it, other than the pre-Solid Metal Gear games?

Perfect Dark for the GBC seemed kind of similar at first but it's far clumsier game, though some of the character animation is pretty spectacular for the platform.

Last edited:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
In the reply, Mike said it will only output 4K and may price it over $500. Personally I don't plan to do 4K gaming soon so 5X Pro is totally good enough for me.
I have a real need for a box which can output integer scaled video in native 2160p. As much as I love the LG OLED, its upscaling capability isn't exactly the best. It would be nice if this new 4K-Tink box has HDMI input, so I can run my Switch through it (while passing through multichannel audio -- something that the Framemeister couldn't do).

• This!

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have a real need for a box which can output integer scaled video in native 2160p. As much as I love the LG OLED, its upscaling capability isn't exactly the best. It would be nice if this new 4K-Tink box has HDMI input, so I can run my Switch through it (while passing through multichannel audio -- something that the Framemeister couldn't do).
Oh, I didn't thought about this. Having a HDMI input would be a game changer for all the HD consoles. In the reply Mike did say the test PCB only has HDMI input so I guess he will make it a feature for the Tink4K. :hushed-face:

• Comfy

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The impressive semi-3D (no extra cart chip) Kawasaki Superbike Challenge for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. Turbo mode = smaller/lower graphics and faster fps. There was even some real time day/night (or maybe weather, I have no idea) stuff, causing the palette to change from darker to far more vibrant mid-race.

The system got two more similar games, all derived from Vroom for the Amiga. F1/Formula One which looks a lot like this and F1 World Championship Edition which goes for a more realistic look, adds cloud and stuff, but imo overall looks worse (and I can't find a Turbo mode for it either, maybe it's a password unlock).

Last edited:
  • Gib
Reactions: Stevey and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Bare Knucle 3 English Patched. It seems people find it to be better translated and a more balanced and less cheap/tough game than Streets of Rage 3. I like it.

• Love
Reactions: Stevey and lashman